Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Kynetx posted:

Why do you need a screen protector? Do you work in an environment where sand is an issue?

I'm going to quote this incredibly hilarious myopic comment so it can never go away. Yes I need a screen protector because sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Tubesock posted:

Whats the availability of the 8gb nexus 7? Ive been looking around and it seems like its hard to find in stores. Is the google play store pretty much the only source? I usually buy my computer junk on amazon or newegg and they don't have it.

The 8gb Nexus is only sold by Google Play because it's such a low margin item

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

tofes posted:

The 8gb Nexus is only sold by Google Play because it's such a low margin item

That's actually not true anymore, Staples carries the 8gb. The site says that several Staples in my area have them in stock.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Coming from an iPad 3 (and 2, and original) I agree. This thing is the perfect size for a tablet since I'm doing 100% consumption and no creation.

A 10" convertible like the Transformer is better suited if you're going to do word processing or other productivity-related stuff, but I think that's a relatively small segment of the tablet market. I think that's where Windows 8 is going to shine.

I ended up deciding that for me the Nexus 7 is too close to the size of a phone screen to be necessary -- I ended up using my iPhone for most tasks even when the Nexus 7 was near, just because its screen looks better and I can't function without Tweetbot. Where I think the Nexus 7 form factor excels is in reading books and other long-form content; the only problem for me is that I dislike reading on screens, and if you're going to read on a screen it's hard to be satisfied with the 7's if you've used a new iPad.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Coredump posted:

I'm going to quote this incredibly hilarious myopic comment so it can never go away. Yes I need a screen protector because sand.

If you don't mind, I'd like you to tell me why I need a possibly blurry, possibly grabby, possibly bubble-ridden, possibly loose piece of cling-film to cover a glass that is around 6.8 on the Mohs scale?
Yes, it is POSSIBLE to have random encounters with debris of higher hardness. Keep in mind that a screen protector will not protect against high-pressure (small surface area) impacts, since the glass will likely crack, or the protector will tear.

I know anecdotal evidence isn't really all that valuable, but here is an example of how tough this poo poo is.
1. I dropped my Epic Touch and managed to slow the fall with the toe of my boot. It hit my VERY steeply sloped concrete/aggregate driveway and slid about 10 feet... face down. There were very superficial scratches along the very edge (where the screen meets the case, not the facing surface) of the screen that aren't visible when it's on.

2. My TF-101. My wedding ring is tungsten(7.5 to 8 on the Mohs scale). When I handle steel (even stainless) or aluminum I have to take it off so I don't scratch up whatever I'm holding. I've never taken such precautions with my tablet and as a result, the aluminum case is a bit dinged up where my left hand lands on the case. I KNOW that I've held it in a way that brings my ring in contact with the screen, but no scratches.

So, either treat your stuff better or stop being OCD about wear and tear.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Has anyone received a DodoCase yet for the Nexus 7? How do you like it? Do you feel as if the adhesive would cause the device to fall out of the case?

Now that's it been out for a while (the N7), I'm looking for a solid case, and this seems to be the one that keeps popping up.

FWIW, I have a cheap rooCase that is good, but it adds to the thickness of the device.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Kynetx posted:

If you don't mind, I'd like you to tell me why I need a possibly blurry, possibly grabby, possibly bubble-ridden, possibly loose piece of cling-film to cover a glass that is around 6.8 on the Mohs scale?
Yes, it is POSSIBLE to have random encounters with debris of higher hardness. Keep in mind that a screen protector will not protect against high-pressure (small surface area) impacts, since the glass will likely crack, or the protector will tear.

I know anecdotal evidence isn't really all that valuable, but here is an example of how tough this poo poo is.
1. I dropped my Epic Touch and managed to slow the fall with the toe of my boot. It hit my VERY steeply sloped concrete/aggregate driveway and slid about 10 feet... face down. There were very superficial scratches along the very edge (where the screen meets the case, not the facing surface) of the screen that aren't visible when it's on.

2. My TF-101. My wedding ring is tungsten(7.5 to 8 on the Mohs scale). When I handle steel (even stainless) or aluminum I have to take it off so I don't scratch up whatever I'm holding. I've never taken such precautions with my tablet and as a result, the aluminum case is a bit dinged up where my left hand lands on the case. I KNOW that I've held it in a way that brings my ring in contact with the screen, but no scratches.

Yes, it's hard to scratch the glass on phones/tablets. No, I do not, have never, and never plan to use a screen protector.

But why the gently caress does it matter to you what this guy wants to do with his device? If he wants a screen protector that (negligibly) reduces the screen quality in order to give him better piece of mind he can go hog wild.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Kynetx posted:

Can we stop this dumbshit assumption that gorilla glass is impervious to everything? I have a gorilla glass Atrix that's never been in contact with keys or coins and it still has a shitload of scratches and I wish I had put a film on it when I got the thing.

I have put clear screen protectors on almost every touch device I own and they have served me well. They are not bubbly because I know how to apply them. They're not blurry, clingy or loose because they aren't made that way and if that's the kind of screen protector you've encountered it's no wonder you don't like them because you found yourself some kind of lovely product.

I've replaced screen protectors that had absorbed scratches from sand, concrete, gravel, use by children, time spent in purses and other things that would eventually mess up even a hardened piece of glass - instead I just peel off the $1 film and put a new one on.

I've also sold phones where I took the screen protector off in front of the buyer to reveal a pristine, perfect piece of glass underneath that made them extremely happy and willing to pay more for the device.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Syrinxx posted:

Can we stop this dumbshit assumption that gorilla glass is impervious to everything? I have a gorilla glass Atrix that's never been in contact with keys or coins and it still has a shitload of scratches and I wish I had put a film on it when I got the thing.

I agree with your point about letting people do what they want, but...

How does this happen? I mean...I don't use screen protectors and I'm not particularly careful with my phone and my N1 with 2 years of usage had zero scratches on the screen, and my GNex has one very very minor one that you have to search for after something like 6 months of usage.

Where do you store your phone and where do you go with it to get a "shitload of scratches"?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thermopyle posted:

How does this happen? I mean...I don't use screen protectors and I'm not particularly careful with my phone and my N1 with 2 years of usage had zero scratches on the screen, and my GNex has one very very minor one that you have to search for after something like 6 months of usage.

Where do you store your phone and where do you go with it to get a "shitload of scratches"?
That's the odd thing; it's my dedicated audiobook player so it literally goes from my house to my car and that's it. It goes in the center console a few times a week and occasionally into my office for a CM9 update but it doesn't even go into a pocket or get used much. It has dozens of very small scratches on the glass. I've had and used the phone for a year or so.

e: I know this is the tablet thread so I don't mean to derail. I put screen films on my tablets too because they seem even more likely to aquire scuffs and scratches just based on the larger screen size and the way they are handled. (Although I'd guess they are not dropped nearly as often)

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 9, 2012

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

My N1 has 6 scratches/dings you can see when the screen is off and clean and a dozen more faint ones that you can find if you're really looking for them. I treat mine exactly how you described.

poo poo just happens. Like that one guy said, sand will scratch it and sand more or less covers the whole planet.

It's not hard to see why someone would want a screen protector if they don't mind them. If I had one my N1 would be in better shape and if you had one your GNex would be in better shape, that's it.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Echoing that my Droid X got scratched as hell just by sitting in the same pocket as my keys. It makes sense, hundreds or thousands of repetitive rubbing motions (hurr) are likely to cause a scratch at some point.

There are lovely screen protectors though - some of those wet application ones give a nasty orange peel effect to the screen.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Radbot posted:

Echoing that my Droid X got scratched as hell just by sitting in the same pocket as my keys. It makes sense, hundreds or thousands of repetitive rubbing motions (hurr) are likely to cause a scratch at some point.

Yeah, that's one thing I don't do because...why the hell would you do that?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thermopyle posted:

Probably because we've constantly been told that it's indestructible and keys won't hurt it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

Probably because we've constantly been told that it's indestructible and keys won't hurt it.

Yeah, I guess thats true. It just seems like tempting fate for me. Like..."hey, I'm wearing a seatbelt, so let's get crazy!"

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Radbot posted:

There are lovely screen protectors though - some of those wet application ones give a nasty orange peel effect to the screen.
I abused the hell out of my Droid X. It got scratches and dents all over the edges, scuffs on the corners and the coating on the battery cover started to peel off. Not a scratch on the screen, though, and I never used a protector. My Galaxy Nexus screen also doesn't have any scratches.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I abused the hell out of my Droid X. It got scratches and dents all over the edges, scuffs on the corners and the coating on the battery cover started to peel off. Not a scratch on the screen, though, and I never used a protector. My Galaxy Nexus screen also doesn't have any scratches.

The Droid X also had a backing that was about as soft as polyurethane, so there shouldn't really have been any surprise to see it scratched if you didn't baby it. I had one and was fortunate at the time to only have it scuff a little from being dropped.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

gucci void main posted:

The Droid X also had a backing that was about as soft as polyurethane, so there shouldn't really have been any surprise to see it scratched if you didn't baby it. I had one and was fortunate at the time to only have it scuff a little from being dropped.

After it came off enough, I peeled the entire battery cover down to the bare metal and took it to the buffer at work. Got a lot of "what phone is that" afterward.

My girlfriend has the same phone and she keeps it in her purse with all sorts of poo poo and it doesn't have any scratches or peeling coating. I think her phone is a later revision because the power button is more clicky and the battery tab is a different color, so maybe they changed the coating after finding out that it came off really easily.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

OK, so 2 questions come to mind:

1. We should perhaps define an unacceptable scratch. If I thoroughly clean the screen and look at it so that the reflection can perfectly expose any defect, yes, I can see a handful of miniscule scratches that are only visible when I am deliberately looking. You'd have to be a real hard-on to care about a scratch that is utterly invisible except under specific circumstances, none of which include using the device.

2. Maybe you giant man-children need to start treating the things bought with your (or a loved one's) hard-earned money with a bit of care. I havent scratched a screen since the plastic resistive digitizers were all you could get. I guess I just don't beat the poo poo out of my tools.

Also, sand-covered planet? Where the gently caress do you live where your environment is sand covered? I guess if you're constantly covered in dirt for your work, I can see it. Otherwise, where is all this sand coming from?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Kynetx posted:

Also, sand-covered planet? Where the gently caress do you live where your environment is sand covered? I guess if you're constantly covered in dirt for your work, I can see it. Otherwise, where is all this sand coming from?
Personally I live in Albuquerque which is literally in the middle of the loving desert so yeah. Sand. You can see this amazing environment in action by watching any episode of Breaking Bad.

e: This came across as extra sassy but I didn't mean it to. Its just gritty around here.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 9, 2012

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
The Spice must flow!

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

No, hundreds or thousands of repetitive rubbing motions of keys on glass will not scratch the glass. Because keys have a Mohs hardness between 3 and 4, and even regular glass has a hardness of 5.5. And the Mohs scale is defined by which materials will scratch other materials - higher numbers scratch lower numbers, lower numbers do not scratch higher numbers. So keys won't even scratch a regular glass screen, much less a hardened one like Gorilla glass.

However, quartz (hardness 7.0) will scratch even hardened glass and quartz is the most common mineral on land and the primary component of sand. Even people who don't live in the desert/by the ocean are liable to be around quartz fairly often. Personally, I live in the desert and use a screen protector on my phone because it's in and out of my pocket multiple times a day, but don't use a protector on my tablet because it stays in it's case most of the time, and I don't pull it out to check on something all the time like I do with my phone.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?
So if money is no concern and I want a laptop replacement that's also more mobile to be productive wherever I am I should get the Infinity and not look back, right?

Err sorry, had both this and the "Recommend" threads open.

Kane fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 10, 2012

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

Personally I live in Albuquerque which is literally in the middle of the loving desert so yeah. Sand. You can see this amazing environment in action by watching any episode of Breaking Bad.

e: This came across as extra sassy but I didn't mean it to. Its just gritty around here.

I have thousands of tiny brown relatives in NM and spent a couple of years there myself (not including numerous summers and Christmases), so I have some familiarity with the local dust. AFAIK, something that fine isn't much of a worry. I think there has to be a combination of force, material hardness and the pressure/sharpness of the offending material. Keys are principally brass, but keychains could be made of anything. Pocket change is copper, nickel, zinc, etc which aren't particularly hard. A knife that is tempered to a high hardness could do the job, but why put a knife in the same pocket/bag as your multi-hundred dollar device?

Meh, I'm gonna stop beating this dead horse. Get off my lawn.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

Kynetx posted:

It doesn't have to be great heaping dunes of it. If you are near plants, you are near sand, it's a large part of soil.

This is a dumb derail.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Alright, you know what? I'm going to accept responsibility for this derail. I was dick in my reply so I apologize Kynetx. Feel free to make horrible personal judgements about me necessary to come to the conclusion that I end up with scratches on my electronics. In the meantime, if someone sees a case with a built in screen protector holler out.

Also, does anyone have another recommendation for a stick on screen protector than skinomi? Or is skinomi one of the better ones out there? If I'm loving up all my electronics there's a good chance I hosed up installing the protector and if skinomi one of the better brands out there I'll try again.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Coredump posted:

In the meantime, if someone sees a case with a built in screen protector holler out.
This doesn't seem like a very practical idea for a touch screen device, presumably the screen protector wouldn't be attached which would make it pretty horrible to use.

I'm still on the hunt for a nice pouch for my N7, but I'm in the UK. All I want is a Neoprene thing with a zip/flap that doesn't feature some horrific colour/logo.

Edit: for example this thing looks okay except why is it giving birth to some kind of squashed purple shark? Can nobody just make a simple pouch?

I quite like the rooCase but they don't seem to be available over here.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 10, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I may end up getting one of the Waterfield Design cases for my Nexus 7.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/nexus-7-cases/nexus-7-cases.php

They're pricey, but they're also hand made in the US and of are drat high quality.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tunga posted:

I'm still on the hunt for a nice pouch for my N7, but I'm in the UK. All I want is a Neoprene thing with a zip/flap that doesn't feature some horrific colour/logo.

Edit: for example this thing looks okay except why is it giving birth to some kind of squashed purple shark? Can nobody just make a simple pouch?

I quite like the rooCase but they don't seem to be available over here.

My wife bought a couple of neoprene kindle sleeves from a pound shop, fits my needs the N7 pretty well.

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you
My first generation Nook neoprene case was a little large but close enough for my Nexus 7. When I bought a TPU skin for my nexus 7 it pretty much fits perfectly.

The TPU case I bought is : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LJKTGC/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

The Nook cover case I own is : http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/neoprene-case-in-storm/20874898?ean=183442003492

I've been pretty happy with this setup. The TPU gives me coverage in general, and the neoprene sleeve gives me protection so I can through my nexus into my bag without worrying it'll get messed up in there.

e: my advice - look for a sleeve or pouch of your preferred material for any similarly sized device (1st gen Nook, 1st get Kindle, Kindle Fire, etc), unless you demand an exact perfect fit, it'll likely be close.

cbubbles fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 10, 2012

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Tunga posted:

This doesn't seem like a very practical idea for a touch screen device, presumably the screen protector wouldn't be attached which would make it pretty horrible to use.

I've used Otterbox cases on an Evo and iPhone and they both worked great. I can't tell that the screen protector is causing any loss of sensitivity with the evo. The iPhone I've never used it without the case on it.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
This might be a weird question, but are there any apps/tweaks that will allow an android tablet to display two apps simultaneously? YouTube won't play when it loses focus, so if I try to hold a conversation in another IM app then I have to switch back and restart the video.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Karthe posted:

This might be a weird question, but are there any apps/tweaks that will allow an android tablet to display two apps simultaneously? YouTube won't play when it loses focus, so if I try to hold a conversation in another IM app then I have to switch back and restart the video.

Cornerstone is supposed to. I have no idea how to make it work.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Case update, 2 weeks in:

Purchased the MoKo case here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SA0NIY/
I am pleased. It works well, the magnetic thing turns off the tablet properly and you can have it standing up vertically or horizontally.

Just a FYI, this case does work.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

BoyBlunder posted:

Has anyone received a DodoCase yet for the Nexus 7? How do you like it? Do you feel as if the adhesive would cause the device to fall out of the case?

Now that's it been out for a while (the N7), I'm looking for a solid case, and this seems to be the one that keeps popping up.
Mine just arrived. First, they apparently manufacturer it to order, so that takes a week or two. I'm utterly shocked though that it shipped (via FedEx) from San Francisco to Toronto in a single day.

I really like it, and the flip-open functionality of the magnet is FANTASTIC. I actually find the power button problematic for me to hit on the N7. I also find that holding it like a book, the whole device just feels better balanced, easier and more convenient to hold. The adhesive seems quite good.

The form factor is excellent, and I really like the aesthetics of it. I got the red version and I think it looks really sharp. Other people haven't seen it yet though, heh.

The only thing I don't like about it is how the closure elastic sort of dangles when it's not in use. I have a Rhodia agenda that looks similar to the Dodocase, and the elastic on that is better proportioned... it's more flush with the cover when not actively closing the thing. I'm sure I'll get over it.

Another thing, the smart cover magnet is so convenient, but it makes the hassle of entering a security code more apparent. I wish there was a way I could use the device's location services to only make me input my pattern when I'm away from home.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

teethgrinder posted:

Another thing, the smart cover magnet is so convenient, but it makes the hassle of entering a security code more apparent. I wish there was a way I could use the device's location services to only make me input my pattern when I'm away from home.
Tasker can do this with this plugin, it doesn't work on every device but I'd imagine an AOSP N7 will be fine.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Coredump posted:

Alright, you know what? I'm going to accept responsibility for this derail. I was dick in my reply so I apologize Kynetx. Feel free to make horrible personal judgements about me necessary to come to the conclusion that I end up with scratches on my electronics.

Well, poo poo. Don't apologize. I probably need to be put in my place anyway.

A couple of years ago when I still had a resistive touchscreen device, I had decent luck with the Ghost Armor folks. Is there one in your local mall?

As for a case with a built-in protector, does such a thing exist?

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
The DodoCase for the N7 looks real nice but it's just so expensive to ship to the UK. I'll have to browse for some UK alternatives.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Do you think the adhesive will ruin the backing? Like if I decide to get a case, then a year down the road want to freestyle it without, would removing it wreck the back?

You know how you remove a sticker from new tupperware but it doesn't peel off clean so you're left with this sticky poo poo that never comes off, even after running it through the dishwasher 100 times, that sticky poo poo still sits there, think it would be like that?

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

IT Guy posted:

Do you think the adhesive will ruin the backing? Like if I decide to get a case, then a year down the road want to freestyle it without, would removing it wreck the back?

You know how you remove a sticker from new tupperware but it doesn't peel off clean so you're left with this sticky poo poo that never comes off, even after running it through the dishwasher 100 times, that sticky poo poo still sits there, think it would be like that?

I don't imagine WD-40 would be too harsh on the plastic to remove the residue. Perhaps that's moronic and there's a better alternative, but I'd definitely say there's easy ways of getting rid of that residue pretty easily.