Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Burning Mustache posted:

Thane always dies, no matter what

I was thinking about how Kai Leng stabs Kirrahe instead if you never go meet Thane in the hospital but then I guess Kepral's probably gets him in the end anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Opposing Farce posted:

I was thinking about how Kai Leng stabs Kirrahe instead if you never go meet Thane in the hospital but then I guess Kepral's probably gets him in the end anyway.

Oooh, fair enough. Yeah, didn't think of that :)
But yeah, you're right, because honestly, why would anybody skip meeting him? :colbert:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The last Shepard I finished all three games with was the most depressing hands down. Before I even started ME3, I already lost Wrex, Mordin, Tali, Garrus, Jacob, and Kasumi. ME3 felt very empty after you already played with everyone surviving. Ironically, Shepard himself survives ME3.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Opposing Farce posted:

Heh, I wonder what the reaction would be if doing this and picking Synthesis resulted in Thane living.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

magimix posted:

It is absolutely possible to have everyone loyal and save Kelly. Maximally, you get a two-mission window after the IFF mission before the kidnapping happens. If you do every available loyalty mission before hitting the IFF, you have time to do Legion's loyalty mission (and if that was the last mission on your roster, the kidnapping happens right thereafter).

Go through the relay right away after that, and bam, full loyalty, and Kelly can be saved also.

Edit: The ME2 run that led into my just-finished ME3 Infiltrator was number 29. I should probably do something special with ME2 run number 30 when I get round to it.

Does that include doing DLC missions or do they not count towards the amount of missions?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Teim posted:

Does that include doing DLC missions or do they not count towards the amount of missions?

:stare: That is a very good question. I'm going with "they don't count" in this instance, because that is in line with what happens on my own playthroughs. For example, I always leave Arrival for after the end-game, so after the IFF I have Arrival and Legion's loyalty mission available - but the kidnapping happens after Legion's loyalty mission nonetheless.

That said, I may well be missing all manner of nuance. Assignments might be treated differently from Missions, and loyalty missions might be treated differently from non-loyalty ones, for all I know. I've always had a mostly-empty roster by the time IFF rolls around. Out of 29 playthroughs, only one of them saw me have two loyalty missions remaining after the IFF mission (because I wanted to take Legion into Tali's mission).

Edit: By "don't count" I mean that they don't offset when the kidnapping happens. If you do the DLC stuff after the kidnapping, then yeah, your crew is hosed I'm sure.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Might as well do Shadow Broker now, that was fun. Shepard leaves no man behind! (Except Kaiden)

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Teim posted:

Might as well do Shadow Broker now, that was fun. Shepard leaves no man behind! (Except Kaiden)

A good Shepard :shepface:

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

BreakAtmo posted:

Heh, I wonder what the reaction would be if doing this and picking Synthesis resulted in Thane living.

Would be kind of awesome, actually. But it would also be a bit of a non sequitur to have a character show up in the ending when you actively avoided having him appear in the game.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Wouldn't be the biggest non sequitur in the ending.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Opposing Farce posted:

Here's a question: what happens if both Thane and Kirrahe are dead when Kai Leng makes his attempt? Does he just succeed and then escape as usual?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Sombrerotron posted:

Here's a question: what happens if both Thane and Kirrahe are dead when Kai Leng makes his attempt? Does he just succeed and then escape as usual?
Kai Leng kills the salarian councilor and and makes a run for it.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Sombrerotron posted:

He succeeds, then kind of fumbles around ineptly with you instead of having his dumb swordfight with thane.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ShineDog posted:

He succeeds, then kind of fumbles around ineptly with you instead of having his dumb swordfight with thane.

"Dumb swordfight"? As in, it was a dumb scene or it was dumb for Kai Leng to pick a fight with Thane?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

"Dumb swordfight"? As in, it was a dumb scene or it was dumb for Kai Leng to pick a fight with Thane?

It was a dumb scene because Kai Leng was in it :v:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I just pretend Kai Leng is Adam Jenson and he becomes a million times more tolerable.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

scary ghost dog posted:

I just pretend Kai Leng is Adam Jenson and he becomes a million times more tolerable.

A perfect cameo opportunity for the Tupari machine, wasted :negative:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

scary ghost dog posted:

Adam Jensen would never resort to such a lame comeback as "Shut up!" when taunted by Shepard, though.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

So i'm playing through on PC for the first time.

I'm a Vanguard and probably playing through the wrong way (loaded down with weapons).

I didn't see any info in the OP so:

Any build recommendations? What weapons should I be using?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

crm posted:

I'm a Vanguard and probably playing through the wrong way (loaded down with weapons).

Either shotgun or heavy pistol only. Get your recharge up so you can continuously charge/nova. Most of the time you won't even need the gun, and if someone is up on a balcony or otherwise out of range order one of your squadmates to attack them.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

SubponticatePoster posted:

Either shotgun or heavy pistol only. Get your recharge up so you can continuously charge/nova. Most of the time you won't even need the gun, and if someone is up on a balcony or otherwise out of range order one of your squadmates to attack them.

Any particular Shotgun that you favour? My ME2 Vanguards used the Eviscerator exclusively, but I'm open to trying different ones in ME3. As for secondary weapon - decided to try the DLC Bloodpack SMG. It seemed pretty good when I tried it in the gun-range[1], but haven't used it in combat yet.

In any event, it leaves my cooldowns in fine fettle, and I'm having a blast playing around with Nova, in combination with Charge. I'm very pleased with the interaction between those two talents. They complement each other wonderfully.

Edit: Early days yet, but ME3 Vanguard seems way more interesting to me than ME2 Vanguard.

[1] At the least, it didn't seem obnoxiously poo poo like the SMGs available at the start of the game. On a different note, man, some of the DLC weapons seem wild. The new Shotgun is mental. But not a good fit for my Vanguard, so that weapon's day will come in a different playthrough.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
If you're not totally committed to using a shotgun, I'd go with the Carnifex or Phalanx heavy pistol instead. Anything close enough for a shotgun is close enough for charge/nova anyway, so go with something that's basically a lighter sniper rifle.

I haven't tried, like, any of the DLC guns, so maybe the situation has changed.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Toast Museum posted:

If you're not totally committed to using a shotgun, I'd go with the Carnifex or Phalanx heavy pistol instead. Anything close enough for a shotgun is close enough for charge/nova anyway, so go with something that's basically a lighter sniper rifle.

I haven't tried, like, any of the DLC guns, so maybe the situation has changed.

You touch upon an interesting point; I have won a fair few fights so far without actually bothering to shoot. Those mad bastards did it - weaponless Vanguard is now a reality! Though I'm sure things may change as I get deeper into the run.

I am setting it up to be talent-tastic though. With a greater spread of talents available to the class, and the expanded combo system, I'm looking forward to levels of Biotic carnage not seen since my Adept run.

I'd kind of like to stick with carrying a Shotgun though, if only because Shotguns were a class of weapon I'd not used *at all* in the previous four playthroughs.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

crm posted:

Step 1: Pick one good shotgun/pistol/SMG with a low cooldown.

Step 2:

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

magimix posted:

[1] At the least, it didn't seem obnoxiously poo poo like the SMGs available at the start of the game. On a different note, man, some of the DLC weapons seem wild. The new Shotgun is mental. But not a good fit for my Vanguard, so that weapon's day will come in a different playthrough.
Reegar is an interesting shotgun because it's pretty much built for non-nova abuse vanguards and krogan/beefy characters in multiplayer.

If you're planning on a more 'gun heavy' load out style of play with the vanguard (and a bit less of a nova spam), I could see it working in single player nicely but you should do what everyone does and spec half-blast nova, so you can smash out two of them. You have invincibility frames when casting nova and are immune to all damage during the wind up animation).

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Banjodark posted:

Reegar is an interesting shotgun because it's pretty much built for non-nova abuse vanguards and krogan/beefy characters in multiplayer.

If you're planning on a more 'gun heavy' load out style of play with the vanguard (and a bit less of a nova spam), I could see it working in single player nicely but you should do what everyone does and spec half-blast nova, so you can smash out two of them. You have invincibility frames when casting nova and are immune to all damage during the wind up animation).

Aha! I went with Half Blast as it happens, because I'd heard it was worthwile, but couldn't recall the full reasoning. For my part, if nothing else it seemed to offset a little of the risk with Nova, and if you do both blasts, the cumulative damage is greater, right (at least, thats what the numbers implied when I looked at them)?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

magimix posted:

Those mad bastards did it - weaponless Vanguard is now a reality! Though I'm sure things may change as I get deeper into the run.

It really doesn't, even on insanity.

magimix posted:

Aha! I went with Half Blast as it happens, because I'd heard it was worthwile, but couldn't recall the full reasoning. For my part, if nothing else it seemed to offset a little of the risk with Nova, and if you do both blasts, the cumulative damage is greater, right (at least, thats what the numbers implied when I looked at them)?

It offsets the risk in two ways. The obvious one is that a single nova won't fully deplete your shields. The other is that you're invulnerable during part of the nova animation, and twice as many novas means being invulnerable twice as often. By the time the second nova is done, you should be able to charge again.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Toast Museum posted:

It really doesn't, even on insanity.

Well, since Tayla Shepard is indeed an Insanity Vanguard, this is sounding better and better :dance:

Toast Museum posted:

It offsets the risk in two ways. The obvious one is that a single nova won't fully deplete your shields. The other is that you're invulnerable during part of the nova animation, and twice as many novas means being invulnerable twice as often. By the time the second nova is done, you should be able to charge again.

Hmmm, so a chance to get up close and personal with Banshees? :haw:
But yeah, I was not expecting to be able to Charge/Nova/Charge/Nova/etc with essentially no downtime - definitely worth going weapon-lite.

Edit: And if there are ever times when I'm not Charging or Nova-ing, the rest of the build isn't looking too shabby either (Reave as bonus talent this time round; not got it over Rank 1 yet though).

magimix fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 10, 2012

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

magimix posted:

Any particular Shotgun that you favour? My ME2 Vanguards used the Eviscerator exclusively, but I'm open to trying different ones in ME3. As for secondary weapon - decided to try the DLC Bloodpack SMG. It seemed pretty good when I tried it in the gun-range[1], but haven't used it in combat yet.

In any event, it leaves my cooldowns in fine fettle, and I'm having a blast playing around with Nova, in combination with Charge. I'm very pleased with the interaction between those two talents. They complement each other wonderfully.

Edit: Early days yet, but ME3 Vanguard seems way more interesting to me than ME2 Vanguard.

Disciple when you have access to it. It's really light and doesn't bog you down. Vanguard was the first run I did, I think I used the Eviscerator up to that point.

Don't know about that SMG, I haven't picked up any non-MP DLC other than the ending "fix."

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
That Blood Pack SMG isn't even in MP yet. Dunno if it is part of the next pack, or if it will be part of the Take Back Omega DLC that has been hinted at since you first talk to Aria in Purgatory.

Either that or they plan on adding Mercenaries as an enemy faction to MP YES PLEASE.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Disciple when you have access to it. It's really light and doesn't bog you down. Vanguard was the first run I did, I think I used the Eviscerator up to that point.

Don't know about that SMG, I haven't picked up any non-MP DLC other than the ending "fix."

Having checked the Wiki, the Disciple sounds like an interesting weapon. Won't be getting my hands on it for a while though! Any thoughts on the M-11 Wraith? I've had good experiences with the other two Spectre Requisitions weapons in previous runs.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

HoveringCheesecake posted:

That Blood Pack SMG isn't even in MP yet. Dunno if it is part of the next pack, or if it will be part of the Take Back Omega DLC that has been hinted at since you first talk to Aria in Purgatory.

Either that or they plan on adding Mercenaries as an enemy faction to MP YES PLEASE.

I was about to remark that when I tried it at the range, the Punisher seemed unusually good against the armoured target in particular. So I looked the weapon up. Quoth the Wiki, "The Punisher features a secondary barrel that fires one armor-piercing round per main-barrel burst.". Yep. That'd do it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

magimix posted:

Having checked the Wiki, the Disciple sounds like an interesting weapon. Won't be getting my hands on it for a while though! Any thoughts on the M-11 Wraith? I've had good experiences with the other two Spectre Requisitions weapons in previous runs.
I've never used it :negative:

On my Vanguard run I bought the Black Widow for Garrus instead :haw:

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:
I went with an AR or SR on my vanguard playthrough. Charge/nova already gives you all the close range offensive power you can ever ask for, and while a shotgun might be able to match the raw damage output, it'll never be able to refill your shields, or incapacitate as many enemies as nova can. So taking a medium/long range weapon along makes much more sense than adding more short range stuff.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

I've never used it :negative:

On my Vanguard run I bought the Black Widow for Garrus instead :haw:

Once I'd got used to its effect on the cloak/snipe pace of combat I had, to that point, relied on, I had good times with the Black Widow.

In other 'using poo poo for the first time' news, the otherwise ridiculous Reckoner Knight armour seems suitably 'metal' for a Vanguard. Skulls and spikes for the win.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The Wraith isn't that great. It's been buffed a bunch for multiplayer, but in singleplayer it's an expensive Eviscerator with much less ammo.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

UnknownMercenary posted:

The Wraith isn't that great. It's been buffed a bunch for multiplayer, but in singleplayer it's an expensive Eviscerator with much less ammo.

Appreciated. To be sure, it didn't sound that compelling from the description, but on the other hand, the other two weapons were pretty good in action. At the moment I'm agonising over my Nova Rank 4 choice. As I intended to go 'Half Blast', I went 'Force & Damage' at Rank 4 to offset the damage-hit. But when there aren't defended enemies to Charge, it seems quite common for the target to fly out of range before you can pull a post-Charge Nova off.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

magimix posted:

The Disciple is my go-to shotgun. I'm all about style over substance, and I love how it looks and sounds. The warp-like sound effect when you bust it out :allears:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I generally take Radius and Power Recharge.

There are merits to both half-blast and full-blast, but I personally prefer full for a couple reasons.
The first is power recharge stacks, so while your first nova might leave you a little gap before you can charge again, after a couple you can be dancing from charge to nova with no break.
The second is the FEEL of it - a Vanguard is a balls to the wall kind of character, and in my world, that fits full blast better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Does the "perfect" ending still require 4000/5000 War Assets?

• Locked thread