Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Gasmask posted:

I thought compasses point to your actual spawnpoint (ie whatever bed you slept in last) but I used one for the first time in ages today to try and get me home from a huge confusing cave complex and it seems to have led me back to my original spawn - miles from my house.

Am I dumb or has this changed recently?

As long as I have been playing (since beta 1.8) compasses have always pointed to your original spawn point. The Minecraft wiki mentions nothing about it doing anything else since it was introduced in alpha, and you know it would be in there if it had done anything different.

If it ever worked differently in multiplayer, it was probably down to a server mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

As long as I have been playing (since beta 1.8) compasses have always pointed to your original spawn point. The Minecraft wiki mentions nothing about it doing anything else since it was introduced in alpha, and you know it would be in there if it had done anything different.

If it ever worked differently in multiplayer, it was probably down to a server mod.

I've been playing since some point in alpha (pre-Nether) and I can comfirm, compasses have always pointed to your original spawn. Even after beds were introduced, compasses only point to your original spawn point, not whatever you've changed it to with beds.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

jivjov posted:

I've been playing since some point in alpha (pre-Nether) and I can comfirm, compasses have always pointed to your original spawn. Even after beds were introduced, compasses only point to your original spawn point, not whatever you've changed it to with beds.

This kind of makes sense in that without the debug menu or teleporting or an external mapping program, you could theoretically be lost forever in terms of where the origin was without a compass. Then again in reality this will probably never come up.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

eSports Chaebol posted:

This kind of makes sense in that without the debug menu or teleporting or an external mapping program, you could theoretically be lost forever in terms of where the origin was without a compass. Then again in reality this will probably never come up.

Also the fact that if you took a multi-day overland hike and slept along the way as night fell your compass would be totally useless if it just pointed to your most recently used bed.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Howmuch posted:

I gave up trying to find a Desert temple in my current world, started a new one with the seed "Desert".

It's beautiful!

A few pages back, but my girlfriend and I have been playing around co-op on this seed, and it's loving awesome. There's even a mineshaft underground a little south of the dungeon, too!

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker

Action Yak Police posted:

Edit:
Cool, thanks man. Good to know it's just a temporary problem. I'll try again tomorrow.

Sorry to tell you this, but the same thing has gone on for months. The option to buy directly from them with an American Express was there like in your screenshot but when you selected it and had the form to fill out your info the drop down had those different choices and no option for American Express.

I actually ended up getting a Visa, which was how I made the purchase. PayPal was being a dick to me with my bank, but if you can get a PayPal account working you should be able to buy it that way, maybe.

I tried to let them know about the problem, but I don't think they understood me, judging by the response I got.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Since somebody wanted to see the chicken reactor, and I kind of wanted to anyway, I made a video tour of my home in Minecraft. I decided to use the new books for narration since Apple doesn't see fit to put a normal mic input on their laptops, and the built-in mic sounds like I'm recording next to a spooled up 747 with the fans running at full Minecraft tilt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7jGSyAhN1s

If you're only interested in the chicken reactor here's the pertinent section, just be warned that it's kind of loud when I actually cycle the thing.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Howmuch posted:

I gave up trying to find a Desert temple in my current world, started a new one with the seed "Desert".

It's beautiful!

Uh.

I just tried this seed. Did the start, and found the desert temple next to spawn.

I dug into it the central pit. And the temple started decaying on me. The chest disappear when I click on them. And when I break the TNT, they don't drop.

:notch:

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
In my SMP Server, we had a village at spawn. After a few days all the villagers vanished (don't know if one of our players killed them, but no one has owned up to it). Is there any way to make more spawn or do we need to find another village?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

DoctorJones posted:

In my SMP Server, we had a village at spawn. After a few days all the villagers vanished (don't know if one of our players killed them, but no one has owned up to it). Is there any way to make more spawn or do we need to find another village?

Switch to creative, egg two villagers, wait?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I'm always concerned that I've come across some free love commune when I see my villagers loving/giving birth in the streets, out in the open. All of a sudden, two villagers get googly eyes for each other and that's it. A slight breeze and they're ready to boink.

I think the iron golem likes to watch, too. He's just really creepy. Always trying to win them over giving them roses. Nobody's going to really reject him, though. I mean, he's a big loving iron giant.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

DoctorJones posted:

If you're an op on your server, you can give yourself some Spawn Eggs. Just use /give your_name 383 64 120 for a full stack of them.

Failing that, you can find another village, build a rail system out to it, and cart some villagers in.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Something that causes villagers to disappear I believe is when the server crashes or is shut down improperly. It's probably because the data for consistent mobs is saved when the server shuts down. So when it doesn't shut down correctly they get lost.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorJones posted:

In my SMP Server, we had a village at spawn. After a few days all the villagers vanished (don't know if one of our players killed them, but no one has owned up to it).

Probably a zombie hoarde slaughtered the village before it could defend itself. You really have to take care of those things in the early days.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Boat posted:

Since somebody wanted to see the chicken reactor, and I kind of wanted to anyway, I made a video tour of my home in Minecraft. I decided to use the new books for narration since Apple doesn't see fit to put a normal mic input on their laptops, and the built-in mic sounds like I'm recording next to a spooled up 747 with the fans running at full Minecraft tilt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7jGSyAhN1s

If you're only interested in the chicken reactor here's the pertinent section, just be warned that it's kind of loud when I actually cycle the thing.
Nice vid, thanks! You could add a dispenser to save you the egg-throwing. Also nice 'pantry'.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
New snapshot out, with the control block (only way to get it is buy /give <user> 137), a /difficulty command, improved villager trading (if you kill them, other villagers stop trading with you/give worse trades , if you make them happy, you get better trades) and what ever this thing is.

1.3.2 will also come soon, fixing falling through the nether and taking suffocation damage in water, but without the stuff from the snapshot.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

TheDK posted:

Nice vid, thanks! You could add a dispenser to save you the egg-throwing. Also nice 'pantry'.

I dont quite understand how the reactor works since 'Im just getting into the game. Anyone?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

tinaun posted:

New snapshot out, with the control block (only way to get it is buy /give <user> 137), a /difficulty command, improved villager trading (if you kill them, other villagers stop trading with you/give worse trades , if you make them happy, you get better trades) and what ever this thing is.

1.3.2 will also come soon, fixing falling through the nether and taking suffocation damage in water, but without the stuff from the snapshot.

It's a Beacon Block according to minecraftwiki. http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/WIP_Block

So you build a pyramid out of iron/gold/diamond/emerald and depending on how tall the pyramid is, it gives you those effects?

The wiki says the "simplest arrangement" for a pyramid is 9 diamond blocks. Hm.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Two new (and long awaited) commands:

/weather sets the weather to raining, thundering, or clear for a set duration

/gamerule allows people to set, among other things, whether you lose your inventory on death or whether creepers and endermen destroy/move blocks. Dinnerbone! :allears:

The control block is absolutely amazing, and works in multiplayer too! I already made a little thing that teleports me to my secret sky fortress, but teleports everybody else into a lava pit.

e: and potions of night vision!

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Rotten Cookies posted:

It's a Beacon Block according to minecraftwiki. http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/WIP_Block

So you build a pyramid out of iron/gold/diamond/emerald and depending on how tall the pyramid is, it gives you those effects?

That sounds freaking neat.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

TheDK posted:

:doh: Why didn't I think of that?! I've even got three extra bows kicking around from skeleton drops. Yayyyy more automation!

vulturesrow posted:

I dont quite understand how the reactor works since I'm just getting into the game. Anyone?

It's based on a few Minecraft quirks: chickens float on water, eggs don't, signs are intangible in that you and drops and mobs can move through them but water can't, and you can place signs on top of signs.

Given that, with the reactor, I basically have a 5x5 pit that I'll describe from the top down.
  • A layer of redstone dust covering the entire 5x5 area which powers...
  • A layer of solid blocks of your choice, smooth stone in my case, which when powered powers...
  • A layer of sticky pistons facing downwards with...
  • A layer of solid blocks attached to the sticky pistons' faces
  • A 1-block high airspace for the chickens to frolic in
  • A layer of water for the chickens to float on
  • A layer of signs placed flat on one wall with subsequent signs placed flat on the previous signs for the water to be supported on
  • A two-block airspace for you to wander around collecting eggs in

To get power up to the pistons, there's an alternating ladder of blocks & redstone torches connected to a lever. A lit redstone torch provides power to the block above it, and when the block a redstone torch is on receives power, the redstone torch on it turns off. By using the lever to power/depower the bottommost torch, the signal gets passed up the torch ladder to the redstone on top of the pistons.

Powering the pistons on extends them, pushing the layer of blocks attached to their faces down into the airspace, pushing the chickens into the water and killing them all simultaneously.

Now that TheDK has given me the dispenser idea, I'll be removing the chest from the bottom of the reactor and instead placing a few dispensers along the edge of the top airspace hooked up to a redstone clock and a lever, so after cycling the reactor I can just hit another lever and all the collected eggs will be launched into the airspace to restart it. Hell, I'll probably tie it into the reactor cycling lever so that I just have to toggle that for automatic cycling. :dance:

e: on second thought, I'll probably just make it a second lever with an interlock so it can't dispense while the reactor top is lowered. Otherwise I'd have to come up with some kind of timer so that the dispensers don't just keep firing forever. It can definitely be done, but I really don't feel like making a mile-long chain of repeaters to time the delay.

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 9, 2012

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Given that you have to be within 16 blocks of the pyramid, that sounds incredibly useless outside of some dumb gimmicks involving multiple pyramids. At least the light effect looks neat...but why add this of all things to the game? When I think of problems with minecraft, this doesn't really address any of them.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 9, 2012

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Boat posted:

egg-spenser
I had something similar on an old map but without the auto-kill ceiling:

corticalstim
Jan 9, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Given that you have to be within 16 blocks of the pyramid, that sounds incredibly useless outside of some dumb gimmicks involving multiple pyramids. At least the light effect looks neat...but why add this of all thins to the game?

I think this would be awesome if it had a range of like 4 chunks, but 16 blocks? Seems pretty weak.

Edit: Although, maybe instead of being a top-tier sort of equipment it is focused more on beefing up the adventure mode aspect, functioning as a checkpoint. Player navigates from beacon to beacon, collecting resources and recovering as they continue en route to the final goal. Could be interesting!

corticalstim fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 9, 2012

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Internet Kraken posted:

Given that you have to be within 16 blocks of the pyramid, that sounds incredibly useless outside of some dumb gimmicks involving multiple pyramids. At least the light effect looks neat...but why add this of all things to the game? When I think of problems with minecraft, this doesn't really address any of them.

It might be useful for all sorts of adventure maps, among other things.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Internet Kraken posted:

Why does it have to address a problem? Why can't it just be a nifty new addition?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Because it will probably be yet another half-assed thing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

jivjov posted:

Why does it have to address a problem? Why can't it just be a nifty new addition?

Well if it's a nifty new addition it should at least be useful rather than a bad novelty. To get any benefit out of these things you'd have to build a bunch of them in your main base due to aggressively small area of effect. And even then, you'd only benefit from faster movement being more convenient. All the other effects are combat related which makes them pointless since combat in this game is a joke. Why bother building something to give me more strength when decent gear already makes me unstoppable?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Keep in mind that it's still a Work in Progress. The 16 block radius of effect could just be for testing and the final version will work differently.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

It does seem like an adventure thing, because the sheer amount of resources you need to build that thing would mean you're at a stage where all of those buffs are pretty useless (you'd need 81 diamonds just to build the first level of it)

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

This is awesome. My girlfriend already builds these kinds of structures all over our server, and now they'll have a use!

Internet Kraken posted:

Why do you hate fun.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Goddamnit, any workarounds if the auth server is down? can't log in to any servers :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

TooManyUzukis posted:

Why do you hate fun.

I love fun. Which is why I want them to add stuff that is useful so I can have fun with it rather than just ignore it becuase it's a waste of time.

VVVV Then it might be worth it to build a few for the speed boost around your home base. Still, I wish they'd stop adding stuff that gives combat benefits to the game and instead focus on having it do other stuff. It's like they don't even realize that the combat is so lovely you don't need any of this.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 9, 2012

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
16 blocks is only for the smallest one, larger ones have up to 64 block radius of effect.

e: and it doesn't count height.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Are you under the effects of those buffs ONLY while in that radius? Or do you just have to be in that range to get the effects, and then once you get them, they're on you for ~2:00 when you leave the area?

If the latter, then it's not as useless.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
You're under the effects of an 8 second buff which is refreshed constantly while you're in the area of effect, so if you leave you only have 8 seconds maximum before they wear off. Also, they can be made with iron blocks, so you only need 82 iron (you need 1 iron to activate it, and obviously whatever materials for the beacon itself) to make the simplest one.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

TheDK posted:

I had something similar on an old map but without the auto-kill ceiling:

Yeah, I had something similar on an older map, but It wasn't worth the time, effort and wasted swords to kill all those fuckers by hand when I needed feathers for arrows.

Frobbe posted:

Goddamnit, any workarounds if the auth server is down? can't log in to any servers :(

Nope. Not unless you own the server, then you can set its online mode to false, and it doesn't do any authentication, so you can log in as anybody. Needless to say this is a loving terrible idea and you should never do it if your server isn't whitelisted, and even then it's not a good idea.

tinaun posted:

16 blocks is only for the smallest one, larger ones have up to 64 block radius of effect.

e: and it doesn't count height.

As someone who has a stupid and crazy obsession with clearing entire chunks to bedrock, this is actually kind of useful if it buffs your mining speed. I'd definitely build a small one in the middle of a huge tower project just so I could empty out the chunk faster.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
I'd be more on board if beacons also kept things from spawning, and not just by giving off light. I want to bury a bunch of them around my property so I don't have to fill the landscape with strategically placed (often awkward-looking) walls, fences and light sources.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

I'm surprised that increased jump height is one of the possible effects, given that if you've developed an area to the point where you can build one of those pyramids, you have probably also built ladders or smoothed out all the nearby hills. Hopefully either the maximum range or effect duration will be increased before 1.4.

Speaking of which, something else I'd like to see is a display somewhere on the main screen showing the icons of any active effects and their duration. It'd be a lot neater than the swirl particle effects and more convenient than having to open your inventory to see how long they have left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Heteroy posted:

Sorry to tell you this, but the same thing has gone on for months. The option to buy directly from them with an American Express was there like in your screenshot but when you selected it and had the form to fill out your info the drop down had those different choices and no option for American Express.

I actually ended up getting a Visa, which was how I made the purchase. PayPal was being a dick to me with my bank, but if you can get a PayPal account working you should be able to buy it that way, maybe.

I tried to let them know about the problem, but I don't think they understood me, judging by the response I got.

Thanks, man. As much as I hate to do it, I'll try going through PayPal.

fake edit: They already subtracted two dollars? Assholes.

real edit: Mother FUCKER. Well all that accomplished is that I lost two dollars. I did originally try to use a Visa gift card but it wouldn't let me make any online purchases. I guess I won't be able to play Minecraft until I get a GODDAMN JOB. :bang:

Action Yak fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 9, 2012