Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

wtftastic posted:

Outside I talk conversationally with my dog (I guess that sounds weird, but its all pretty normal stuff like, "You aren't going to get that squirrel!" and "You sure showed that bee".) but inside I will call him names like squgglebutt, pup-a-lup (I have no idea) and in order to get him to play with toys, I will literally run around with the toy saying "Yaaaay I'm having fun" and then he tries to herd me and get the toy. I did it yesterday and I got him to play with and chase a frisbee that he'd never even looked at before.

My dog's happy/playful/exuberance levels are directly proportional to how stupid I sound and high pitched I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

The stupider I sound around my dog, the more he looks like he'd rather be somewhere else. :(

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

My dog voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXLU-cRaCGg

:saddowns:

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

WolfensteinBag posted:

Rix, if you had everything completely your way, what would your preferences be for sex & color? :3: I love hearing what other people want in their puppies. You're getting a pup for agility, right? Does that mean you're likely to have a more intense, driven dog?
I'd prefer a male since Rho is unneutered and having a bitch around would be a pain in the rear end. I've kind of gotten used to having male dogs and I can deal with their quirks even if they're unneutered. Since there were 5 males and 3 females born, I'm likely to get my wish, yay! Color I don't care about and all the pups in this litter are tricolor anyway, but I'd really REALLY prefer a smooth coat. I don't mind vacuuming hair off my floor but don't like long haired dogs. The father of the litter is smooth so at least half of the pups should be smooth coated as well.

As for temperament and other qualities, I'm looking for a bold pup who looks for human contact and is readily interested in play (i.e. tugging). I'd like him to be comfortable on different surfaces and textures and absolutely not show signs of sound sensitivity (though this often comes up when a dog is older, unfortunately). Sometimes you can tell from young puppies which ones "move well" so I'll be looking out for that, too. Rho for example was never at that clumsy puppy stage and his motor skills were more advanced than his siblings' all through his puppyhood.

Intensity and drive I'm sure I'll be getting enough of no matter which pup I choose. I'm not looking for one of those extremely driven purpose-bred sports/agility BCs and the litter I'm looking at is out of working lines. The mother works as a sheep dog on a farm and the father does hobby herding (and agility and obedience).

Now I just need to wait two months :ohdear:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Superconsndar posted:

My dog's happy/playful/exuberance levels are directly proportional to how stupid I sound and high pitched I am.

Maybe I should work on getting more goofy sounding. My neighbors probably already think I'm mental.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Where are the pictures of Kaidan lounging in a puppy pool? :mad:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Superconsndar posted:

Husker gets crazy excited if I shout "Harf! Harf!" at him, so I can't judge. :)

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

This is basically what I sound like, except I use stupid internet grammar like "Does I has a food?!" And my boyfriend got me referring to Shadow as a Bark. As in, "Oh my goodness it's a Bark!" when I see him.

I use a slightly different, higher-pitched voice for shelter/daycare dogs.

I don't use baby talk with the cats. It's usually, "BREEZE, KNOCK IT OFF," or "CHAPLIN, GET DOWN."

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
When I first brought her home, my boyfriend and I used high-pitched cat voice to praise Lillehammer every time she caught a mouse or bug, so if you use a cutesy voice on her she now thinks that there is something in the house and she needs to go gittit. Once she starts patrolling she doesn't stop until you distract her with a delicious treat, so maybe it's us that she's trained...

My dad used to be able to drive our family dog into fits just by raising his voice higher and higher. Her tail would uncurl and she would race around in circles until he stopped. :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

rivals posted:

Where are the pictures of Kaidan lounging in a puppy pool? :mad:

I um...uh..well...:suicide:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Rixatrix posted:

I'd prefer a male since Rho is unneutered and having a bitch around would be a pain in the rear end. I've kind of gotten used to having male dogs and I can deal with their quirks even if they're unneutered. Since there were 5 males and 3 females born, I'm likely to get my wish, yay! Color I don't care about and all the pups in this litter are tricolor anyway, but I'd really REALLY prefer a smooth coat. I don't mind vacuuming hair off my floor but don't like long haired dogs. The father of the litter is smooth so at least half of the pups should be smooth coated as well.

As for temperament and other qualities, I'm looking for a bold pup who looks for human contact and is readily interested in play (i.e. tugging). I'd like him to be comfortable on different surfaces and textures and absolutely not show signs of sound sensitivity (though this often comes up when a dog is older, unfortunately). Sometimes you can tell from young puppies which ones "move well" so I'll be looking out for that, too. Rho for example was never at that clumsy puppy stage and his motor skills were more advanced than his siblings' all through his puppyhood.

Intensity and drive I'm sure I'll be getting enough of no matter which pup I choose. I'm not looking for one of those extremely driven purpose-bred sports/agility BCs and the litter I'm looking at is out of working lines. The mother works as a sheep dog on a farm and the father does hobby herding (and agility and obedience).

Now I just need to wait two months :ohdear:

How exciting for you! Huge congrats! The waiting is the toughest part. If I were you, I would have zero patience to get that dog all growed up and ready to compete. That's the reason (well, one of them) that I'm not going to do a puppy any time soon - I just don't have the patience and time to go through all the foundation work again.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
More useful dog tricks with Jesse!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PztO-OvzRyg

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I mentioned it in the cat thread, but I'm looking to change my newly adopted cat's name and I need suggestions.

Currently her name is Bebe, but she doesn't respond to it all all from me and I don't think the name really fits her or me. She's 5, a bit skittish around people she doesn't know, but loves petting and brushing once she's comfy with someone. She's a really pretty tuxedo kitty with white whiskers and toe socks.

I'm thinking Molly because I had a very friendly neighbor cat named Polly last place I lived, but I would love to have other suggestions before I decide.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Greycious posted:

I found out the next day that the dog is actually ALIVE.

Someone apparently told my boss he was put to sleep, without knowing their poo poo. :psyduck:

Whatever, just happy I get to groom our massive buddy soon.

Has that someone been found and shitcanned yet?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Shifty Pony posted:

Pretty kitty :3:

Molly works, I think. She strikes me as a Sadie (say-dee), but don't take my suggestions very seriously; My family is not known for our skill with animal names. My grandmother has a 20-year-old orange tabby named Puppy, sooo :v:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Jesse is so awesome :3: I need to teach Major how to vacuum like that, it's all his hair anyway.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

I would die of :3: if I was at a pet store and saw a pup happily carrying around his own basket while his human put stuff in it

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
My boyfriend and I kinda have a Dog Voice we use with Savannah, but moreso we just call her a million stupid nicknames. These include Pupperson (most popular), pupperton, pupperlump, catterson (because she lays on the back of the couch like a cat, + pupperson...shut up), Savannah Q. Pupperson, and therefore SQP, miss banana, puppypants, fluffbutt, flufferson...basically if you can tack something on to -son, we will do it and use it do address the dog. Why? :iiam:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Holy crap.
I now feel like a lovely, lovely owner for being happy with sit/down/stay/beg/dance and a 90% recall. Hahah. drat.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Neena posted:

My boyfriend and I kinda have a Dog Voice we use with Savannah, but moreso we just call her a million stupid nicknames. These include Pupperson (most popular), pupperton, pupperlump, catterson (because she lays on the back of the couch like a cat, + pupperson...shut up), Savannah Q. Pupperson, and therefore SQP, miss banana, puppypants, fluffbutt, flufferson...basically if you can tack something on to -son, we will do it and use it do address the dog. Why? :iiam:

My boy friend and I do that with "-ington". Bailey is "Bailington", "Lord Basil T Balington", "The Bailington", "Mr. Bailington".

We do this partly because he is close to being the least dignified dog on the planet and he's a neat freak. He will not walk in puddles or mud and had to groom his feet when he comes inside.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

wtftastic posted:

My boy friend and I do that with "-ington". Bailey is "Bailington", "Lord Basil T Balington", "The Bailington", "Mr. Bailington".

We do this partly because he is close to being the least dignified dog on the planet and he's a neat freak. He will not walk in puddles or mud and had to groom his feet when he comes inside.

You should teach him to wipe his feet on a mat. :3:

Feldman of course has a million names. Smellman, Feldface, Buttbutt, smellbutts, and many more. Then of course I sing little songs to him using those names. I believe I've got quite insane.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Molly works, I think. She strikes me as a Sadie (say-dee), but don't take my suggestions very seriously; My family is not known for our skill with animal names. My grandmother has a 20-year-old orange tabby named Puppy, sooo :v:

Ooo, Sadie is pretty nice. I should be honest and note that she is going to just be called kitty most of the time. Something two syllable (or that can be dropped to two) that can be said in the same sing-song cat voice that kitty will be said in would be great.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Bash Ironfist posted:

You should teach him to wipe his feet on a mat. :3:

My mother has a dog who is very fastidious. When it is wet outside she will come back in, stand by the door and hold up her paw. If you wipe it with a towel she will put it down and hold up the next one until you have wiped off all her paws. If you ignore her she will stand there and bark until you do it or her paws dry off, but if you wait until her paws dry off she will ignore you for the rest of the day.

Also on walks she refuses to leave concrete unless she's walking on grass or pine needles. This is unfortunate because they live in the desert and there is not a lot of pavement around them, so they have to stick to a few dedicated routes. My mother keeps suggesting that maybe I want to take her dog because she (my mom) is dealing with some health problems, but I won't because a)my mom doesn't really mean it, she was devastated when I had her dog for a month as she recovered from a surgery, and b)her dog would have a heart attack if she had to live at my house where there literally is not any pavement for like 2 miles.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Sometimes dogs need to learn to suck it the gently caress up, however. "Dog doesn't walk on sand/wet pavement/grass etc" doesn't fly with me. Dog will learn to walk on it mighty quick because I don't entertain their neuroses.

:colbert:

I'm such a hard rear end.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

2tomorrow posted:

My mother has a dog who is very fastidious. When it is wet outside she will come back in, stand by the door and hold up her paw. If you wipe it with a towel she will put it down and hold up the next one until you have wiped off all her paws. If you ignore her she will stand there and bark until you do it or her paws dry off, but if you wait until her paws dry off she will ignore you for the rest of the day.

Also on walks she refuses to leave concrete unless she's walking on grass or pine needles. This is unfortunate because they live in the desert and there is not a lot of pavement around them, so they have to stick to a few dedicated routes. My mother keeps suggesting that maybe I want to take her dog because she (my mom) is dealing with some health problems, but I won't because a)my mom doesn't really mean it, she was devastated when I had her dog for a month as she recovered from a surgery, and b)her dog would have a heart attack if she had to live at my house where there literally is not any pavement for like 2 miles.

I'd love to teach him to wipe his feet, especially since he hates his feet touched (although he does give paw and lets me wipe the one paw he usually raises). He's also picky about surfaces (usually when its wet out)- he hates grass, puddles and muddy surfaces. But he'll walk on grass and mud when I make him. I'm sure if I threw him into water he'd be propelled out by special Bailey specific hydrophobic forces. (And then I would have to repeat the "experiment".)

wtftastic fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 9, 2012

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

a life less posted:

Sometimes dogs need to learn to suck it the gently caress up, however. "Dog doesn't walk on sand/wet pavement/grass etc" doesn't fly with me. Dog will learn to walk on it mighty quick because I don't entertain their neuroses.

:colbert:

I'm such a hard rear end.

I don't think you're a hardass, and was actually just joking about her having a heart attack if she lived with me. She got mostly over it when she lived with me for a month or so, just would always sort of sigh before stepping off the patio onto the dirt. :3: She's really neurotic but not in bad or destructive ways, and really obedient so I just find her oddities funny. Even back in life as a city dog she will actually go off road, you just have to make her (by giving her a command/walking that way yourself when she's on a leash, not like dragging her).

She has a dog toy (a Kong, of all things) that she treats like a puppy. She carries it around gently and always takes it to bed with her to cuddle and licks it, never chews on it. It's one of those squeaky ones and she apparently went after a dog who my mom was housesitting when it was playing with the toy and made it squeak. But at the same time she likes you to throw it for her and will run around the house and play tug with it (though she gets upset if it squeaks and will run off to cuddle it). I think it's good she doesn't have real puppies. :downs:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I think there's something wrong with anyone who doesn't act like a complete retard when at home (or out, for the less self-conscious) with their animals.

When I get home I greet the chinchillas by going "HIII FUZZY WUZZY FUZZLE WUZZLES!" then the dog usually appears from wherever he's been sleeping and I usually go "ERR MAH GERD IT'S A DERG!" and we wrestle on the floor for a while while I'm still in my nice work clothes. I do a lot of laundry. I'm pretty sure my neighbors would think I'm mentally challenged but they have a dog of their own so I hope they understand. :downs:

We haven't had Max long enough to give him stupid nicknames, but they're coming. Thus far he's been called Maxaroni and Cheese and variations of pup, puppy, and puppydog (even though he's not a puppy).

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

All dogs are puppydogs to me. Even the lovely old greying ones. I generally sound like an idiot when talking to the dog. Or dogs in generally really. I like calling them Mr or Mrs as well.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I think there's something wrong with anyone who doesn't act like a complete retard when at home (or out, for the less self-conscious) with their animals.

I always follow this graph when I visit my friends house, and they completely understand:

(from xkcd)

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

McDragon posted:

All dogs are puppydogs to me. Even the lovely old greying ones. I generally sound like an idiot when talking to the dog. Or dogs in generally really. I like calling them Mr or Mrs as well.

Same. I call all dogs "puppy" regardless of age. I think all dogs are puppies at heart :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

McDragon posted:

People always look at me so strangely when I call their old greying man a puppy, but god drat if my "Oh my gosh hipuppy!" voice doesn't get a tail wag all the time. :colbert:

And they're either a 'lovely young lady' or a 'handsome young man' a lot of the time, too.

I squeak "Hi my furry fuzzy puppy wuppy!" at Balen and he perks his ears all the way up, prances over to me and waves his tail so much. I'm convinced other dogs have this reaction, only internally.

E: Oh, and Ires has been deemed 'Wall Eater'. drat dog has 20 toys laid out, 6 chew bones, 2 pizzles and still wants to eat drywall. Thankfully it was only a little bottlecap sized hole, but what the hell dog.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Even my dad, Mr. Serious Who Doesn't "Get" Animals, will in private ask the cat if he is enjoying his food. :3:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Quaffle is "Grumblestiltskin" because he grunts like an old man whenever he lays down. He thinks his name is Stinky though...like that's the name he answers to when we're out in public. I should probably be more embarrassed about that.

My mom does the high-pitched, excited squeaky dog voice at him because she thinks it's funny how excited he gets, but then when he tries to jump to her/lick her she freaks out because she actually doesn't like dogs very much and she's horrified at the thought of one licking her. She's being so brave talking to him like that though and I'm proud of her!

Today is his six month Adoptaversary! He got a Slim Jim and a piece of Pop Tart.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Max's little nub of a tail wags so hard when he gets excited :3:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So Feldman has green eyeboogers, liquid poops and something wrong with his ear. :( Taking him to the vet tomorrow before work. I'm bringing him to work with me as my mom is out of town, but it looks like I'll have to keep him in his crate, rather than letting him run around with the other dogs. :(

edit: Also, it doesn't matter what you call him if you got a treat in your hand. He responds to 'murderface' all the time. :v:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Max is docked? My ACD is docked too. Did he come from a working line or something? I've heard that docking is more common for farm dawgs.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
My boyfriend's dad grew up on a farm in Saskatchewan, so he's not especially inclined toward rats. He has a Dog Voice for his yorkies, though, and I've gradually seen it start to get used on the rats when he visits. It used to just be an uneasy look to the cage, but now it is "Oooh and does someone have a snaaaack?", "ooooh is someone sleeeeepy?", "yes I am just here sleeeping and hiiiding!".

edit: he is still very clear that he does Not Like Rats

Invalid Octopus fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 10, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Nubs are so drat cute. When Major does it I call it "woggling" and tend to exclaim "lookit your woggle tail!" which makes him do it harder :3:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Hnnnnnnnnnng, those whiskers. THOSE FEETS. Wanna stick my finger in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Since Moses is only known as Moses on the internet and on various written records, and is generally referred to as "Pin" by those who knows him personally, I usually greet him by yelling "PIN. PEEN. PINE. PU! PEEN!!!" while he wiggles in a circle around me, beating himself in the face with his tail and squealing. I do it even if the neighbors are outside.

One day, someone is going to see me screaming "PEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!" at a pit bull who appears to be having a seizure while a boston terrier droops in the background and they are going to wonder what level of hell they have entered.

• Locked thread