Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent posted:

Nah, it's a pretty dickish thing to do on both parts. Give the roomie five bucks and send him to the bar, or find another place to gently caress - It's a cruise ship FFS, go gently caress in the pool or one of the thousand fan rooms or... I don't know, neither me or my cruise ship roommate were getting enough for it to be an issue.

Shared-cabin jerks are probably the most disgusting sexual act ever, anyway. loving's not too bad, at least the other guy's getting some... There's just something about having someone jerking it five feet from you, especially if they're grunting the whole way through.

Funny story: We found a love nest in a ventilation room at one point. Matress, lava lamp, Valentine's Day decoration. We just went "OoooOoook" and backed away slowly, never even reported it. I still don't know what the gently caress that was about.

The funniest part about it was when he and I had a beer the next day he was like 'I didn't have any condoms, bro.'
WTF?!!?!? Who in the gently caress fucks A GIRL ON A CRUISE SHIP WITH NO CONDOM?!

The best part was I had some condoms in my drawer. Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Didn't you guys have the GIGANTIC BOWL OF CONDOMS in the infirmary's crew waiting room? (2$ a pop for passengers!) We had so many cheap rear end condoms in there, it was hilarious... Especially since they had to refill them near daily.

The amount of loving that goes on below decks on those things... Holy poo poo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I am still laughing at the fact that he hosed a girl on a cruise ship without a condom. This will never stop being amusing to me.

He thought I was joking when I told him to get loving tested. I was laughing when I said it, but believe you me, I was dead loving serious.

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

:stare: :supaburn: :j:
Aaaand back in Texas.

FrozenVent posted:

TL:DR Discrimination on boats is a very weird thing, and I wish somebody would spend more time studying the psychology and sociology of merchant seamen because it's pretty :pcgaming:.

I'm unambiguously liberal, and of course, everyone else on the ship is a staunch conservative. I freely listen to Lady Gaga and Ke$ha, all day e'eryday, and I have no interest in boating or fishing.

They got used to me eventually. Ships are weird places.

In other news;

Taking arrival, coming into anchorage, the Captain came up to the bridge, so I logged him having the conn. He walks over, checks, announces "You know you still have the conn, right?" and I'm just like Ffff, okay, whatever. I cross it out in the logbook, and he immediately starts giving helm commands.

This was only the start of a three hour anchoring fiasco in which we traveled all of a mile. :shepicide:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Stratafyre posted:

In other news;

Taking arrival, coming into anchorage, the Captain came up to the bridge, so I logged him having the conn. He walks over, checks, announces "You know you still have the conn, right?" and I'm just like Ffff, okay, whatever. I cross it out in the logbook, and he immediately starts giving helm commands.

This was only the start of a three hour anchoring fiasco in which we traveled all of a mile. :shepicide:

The Captain doesn't have the conn until he takes the conn. That's BRM 101, come on... Of course, in real life he's assumed to have the conn when he starts giving helm orders, because he's the Captain and no one is gonna tell him how to do things, blah blah blah. It's really loving awkward to go "Uh, Cap, I still have the conn", so nobody ever does it... On the other hand, I've had a Captain sit there and chat with the wheelsman for ten minutes prior to a pilotage turn, then turn to me and go "Are you gonna turn? You still have the conn." loving rear end in a top hat, the time to tell me "Hey, you're gonna be piloting this area for the first time tonight, k?" isn't three minutes before the first turn. And don't give me poo poo for relying too much on the ECS, it's not like I had time to set up PIs or AAAAAAARRGH.

Uh, sorry.

What I do in those situations is wait until he starts giving helm order and go "Ok, you got her" or "Captain has her" right under one of the VDR mikes. You look weird talking at the ceiling, but it's not long before they realize what you're up to. This works pretty well with pilots as well, and while an accident investigation board may argue that you should have done something instead of covering your rear end... What the gently caress are you supposed to do, wrestle the wheel away from the wheelsman and do what you like? If you prevent the accident, you're an rear end in a top hat for pushing the wheelsman; if the boat grounds anyway you're hosed because you broke BRM.

Long story short, gently caress Captains who don't give a poo poo about BRM.

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Long story short, gently caress Captains who don't give a poo poo about BRM.

This guy is an incomprehensible ball of grouchy and poor communication. The shift between him and the other captain is just hilariously jarring. He will give you absolutely no information, accept no information produced by third mates, regardless of what it is ( Hey Cap, we're about to hit a fishing vessel. *Silence* ), and asks questions in such a way that you can't tell if he's asking to see if you know, or legitimately doesn't know the answer.

The worst part, above all that, is the incredible inconsistency. At least once a day, he will come up to the bridge and declare something he wants done hourly, daily, three hourly, what have you... while asking why you are doing something else ( That he had just declared the previous day to be necessary. ).

He's a great navigator, but just :psyboom: trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on.

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

What country are you in, which coast? This makes a huge difference.

US

Currently in Colorado for school, will be moving to Oregon (some suburb outside Portland?) when done graduating, which honestly could be as soon as this December if I kick my own rear end.

Honestly, though, Portland was just a "my friend lives there I guess I'll go there" idea.

Either coast is open at this point. Whatever gets me training and on a path to working.

Ghost of Orbo fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 9, 2012

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Stratafyre posted:

This guy is an incomprehensible ball of grouchy and poor communication. The shift between him and the other captain is just hilariously jarring. He will give you absolutely no information, accept no information produced by third mates, regardless of what it is ( Hey Cap, we're about to hit a fishing vessel. *Silence* ), and asks questions in such a way that you can't tell if he's asking to see if you know, or legitimately doesn't know the answer.

I've had a few like that. It's annoying as gently caress, especially the inconsistencies. My favourite is when they tell you something wasn't necessary after you've spent hours on something. Or when they ignore your advice, then blame you for not giving them the advice forcefully enough.

:pirate: Why didn't you tell me about that ice field?
:v: I told you, I plotted a course around it and sent you an email with my thoughts and the ice chart. You unloaded the route from the ECS, loaded the usual one and went through the ice field anyway!
:pirate: You should have plotted a route around it!
:v: I did! I told you about it! HERE'S THE loving EMAIL I SENT YOU AT TWO LAST NIGHT!
:pirate: Well you should have called me!

A week later:

:pirate: Why are you calling me for such petty bullshit?

Ghost of Orbo posted:

Currently in Colorado for school, will be moving to Oregon (some suburb outside Portland?) when done graduating, which honestly could be as soon as this December if I kick my own rear end.

Honestly, though, Portland was just a "my friend lives there I guess I'll go there" idea.

Either coast is open at this point. Whatever gets me training and on a path to working.

At this point, I think the first things to do would be to contact the USCG and get started on obtaining your MMD and medical exam, while trying to find a training slot for basic STCW somewhere.

I think this is the relevant USCG site. I'm sure one of the Americans in the thread will come in and give you more precise info.

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

Oh lord, exactly this. I can't wait for the other Captain to get back. In October. :shepface:

Ghost of Orbo posted:

You've got a few options. Do you want to be an officer? Do you want to be unlicensed?

If you want to be an officer, apply to one of the Maritime Academies. Simple as that. Costs a decent amount, but you'll make it back in two or three trips as a third mate.

If you want to be unlicensed, the best way I can think of is to get in contact with SIU, they're a pretty major union and I think they do all of the training, but I'm not sure. They can at least point you in the right direction.

You also have the option of sailing unlicensed to get your time, and then using that time to get your license as an officer, but crawling up the hawsepipe is a pain in the dick in this day and age.

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008
Would like to be an officer. What kind of time am I looking at when attending a maritime academy? Typical four years?

I'm not worried about debt, as I'm consistently seeing that compensation doing this kind of work is usually more than enough to keep up with it/get rid of it completely.

How selective are maritime academies? I've got a 3-point-nothing, and my SAT scores were mediocre. Should I work on getting a better grip on math?

Also, what kind of leadership skills do officers need? Let's say years go by, I succeed in making 3rd mate somewhere and I find myself on a boat. Am I giving any orders? Do people on boats generally do what they're told?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Ghost of Orbo posted:

Would like to be an officer. What kind of time am I looking at when attending a maritime academy? Typical four years?

At least four years. At least.

Ghost of Orbo posted:

Also, what kind of leadership skills do officers need? Let's say years go by, I succeed in making 3rd mate somewhere and I find myself on a boat. Am I giving any orders? Do people on boats generally do what they're told?

Being an OOW on a merchant ship is a lot like being the shift manager at McDonald's. You got a boss, but he ain't around right now, and there's a bunch of people that are kinda under you and kinda know their job; you just have to make sure they do it and do it safely. As a brand new third mate, you don't so much give orders as you ask people to do their job and coordinate.

Also, instead of running pimply teenagers working for minimum wage, you're managing unionized 250 lbs Archie Bunkers with twenty years of experience. Check out the second season of The Wire, it'll give you a vague idea. (Just without most of the drug smuggling.)

Ghost of Orbo posted:

Do people on boats generally do what they're told?

:laugh:

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008
Martime Academy people, then!!!

Is there anywhere in the US where I can gain state residency fairly quickly to avoid supermassive tuition rates?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I don't think you'll be able to start before the fall of 2013, so it might be worth it to use that time to get your MMD's in order and ship out a little bit; it'd give you an idea of what you're getting into before you go at it for four years.

Plus a couple of bucks and valuable experience and sea time.

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

I don't think you'll be able to start before the fall of 2013, so it might be worth it to use that time to get your MMD's in order and ship out a little bit; it'd give you an idea of what you're getting into before you go at it for four years.

Plus a couple of bucks and valuable experience and sea time.

I wasn't planning on starting before then. Getting licenses in order, then, plus experience. That's a plan.

If I start getting my poo poo together now, would it be possible to be on a boat sometime at the beginning of next year?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Ghost of Orbo posted:

I wasn't planning on starting before then. Getting licenses in order, then, plus experience. That's a plan.

I think you're getting confused. The soonest you can get your license is probably something like 2018; the license is the paper that says "Yep, this guy can legally be an OOW / EOW."

What you need right now are certificates that say "Yep, this guy knows how to put out a fire", "This guy knows how to do CPR, but ON A BOAT!" and "It doesn't look like this guy's gonna keel over from a heart attack this year so meh." Namely, STCW basic safety training, marine first aid and a medical fitness certificate. The US requirements might differ somewhat, so ask around.

You also need a set Merchant Mariner's Documents or, as they're known everywhere else in the world, a discharge book. This is kind of like a passport, except instead of saying "This guy came into this country on that day and needs to leave by that date", it says "This guy worked on that boat from this date to that date." Originally, it was a proof that you'd been legally discharged from your previous vessel instead of jumping ship; nowaday it's mostly to track your sea time.

Since you're in the states, you'll also need a Transportation Workers Identification Card, or TWIC.

(:911: goons feel free to correct me)

Ghost of Orbo posted:

If I start getting my poo poo together now, would it be possible to be on a boat sometime at the beginning of next year?

Get in touch with the Coast Guard and the Seamen's International Union (The US one), they'll be able to give you more exact answers.

My answer is "Maybe, if you're lucky and find a training slot / job that doesn't ask for the safety training cert."

Post Alone
Mar 29, 2010

Is this the right thread to ask about working on an offshore oil platform? 'Cause I want to do that.

I've got a BS in Physics, and I'm about to get a Master of Science in Engineering (mechanical/fluids, to be specific). Is this experience useful to oil companies hiring people to work on platforms? I can also lift a weight, and as a grad student I'm well-acclimated to grueling 90-hour work weeks in the most isolated work environment possible.

How can I make this happen? What kind of people to oil companies look to hire for this stuff?

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

Ghost of Orbo posted:

Is there anywhere in the US where I can gain state residency fairly quickly to avoid supermassive tuition rates?

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I believe every state has in-state tuition costs with one of the academies?

I know New York had like, six or seven states that counted as in-state, I would think you should check with California Maritime Academy.

Ghost of Orbo posted:

My experience is thus;

You'll be told that you have no idea what you're doing, immediately before being handed the metaphorical keys to a multi-million dollar vessel, unsupervised, for four hours at a time. At all times, you will be reminded that you don't know what you're doing, but that you're closer to doing the right thing than the 62 year old guys who have been sailing since Vietnam, so don't let them sass mouth you.

Make sure you do things slow and safe, but god help you if you aren't doing them fast enough. After all, you're in charge down there, but you know, you don't know anything. Remember that part.

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

I think you're getting confused.

I see. Licensed != certified?

I'll talk to the agencies you mentioned and see what I can do.

Oh great another question:

For maritime academy students, do you hold down a job while going to school?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

poo poo thread voted 1 posted:

Is this the right thread to ask about working on an offshore oil platform? 'Cause I want to do that.

I've got a BS in Physics, and I'm about to get a Master of Science in Engineering (mechanical/fluids, to be specific). Is this experience useful to oil companies hiring people to work on platforms? I can also lift a weight, and as a grad student I'm well-acclimated to grueling 90-hour work weeks in the most isolated work environment possible.

How can I make this happen? What kind of people to oil companies look to hire for this stuff?

I think there are some guys in the thread who work offshore, but they might be at sea so I'll take a shot:

The guys working on the rigs aren't so much engineers as they are mechanics. I'm sure there are engineers involved in the process, but I'd assume they get hired like any other engineers would. I'd imagine you'd need some petroleum extraction experience or qualification.

If you wanna work as a roughneck, your degrees are hilariously over the top. I also highly doubt your experience working 90 hours a week as a graduate student who can lift a weight would adequately prepare you for rig work.

But once again, I'm not a rig person, so I'm talking out of my rear end. http://www.oilcareers.com/worldwide/ was the first thing that popped up in google, they might have more information.

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

Ghost of Orbo posted:

Can't talk for other academies, but we weren't even allowed to leave campus grounds during the week at New York Maritime.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Ghost of Orbo posted:

No, a licensed officer will also have certificates. I have an envelope full of them: Medical fitness, person in charge of medical care, ship security officer, ARPA and Simulated Electronic Navigation, Basic Safety Training, Proficiency in Survival Craft Excluding Fast Rescue Boat (There's a mouthful), care and use of the marine sextant, Crowd Management - Advanced Training, Advanced Fire Fighting, Advanced Marine First Aid, GMDSS General Operator, ECDIS, Bridge Resource Management, Tanker Familiarization, and a few other company-specific things.

Then you have a license. It looks like a passport, has your pictures and poo poo, and says something along the lines of:

CAPACITY: As Chief Mate
RRESTRICTION: NONE

CAPACITY: As Master
RESTRICTION: Vessels less than 500 GRT engaged in Near Coastal Voyages

CAPACITY: As Master
RESTRICTION: Secondary Waters

I'd post a scan, but :ninja:

Anyway, the license gives you the right to sign on to a vessel and assume the functions it states, or a lower rank (IE, I can ship 3rd Mate with a Chief Mate license). The certificates are another thing; you need some of them to be able to work aboard a ship (Basic Safety Training, whatever), and ships are required to carry a certain number of certified people for other (Every ship needs one person with an SSO, one person with a Medical Care at Sea, three persons with GMDSS, etc.)

Some of them might only be required on certain ship types (Oil tanker Familiarization / Endorsement, Crowd Management, etc.) or on ships with certain types of equipment (DP, ECDIS). Others are needed to obtain a license, such as the Sextant training certificate. They won't give you a deck officer license if you don't have a valid radio operator, first aid, medical fitness and safety training certificate.

There's another type of certificates for the unlicensed crew, namely Rating Forming Part of a Navigational Watch ("Watchman") or wheelsman's certificate, Engine Room Rating ("MA") and Able Seaman ("AB", which you never see anymore in Canada because it's harder to get than an OOW). Those require sea time and an exam; you'd eventually want one, but you don't need to worry about that so far.

Long story short: A certificate is something you can get in a week*, a license is something you can get in a few years.

*Except for the watchman, AB and MA certs

quote:

I could have worked maybe 10-15 hours a week during my first semester, since I had most of my core classes taken care of previously. I know exactly one person who held down a part time job the whole time through and managed to finish in four years... And I think she had to skip a sea term to finish some classes, because she got her license six months after she graduated. Working part time might be harder in a paramilitary academy, I wouldn't know.

Once you get through your second year or so, you can usually get some sort of watchstanding certificate that would allow to get a pretty good job between terms. I paid my last two years just from cadet pay and working as a deckhand over the summers. (:canada: tho, so tuition wasn't even a line item on my budget)

This isn't your average community college or trade school program; about 60% of people fail or drop out.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Ghost of Orbo posted:

I'll talk to the agencies you mentioned and see what I can do.

Oh great another question:

You need a Basic Safety Certificate to prove you have taken and passed basic firefighting, lifeboats and survival swimming before leaving land.

Officers receive a license saying they can hold a position up to Captain or Chief Engineer on vessels of x tonnage or diesel, steam, gas turbine propulsion plants of x horsepower. An academy is another 4 years, although depending on your previous degrees and a whole lot of luck you might be able to cut out a semester or two. At the end you will get a license as an engineer or a mate along with a degree. You need to decide if you like sitting on your rear end in the AC on the bridge, staring out over the ocean in your nice clean sweatpants, tank top and sandals or if you like to sweat your balls off working in 120+ heat up to your rear end in a top hat in heavy fuel trying to fix poo poo so the ship can sail. The benefits to the second are being able to actually get a job.

Unlicensed unions are the SIU, MFOW and SUP. SIU pays the least.

At CMA there were plenty of people who held down part time jobs or worked for the school. I don't know if things have changed. When I applied they took applications on a first come first serve basis so it wasn't hard to get in. Actually graduating is another thing entirely.

Looking forward to getting in the steam drum tomorrow.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 10, 2012

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

You need to decide if you like sitting on your rear end in the AC on the bridge, staring out over the ocean in your nice clean sweatpants, tank top and sandals or if you like to sweat your balls off working in 120+ heat up to your rear end in a top hat in heavy fuel trying to fix poo poo so the ship can sail. The benefits to the second are being able to actually get a job.

Alternatively, you could be freezing your rear end off at -40 degrees, standing next to a coal chute when you're not running up and down the deck trying to get the boat loaded so your employer can make money, or you could be sitting in the nice AC control room opening ballast valves and drinking coffee. :smugdog:

Both jobs suck, but engineers do have more opportunities.

What's a steam drum, anyway?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A steam drum is the early version of today's drum machines. Rather than use solid state electronics, it's all steam operated.

Strange your guys course is 4 years, mine is only 3...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Do you do all your courses in one go, then all your sea time? We did a year at school, sea term over the summer, fall semester in school, winter semester at sea, safety training, summer off (Most people worked), full year at school, summer-fall at sea, winter semester, graduate, finish sea time as needed, examinations, :10bux:.

I've also seen programs where they did, I think, three semesters in school then a ton of sea time with training manuals and assignments. That was in India, tho.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

First two years are half and half school and seatime. Last year is all school.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Do you get summer vacations and poo poo, or is it a year round thing?

Post Alone
Mar 29, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

If you wanna work as a roughneck, your degrees are hilariously over the top. I also highly doubt your experience working 90 hours a week as a graduate student who can lift a weight would adequately prepare you for rig work.

If we're assuming that most engineer-type people work onshore (I'm not sure about this), how would I get started on this track? Scratch the degrees off my resume, shave my beard, get some tats, shoot some steroids so I can deadlift 500 lbs by next week?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Do you get summer vacations and poo poo, or is it a year round thing?

Pretty much year round. The first two years school breaks in August or September and starts again in February, which is when you do your seatime. So any time you have when you aren't on the ship is yours.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yo Ghost of Orbo, I'm an academy cadet right now, mid-20s, got some degree action going, I can lay it down for you how it is if you want to know, if you have aim or something I'm "tragedymule" on there. If you want to know the long and the short of it on the Academy route I can tell you how it works pretty well.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Do you guys actually swear as much as the rest of us are led to believe with phrases like swearing like a sailor and sailor's mouth?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wolfy posted:

Do you guys actually swear as much as the rest of us are led to believe with phrases like swearing like a sailor and sailor's mouth?

The first time I watched Deadwood, it took me half a season to realize what the fuss was all about.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
The steam drum is where we make steam. Its also where you don't want to touch anything and your sweat barely has time to hit the metal.

Most academies have a shoreside engineering degree of some type. Mates don't have nearly the amount of opportunity shoreside so you want engineering of some kind. If you live in CA and have an engineering degree with heavy machinery experience the local 39 IUOSE has a job for you starting at around $45/hr in the Bay Area.

CMA was four years for an engineering degree with classes of some type for 10 months out of the year to fit it all in. The limiting factor to our learning was time more than anything else. Four month semesters with 2 months at sea each summer for three summers or one trip to sea and 2 summers in a shoreside internship.

For schools I would recommend the one with that works for you, they are all quite close in quality so go to school wherever.

Goodtime Pancreas
May 31, 2007
Anyone have any questions about lifeboats, winches, or davits? I work for the service division of a large company that makes this stuff. I mostly work on MSC ships but i have worked on a couple that weren't. I'm looking into jumping ship and actually sailing on the ships so i've been perusing this thread, but i figured maybe some people might have some questions on their equipment.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Wolfy posted:

Its not a complete sentence if it doesn't have gently caress in it somewhere.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ok I have a minute to actually write up my academy experience so far. I've been in for two semesters and a training ship summer on the engine side, and am on a 3 year track because I already had a degree. For me the hardest part has been going back to being a broke rear end undergrad after finally landing a full time job.

Great Lakes:

-no regiment at all
-3 year program for people with degrees, just a filthy dirty pared-down trade school program basically, everyone seems to do fine when they graduate so the lack of a shoreside engineering degree isn't killing us I guess (4 year guys get a business degree)
-maritime classes cost the same for if you are in state or not, the non maritime classes have the usual big gap between in state out of state though. Maritime classes are expensive for everyone.
-basically for engine 3 year at least you do
Year 1: 2 classroom semesters, the training ship summer
Year 2: 2 classroom semesters, summer on a commercial ship
Year 3: License prep semester, license exam, go sail for a nice long semester to finish your sea time, drop by school and pick up your license.

The classroom work is very trade school like since we are not an engineering degree but we learn to wrench on stuff pretty good and get lots of really educational time on the training ship for learning. The ship is good and we don't do a lot of extra chipping and painting out there.

You can shave a semester off by doubling up usually somewhere if you come in with a lot of science classes. The main ones that get in the way are a lab-based chem and physics, and a management class. If you come in with those and some calculus you'll be taking nothing but maritime and might have to double way up to keep full time. If you are clever you can do this pretty easily, it's like eating 10 pounds of marshmallows, it's not SUPER hard but you'd have to be crazy to ENJOY it, just gotta keep plodding away at it. This is how you can end up getting graduated early.

The cadets are like ages 18-60 with an emphasis on the older ages, we get a lot of 22-30 year olds who have done college or the Navy and want to get into a new career. The upperclassmen say they learn a lot sailing commercial and aren't any worse or better in general than the guys from the other schools.

The town is alright, you basically live in a tourist town in the off season so it's not bad but there's not much to do except outdoor recreation but there's lots of good cycling and fishing and x country and stuff. And lots of powersport opportunities for the man with some money to spare, it's definitely Northern Michigan up there.

A lot of guys work part time, sometimes a guy can get lucky and find a quick unlicensed job on the lakes in the summer and make some major cash in 6 weeks (there's a few gaps that long). Can't count on it but if there's some jobs you can get em, just talk to the company reps who come by on recruiting tours and see if they can direct hire. But mainly everyone just has jobs as bartenders or at the car wash or driving a tow truck or whatever random thing.

You don't need a great GPA or to be an academic stud by any means to get in, but it's good to have a solid background so that you don't have to take many hours of extra classes. The admissions people will really work with you and there are some good scholarships (this is less true for 3 year program) including being a shipkeeper on the training ship to make sure it doesn't sink or fill with sewage or whatever which gets you free housing.

Anyway I guess this is rambling but it's a pretty chill program, the hardest part is just that it's a real killer to wait and wait and take classes and go on the training ship and stuff when everyone just wants a crack at a real ship to start learning the job for reals.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Goodtime Pancreas posted:

Anyone have any questions about lifeboats, winches, or davits? I work for the service division of a large company that makes this stuff. I mostly work on MSC ships but i have worked on a couple that weren't. I'm looking into jumping ship and actually sailing on the ships so i've been perusing this thread, but i figured maybe some people might have some questions on their equipment.

My only question is why you'd want to go to sea, you have the kind of job most of us would hope to get.

What kind of davits do you work on? Gravity, freefall, what have you?

Free-fall life boats: Terrifying thing or the most terrifying thing?

Goodtime Pancreas
May 31, 2007
Because my job is not as easy as you would think. Pretty much once your signature is on the report after doing an inspection or any work it is a legally binding document, if anything goes wrong, especially if anyone is injured you will most likely end up in court.

This kind of responsibilty is ridiculous considering the low pay. I've been working with the company for a little over a year and i'm still at 12 an hour, although i can not work jobs by myself. but most engineers are at like 18 dollars an hour. And everyone in the shipyards and on the ships think we are making gobs of money so they end up really trying to make us work for it.

We work on every kind of davit you can think of; freefall, gravity, track, because my company has bought up the rights to almost every davit, winch, and lifeboat company in the US and Europe, and maybe a couple Asian as well.

And Freefalls are terrifying, I don't even like working in them because its so uncomfortable trying to walk down in them due to the angle. I've heard of windshields crashing through and all kinds of poo poo happening to our engineers, including a freefall on a car carrier; gently caress that. I'm glad i've never had the pleasure of riding one. My company has the record for the highest safe freefall boat, launching it from 55m, and that is because that was the limit of the crane the system was on.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hey dude,
What are your thoughts on this awful accident? This was my last ship, though I was not there when this happened.

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...Mv4lJZ6paf2_B7A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008

shovelbum posted:

Yo Ghost of Orbo, I'm an academy cadet right now, mid-20s, got some degree action going, I can lay it down for you how it is if you want to know, if you have aim or something I'm "tragedymule" on there. If you want to know the long and the short of it on the Academy route I can tell you how it works pretty well.

I'm almost always logged in on AIM or IRC, but I'm usually idling.

AIM: dooendhaif

IRC: skilcraft or skilc (usually lurking around on Freenode or EFNet)

Send me a message and we'll figure out a way to communicate.

currently emailing USCG

• Locked thread