Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Gonna have to fourth the recommendation for DepressingDrawer's Postal 2 LP. His commentary is excellent, as are his extraneous audio choices.

I AM THE LAW!! I AM THE LAW!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
I'm genuinely a little unsure of how to recommend this thread, since I kinda feel like you should go in a bit unaware.

Well, Metroixer's Feel the Magic XX/XY is a lot of fun.

If, like me, you enjoyed this launch-title DS game but forgot all about it, Metroixer gives a chill, relaxing play through it. Kinda wish he'd do hard mode, but I sort of remember why he doesn't.

Now if you've never heard of this game... it's very Japanese. Not anime, not creepy, just ... off kilter and odd and funny. It's got some odd uses of the Nintendo DS stylus and microphone, it's silly, it's ...

It's about a boy who meets a girl, and too woo her, he joins a group-

No, I won't spoil it.

Metroixer's videos are short and it really doesn't take very long to see if it'd interest you or not. But I'd recommend if you want a chill LP of a very silly, innocent game. I think the videos range in the 5-10 minute mark, so there's not much investment. Go enjoy.

Antikythera
Jan 27, 2011

Just like clockwork.

Seconding this. The game is like a more chill version of the Wario Ware games, and the commentry is pretty darn chill too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm going to recommend DarkHamsterlord's LP of Radiant Historia. He's doing a good job, showing everything off, going for full completion, showing all the bad endings, and putting in links to the music and doing videos for the boss fights.

But the real reason I'm recommending it is because the story and characters are very well-written, even the antagonists. Every major character (except Protea) is well-fleshed out with motivations that feel real, and as the story unfolds, the way events change people also feels real. That includes Stocke, the protagonist. Unlike most JRPG protagonists, he's clearly a thinking man, and there's not a trace of angst to be found, nor is he a naive optimist who thinks friendship can save the day.

This just wrapped up today and it's definitely worth checking out if you haven't already. He does a great job of showcasing everything there is to see in this excellent game.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
I'd like to recommend Kuvo's Deus Ex: Human Revolution LP, with the following caveat:

It is a LP of some dudes hanging out and talking about a game, and not all about being quiet during cutscenes or dialogue. I fully realize that that's another good way to LP this game, and you may not want lots of chatter.

But if you do, this is good.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
^^^ If you miss something because topikal and I were talking talking over a cutscenes, download the mp4 files from blip. There's a second audio track that just game audio.

Speaking of two dudes chatting about games, Geop's Dark Souls LP is really fun to watch. Dark Souls is known for it's unforgiving gameplay, and Geop is doing a blind run of it. While this would normally make for repeated deaths (and a boring LP), he has Vicas along to help trick him into dying guide him.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Kuvo posted:

Speaking of two dudes chatting about games, Geop's Dark Souls LP is really fun to watch. Dark Souls is known for it's unforgiving gameplay, and Geop is doing a blind run of it. While this would normally make for repeated deaths (and a boring LP), he has Vicas along to help trick him into dying guide him.

I wholeheartedly second this recommendation, It strikes just the right balance between hilarious failure and spectacular success. :allears:

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
It certainly helps that Geop's pretty competent at the game and he's editing out a lot of the boring backtracking where nothing of interest happens. I totally suggest checking it out as well.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
I'd like to recommend Yapping Eevee's SSLP of Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak. The quality of the screenshots and gif animations is constantly great, and the commentary is both very playful and fitting to the game's overall theme. Normally it would be a little risqué to take an already existing Japanese anime show and make a portable video game out of it, but this game is a bold exception to the rule. The developers have given the necessary effort to fill this game with such intricate animated details for every single hamster character and have added just enough extra content to occupy yourself with. The plot is simple but it is not as streamlined that it drags you by the hand. This is a great, great game and I've cherished it a lot as a kid, and I'm confident enough to say that I've enjoyed playing this as much as any other mainstream video games when I was younger.

Get ready to be overflowed with an ample amount of :3: per every update.

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 8, 2012

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I'm looking for some JRPG/RPGs LP's that preferably are video that aren't Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger or Persona? I love watching RPG's while working on things at home and after attempting to watch guys like HC Bailey on YouTube I just want to tear my ears off my head. It can even be modern JRPG's but I really like the old school style of gameplay.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Disappointing Pie posted:

I'm looking for some JRPG/RPGs LP's that preferably are video that aren't Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger or Persona? I love watching RPG's while working on things at home and after attempting to watch guys like HC Bailey on YouTube I just want to tear my ears off my head. It can even be modern JRPG's but I really like the old school style of gameplay.

You mean Video LPs? Those usually get discouraged here since there's so much repetitive stuff to slog through. I know there's a couple, but I can't think of them right now.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

slowbeef posted:

You mean Video LPs? Those usually get discouraged here since there's so much repetitive stuff to slog through. I know there's a couple, but I can't think of them right now.

Preferably, I put them on in the background on my other monitor and work on invoices and paperwork while listening to them. I was curious why there was so few video LPs on SA. I'm a completionist kind of guy so a video LP that shows everything is perfect for me. The Giant Bomb Persona 4 LP is perfect even at over 100 hours of video.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Preferably, I put them on in the background on my other monitor and work on invoices and paperwork while listening to them. I was curious why there was so few video LPs on SA. I'm a completionist kind of guy so a video LP that shows everything is perfect for me. The Giant Bomb Persona 4 LP is perfect even at over 100 hours of video.
Maybe give Davidspackage LP of Stonekeep a try. Very informative commentary over a nice little slice of 90's WRPG'ing. It's especially nice if you've never heard of the series and you can get a good idea of the way the game was such a trainwreck.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
I've been trying to find an old LP lately, the name of the games in which escapes me and so does the author, but it's basically one guy alternating between two obscure japanese platformers, one with a bunch of cars ala Sonic and another with a grasshopper in a Ray-Man-esque sort of game. The reason I loved it and want to go through it again, is the consistently funny commentary that often turns to the bizarre (the lp'er manages to do uproarius character-perspective narration without coming across like an infantile douchebag for one). This is pretty sparse, but I am hoping someone here knows what I'm talking about.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

murphyslaw posted:

I've been trying to find an old LP lately, the name of the games in which escapes me and so does the author, but it's basically one guy alternating between two obscure japanese platformers, one with a bunch of cars ala Sonic and another with a grasshopper in a Ray-Man-esque sort of game. The reason I loved it and want to go through it again, is the consistently funny commentary that often turns to the bizarre (the lp'er manages to do uproarius character-perspective narration without coming across like an infantile douchebag for one). This is pretty sparse, but I am hoping someone here knows what I'm talking about.
That would be by Robotnik DDS: http://lparchive.org/Super-Tempo/

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Thanks, man! Been trying to find that for a while.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Well, there are the Oblivion and Mass Effect lps that Maxwell Adams did. Less informative, but hella funny most of the time.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Niggurath posted:

Maybe give Davidspackage LP of Stonekeep a try. Very informative commentary over a nice little slice of 90's WRPG'ing. It's especially nice if you've never heard of the series and you can get a good idea of the way the game was such a trainwreck.

I'll second this. Davidspackage always does quality work and he knows the game inside and out.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Brainamp posted:

Well, there are the Oblivion and Mass Effect lps that Maxwell Adams did. Less informative, but hella funny most of the time.

A warning, after a while the Oblivion LP starts attracting truly terrible guest commentators, and the LP itself went from being pleasantly unfocused to being unable to hold my attention about 2/3 of the way in - you can really sense Adams grow tired of the game and stop putting in the effort to make things interesting. Maybe it picks up again at the very end?

Also, everyone should watch the first 2-3 videos of their Mass Effect one; I've never laughed harder at an LP. The rest of that one is good too, just not up to that initial standard of comedy.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Lance Streetman posted:

Just repeating this, since there's no limit to how many people can recommend an LP, Ghost Trick is an amazing LP. Haifisch did a great job with it, and included a bunch of amazing gifs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OooRFEj42M

Oh, and you will never guess some of the twists this game pulls.

This game proves that the 2d medium is still a very valid and expanding artistic arena.

Just imagine a 2d Megaman with characters with as much body language.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Can anybody give me some recommendations on some video (not screenshot), really informative LP's? (I've searched on lparchive.org and it gave me a list but I'm not sure the quality of them)

Basically, I'm looking for an LP where somebody really knows a lot about the game and not just a bunch of idiots playing it together not really saying anything interesting...

(I'm espicially interested in Sierra games if any of that stuff exists with informative commentary but I'm open to all suggestions for anything interesting!)

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Vinlaen posted:

Can anybody give me some recommendations on some video (not screenshot), really informative LP's? (I've searched on lparchive.org and it gave me a list but I'm not sure the quality of them)

Basically, I'm looking for an LP where somebody really knows a lot about the game and not just a bunch of idiots playing it together not really saying anything interesting...

(I'm espicially interested in Sierra games if any of that stuff exists with informative commentary but I'm open to all suggestions for anything interesting!)

- Nidoking did very thorough video LPs of the entire Space Quest series, plus King's Quest 8.

- All of supergreatfriend's LPs are in video format, usually involving strange, overlooked games that he knows inside and out (Deadly Premonition, D2 and Illbleed are especially good).

- In the archive, look for the "informative" tag.

vv - Oh yeah, how could I forget Bacter's Colonel's Bequest? (Definitely watch the bonus videos, too.)

RoeCocoa fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 9, 2012

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Vinlaen posted:

Have you watched Bacter's Colonel's Bequest LP? Give that one a shot - it's on the archive.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Mister Roboto posted:

This game proves that the 2d medium is still a very valid and expanding artistic arena.

Just imagine a 2d Megaman with characters with as much body language.

It's actually 3D models with flat shading, very simple textures and isometric projection, although I don't know if it's actually rendered on the fly or was pre-rendered into sprites. That said, yeah, it looks fantastic, and I wouldn't mind if other games tried to imitate that style.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

It's actually 3D models with flat shading, very simple textures and isometric projection, although I don't know if it's actually rendered on the fly or was pre-rendered into sprites. That said, yeah, it looks fantastic, and I wouldn't mind if other games tried to imitate that style.
Given that anything initially rendered to be 3D looks pixelly on the top of the DS screen (because of resolution, maybe? Heck if I know), I'd wager that every single Ghost Trick character model was made in 3D. The animation is way too fluid and rigid for it to be sprite animation, which gives a lot of liberties in terms of body arcs and "bendability" (see Guilty Gears sprite animations, for example).

Spoiler for a graphic design in the last case of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: they've utilized this method in Case 5 for the security camera video of Meekly, the police officer and the white coat dude.

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 9, 2012

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Any good text adventure (not CYOA) LPs out there? Doesn't have to be on the archive.

Vinlaen posted:

I'd say Qotile Swirl's Alone in the Dark LP is downright excellent and fits your criteria. It's a classic survival horror adventure, and Qotile Swirl is putting a lot of effort in the LP while being extremely knowledgeable about the game.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
The Bureaucracy LP is pretty great.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Vinlaen posted:

Three of my favourites are extremely informative, albeit in different ways. Demon's Souls is great with how thoroughly Squint goes over all of the game's content and secrets. He goes out of his way to show off as much as possible, and for what he can't there are a couple other playthroughs from other goons.

Assassin's Creed is different because Geop goes into a lot of the history of the era. He's also done Assassin's Creed 2, if you're more interested in Renaissance Italy.

Finally, Battlefield 1942 is a multiplayer LP, but James315 does a fantastic job of explaining tactics, and strategy for all of his matches. One of the things I really like about it are his closing thoughts about how the match went, and how the losing team could have turned it around.

These aren't old school adventure games, but these are must watches if you like informative LPs IMO.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
I'd recommend any of MeccaPrime's LPs for the guy looking for an informative one. On top of being insanely charismatic he knows the ins and outs of every game he LPs it seems.

His Metroid Fusion LP going on at the moment is pretty informative as well. You can find that here.

Fake Edit: I'd also recommend Geop's Assassin's Creed LPs as well. On top of the informative playing of the game, he also has separate videos entirely devoted to the history of that particular part of the game. It is really interesting.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Vinlaen posted:

Simply Simon did a good job with the Megaman games. Not sure what happened to him.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Simply Simon did a good job with the Megaman games. Not sure what happened to him.

He's occasionally updating his Mega Man Zero LP.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Vinlaen posted:

Giragast's picked a couple of obscure last-gen shooters and dissected them more thoroughly than their creators could have. Check his stuff out:
http://lparchive.org/author/Giragast#results

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Suspicious Dish posted:

Guess the reason nobody watched my Donkey Kong Land LP is me just turning spontaneously invisible. Happens to the best of us, I guess.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Simply Simon posted:

Happens to the best of us, I guess.

And also to you!

But seriously Donkey Kong is dull as poo poo to watch, I wouldn't take it personal.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

CrookedB posted:

Any good text adventure (not CYOA) LPs out there? Doesn't have to be on the archive.

The ongoing Adam Cadre megathread is pretty good, and the author has actually showed up to make a few comments. I also really enjoyed Suspect and Witness.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Crane Fist posted:

And also to you!

But seriously Donkey Kong is dull as poo poo to watch, I wouldn't take it personal.

The reason I didn't watch DKL is because it kind of hurt my eyes. Those graphics do not work on a game boy I don't care how fun it is.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Yeah, I was one of the people who actually did watch it, and I had to turn it off a couple of times because of the graphics.

It felt like I was looking at one of those magic eye puzzles but with bananas and kremlings instead of sailboats.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

Guess the reason nobody watched my Donkey Kong Land LP is me just turning spontaneously invisible. Happens to the best of us, I guess.

I didn't even know it existed.

Mico posted:

The reason I didn't watch DKL is because it kind of hurt my eyes. Those graphics do not work on a game boy I don't care how fun it is.

You weren't kidding.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks for all of the suggestions everybody!

This might be off topic but is there a way to download all the videos on the pages from the lparchive?

I'd love to have them offline in one large file so I can watch them on my iPhone, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Vinlaen posted:

Thanks for all of the suggestions everybody!

This might be off topic but is there a way to download all the videos on the pages from the lparchive?

I'd love to have them offline in one large file so I can watch them on my iPhone, etc.

You can download the source from here I think.

• Locked thread