Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

biglads posted:

Tsk, Sherried Scotch?

Mortlach supremacy.

Mortlach is good, but the lack of availability is somewhat frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

By that I mean it's a loving poo poo.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/mortlach-16-year-old-whisky/

Pretty good price, and in stock currently. So rich and meaty.

Glenfarclas, Glendronach and Aberlour as have already been mentioned are good sherried drams. I've never been that keen on the Auchentoshan Three Wood but I'll give it another go next time I see it. I've always found Auchentoshan a little sweet for my palate. Glendronach 15 is a real favourite of mine.

Of course, Yamazaki 18 is another stormer if you are a bit richer.

biglads fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 9, 2012

smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla

biglads posted:

[url]
Of course, Yamazaki 18 is another stormer if you are a bit richer.

Yamazaki 18 is brilliant, although I reckon it is slightly more about oak than sherry. What happened to them anyway, they used to be a steal for <£70 a year ago and now they are way past £100 everywhere?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

smn posted:

Yamazaki 18 is brilliant, although I reckon it is slightly more about oak than sherry. What happened to them anyway, they used to be a steal for <£70 a year ago and now they are way past £100 everywhere?
I've never found Yamazaki 18yr to be oaky. There are only traces of wood spice and none of the earthiness. Since some of these 'big' flavors are missing, the sherried aspects comes to the fore. Basically you get big toffee, big dark fruits without it bopping you on the head like, for example, A'bunadh would.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 10, 2012

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

smn posted:

Exchange rates, m8. Yens is expensive now.

Hubbins
Sep 3, 2007
THIS is what a Hubbins looks like.
Got to try three more whiskys today.
Aberlour 12, Oban 14, and Lagavulin 16.

I enjoyed all three. The Oban 14 was very smooth and was the favorite of those at the table who tried it with me. This time around I actually enjoyed the peaty Lagavulin (last time I did not enjoy the Laphroaig). Maybe it is due to the fact that I had a bottle of Highland Park 12 and got used to the peat taste or that I already had a drink or two in me at the time.

I still find the smell of the peated whiskys to be quite overpowering, but the taste is starting to grow on me.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Has anyone else tried High West's Campfire? It's a blend of bourbon, rye, and Scotch. Although the predominant flavor is "smokey bourbon", you definitely get sips that taste primarily of one of the three spirits. I like to think of it as booze for when you just can't decide what you want you want to drink.

I'd also like to commend High West for focusing on blends rather than releasing $50 bottles of hot, immature whiskey like most of the distilleries that have sprung up in the last few years.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

lavaca posted:

Has anyone else tried High West's Campfire? It's a blend of bourbon, rye, and Scotch. Although the predominant flavor is "smokey bourbon", you definitely get sips that taste primarily of one of the three spirits. I like to think of it as booze for when you just can't decide what you want you want to drink.

I'd also like to commend High West for focusing on blends rather than releasing $50 bottles of hot, immature whiskey like most of the distilleries that have sprung up in the last few years.

I've been dying to try this, just for the novelty factor of it. We've got plenty of High West around here, but none of their Campfire blend.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So far I've tried Evan Williams green, black, and the Wild Turkey 101. I'm planning on trying the Evan Williams single-barrel, and also a small bottle of Woodford Reserve. Is there anything else I should try if I really like the sweet side of bouron?

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So far I've tried Evan Williams green, black, and the Wild Turkey 101. I'm planning on trying the Evan Williams single-barrel, and also a small bottle of Woodford Reserve. Is there anything else I should try if I really like the sweet side of bouron?

Dickel's on the low end, Blaton's on the higher end.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

biglads posted:

Tsk, Sherried Scotch?

Mortlach supremacy.

I held in my hand earlier today a 15 y/o Gordon & MacPhail bottling of Mortlach. I saw at least one more on the shelf.

Should I have bought it?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jo3sh posted:

Should I have bought it?

Depends if you like it or not.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Jo3sh posted:

I held in my hand earlier today a 15 y/o Gordon & MacPhail bottling of Mortlach. I saw at least one more on the shelf.

Should I have bought it?

I can't say without knowing a bit more about that bottling. A friend of mine bought a bourbon cask Mortlach last year and while it was very good it wasn't the house style.

The 16y/o 'Flora & Fauna' edition is the standard one, and very good it is too.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
While it may meet the legal requirements, Dickel is really terrible when compared as a bourbon. A better recommendation for a sweet bourbon is 1783 especially since you are already fond of EW. Eagle Rare is also quite sweet.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there any way to find a local store that has the small batch aside from calling them all? I've been to three so far and they don't seem to have it. Including two of the biggest ones I know of in town.

edit: Basically, is there an equivalent of beerfinder for other types of booze? Because I'm not seeing it.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 15, 2012

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

1. Have any of you had a whiskey bottle uncork itself? I bought some Templeton Rye a few days ago and put it on the cabinet shelf, then opened today to find the cork had popped out and was laying nearby. Temps have been holding around 80 degrees, maybe more or less in the cabinet. The rye still tastes okay, though seems to have lost a fair bit of its alcohol burn after sitting up there uncorked for however long and is a bit less interesting for it.

2. Some friends are hosting a going-away party this weekend and one of them has never had alcohol before (he's over 21, even) and indicated that he maybe might possibly be receptive sort of to trying something beginner-y and good for mixed drinks (most likely with Coke, or with whatever is laying around). I'm thinking about buying him a bottle or at least bringing one he can sample from for the occasion, and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions, something more palatable for a spirits virgin that would still be great for one with more experience, as I'm most likely going to be drinking the rest of the bottle myself.

I was considering RedBreast, but I don't know how well that would go with inexpertly-mixed concoctions, nor how it would appeal to someone so green.

(3. This is a bit off-topic, but there aren't really other spirits threads to field the inquiry: what are your favorite rums? After spending the late teen years drinking and not caring for Captain Morgan and Bacardi and Malibu, then trying something new with Kraken and really disliking it (it tasted less like a rum than a rum-flavored syrup to be poured over snow cones), I recently chanced on a bottle of Mount Gay Extra Old and loved it and decided it was a category underrepresented in my collection. Though I generally take rum neat, the way I tend to drink everything, I'm open to mixes, rums that are particularly good in mixes: recent discovery of and subsequent obsession with Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series prompted me to buy Lobscouse & Spotted Dog and throw together some grog, and I was pretty into it.)

4. I've got a handle on nearly all the terminology, but could someone give me a better explanation of "chewy" whisk(e)y? It's a standard adjective but because I've never come across one where I'd come out with that descriptor myself I'm still a little unclear what it's describing.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Bolocko posted:

I was considering RedBreast, but I don't know how well that would go with inexpertly-mixed concoctions, nor how it would appeal to someone so green.

It's hard to go wrong with an Old Fashioned. I like the black Evan Williams for them and it won't cost much. I wouldn't use anything more expensive for mixing. Glenlivet 12 is a pretty safe single malt scotch if you wanted to go that route.

quote:

3. This is a bit off-topic, but there aren't really other spirits threads to field the inquiry: what are your favorite rums?

I really liked Kraken but Sailor Jerry is a good, lighter rum with a strong vanilla flavor. It's not bad for a Rum Old Fashioned either.

There's a cocktail thread in GWS but it's not usually as active as this thread.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Im a beginner whiskey scotch drinker and just finished a Balvenie 12yr doublewood. Whats a good next progression scotch under $100

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bolocko posted:

1. Have any of you had a whiskey bottle uncork itself?

2. ...he maybe might possibly be receptive sort of to trying something beginner-y and good for mixed drinks

3. what are your favorite rums?

4. "chewy" whisk(e)y?

1. Was any missing? Maybe you have a gremlin drinking your booze after midnight.
2. Screwdriver or Tequila Sunrise. Evan Williams 1783 is good introductory bourbon for mixing or sipping.
3. Zaya.
4. No idea.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Chewy whisky, hmm.

Well it's definitely the mouthfeel. The idea I get from that is that it's probably a somewhat oily, full bodied whisky. Some whiskies can feel thin in the mouth, and some can feel more substantial. If a whisky has a very significant full-bodied mouthfeel I think someone could describe that as "chewy".

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I made Whisky gummie sweets, they were chewy whisky.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dnVJKfMFGA&t=26s

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Bolocko posted:

3. This is a bit off-topic, but there aren't really other spirits threads to field the inquiry: what are your favorite rums?

Pusser's is one of my favorites. I like Lemon Hart 151, and Wray and Nephew overproof as well. Pampero Anniversario is also nice. Rum is one of the best cocktail spirits out there, with so many options, and since different rums taste so different it leads to a lot of variety. The cocktail thread would be happy to help with more detail, too.

E - spelling

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Bolocko posted:

1. Have any of you had a whiskey bottle uncork itself? I bought some Templeton Rye a few days ago and put it on the cabinet shelf, then opened today to find the cork had popped out and was laying nearby. Temps have been holding around 80 degrees, maybe more or less in the cabinet. The rye still tastes okay, though seems to have lost a fair bit of its alcohol burn after sitting up there uncorked for however long and is a bit less interesting for it.

This happened to my bottle of Templeton Rye the last time it got warm here. I noticed that the cork didn't seem to fit very well to begin with, so maybe it's a problem with Templeton's bottling process. No other bottle in the cupboard was affected.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What do we think about Buffalo Trace? I remember a guy at my friend's birthday party saying it was really good, but I didn't try it since I was driving. There's a place in town that has it for $19 per 750ml, which seems like a pretty drat good price compared to everywhere else.

edit: This is also the place that has Evan Williams black for $20 per 1.75 and 6-packs of microbrews for $8.49 instead of $9.59 like everywhere else, so I think I may have found a go-to store.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
The standard Buffalo Trace is quite good, and well worth ~$19/750mL.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What do we think about Buffalo Trace? I remember a guy at my friend's birthday party saying it was really good, but I didn't try it since I was driving. There's a place in town that has it for $19 per 750ml...

BT is not one of my favorites but it is a very good bourbon for $19.

Mega Boris
Feb 21, 2001

Better luck next time, slugheads!
I just added myself to the waiting list at Astor Wines here in NYC for the fall release of the Pappy's. I am number 80 on the list.... they dont come out until October!

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Had a chance to try three different single malts tonight:

Glenfarclas 10 - Slightly smoky, remided me a lot of Highland Park 12 actually, except it was a little more bold and didn't have the sweet honey\heather notes. Tasty, but not very distinct. Drinking it was like "hum! That's a scotch all right!"

Wild Scotsman Glen Grant 12 - An independent bottling of Glen Grant. Very citrusy on the nose - a big hit of grapefruit. A really fantastic dram with slightly smoky notes, but very mild and sweet. Probably my favorite for the night.

Auchentoshan Three Wood - Very sweet on the nose, like caramel candy. In terms of taste, this was probably one of the sweetest I've ever had. The finish had unmistakable notes of vanilla and maple syrup. Very interesting. Something I'd buy to give to those who don't like scotch.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 19, 2012

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Over the last few days I've finished off a bottle of Hibiki 12. Very smooth and easy drinking. Great bottle too.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

wormil posted:

BT is not one of my favorites but it is a very good bourbon for $19.
Found it at another place for $18 while I was looking for 1783, so I ended up grabbing a bottle. According to this, it's hand-selected by the store from a certain barrel, not sure exactly what it means.

Honestly, I'm kind of used to a stronger middle flavor, is that the smoothness, or is it just kind of bland compared to other whiskey? The other stuff I've had is cheap evan williams and wild turkey 101, so I don't really know smooth.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Found it at another place for $18 while I was looking for 1783, so I ended up grabbing a bottle. According to this, it's hand-selected by the store from a certain barrel, not sure exactly what it means.

Honestly, I'm kind of used to a stronger middle flavor, is that the smoothness, or is it just kind of bland compared to other whiskey? The other stuff I've had is cheap evan williams and wild turkey 101, so I don't really know smooth.

Store "hand selections" generally means somebody picked a barrel from the distillery to sell exclusively through their store. Kind of like a single-barrel deal, I guess. I've been seeing it a lot more often.

Buffalo Trace, I've found, is a good, solid bourbon but nothing exciting. Wild Turkey is really hot with a big rye finish and is generally more interesting (I'm also biased, because its one of my favorites). I don't think you'll find anyone saying its a bad whiskey - it's just there.

Here's a video of some guys enjoying the thread favorite, Blanton's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biWqHoGU5R8

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 21, 2012

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Smooth to me means well balanced to the point where the alcohol (especially in a higher proof) is cancelled by other flavors. I consider WT101 very smooth; perhaps the smoothest American whiskey.

Oddly I didn't care for Evan Williams expressions (including single barrel) except for 1783 which I really like and believe to be an exceptional bourbon in it's price range (under $15). My biggest complaint about the EW line is that it tends to be sweet even for bourbon.

BT, I don't know, I'm happy to drink it but not enough to choose it over other bourbons. A couple years ago it was sold for $30 here (state liquor store) and it really didn't compete well in that price range. Then the price dropped to $21 and is now back up to $25. In those price ranges I'd much rather have an Elijah Craig 12 or Wild Turkey 101 which are less, or Russell's Reserve which is only a couple dollars more.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm interested in making whisk(e)y my usual drink what are some good blends around the JB mark (~$50 in NZD) that are fine drunk on the rocks or with some water? I'm asking because everyone I know drinks Canadian Club and while it is nice and easy to find I want some variety.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Inexpensive: Famous Grouse
More expensive: Compass Box Great King Street
Somewhat peaty, always available: Johnnie Walker Black Label

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have no idea about whisky prices in NZ so here are a few you can look for and hopefully they will fall within your budget:

-Black Bottle: this is THE Islay blend, truly excellent value.
-Black Grouse: A step up over the regular grouse with some nice smoke and peat.
-Té Bheagh: A blend from Skye, has some Talisker in there, very nice.

-Naked Grouse: Like regular grouse but just much, much more. It's got a lot of sherry and wood influence. Very tasty.

-Pig's Nose is supposedly pretty good but I haven't tried it.

Something else worth trying are the blended malts like Monkey Shoulder, Poit Dubh or Sheep dip.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
For something a little different I bought a bottle of Tap 357 Canadian Maple Rye Whisky. Maple syrup overwhelms both the nose and pallet and rye is deep in the background. The rye blend is 3-7 years old and my pallet tells me much closer to 3 than 7 which is a shame as the immature rye doesn't complement the maple well and leaves an alcoholic aftertaste on the back of the tongue. Tap is the sweetest whisk(e)y I've tasted, it's almost American Honey levels of sweet. A little water dulled the rich sweetness and helped the immature rye fade a little further into the background. I kinda like it but I suspect it will go over better as a mixer.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I am getting married on Sunday and I am getting my groomsmen a pair of Glencairn glasses. I would also like to get a special bottle of scotch for everyone to share. I was thinking of getting some cigars too.

None of us really drink Scotch, but I think we should all learn to appreciate it cause well... It's scotch. I am willing to spend 150 on a bottle. Can you guys recommend something for me? If you know a nice scotch cigar combo that would be even better!

Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Jewce posted:

I am getting married on Sunday and I am getting my groomsmen a pair of Glencairn glasses. I would also like to get a special bottle of scotch for everyone to share. I was thinking of getting some cigars too.

None of us really drink Scotch, but I think we should all learn to appreciate it cause well... It's scotch. I am willing to spend 150 on a bottle. Can you guys recommend something for me? If you know a nice scotch cigar combo that would be even better!

Cheers!
Are any ages/dates significant to you (born in the 80s or along those lines?)