Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

C-C-C-oval office posted:

A hair drier would damage my glorious locks, towel dry all the way. The hair dryer is purely for drying paint.

gently caress yeah, gotta keep my 70s hair shining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

They look very slightly better in real life than they do in the picture. Decided to start a Salamander army because they're sick. Meltagun is painted horribly, but I really don't know how to make it suck less. I'm pretty happy with what I've done. Meltagunner was my first, then left and right respectively.

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

Asphyxious posted:

Do you guys never need to dry your hair in a hurry or something?

I've been going bald since I was 16. Growing my hair out long enough to require a hair dryer just seems... Sad.

For content, I just ordered some Dragon Forge bases for my Spinespur stuff. I've heard great things about them, but anything I need to know?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
@hobocrunch
Hi! I like this stuff you did.

If they look better in real life than in the picture, then they must look pretty good, because they look pretty good in the picture!

The meltagun is missing something that you did on the wings and aquilas of the other guys; the little winged skull on the side needs that orange wash/shading treatment. Also, and this is my bias because I am currently in the thrall of CHAOS, but the melta cone should be drybrushed business-end first with some blue mixed with boltgun metal, and then some black, to indicate discoloration and soot from all the charred palm grease that incinerates every time he purges a heretic. Finally, you should consider painting the housing of the meltagun (just the squarish part with the winged skull on it) the same way you painted the cloth parts. These are my opinions about what you should do with the meltagun to make it pop more!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I finished a Silurid, but i'm not convinced by the colour scheme. Opinions on how to improve it?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I honestly think as a basic scheme that looks fine. If you didn't want to try freehanding or stippling some sort of pattern on there (which I'm not sure I would either) maybe you could add a contrasting highlight on the eyebrow ridges or something (or the fin spines) to add another colour and break things up a bit.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Maybe try countershading the belly or back with a glaze of a different color? A magenta shade would probably look good.

C-C-C-CUNT
Jun 16, 2005

SHOOTING OUT MY WARRIOR JUICE
Try working some warm orange into the recesses and push the highlights at the top of the model a bit more, at the moment the highlight at the foot is the same as the highlight at the head, so yeah, work the contrasts.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Got my barrels from China!

Here is my S-Tank converted to be a Valdor Tank Destroyer. Replaced the 105 Bofor's cannon with a 122mm Howitzer barrel at 1/35 scale.

I quite like it. To fit it in though, I had to do a bit of chopping through the plastic that houses the cannon to get this one to fit. I could have done it without the brass fittings, but I think they look nicer.

Now I just need another clamp part for the front (the original doesn't fit, unsurprisingly), a shroud to cover up my messy cutting at the front barrel port, and a stand in for a heavy stubber which will be affixed to the left hand side of the tank. Then it's time for painting!

I also received my 1/35 scale M134 minigun barrels. I was obviously misinformed about how big they would be, as they are *tiny*. Think I might put them back up on ebay as I don't think they are quite suitable for what I am after. Might look into making some myself so I can make some for Hydra mounts.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

These are my opinions about what you should do with the meltagun to make it pop more!

I'm going to look into charred effects and I'll see what I can do. I tried to avoid doing them because I've never done them before. Thanks for some ideas!

edit* It's mainly the base green. It's WarpStone glow and it has a very slightly metallic effect to it (or so it seems). For some reason whenever I take photos of it, it comes up darker than it is.

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 9, 2012

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

C-C-C-oval office posted:

Try working some warm orange into the recesses and push the highlights at the top of the model a bit more, at the moment the highlight at the foot is the same as the highlight at the head, so yeah, work the contrasts.

I struggle with oranges, i only have Blazing by GW and it's pretty poo poo. Do you suggest just putting thinned orange washes into the recesses then?

e: actually i think i have GW orange ink, but that might be a bit crazy.

C-C-C-CUNT
Jun 16, 2005

SHOOTING OUT MY WARRIOR JUICE

Lungboy posted:

I struggle with oranges, i only have Blazing by GW and it's pretty poo poo. Do you suggest just putting thinned orange washes into the recesses then?

e: actually i think i have GW orange ink, but that might be a bit crazy.

mix a little orange with your blue and make a glaze if you can, then, remove most of that from your brush and push it into the recesses, it should give it a lot more depth, and as they're contrasting colours, look really good.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
I've been painting historical stuff for a while so I've taken a break and worked on some Propa boyz instead:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Not gonna lie, those are some pretty dope orks.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I have been hunting around for a site that sells the main body section of screamers. Haven't been able to find any though. Any of you guys know where I could find some, or have any to sell?

Edit: I'm also looking for a site that will show me what colours schemes to paint up army pieces in. I don't play WH/40k so I've got no idea. I don't want to fork out for a GW book every time I paint something from another army though.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 10, 2012

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Agreeing with fix on those Orks. I really dig the big shoota. Where did you get all those goggled heads?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I just trawl the GW website when i'm looking for schemes. Admittedly it's not as good now they have removed 80% of their painting articles, but there are still a few up. That and I search cool mini or not for the unit name for inspiration. There is not much online 'base this colour, highlight this' stuff though, but go to the unofficial forums for the army you are looking at and trawl their modeling and army display section. If you see something you like PM the poster, most people are pretty cool and will tell you how they did stuff.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

The Dark Project posted:

Got my barrels from China!

Here is my S-Tank converted to be a Valdor Tank Destroyer. Replaced the 105 Bofor's cannon with a 122mm Howitzer barrel at 1/35 scale.

Yeesh, that's probably pretty huge compared to a Space Marine. I'd have to go smaller scale for super tricked-out autocannons on a dreadnought.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
I am so excited about the reaper kickstarter. I think having 200 extra miniatures will get me back into painting.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

dishwasherlove posted:

I just trawl the GW website when i'm looking for schemes. Admittedly it's not as good now they have removed 80% of their painting articles, but there are still a few up. That and I search cool mini or not for the unit name for inspiration. There is not much online 'base this colour, highlight this' stuff though, but go to the unofficial forums for the army you are looking at and trawl their modeling and army display section. If you see something you like PM the poster, most people are pretty cool and will tell you how they did stuff.

Not so much worried about how people did stuff as I am getting it right however I do it. I don't have room to store anything else so I want to sell what I do paint. Thus I need to make sure it will actually be usable in someone's army / wanted in someone's army.

This is why I've stuck to Chaos stuff so far - you can paint it any colours you please and people will use it regardless.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Looking good - do you have any new WIP pictures of the updated Battlesuits, or are you focussing on the dropship?

No major progress on the battlesuits at present. This is always the slow bit, the detailing. The Thunder God is about 80% complete, the Satria 75% (needs its arm finished) and the Constable is at 60%. Gotten busy with life for a bit so things will be slow over the next two weeks until it's a little more settled.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

No Pun Intended posted:

Agreeing with fix on those Orks. I really dig the big shoota. Where did you get all those goggled heads?

Thanks! The goggles are greenstuffed over regular Ork heads. Even with my appalling green stuff skills it was quite easy.

1. Thin 0.5-1mm sausage wrapped around head if there's no helmet.
2. Flatten into a strap.
3, Small 1mm balls placed over each eye.
4. Flatten into circles.
5. Indent the lenses slightly.

Some of them came out better than others but I'm pretty confident I can pump them out pretty quick.

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

UnintelligibleSmurf posted:

I am so excited about the reaper kickstarter. I think having 200 extra miniatures will get me back into painting.

I held out for a while but my birthday is on Sunday so gently caress it. Anyone keeping count of the number of minis in the vampire level so far?

I also backed sedition wars. I think I'm going to practice on the reapers, move to the wh40k/fantasy, then over to sedition wars.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Daedleh posted:

Propa boyz

I really like those! They're a simple scheme, and the red really makes them pop.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...

Sole.Sushi posted:

Yeesh, that's probably pretty huge compared to a Space Marine. I'd have to go smaller scale for super tricked-out autocannons on a dreadnought.

For a dreadnought, absolutely. 1/48 scale might be a better bet for you. Or alternatively a 1/35 scale weapon that's not so big. Like a turret mounted light weapon or the like.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

SatelliteCore posted:

I held out for a while but my birthday is on Sunday so gently caress it. Anyone keeping count of the number of minis in the vampire level so far?

They changed the image on the front page to include the extras to date. It's 106 minis for $100, including the recently added four transparent fire elementals.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
I think many people like myself that have bought the Ikea glass cabinet Detolf have felt cheated by the waste of shelf space when using it for miniatures. I decided to try and build some more shelves and it turned out pretty good.

I built two half-shelves.

And one full shelf.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
woops!

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Lungboy posted:

I finished a Silurid, but i'm not convinced by the colour scheme. Opinions on how to improve it?

Go lighter towards the limbs, but darker towards the back of the creature. The underbelly make an entirely different, lighter color. Like yellow, green, or white. Depending on how dark you make the blue, you might even go red.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I'm so happy to see that among all the figures good old Heroquest still has a spot on shelf.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

They changed the image on the front page to include the extras to date. It's 106 minis for $100, including the recently added four transparent fire elementals.

Honestly this poo poo is crazy, and I wish that I had $100 on hand to drop on the Vampire packet. That would be an awesome collection of unique miniatures to have. Even missing out on that bonanza, though, I'm looking forward to all these new figures rolling into production. Bones is a seriously awesome product.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Ashcans posted:

Honestly this poo poo is crazy, and I wish that I had $100 on hand to drop on the Vampire packet. That would be an awesome collection of unique miniatures to have. Even missing out on that bonanza, though, I'm looking forward to all these new figures rolling into production. Bones is a seriously awesome product.

As someone with an extremely passing interest in wargaming I've signed up for $150. Vampire level + Carry Case + 2 "Huge" Dragons + Massive Dragon.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Man, I don't even roleplay and this looks crazy cool. I am seriously tempted to jump on this. Does anyone have experience with the Bones line? How's the plastic quality?

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Man, I don't even roleplay and this looks crazy cool. I am seriously tempted to jump on this. Does anyone have experience with the Bones line? How's the plastic quality?

I'm buying it purely to have sat in a case ready for any fantasy board games I may buy (Descent, etc). <$1 per mini is unbelievable value, and with included shipping to Canada is a no brainer for me.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's pretty nice. Very bendy but springs back to shape so stuff like swords and spears will bend around but should be easy to fix and won't snap. It supposedly takes paint without primer but I haven't tested that. Oddly enough spray primer stayed tacky for days on it though.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

midge posted:

As someone with an extremely passing interest in wargaming I've signed up for $150. Vampire level + Carry Case + 2 "Huge" Dragons + Massive Dragon.

I am already in the habit of buying random reaper figures just when I want something kind of weird and different to paint. The only reason I am not like $500 into this kickstarter is that this month we're traveling to show off out son to his grandparents (and great-grandparents) and the budget was a little tight before that roadshow. My consolation is that this should mean there will be a ton of $1-3 figures for me to pick up in the future.

Seriously, though, if anyone has cash kicking around I would buy into this. If nothing else, give some minor pledge and pick up that carry case, you would get storage/transport for 100 figures for $30 shipped. Awesome.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I have a bunch of bones that I picked up at pax east earlier this year. They definitely do take paint without primer, and it's nice to be able to throw them around and have nothing happen. They do bend, but they snap right back over a couple of seconds. I love these drat things.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Nash posted:

I'm so happy to see that among all the figures good old Heroquest still has a spot on shelf.

Hell yeah, they need to get a spot after 20 odd years in the box.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Ashcans posted:

I am already in the habit of buying random reaper figures just when I want something kind of weird and different to paint. The only reason I am not like $500 into this kickstarter is that this month we're traveling to show off out son to his grandparents (and great-grandparents) and the budget was a little tight before that roadshow. My consolation is that this should mean there will be a ton of $1-3 figures for me to pick up in the future.

Seriously, though, if anyone has cash kicking around I would buy into this. If nothing else, give some minor pledge and pick up that carry case, you would get storage/transport for 100 figures for $30 shipped. Awesome.

That does look like an awesome deal, but I have never used Kickstarter before - how do you add that option to your pledge?

e: Cool stuff, thanks!
vvvvvvvvv

Giant Tourtiere fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Ye Worse User-name posted:

That does look like an awesome deal, but I have never used Kickstarter before - how do you add that option to your pledge?

Pick the level you want as a reward and add on extra.

So, for example I wanted Vampire Package($100) + Carry Case ($25) + The large Dragon ($10) + The two dragons ($15). So my total pledge is $150 with Vampire selected as reward.

When it's finished they will send a survey basically saying "So you have $50 left over, what do you want to use it on?".

• Locked thread