Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Paul Pot posted:

Muay Thai and K-1 aren't as comparable as most people think for 2 major reasons imo:

- MT is a gambler's sport, K-1 is a spectator sport.
- K-1 doesn't allow you to catch kicks and doesn't score kicks that are blocked by your arms. This leads to MT being a game of kicking & catching, while K-1 fights are usually fought in flurries.

The clinching game isn't that big of a factor because MT refs break them up after about 3 seconds anyway unless you're talking about the stupid 1 knee rule K-1 implemented in 2009(?). Glory went back to 3 seconds, which is ideal imo. Same with elbows being forbidden in K-1, in reality MT fighters don't throw a lot of elbows out of respect for each other.

Just saw this. K-1 allows you to catch as long as you immediately throw and hit. In fact, I'm pretty sure you're allowed one hit while holding onto the leg.

Clinch game is a huge differentiating factor between the two. Probably the biggest one. MT refs break it off really fast usually because one fighter knows that the other is better in the clinch and will go immediately into a stall. If that fighter goes into a stall quickly and too often, it will be counted against him. Otherwise, knees are the highest scoring strikes in MT matches and are what you always want to aim for. In addition, take downs from clinch are huge points.

MT fighters also throw a ton of elbows when the opening is there, I don't know what you're on about there. It's just that the defense against elbows is very high in clinch. Also elbows have nothing to do with respect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhwHe4W6K2Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
The one real capoeria guy I met was a super nice guy and could do some really neat acrobatics but couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag. He was really humble about it too though, so it was easy to get along with him. It's hard for me to imagine capoeria players who are dicks about it, but apparently they exist.

Metal Gear
Dec 10, 2006

This is SomethingAwful.com

Novum posted:

The one real capoeria guy I met was a super nice guy and could do some really neat acrobatics but couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag. He was really humble about it too though, so it was easy to get along with him. It's hard for me to imagine capoeria players who are dicks about it, but apparently they exist.

I'm sure there are dicks in every martial art. There's a Bujinkan place near me that told me they were TOO DEADLY TO SPAR! They've never tested this techniques against a person, but I guess they only need the five palm exploding Naruto touch to hit once, right?

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Dude you don't want to toy around with Naruto force. loving scary.

For real though I watched a capoeria guy spar with one of my instructors once...he had some neat spinning crescent kicks and neat feints and was fun to watch, but wasn't too hot on the defeating the opponent aspect. He liked to use the feet under the armpits mount escape (it never worked). He said it takes about 20 years to get a black belt or equivalent in capo and you have to be fluent in Portuguese to pass the belt test.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Guilty posted:

Just saw this. K-1 allows you to catch as long as you immediately throw and hit. In fact, I'm pretty sure you're allowed one hit while holding onto the leg.

Clinch game is a huge differentiating factor between the two. Probably the biggest one. MT refs break it off really fast usually because one fighter knows that the other is better in the clinch and will go immediately into a stall. If that fighter goes into a stall quickly and too often, it will be counted against him. Otherwise, knees are the highest scoring strikes in MT matches and are what you always want to aim for. In addition, take downs from clinch are huge points.

MT fighters also throw a ton of elbows when the opening is there, I don't know what you're on about there. It's just that the defense against elbows is very high in clinch. Also elbows have nothing to do with respect.

K-1 technically allows it, but only in its most gimped form which makes it less attractive. You're only allowed a single immediate technique following the catch & kicking out the supporting leg isn't scored because that's a "throw" afaik.

You're probably right about the MT stuff, it just looks to me like most fighters start going crazy with elbows after they've seen their opponent do it. Guess I've watched the wrong fights or not enough. You're right that MT fighters more actively seek the clinch because of the scoring system, but my point was that the execution is very similar to K-1 clinching. I still think the pacing is a bigger difference between the two styles.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Guilty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhwHe4W6K2Q

Jongsanan Fairtex is such a loving badass :hellyeah: the woodenman

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Paul Pot posted:

I still think the pacing is a bigger difference between the two styles.

Oh i see your point. Dunno. Clinch and pace are both arguably the biggest difference

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
So I recently moved cross country for a new job. I don't suppose any of you knuckleheads are in the Knoxville, TN area?

Gym 1
Gym 2
Gym 3

I'm leaning more towards the third gym because I need to work on my take downs and throws. I'm sure the GB place is good, but I feel like MMA gyms on average offer more take down practice.

The only thing that puts me off from the first gym is that it appears to be a one man band, and based on past experience this can easily lead to the instructor burning out...

Of course I need to make some phone calls and go in person to see what is really going on.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 11, 2012

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
I didn't see a word about throws in the 3rd link. I see some pictures of standup but that'd be like going to a judo school for groundwork. Looked like a good gym regardless.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

CivilDisobedience posted:

I didn't see a word about throws in the 3rd link. I see some pictures of standup but that'd be like going to a judo school for groundwork. Looked like a good gym regardless.

Hmmm, you're right. I think I got it mixed up with a different gym I was looking at elsewhere.

I'm not joining solely to improve my take downs/throws. Competing at least once in MMA is something I would like to attempt. However if I decide that I don't really care for it, then I'll probably stick with competitive grappling.

I've done BJJ for 3 years, and throws/takedowns are something I need to work on.
Ideally I would like to find a place that splits time 50/50 between throws/takedown practice and ground work.

From the previous posts in this thread, it seems like that it is quite rare for places doing BJJ. (There are no Judo schools conveniently located near me or places to practice wrestling that fit with my work schedule.)

Again, I think going to a place that trains MMA is the best way to pursue this. If I keep doing 'the usual' then my stand up will be as poor as everyone else's.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 11, 2012

BadgerKingX
Feb 20, 2011
I used to do Taekwondo for around a year but my hips deteriorated to a point where I can't kick anymore. The doctor has finally given me the go ahead to train again but has said no to Taekwondo and grapple type sports. By my house I found a Shao-Lin kempo school, i was wondering if anyone here knew too much about the martial art to tell me if it is worth a look into

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

BadgerKingX posted:

I used to do Taekwondo for around a year but my hips deteriorated to a point where I can't kick anymore. The doctor has finally given me the go ahead to train again but has said no to Taekwondo and grapple type sports. By my house I found a Shao-Lin kempo school, i was wondering if anyone here knew too much about the martial art to tell me if it is worth a look into

To be honest if you're not allowed to kick I'd just go with boxing...

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

niethan posted:

To be honest if you're not allowed to kick I'd just go with boxing...

Yeah boxing seems like the obvious choice here? Why kempo?

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
the instructors have kanji tattoos

BadgerKingX
Feb 20, 2011

Israfel posted:

Yeah boxing seems like the obvious choice here? Why kempo?

Because my job requires me to use my hands a lot and i was afraid of doing damage to them with Boxing. Another reason is because where i live there isn't a boxing gym that has a price in the range i'm able to afford. Kempo was close enough that it caught my interest.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
afraid of hurting my hands, doctor tells me I can't kick or grapple...telekinetic aikido here I come

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
Sounds to me like you need physiotherapy not a new martial art.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Our school had an in-house tournament this morning that was pretty cool. The affiliated schools and a few other friends were invited so we had an ok turnout.

Unfortunately I weighed in at a fatter-than-gently caress 178 and for white belts we had two divisions, over and under 175. I just did no-gi as I'm still rehabbing the broken wrist. Won my first match via triangle, then lost via arm triangle to a 215 pounder in a match that was actually winnable but I hosed up after he sprawled on me while going for a single leg and never got my poo poo back together.

I really wish I'd skipped a few cheese-burgers leading up to this, of the two guys in the finals for the lighter division I'm about even with the one that ended up winning, and typically beat the guy that ended up in second. Oh well.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

BadgerKingX posted:

Because my job requires me to use my hands a lot and i was afraid of doing damage to them with Boxing. Another reason is because where i live there isn't a boxing gym that has a price in the range i'm able to afford. Kempo was close enough that it caught my interest.

Tai Chi. Even old ladies can do it because it's so low impact, but it's still a decent workout and good for your body. Or telekinetic aikido. If neither of those are an option then do as you will, but kempo will still have kicks and some basic grappling iirc. Kempo is also a "hard" style and tends to be pretty high impact if the place is legit.

Also 178 lbs? Psh. Fatass. (not fat at all unless you're pixie sized)

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BadgerKingX posted:

If you're wrapping your hands properly (or at all) and not like doing some weird bareknuckled boxing poo poo or dumb poo poo like trying to punch heavy bags at full force and spraining your wrist I have no idea how you'd even come close to hurting your hands :confused:

It sure would beat trying to do some spirit bomb ki fart stuff

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

BadgerKingX posted:

The better the boxing gym the cheaper it is.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Paul Pot posted:

afraid of hurting my hands, doctor tells me I can't kick or grapple...telekinetic aikido here I come

Really sounds like he's trying to justify learning hadoken. Kinda like fat people claim it's genetics

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
boxing gyms are almost always cheaper than dirt, I'd be surprised if they are more expensive than any other option. Also you won't hurt yourself if you spend 30 minutes learning to properly wrap your hands.

BadgerKingX
Feb 20, 2011

Guilty posted:

Really sounds like he's trying to justify learning hadoken. Kinda like fat people claim it's genetics

As sweet as a hadoken would be i think i'll take the advice of the tread and search for a boxing gym within my budget.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Boxing doesn't hurt your hands. It will probably make your shoulders sore more than anything

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Oh man. I just got talked into signing up for a BJJ competition next week. Fortunately for me, there's a "beginner" division, which is for people with less than 6 months of training. I'm going to get my arse kicked so loving hard. It's going to be awesome and/or hilarious though.

I also have very little idea what to expect, and I'm a bit nervous. Everyone who's attended one of these things says it's an awesome friendly atmosphere, but I guess I won't know until I show up. My brother (who talked me into it), his friend, and some people from our gyms are going though, so I won't be alone.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

mewse posted:

Boxing doesn't hurt your hands. It will probably make your shoulders sore more than anything

After a few years of training I noticed some minor loss of fine motor control in my fingers. Basically unless I painted portraits on a grain of rice for a living, nothing that would ever impact me at all.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

mewse posted:

Look at this light punching sissy.

Edit: Seriously though if you do punch hard sometimes your knuckles will hurt this is when you adapt get puffier gloves and use discretion on throwing full power.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

AlphaDog posted:

Oh man. I just got talked into signing up for a BJJ competition next week. Fortunately for me, there's a "beginner" division, which is for people with less than 6 months of training. I'm going to get my arse kicked so loving hard. It's going to be awesome and/or hilarious though.

I also have very little idea what to expect, and I'm a bit nervous. Everyone who's attended one of these things says it's an awesome friendly atmosphere, but I guess I won't know until I show up. My brother (who talked me into it), his friend, and some people from our gyms are going though, so I won't be alone.

It's all beginners so everyone is probably going to be super cautious. I'd honestly suggest hyping yourself up and insisting on being first in going for that takedown.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

niethan posted:

It's all beginners so everyone is probably going to be super cautious. I'd honestly suggest hyping yourself up and insisting on being first in going for that takedown.

Disagree. Rewrote from my experience: It's all beginners so everyone is probably going to be super erratic and grappling like they're set on fire. There's going to be incidental illegal contacts, spasming attack patterns, and exhausted participants after the first round.

Be patient. Realize that whether you win or lose that it'll be a great learning experience for you and absorb as much as you can. Don't hesitate to tap if it's going to save you from injury. Just try and get comfortable with the nervousness and the adrenaline of the experience so you can apply that calmness to future competitions.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kumo Jr. posted:

Be patient. Realize that whether you win or lose that it'll be a great learning experience for you and absorb as much as you can. Don't hesitate to tap if it's going to save you from injury. Just try and get comfortable with the nervousness and the adrenaline of the experience so you can apply that calmness to future competitions.

That was pretty much my game plan, and also my reason for attending.

I will tap drat early since I've seen how beginners can gently caress up and hurt people. That said, my personal goal here is to not lose via submission - meaning avoiding the situation where it could occur not avoiding tapping once I'm clearly hosed.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

AlphaDog posted:

I will tap drat early since I've seen how beginners can gently caress up and hurt people. That said, my personal goal here is to not lose via submission - meaning avoiding the situation where it could occur not avoiding tapping once I'm clearly hosed.

Well jeez if you're gonna have the attitude of "well ONCE I'm clearly hosed" you're going to lose for sure.

GET PUMPED
:black101:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I meant that I'm not going to avoid tapping if it becomes clear that I need to. I'm going all out to win this poo poo once it starts. :black101: is for the morning of the comp (carpooling with 4 other fighters), until then I'm not really going to dwell on it because I'll just psyche myself out.

What's a good guideline for training this week? Comp's on Saturday. Go hard Wednesday night and then take it easy at training on Friday? I'll be talking to my coach about it, but it's always good to have more advice.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

AlphaDog posted:

I meant that I'm not going to avoid tapping if it becomes clear that I need to. I'm going all out to win this poo poo once it starts. :black101: is for the morning of the comp (carpooling with 4 other fighters), until then I'm not really going to dwell on it because I'll just psyche myself out.

What's a good guideline for training this week? Comp's on Saturday. Go hard Wednesday night and then take it easy at training on Friday? I'll be talking to my coach about it, but it's always good to have more advice.

I'd go easy Wednesday and not train at all on Friday

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

AlphaDog posted:

All your plans will go out the window if this is your first competition ever in anything. Your first match will probably be mostly a blur!

Don't train the day before and go easy the day before that. You can train normally the rest of the week. Just don't do something stupid like breaking your squat record 3 days before or anything that might leave you weak.

Also, make sure to bring some music/easy to digest food and stuff like that. You're in for a long, yet awesome, day

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 12, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Guilty posted:

I disagree with that. If a reasonable injury in a sport would have a big impact on your ability to make a living it is totally legit to take that into consideration when choosing whether to participate. In fact it would be stupid not to.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 12, 2012

Lectim
Jan 2, 2010

Cyphoderus posted:

The big difference is, while in BJJ you are encouraged to take less risks for efficiency matters more than style, capoeira does the opposite. It's like if in BJJ the cooler the submission you did, the more points you got. Cross-collar choke? Boring. Twisting kesa-gatame feint into a flying crucifix*? Now we're talking. Capoeira has no points or scoring or competitions, but what you are aiming for is the most skilful finishing move you can muster.
* I don't think these exist.

I'm pretty sure this would be the best way to start judging all martial art competitions.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

AlphaDog posted:

I understood what you meant. I recommend no weights or training up to 3 days before the competition, but you can run/do light cardio. If there's weight classes I recommend a bit of cardio to keep the weight down. Try not to be tentative in the competition. It's good to not worry about it until game time. Talk to your coaches, have a gameplan of attack, but also be in the moment ready to adjust. Good luck, have fun!

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kumo Jr. posted:

I understood what you meant. I recommend no weights or training up to 3 days before the competition, but you can run/do light cardio. If there's weight classes I recommend a bit of cardio to keep the weight down. Try not to be tentative in the competition. It's good to not worry about it until game time. Talk to your coaches, have a gameplan of attack, but also be in the moment ready to adjust. Good luck, have fun!

And a slick double-leg. From what I remember about my first white belt comp being sprawled on honestly wasn't a big deal because nobody spun to my back and I could sit out or just turn the corner in a worst case scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
yes, good wrestlers can win white belt divisions by just wrestling and avoiding easy submission opportunities for their opponent. Every championship white belt match looks like wrestling in a gi.

Then again, that might be a regional thing since we have a lot of wrestlers floating around.

• Locked thread