Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Dren posted:

What do you play on now? I used to be interested in a hitbox but I've been playing on stick so long now that I'm used to it.

TE stick, but I'm pretty sloppy with inputs and execution when doing fly/unfly combos and ROM loops. Since they aren't shipping X360 hitboxes until next month I'll see if I can do the TAC infinites and get better at Magneto on stick and if I can't I'll probably get a HB and learn it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Tonight:ducksiren:

Thursday August 9th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/wmtyvyzy3z

I might have some technical difficulties tonight but we'll see how that shapes out when we get to it.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I realized that the L button on my stick doesn't work correctly on PS3 so I probably won't play tonight unless people want to get the 360 tourney going again. Good luck everyone.

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.
I did just get P4A, but there's an online tournament this weekend, and I needz me some Marvel humbling.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
Can't play in this one, family visiting. :smith:

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

Can't play in this one, family visiting. :smith:

I thought I was your family :qq:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Looks like the PS3 participants are starting to die off with the 360 players.

xan!
Aug 17, 2004

by elpintogrande
marvel is dying

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Xanieth posted:

marvel is dying

I sure hope it's not. It's the only fighting game I actually watch tournaments of.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

People get bored of too much of the same thing. Hopefully P4A and skullgirls (when it gets patched) take off. P4A is also a hell of a good game, buy it.

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat
People didn't get bored of Marvel 2 for 10 years. And that game only had 4 characters!

Skullgirls will prolly take off when it gets released in Japan. But right now, it's not happening.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

BumbleChump posted:

Skullgirls will prolly take off when it gets released in Japan.

No way dude. I'll bet everything I own that game doesn't catch on for. poo poo. in Japan.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dangerdoom volvo posted:

No way dude. I'll bet everything I own that game doesn't catch on for. poo poo. in Japan.

Marvel-style games were never very popular there, and there's Persona now capturing everyone's attention, so I agree. Which is a pity, because it's a cool game. :-(

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
Dang it, I forgot what we all gather 'round for on Thursday evenings! :negative:

Ah well. I'm in drydock anyway until I figure out how to make my slightly altered team not suck when I play stick.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Results

http://challonge.com/psmgoons13
First Place: BumbleChump Spencer/Felicia/Shuma-Gorath
Second Place: ShikiDan Hulk/Dormammu/Sentinel
Third Place: NoMoneyDown Felicia/Hawkeye/Sentinel

P4u must be a good game huh? Anyways we went 3/5 this week do to a lower turnout not much to say other than that. Zexerous was nice enough to record this week http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA55CD172589B67A8&feature=mh_lolz

Next week Thursday August 16th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/v6wq6zqzez

See you there.

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 10, 2012

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
Matches are up on youtube. Nice little playlist for you. No commentary because I suck worst than skisonic at it.

The short matches are because of technical errors on my end, my apologies, or the PSN sucking on a big ball of cock.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA55CD172589B67A8&feature=mh_lolz

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.

Ybrik posted:

Third Place: NoMoneyDown Wesker/Dormmamu/Strider? I kinda forgot so yell at me and I'll edit in your correct team.

Felicia/Hawkeye/Sentinel. Thanks all the same. I had a good time, even if my internet wasn't up to perfection.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hey, quick question from someone that doesn't play this game: theoretically, I should be able, with Wolverine, to do LMMS jMH Drill Claw Dive Kick HS jHS call Wesker OTG HS jHS call Taskmaster arrows 3H H 623H Fatal Claw, right? I'm trying to figure out my max damage combos with him and those two assists. Hitstun deterioration hits like a bitch even after only one OTG, but I'm not sure if it's me being bad or this being impossible.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
After the second OTG they'll probably pop out if you do standing H. After the OTG assist try just launching then doing an immediate sj.S for the knockdown, then do the slide + assist ender. Getting three launches out of Wolverine is really tricky though.

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

So now that I'm getting used to playing on a stick, I decided to go and try the Mission mode again.

I cleared all of Nova's, Sentinel's and Iron Man's so far. What are the other fairly easy trials to do?

The main reason I'm doing this is so I can get used to playing on stick after playing on pad my entire life (this is also my first time doing anything as fast as marvel on a stick)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Dias posted:

Hey, quick question from someone that doesn't play this game: theoretically, I should be able, with Wolverine, to do LMMS jMH Drill Claw Dive Kick HS jHS call Wesker OTG HS jHS call Taskmaster arrows 3H H 623H Fatal Claw, right? I'm trying to figure out my max damage combos with him and those two assists. Hitstun deterioration hits like a bitch even after only one OTG, but I'm not sure if it's me being bad or this being impossible.

The regular BnB is two launches. With three launches you run out of hitstun.

LMHS j.MMH drill claw dive kick, HS j.MMHS assist + the 3M slide then finish with Berserker Barrage H into Fatal Claw or try the Tornado Claw loop (which is Tornado Claw L canceled into Fatal Claw, then looped into another Fatal Claw).

With Wesker gunshot assist you don't need to do Wolverine's 3M slide to OTG. You can just land, call gunshot and go into Tornado Claw. If you have trouble connecting the gunshot after landing try delaying your second air series a bit (wait until the latest possible time to start the j.MMHS).

The Tornado Claw xx Fatal Claw loop is preferable to Berserker Barrage H xx Fatal Claw because even if you don't loop it you can go for a reset or a snap instead of another rep of the loop. At any point, instead of doing another rep of Tornado Claw you can just hit with an s.L. They will air tech. You can jump and OS air throw/dive kick for a reset. If you want to snap you can do that too.

Wolverine standard BnB must be modified on Tron and maybe some other characters. If you're having trouble with drill claw dive kick not connecting it's because you need to get to drill claw dive kick earlier in your superjump. This means either starting your j.MMH as soon as you possibly can, or in the case of Tron, doing just H xx drill claw and omitting the M's entirely.

The standard BnB into Fatal Claw loop with 1 rep does something like 720k mashed. With 2 reps you get like 948k. Unless I realllly need to kill I usually go for the reset off of one rep or do a TAC into my second character and DHC back to Wolvie for more damage than Wolvie would do from looping Fatal Claw. If the character absolutely must die you have to pop XF.

WeakLad posted:

So now that I'm getting used to playing on a stick, I decided to go and try the Mission mode again.

I cleared all of Nova's, Sentinel's and Iron Man's so far. What are the other fairly easy trials to do?

The main reason I'm doing this is so I can get used to playing on stick after playing on pad my entire life (this is also my first time doing anything as fast as marvel on a stick)

Ryu's is pretty easy.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

WeakLad posted:

Are you talking about vanilla? Because Sentinel's mission 10 in Ultimate is the most bullshit artificially hard thing ever.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

The Rokstar posted:

Are you talking about vanilla? Because Sentinel's mission 10 in Ultimate is the most bullshit artificially hard thing ever.

Probably not since Nova wasn't in Vanilla.

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
I've been working on 480 missions recently, here are what I think about the missions (from what I've done, most ranked by missions 9 and 10)
Easy tier: Ryu, Hulk, She-Hulk, Nemesis, Frank, Spencer, Doctor Strange, Nova, Wesker, Arthur, Chris, Dante

Doable with a little effort tier: Storm, Thor, Felicia, Amaterasu, Haggar, Tron, Viewtiful Joe, Iron Man

Stupid bullshit tier: Super Skrull, X-23, Jill 10, Morrigan 10, C. Viper, Magneto 9, Firebrand 10

I haven't even attempted the other characters, but those are my thoughts so far. I've completed all of these except the bullshit tier, so I suggest them.

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

Glass Eater posted:

I've been working on 480 missions recently, here are what I think about the missions (from what I've done, most ranked by missions 9 and 10)
Easy tier: Ryu, Hulk, She-Hulk, Nemesis, Frank, Spencer, Doctor Strange, Nova, Wesker, Arthur, Chris, Dante

Doable with a little effort tier: Storm, Thor, Felicia, Amaterasu, Haggar, Tron, Viewtiful Joe, Iron Man

Stupid bullshit tier: Super Skrull, X-23, Jill 10, Morrigan 10, C. Viper, Magneto 9, Firebrand 10

I haven't even attempted the other characters, but those are my thoughts so far. I've completed all of these except the bullshit tier, so I suggest them.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

Hey Rokstar are you playing on pad or stick? I had trouble doing it on pad, but double tapping L right after fly was what helped me get my timing down. I did it once on pad, but it's SOOOO much easier on stick.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
From TRB:

P. Gorath vs. Fanatiq: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/328080392?t=58m20s
Worth watching just for P. Gorath's use of V. Joe's dodge canceled into Mach Speed in order to punish Magneto's tridashes with drones. Also worth watching for the gross Shuma DLC costume.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Glass Eater posted:

I just got the 480 achievement like 10 minutes ago and I agree with most of your list (I found Skrull 10 and Firebrand 10 easier than Joe 10/Storm 10, though) but in terms of easy trials almost all of the new Ultimate characters (with the exception of Strider) have super easy trials compared to most of the rest of the cast. The only one I didn't bother to do of those was Hiryu 10 and 119/120 is good enough for me.

If you're going for the achievement make sure you buy Jill and Shuma - it gives you a 20 trial buffer to skip the super tough ones. Also don't be afraid to use X-Factor on a trial that doesn't require it to help make inputs easier. In the case of ones where you need X-Factor, you can get a feel for how long it lasts and cheese out two X-factors in one combo. For example, Phoenix 10 needs X-Factor late in the combo but the Flare Sword -> TK Trap L timing is very tight. If you activate X-Factor and go into flight mode and start flying up, by the time you land you've got the perfect timing to take advantage of the increased speed to start the combo and get the TK Traps to land properly and it'll wear off before you need to pop it again for trial credit.

If you're still having trouble this is your best friend (turn annotations on)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyGIVp4CKpI

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Dias posted:

Marvel-style games were never very popular there, and there's Persona now capturing everyone's attention, so I agree. Which is a pity, because it's a cool game. :-(

I think announcing a bunch of changes that will have a pretty big effect on gameplay and then taking forever to release the patch was a huge gaff and might have put the axe into Skullgirls prematurely.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Skullgirls had a pretty good showing at one of the FRB JAPAN events a few months back. Despite not being released there or whatever, I think it had more entrants than SC5 and included Abegen and Kusoru.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Super Rad posted:

Probably not since Nova wasn't in Vanilla.
Oops, missed that somehow.

The hard part of Sentinel 10 isn't the fly part at the beginning, that's pretty standard, it's that crazy frame-perfect XFC you have to do from drones into rocket punch into the second half.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

The Rokstar posted:

Oops, missed that somehow.

The hard part of Sentinel 10 isn't the fly part at the beginning, that's pretty standard, it's that crazy frame-perfect XFC you have to do from drones into rocket punch into the second half.

If you buffer the rocket punch motion into your XFC you have a bit more leeway. It moreso comes down to not doing the flight input too late and being quick with the S-S-S portion.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I just played a few games of this with a friend earlier, and it was really fun. I gather it's a more casual fighting game, and relatively easier to get the basics for it.

So, how should I learn the basics? Just play practice until I can do every one of Deadpool's (or whoever else) moves?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Anatharon posted:

I just played a few games of this with a friend earlier, and it was really fun. I gather it's a more casual fighting game, and relatively easier to get the basics for it.

So, how should I learn the basics? Just play practice until I can do every one of Deadpool's (or whoever else) moves?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeGp29UPcEE

Watch Maximillian's Assist Me videos. He goes really in depth into character's moves and combos.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

TaurusOxford posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeGp29UPcEE

Watch Maximillian's Assist Me videos. He goes really in depth into character's moves and combos.

Does he cover Zero. Looking to link a friend to something to help him learn the basics, but I can't find an assist me that covers zero. His episode titles suck and I think search is useless because Zero is a number.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Zero is like one of the most execution heavy characters in the game, imho. He's definitely worth learning because he's unambiguously one of the best characters in the game but unless you're comfortable holding down a button the entire time you're playing and doing your combos I would not, personally, recommend for a new player to start playing with Zero.

Just look at this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WVwkqIxask

I mean, play who you want, but you should be realistic about your execution barriers if you're a new player. It will make the game a lot more fun for you in the beginning.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Zero is like one of the most execution heavy characters in the game, imho. He's definitely worth learning because he's unambiguously one of the best characters in the game but unless you're comfortable holding down a button the entire time you're playing and doing your combos I would not, personally, recommend for a new player to start playing with Zero.

Just look at this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WVwkqIxask

I mean, play who you want, but you should be realistic about your execution barriers if you're a new player. It will make the game a lot more fun for you in the beginning.

He's not new to fighters or Marvel. He wants to get serious with Zero. Looking for something that explains what moves are good in what situations, what mixups to run on incoming characters, what assists are good, and team building strategies. That kind of stuff.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

itskage posted:

Does he cover Zero. Looking to link a friend to something to help him learn the basics, but I can't find an assist me that covers zero. His episode titles suck and I think search is useless because Zero is a number.

You can't find an assist me that covers Zero because he hasn't done Zero yet obviously.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Would Assist Me even ever cover Zero? I mean, not to poo poo on Max (since that's already been done quite a bit here already) but I thought he did the footage for the videos himself and he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that has the execution to really do a Zero tutorial justice.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
"As you can see, Zero's mobility and versatility allows him to set up some pretty damaging near-infinites in the corner. Let me pull up a youtube of it, hold on."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
One of the local Manchester players, 'Goukifafa', plays a loving hideous beast of a Zero that pretty much habitually loops people to death with the lightning dash/buster chain. It's a local reccomendation, but it's quite a lot of fun to watch and learn anyway.

At work, so can't dig too much to find a good video, but here's an example of the loop: (The grey clears up after 30s or so)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYEBPoCg0Vs

• Locked thread