Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Hey guys, I'm looking for a game that has a lot of 'grinding' in it. I basically want a game I can just chill and mindless level up or collect loot/rares or whatever to help me relax after work. FF12 was fantastic for this, and I'm trying to find a good replacement without entering the dark world of MMOs. Disgaea games are good, but go a little too deep.

I don't even care what genre it is, if there's a great racing game that has a in depth progression system I'm all over it.

Bonus if it's PS2, PC, or PSP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Baldbeard posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a game that has a lot of 'grinding' in it. I basically want a game I can just chill and mindless level up or collect loot/rares or whatever to help me relax after work. FF12 was fantastic for this, and I'm trying to find a good replacement without entering the dark world of MMOs. Disgaea games are good, but go a little too deep.

I don't even care what genre it is, if there's a great racing game that has a in depth progression system I'm all over it.

I'm currently playing Persona 3 FES on the PS2 and it's pretty grindy. The battle system is also pretty good and the game is hard so it doesn't get boring. There's also Persona 4 which is an improvement in nearly all respects, not to say that 3 is in any way bad. I really liked the plot and characters of both games, they certainly felt better written than FF12 (in my opinion). It's a bonus if you like older-school JRPGs because the battle system is turn based, I don't really care for the MMO style direction JRPGs seem to be going with their battle systems lately. There's a lot of hours of gametime between the two.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 5, 2012

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I'm looking for a game like Myst. I'm not sure what genre this even is, maybe puzzle games? Something with lots of puzzles and horror is a big bonus.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Baldbeard posted:

Disgaea games are good, but go a little too deep.

Get Cladun X2 off PSN, it's an action RPG from NIS with both premade & random dungeons and involves leveling up loads of characters. You can also spend forever making custom sprites for them/their equipment too, if that's your thing.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Baldbeard posted:

Diablo 3 is exremely grindy with the bonus that when you're done with it you can sell your items for real money and walk away.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I'm looking for a recommendation for a good sport hunting or sport fishing game. I haven't really played anything on PC since the old Sierra days and Reel Fishing games on PS/PS2.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I'm looking for a game to play, and unfortunately WoW has sort of ruined most single player RPGs for me - I just couldn't get into games like Fallout, Skyrim, or Borderland since the whole quest system reminds me too much of WoW. Deus Ex: HR and Arkham Asylum were the only RPGs I could get through, but for some reason I couldn't get into Arkham City.

I like games like HL2, Bioshock, Portal, and indie ones like Binding of Isaac and Bastion. Is there a game that I should be playing?

PrivRyan
Aug 3, 2012

This rock smells like stone.

rawrr posted:

I'm looking for a game to play, and unfortunately WoW has sort of ruined most single player RPGs for me - I just couldn't get into games like Fallout, Skyrim, or Borderland since the whole quest system reminds me too much of WoW. Deus Ex: HR and Arkham Asylum were the only RPGs I could get through, but for some reason I couldn't get into Arkham City.

I like games like HL2, Bioshock, Portal, and indie ones like Binding of Isaac and Bastion. Is there a game that I should be playing?

From the sounds of it, anything but RPG titles would suit you.
If you want to delve into something different, try some roguelike games. Dungeons of Dredmor isn't too bad of a choice to start out with.

There's also Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. What an underrated game this is, and it's pretty much what I'll be getting back into once I get a new graphics card for my computer.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

rawrr posted:

Is there a game that I should be playing?

If you've not played it, Just Cause 2 is pretty much a must play. You mentioned Portal, so play Portal 2 if you haven't yet, it's really good.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

rawrr posted:

I think you'd really like Crysis 2, and maybe the Stalker games if you don't mind messing with mods.

Baldbeard posted:

Torchlight is the game for you. I think you get it free or something if you pre-order the sequel, too.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

rawrr posted:

What are you looking for exactly? An open-world non-rpg with guns? Just Cause 2 would indeed be up your alley if that's the case.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

Whale Cancer posted:

I'm looking for a game like Myst. I'm not sure what genre this even is, maybe puzzle games? Something with lots of puzzles and horror is a big bonus.

Sounds like Amnesia

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Whale Cancer posted:

The Dark Fall series is the same sort of first-person adventure game, but horror themed. Also check out Zork Nemesis and Zork Grand Inquisitor—both are good, but you may prefer Nemesis as it has some surprisingly dark bits. These are all on GOG.

There's also Scratches, which has an enjoyable story and some good scares, but the puzzles are so vague and poorly thought out that the game is basically unsolvable without a guide. If that's not a dealbreaker, it's worth a look.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 5, 2012

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

upperthorax posted:

Yeah, crap, it's been so long...like 11 years long.

I loved Earth, and it was one of the first PC games I played. Since I can't find my hard copy, I might capitalize on GOG's 2.99 offer.

I got the trilogy off the GoG sale. It's just as fun as it was when I first played it long ago. I would be into trying to get some multiplayer going if anyone else is interested.

I'm looking for a fantasy-themed city/civ management game. Something like fantasy Simcity. Battles/wars optional. I've played Majesty 2 and it was fun but too repetitive and with no space for customization, every mission went the same way. I've played Settlers and I really like them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think Warzone 2100 did the whole persistent campaign and customizable units thing better. If nothing else it didn't start with a mission that was nothing but sitting around waiting for a mine to empty.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

dis astranagant posted:

I think Warzone 2100 did the whole persistent campaign and customizable units thing better. If nothing else it didn't start with a mission that was nothing but sitting around waiting for a mine to empty.

It definitely gets better, plus tunneling is fun.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I'm looking for a 4x game set in space with turn based battles and nice graphics, but I can't afford Endless Space right now. Any suggestions?

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Baldbeard posted:

If you're willing to pick up a Wii, Xenoblade Chronicles sounds like it'd be up your alley. It's got a good story, but also has some nice grindy side quests, with wide-open areas to bum around.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Fooley posted:

I'm looking for a 4x game set in space with turn based battles and nice graphics, but I can't afford Endless Space right now. Any suggestions?

- There's Master of Orion 2, the old standby, but might be hard to run these days. Its graphics are old, but still look pretty good by virtue of being hand-drawn sprites and characters.

- There's Galactic Civilizations 2, which doesn't have turn-based battles, but it's an excellent 4x with really good (non-cheating!) AI and quite cheap at this point.

- There's Alpha Centauri, which isn't exactly a 4x, but it is a turn-based sci-fi strategy game, and routinely lauded as one of the best games of all time.

- There's Space Empires 4, which honestly has pretty dated graphics, but it does have turn-based battles and a really wide range of options for race creation.

Maybe one of those?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MOO2's on GOG for basically nothing and runs fine. Really a shame that the genre never really went anywhere from there.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Hey dudes, I'm looking for an action/RPG sort of game like S.T.A.L.K.E.R or New Vegas. Preferably something that's kind of open world and mission based with some inventory management type stuff. Any general suggestions?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

Hey dudes, I'm looking for an action/RPG sort of game like S.T.A.L.K.E.R or New Vegas. Preferably something that's kind of open world and mission based with some inventory management type stuff. Any general suggestions?

You might like Far Cry 2, although the hostile guards everywhere can get annoying after a bit. Both Deus Ex games have some pretty open ended levels and emphasize the rpg aspect. If you like those, definitely look into System Shock 2 as well. It's indoors (well, in two spaceships) but the levels are open ended and the game definitely encourages exploration.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

You could try Two Worlds and the Gothic series. Both are just janky, B-list Elder Scrolls games. Also Metro 2033, to a lesser extent... It's pretty much a reigned-in STALKER.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
I'm looking for a game with a good sense of progression, and a good driving narrative as well. I'm tired of RPGs where every enemy is scaled to your level so even though you're 20x more powerful than the start, so is the dire rat or whatever scaled enemy you're fighting. It doesn't have to be an RPG, but sense of progression and increase in power is a must. Preferably on PC, PS3, or iOS

Ideas?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The Baldur's Gate series has the best sense of progression I've ever seen. For the best overall experience I recommend starting with BG1 and working all the way through BG2 and then Throne of Bhaal.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Mzbundifund posted:

The Baldur's Gate series has the best sense of progression I've ever seen. For the best overall experience I recommend starting with BG1 and working all the way through BG2 and then Throne of Bhaal.

There's a remake of BG1 coming out for PC and iOS in about a month. Probably worth waiting.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Sorry, I should have mentioned that BG2 is one of my most played games pretty much ever. I've also been through PS:t and tried to get into the IWD and NWN series but they just don't grab me like BG. I've also played the fallout series (as well as the new ones) and can't bring myself to slog through the terribleness that is the gamebryo engine for another go at FO new vegas

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011
I don't usually go for sports games, but I had a lot of fun playing Pro Evolution Soccer on the Wii a few years back. Is there anything else like that, preferably for the PC (doesn't have to be soccer) where you get a more strategic control over you whole team rather than the traditional sports game where you control a single guy at a time?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I'm looking for a game where I can design a spaceship and then fly around in it/blow things up. I seem to recall one coming out recently but couldn't seem to find it on Steam.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Pikey posted:

I'm looking for a game with a good sense of progression, and a good driving narrative as well. I'm tired of RPGs where every enemy is scaled to your level so even though you're 20x more powerful than the start, so is the dire rat or whatever scaled enemy you're fighting. It doesn't have to be an RPG, but sense of progression and increase in power is a must. Preferably on PC, PS3, or iOS

Ideas?

Pikey posted:

Sorry, I should have mentioned that BG2 is one of my most played games pretty much ever. I've also been through PS:t and tried to get into the IWD and NWN series but they just don't grab me like BG. I've also played the fallout series (as well as the new ones) and can't bring myself to slog through the terribleness that is the gamebryo engine for another go at FO new vegas

How about Gothic series(just not 4th part, 2nd is best), or newer games of similar style - Risen?
You start a total wimp and can go almost anywhere from start, but get eaten by monsters much stronger than you if you do; then you level up and can smash them without much trouble. Two Worlds 1&2 also follows this pattern but it just isn't so good.
Also Witcher 1&2, except the fights still can murder you even in endgame, you get strong but stay fragile.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 9, 2012

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
Just brought my old pc out of the closet and got it up and running. Its a bit old; 2.0 ghz processer, radeon 9550 256mb card, 1 gig ram. I'm looking to play some flight simulators. Been having fun with original IL-2 Stouromvik, played a bit of X3 and loved the concept but hated the learning curve/utter boredom (as well as the heavy chugging in busy zones). I tried to download DCS world and get it going but it just boots up to a black screen.

So, my request boils down to a flight sim that:
1)can run on lovely hardware
2)downloadable
3)is interactive and realistically OCD as possible

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Pikey posted:

I'm looking for a game with a good sense of progression, and a good driving narrative as well.

Pyromancer posted:

You start a total wimp and can go almost anywhere from start, but get eaten by monsters much stronger than you if you do; then you level up and can smash them without much with slightly less trouble.

This is what Dark Souls is like, if you don't mind an action RPG that's more action than RPG and is more difficult than most games nowadays. It has the best sense of progression I've found in a game in a long time. It is exactly what 3D Castlevania should have been. The narrative may be slightly less driving than what you want, but it's a compelling, well-written plot nonetheless. It is mostly ancillary to the action though.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Could you recommend me a "RPG-style" driving game for the PC where you can race cars for money and use the cash to buy better parts and upgrades, et cetera? Back in the day I used to play the original Street Rod.. wonder if there's something more modern around. I've played NFS:U on PC and Gran Turismo 4 on PS2, they are in that vein.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

pigdog posted:

Could you recommend me a "RPG-style" driving game for the PC where you can race cars for money and use the cash to buy better parts and upgrades, et cetera? Back in the day I used to play the original Street Rod.. wonder if there's something more modern around. I've played NFS:U on PC and Gran Turismo 4 on PS2, they are in that vein.

I sure loved Street Rod. (and the sequel). Seconding this request.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

pigdog posted:

It's niche, but Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed was exactly this. You start in the 1950s and progress onward, buying, upgrading, repair, racing, etc. It also curiously has one of the best game soundtracks I've ever heard. The only, but major, downside is that it only has Porsche cars. Oh and it's probably dated at this point.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Been playing the original Crysis, I played it when it came out never finished it though. Loving the open island. Are there any games where your on a tropical island or just an island? I was thinking of the original Farcry, heard good things about that one, worth trying?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ulio posted:

Been playing the original Crysis, I played it when it came out never finished it though. Loving the open island. Are there any games where your on a tropical island or just an island? I was thinking of the original Farcry, heard good things about that one, worth trying?

Just Cause 2 a million times over. Go play Just Cause 2.

Comedy option: Trespasser https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93eNKNPjIFY

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

Just Cause 2 a million times over. Go play Just Cause 2.
Seriously, just do this.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Just Cause 2, no question about it. This is how amazing its islandiness is.

It's really almost tragic how overly ambitious Trespasser was, for its time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puma-rang
Oct 23, 2008
One of my most favorite games was Castelvania: Curse of Darkness for the original Xbox. It was a 3D metroidvania with a ton of weapons to find/craft as well as some Pokemon-lite monster raising, I loved the brawler aspects of the combat and exploration the most. I don't have a Playstation, but I think Dark Cloud 2 would be perfect for me. Does anyone know of similar games for the 360 or DS?

Here's a gameplay video if it helps anyone come up with something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Se0tX2nxxA