Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

keyframe posted:

Robot is not made anymore. Nowadays you have chips in guitars that autotune instantly with perfect intonation so robots mechanical setup is useless.

I can't vouch for this since I haven't used it yet but check out this if you are interested in robot: http://line6.com/guitars#jamestylervariax

Is there any reason why you need the special guitar to do all that though? Why wouldn't you be able to plug any guitar into a similar software modelling program and get the same kind of instrument modelling and tuning results?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

keyframe posted:

Robot is not made anymore. Nowadays you have chips in guitars that autotune instantly with perfect intonation so robots mechanical setup is useless.

I can't vouch for this since I haven't used it yet but check out this if you are interested in robot: http://line6.com/guitars#jamestylervariax

The Firebird X has robot tuners, I don't know if it's the same exact system or not.

I thought Variax guitars weren't actually tuning themselves, they just use internal modelling to change the signal. I can't imagine that's as good as actually being tuned correctly.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

TriggerHappy posted:

The Firebird X has robot tuners, I don't know if it's the same exact system or not.

I thought Variax guitars weren't actually tuning themselves, they just use internal modelling to change the signal. I can't imagine that's as good as actually being tuned correctly.

I have a hard time believing it too. Out of tune or bending the string? I'm sure the software knows!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Delta-Wye posted:

I have a hard time believing it too. Out of tune or bending the string? I'm sure the software knows!

Apparently it does (not a Variax specifically)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvVrqkgV72E

Doesn't seem like a stretch, when you 'tune' the guitar you play all the strings and press the magic button to get it all in tune, so at that point it's measuring how much each string is out and applying a certain amount of pitchshift by the looks of things. That doesn't seem too technically difficult, since it's not constantly analysing what you're playing.

Except that dude says it maintains correct intonation too, and I don't know if that's constantly checked or if it's corrected by a one-off test like the tuner thing. Only way to find out would be to try one! (And see if it sounds like crap in general)

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

TriggerHappy posted:

I would argue that it is way better than actual tuning. I would love to keep my guitar in half step down tuning but be able to play standard with it. It is much easier to solo in half step down :unsmith:

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Guitar wiring question that probably doesn't need its own thread:

The ground wiring to my jack on my Les Paul has broken free of the eyelet. I've already tried to repair the connection once with a short piece of wire spliced from the grounding mesh to the ground on the jack, but this meant the connection was always temperamental and tended to hum or buzz unless I wiggled the plug around.

I've decided to try and come up with a more permanent solution this time, and after digging around, have seen it suggested that a common repair to the ground wiring is to wire the ground to the outer case of one of the tone pots, rather than to try and fiddle around with the ground mesh on the hot lead.

My question is: will this work? If not, what's a better solution? The output wire is already pretty tight, so I can't really strip the insulation back to expose more mesh to try re-wiring the ground directly.

gigabyt
May 17, 2008
Thought I'd stop in and say hello to everyone. Been reading up a ton, purchased my first guitar about five days ago and waiting for it to be delivered ($350, MIM Strat). Went against popular opinion and bought straight from eBay. No guitar or music experience whatsoever but I'm really looking forward to it. Should be arriving sometime tomorrow. Only bad thing is I'm holding off on buying a guitar amp and using a bass amp that someone is loaning me until whenever.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Does anyone have any experience with an optical pickup?

How about 'buck parallel' wiring in a humbucker?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

gigabyt posted:

Thought I'd stop in and say hello to everyone. Been reading up a ton, purchased my first guitar about five days ago and waiting for it to be delivered ($350, MIM Strat). Went against popular opinion and bought straight from eBay. No guitar or music experience whatsoever but I'm really looking forward to it. Should be arriving sometime tomorrow. Only bad thing is I'm holding off on buying a guitar amp and using a bass amp that someone is loaning me until whenever.

Bass amp will work just fine. One of the most famous guitar amps of all time is actually a bass amp:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-vintage-reissue-59-bassman-ltd?src=3WWRWXGP

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
This is too funny not to share. Just like, last week, five or ten pages back in here, I was saying 'you know, everyone who winds up with a Vox DA5 winds up keeping it around. It's not as good as a tube, but it's 95% of the way.'

So... I read Premier Guitar, I look at the pretty things. Like Steve Vai's collection.
And I see his Wall o' Jems. And I look down. Dead center, on the wall, well-worn...
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2012/Aug/GALLERY_Inside_Steve_Vais_Harmony_Hut_Studio.aspx?Page=12&#gallery
Red Vox DA5. Six figures worth of guitar. $99 of practice amp.

It's the little things, you know?
(He also uses an Axe-FX II, and a lot of Vai branded stuff.)

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Man, Steve Vai has the UGLIEST guitars.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Koth posted:

Man, Steve Vai has the UGLIEST guitars.
Well he has no musical taste, it makes sense he would have terrible taste in guitars too.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

"Steve Vai's Ibanez Guitars
In the center of this group is Vai's 10th Anniversary DNA guitar, with his own blood swirled into the paint."

At least it's not neon green (OR IS IT)

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I like to think that Steve Vai is basically Kent Brockman with the HAIL ANTS sign behind him and he's just spent his entire life thinking how sweet it's gonna be when gigantic neon space ant overlords invade earth, take one look at him and name him king of their newly conquered planet.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

HollisBrown posted:

Well he has no musical taste, it makes sense he would have terrible taste in guitars too.

Hey buddy gently caress you.

Monkey grips are cool

You know, when you need to carry your guitar, as if you were some sort of chimp...

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
I got my electric guitar like two weeks ago and have just been a bum about learning chords. If I'd practiced every day since then I might be able to play a song right now, but I haven't been. What the hell's wrong with me?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

chiz posted:

I got my electric guitar like two weeks ago and have just been a bum about learning chords. If I'd practiced every day since then I might be able to play a song right now, but I haven't been. What the hell's wrong with me?

Umm...... Maybe you really don't want to learn as much as you thought you did? I don't know man, learning can be extremely frustrating in the beginning, keep a goal in mind at all times, keep your guitar out on a stand and visible. When you practice don't keep going if you're getting frustrated, it'll poison you against it, just put the guitar down and walk away for a few minutes or maybe a couple hours.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

chiz posted:

Um I think you're the only one that can answer it. Maybe it was just an impulse and you didn't want to learn as badly as you thought?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

chiz posted:

It's not a race, it's a journey. You have the rest of your life to learn how to play a sweet rear end blues solo.

More practically, that first few weeks of learning the guitar will feature a hell of a lot of finger pain and stretching.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

chiz posted:

Sounds right to me. Don't make it something you dislike. Take your own time. Hell, it took me six-seven months before I could play anything. I still won't admit I can play anything well.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Any guitar people in here want to help me out with a little identification on a guitar? After relatives die my family always has a little party where we go through all the deceased items and pick what we want. Among my loot from this particular get together was a guitar and a violin, both of questionable quality/value. Here are the photos I have of the only markings I can see which are inside. So do any of you have any clue what I have? Is it something a middle schooler made in shop class or something that was mass produced? Any help would be great!

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Steve Vai might have a wanky looking guitar, but he's not some kind of hack. His first professional gig was with Zappa. Not exactly your 40 year old uncle's classic rock band.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

CalvinDooglas posted:

Steve Vai might have a wanky looking guitar, but he's not some kind of hack. His first professional gig was with Zappa. Not exactly your 40 year old uncle's classic rock band.

I didn't say he was a bad player, I was merely implying that he creates emotionless, musical masturbation that only the biggest of music dorks can stand to listen to and his taste in guitars mirrors that.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
yeah it's just me being lazy, unemployment has done that to me.

I look at the thing lovingly and I want to just grab it and go through some lessons but then I slump on the couch and watch movies or dick around on the internet.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Well get that poo poo done or don't. Do what I did when I was unemployed: 1 hour of practice, 1 hour of job apps - repeat for 6-8 hours.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)

HollisBrown posted:

I didn't say he was a bad player, I was merely implying that he creates emotionless, musical masturbation that only the biggest of music dorks can stand to listen to and his taste in guitars mirrors that.

What a silly thing to say. Just because you don't like it or get it doesn't mean it's emotionless. The knee-jerk reaction to a fast player seems to be "but there's no soul man". The dude uses a huge range of dynamics, pitch modulation, and creative harmony to create some really touching music. Though I must admit that I find players such as Paul Gilbert to be a bit tiresome, you can't say that they play with nearly the same amount of expression as Vai.

I hesitate to post an example, because despite demonstrating these factors someone is bound to say "lol dude that's what I'm talking about", but here goes anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB51eJtfDFw&t=2m13s

Sure, he's often an over-the-top performer, but that's kind of the point. There's a self-aware comedic element to his playing that is really entertaining sometimes; dude's just pure 80's.

Does the fact that I got in a huff about this make me the biggest of musical dorks? Probably.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

The only thing I hate more than his fast stuff is his slow stuff, it's like if a robot tried to interpret the word "wistful". My thing is this, a song should be it's own entity that stands on it's own with or without a guitar solo. His music exists for no other reason than for him to take 5 minute solos on it and wouldn't stand alone as compositions.

I could do this pissing match all night, I'm just not into it man. He's good, way better than I'll ever be at anything (other than jerking off), but I just haaaaaate it.

Also it was mostly hyperbole in a vain attempt at humor. It's kinda my thing.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

ahahah he does shows with an orchestra. Of course he does. I don't know why I expected anything less from Steve Vai than the hubris of getting an orchestra to accompany him while he jerks off.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
After considering the well written opinions in this thread I have determined that some people like Steve Vai and that others do not.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
In honor of the Steve Vai derail I have tabbed out a finger exercise written by Steve. Use it at your own risk! Maybe you'll end up sounding like him (spooky!)
code:
1-2---3-----4------------------------------------
----1---2-----3-----4----------------------------
----------1-----2-----3-----4--------------------
------------------1-----2-----3-----4------------
--------------------------1-----2-----3---4------
----------------------------------1-----2---3--4-

---------------------------------4------3---2--1--
--------------------------4-----3-----2---1-------
------------------4-----3-----2-----1-------------
----------4-----3-----2-----1---------------------
----4---3-----2-----1-----------------------------
4-3---2-----1-------------------------------------
The goal of this exercise is to train your alternate picking. Focus on playing the exercise in groupings of 3. The fret number is also the finger you need to use for each note.

JD
Jan 11, 2003

The End posted:

Guitar wiring question that probably doesn't need its own thread:

The ground wiring to my jack on my Les Paul has broken free of the eyelet. I've already tried to repair the connection once with a short piece of wire spliced from the grounding mesh to the ground on the jack, but this meant the connection was always temperamental and tended to hum or buzz unless I wiggled the plug around.

I've decided to try and come up with a more permanent solution this time, and after digging around, have seen it suggested that a common repair to the ground wiring is to wire the ground to the outer case of one of the tone pots, rather than to try and fiddle around with the ground mesh on the hot lead.

My question is: will this work? If not, what's a better solution? The output wire is already pretty tight, so I can't really strip the insulation back to expose more mesh to try re-wiring the ground directly.

I'm a little confused but that should work fine. Why not just run a new hot wire and ground it with the shielding from that though?

I have a question for everyone else. Thanks to working 11 hour days lately, I only have 30 minutes to practice everyday. Anyone got any tips on making that short time effective? I usually do some scale exercises to warm up then just jam whatever songs I might be working on, but I think I need something more focused.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

JD posted:

I'm a little confused but that should work fine. Why not just run a new hot wire and ground it with the shielding from that though?

Thanks for responding. Hadn't gotten a response for a while so I went ahead and did it. Turns out it was the hot wire that had broken. Rather clevely I hadn't noticed until after finishing and noticing that the guit was still dead.

Stripped out the new wires, disconnected the jack, stripped back the main wire and just spliced in a couple new wires. Looks ugly but it works.

Replacing the whole hot wire would have been a huge PITA. It runs all the way to the pickup selector and is a shielded wire. Whilst a simpler job on paper, the local electronics store only had basic single shielded wires.

DIY sucks :/

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

chiz posted:

yeah it's just me being lazy, unemployment has done that to me.

I look at the thing lovingly and I want to just grab it and go through some lessons but then I slump on the couch and watch movies or dick around on the internet.

You can practice chord changes and playing exercises while you watch movies
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-112-1MinuteChanges.php
Even if you're just doing that without counting it'll train your muscle memory. Pick a chord sequence from a song you want to play, then just keep fretting them in order over and over

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

nrr posted:

ahahah he does shows with an orchestra. Of course he does. I don't know why I expected anything less from Steve Vai than the hubris of getting an orchestra to accompany him while he jerks off.

Literally jerking off on stage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AoHJd84aQ&t=362s

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 10, 2012

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wow, I didn't have anything against Steve Vai before, but now I do. It's like a bizarre Vegas act. When he started making whale songs? Jesus.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
You're all just jealous you aren't good enough to deserve a hair fan.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Manky posted:

Wow, I didn't have anything against Steve Vai before, but now I do. It's like a bizarre Vegas act. When he started making whale songs? Jesus.

Since pretty early on by the looks of things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMXlaMiRxDs&t=263s

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

In honor of the Steve Vai derail I have tabbed out a finger exercise written by Steve. Use it at your own risk! Maybe you'll end up sounding like him (spooky!)
code:
1-2---3-----4------------------------------------
----1---2-----3-----4----------------------------
----------1-----2-----3-----4--------------------
------------------1-----2-----3-----4------------
--------------------------1-----2-----3---4------
----------------------------------1-----2---3--4-

---------------------------------4------3---2--1--
--------------------------4-----3-----2---1-------
------------------4-----3-----2-----1-------------
----------4-----3-----2-----1---------------------
----4---3-----2-----1-----------------------------
4-3---2-----1-------------------------------------
The goal of this exercise is to train your alternate picking. Focus on playing the exercise in groupings of 3. The fret number is also the finger you need to use for each note.

Hah, I've been doing this exercise for years and didn't know it was a Steve creation, though it could be a coincidence. I pair it with an opposite fingering exercise too:

4-3---2-----1---------------
----4---3-----2-----1-------
----------4-----3-----2-----
------------------4-----3--- etc.
--------------------------4-
----------------------------

up to 5th or 9th position and back.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

baka kaba posted:

You can practice chord changes and playing exercises while you watch movies
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-112-1MinuteChanges.php
Even if you're just doing that without counting it'll train your muscle memory. Pick a chord sequence from a song you want to play, then just keep fretting them in order over and over

that's awesome, you're awesome. Thanks for the link baka.

And thanks for the encouragement also, guys. I'm learning E major and A minor. Every time I learn a new chord it's like "holy poo poo that sounds cool!" And I did it. Somehow. Heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So I've heard that Xaviere guitars are pretty good for the price. Does anyone have any opinions on the XV-560? There's one on clearance for around $120 shipped.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-560-Semi-Hollow-Carved-Solid-Maple-Top-Gloss-Black_p_4592.html

I do love semi-hollows and I do love P90s.