Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Ursus Veritas posted:

I've had it since at least April on the PC, I'd let episodes of No Reservations roll through when I was bored.

I hate you. I just got it today while watching Hell On Wheels. I am jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Can somebody recommend some good No Reservations episodes for someone that doesn't know anything about cooking? Looks like the QOTSA episode isn't up.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

origami posted:

Can somebody recommend some good No Reservations episodes for someone that doesn't know anything about cooking? Looks like the QOTSA episode isn't up.

For Actual Cooking, find the one where he goes back to his old shift at his old restaurant. It will give you a (shaky) idea of what it's like to work in a kitchen.

Also, any China or Vietnam cuisines are baller, but that's my taste, so just follow yours.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Is there any information out for when Parks and Recreation season 4 might be on Instant Streaming?

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Is there a way on the PS3 to make it remember your captioning/subtitle prefs? I like to keep them on and turning them on every single thing I watch is annoying. I'm pretty sure the Roku had an option to make them on by default or something like that.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

big business sloth posted:

For Actual Cooking, find the one where he goes back to his old shift at his old restaurant. It will give you a (shaky) idea of what it's like to work in a kitchen.

Sadly, I actually know what's it like to work in a kitchen (yet still know nothing about cooking). Gordon Ramsay's show where he goes into other people's kitchens and yells at them actually gives me near panic attacks.

I thought No Reservations was a show where he just chills out with celebrities or hangs out in weird locales and talks about food and weird stuff.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

origami posted:

Sadly, I actually know what's it like to work in a kitchen (yet still know nothing about cooking). Gordon Ramsay's show where he goes into other people's kitchens and yells at them actually gives me near panic attacks.

I thought No Reservations was a show where he just chills out with celebrities or hangs out in weird locales and talks about food and weird stuff.

oh yeah, sorry, that's just a weird one-off. Really though, maybe check some China eps or whatever happens to be really Foreign and Exotic to you.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
There's another show, or maybe the same one, where the guy just travels and eats crazy poo poo from around the world. Maybe that's Man Vs. Food that you're thinking of? Not on netflix though.

e; Before bed tonight should I watch The Signal or The Fall?

e2; Or Valhalla Rising?

RizieN fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 10, 2012

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

RizieN posted:

There's another show, or maybe the same one, where the guy just travels and eats crazy poo poo from around the world. Maybe that's Man Vs. Food that you're thinking of? Not on netflix though.

I believe you're thinking of Bizarre Foods (Andrew Zimmern) which has the original globetrotting version and now an America only one. Zimmern (sp?) isn't as much of a cool hipster as Bourdain, but he is game and will eat all the crazy crap wherever he's traveling, but he won't say it's good. I think his show used to be on instant watch but it doesn't look like it is right now.

It's not on the Instant Watch episodes, but the episode of No Reservations where Tony is at some Cajun pig-fest out in the country in Louisiana that starts with him shooting the pig and proceeds through people butchering it, making boudin out of the blood and preparing every other drat part while playing Zydeco music and drinking wine is pretty awesome and is a shining example of why it's such a great show.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 10, 2012

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

RizieN posted:

e2; Or Valhalla Rising?

The Signal is ok, never seen The Fall. Valhalla Rising is really good but it's also slow, so I'm not sure if you want to watch it before bed, lest you fall asleep during it.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Is there a way on the PS3 to make it remember your captioning/subtitle prefs? I like to keep them on and turning them on every single thing I watch is annoying. I'm pretty sure the Roku had an option to make them on by default or something like that.

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone on this. I loves my captioning, and I would love to make it the default.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

RizieN posted:

e2; Or Valhalla Rising?

The Fall is beautiful and pretty good. It reminds me of Pans Labyrinth.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Just want to say, I'm about 3/4 of the way through Warrior, and this loving movie is making me cry like a baby. It's been a loooong time since that's happened.

Nick Nolte is amazing.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 10, 2012

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
The Fall is gorgeous.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Gonna go with The Fall and watch Valhalla Rising another time with some people. Thanks guys.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

The Fall is gorgeous.

I assume this is the one from 2006 taking place in an infirmary? There are 3 "The Fall"s...

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Rad Valtar posted:

Is there any information out for when Parks and Recreation season 4 might be on Instant Streaming?

It's usually when the next season starts airing, so hopefully soon.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

RizieN posted:

Gonna go with The Fall and watch Valhalla Rising another time with some people. Thanks guys.

Make sure those people know what they are getting into. Valhalla Rising is a very slow movie, and my brother was very angry at me for putting it on (I really liked it though)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

Typically right before the next season starts. I couldn't wait so I signed up for a free Hulu + trial. You have to put up with commercials, but if you think you can watch the whole season in a week you can watch it for free.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

AFewBricksShy posted:

Make sure those people know what they are getting into. Valhalla Rising is a very slow movie, and my brother was very angry at me for putting it on (I really liked it though)

I loved every drawn out, silent, delirious moment. My wife didn't.

Black Death is good too if you like Valhalla Rising.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can someone recommend some good dark thriller or fantasy from Netflix? I'm currently watching Ink but it's too confusing from the first 20 minutes i've seen. Pretty spooky costumes though.

Is the Mothman prophecies worth looking at?

Kneel Before Zog fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 11, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I watched Drive again last night. I will never tire of that flick, just so good in so many ways. I love Albert Brooks as an evil bastard so much.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I believe there is an episode of No Reservations where he covers the basics of good cooking. Unfortunately it's not on Netflix right now, it seems. It's my favorite show, and this Netflix member wrote what is by far the best review I've ever read about the show;

quote:

Pleasantly intelligent and jaded new yorker gives thin cultural perspective and eats a lot of really awesome looking food, in places we cant afford to go.. Hopefully if any of us will get the chance to see all of what Bourdain has, we wont whine so much. Cheer up, Tony! Thats the good life!

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Can someone recommend some good dark thriller or fantasy from Netflix? I'm currently watching Ink but it's too confusing from the first 20 minutes i've seen. Pretty spooky costumes though.

I really like The Mothman Prophecies. Give it a shot.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kneel Before Zog posted:

It was mentioned many months back but I loved it, a foreign (Spanish?) film called Timecrimes. Kind of a psychological thriller/time travel flick. I enjoyed it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Kneel Before Zog posted:

In the thriller category I always like to recommend Antibodies, a really good German movie that has some really unfortunate cover art up on the site. It's got a bit of a Manhunter/Silence of the Lambs vibe to it. The movie is a kind of slow starter and takes a while to build momentum, but it's totally paid off in the last act.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Mahoning posted:

It was mentioned many months back but I loved it, a foreign (Spanish?) film called Timecrimes. Kind of a psychological thriller/time travel flick. I enjoyed it.

Timecrimes is awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Timecrimes is awesome.

Seconded, everyone go watch it before Hollywood makes a lovely english version.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Thriller: Watch the first two episodes of BBC's Prime Suspect:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Prime_Suspect/70157296?trkid=496624

Don't worry about the screwy way they have the episodes labeled. The earliest two available episodes are the first "season", it amounts to a 3 hour movie, essentially. An excellent three hour movie.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

I believe there is an episode of No Reservations where he covers the basics of good cooking. Unfortunately it's not on Netflix right now, it seems. It's my favorite show, and this Netflix member wrote what is by far the best review I've ever read about the show;

I love when he's exploring the city, hearing stories from locals, or criticizing the food or culture, but the retarded little skits they use to pad out the episodes are unbearable and prevent me from getting through the series. I wish they would just let him be crotchety and bitch about more stuff without adding stupid scripted poo poo that is extremely uninteresting.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Is Samurai Champloon any good? Its been sitting in my que for a while and I was thinking of giving it a watch if its good.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I somehow managed to avoid watching Drive until last night on netflix and I just wanted to mention what an utterly sublime film it is. If you're like me and you've been putting this one off for one reason or another, you no longer have a very good excuse not to watch it since it's on netflix streaming. And you will not regret it.

While I certainly liked the entire film, the first half hour (and the opening act even before the credits roll) are absolutely sublime. One of the best opening scenes I've ever seen in a film. It was funny because I was actually in a really impatient and irritable mood before I started watching the movie, and was actively prepared to give up on it, for some reason. But it just captivated me so much from the beginning that I totally forgot about all that in 5 minutes flat, and was just enjoying the movie.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
Hell On Wheels is loving amazing. I am loving it. Highly recommend.

Takes place in 1865, after Lincoln's death. The period is sort of in between "modern" America and the Old West. So far I like every character on the show despite their questionable motivations. We have a robber baron soaking up government subsidies, a semi-redeemed slave owner, two Irish immigrant, a Native American converted to Christianity, Common (the rapper), and big tall dude interested in math.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I noticed Netflix has done away with "holding" your account, so I guess that means no more saving your queue and preferences if you stop your service for a month or so?

Maybe they just combined "holding" and "cancelling", I just cancelled so I guess I'll find out. I'm going to be pretty pissed if they completely undo all of my ratings and my queue though.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

The Sisko posted:

Is Samurai Champloon any good? Its been sitting in my que for a while and I was thinking of giving it a watch if its good.

It's good for an anime, I guess?

Watched it when it was coming out, so It's been awhile.

The story was crap and there were a lot of Japanese culture references I only got because the subber put in onscreen notes all over the place.

I can remember the visual style being good and he music is all Nujabes and Fat Jon so that's great.

It picks up more near the end.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

kaworu posted:

I somehow managed to avoid watching Drive until last night on netflix and I just wanted to mention what an utterly sublime film it is. If you're like me and you've been putting this one off for one reason or another, you no longer have a very good excuse not to watch it since it's on netflix streaming. And you will not regret it.

Check out the director's other great flick "Bronson"

Tom Hardy is just amazing in it.

Rhyno posted:

Nacho Vigalondo's second film "Extraterrestrial" is premiering at Fantastic Fest this year, and it looks just as awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wj0aM8xbmM

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 11, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Rhyno posted:

They kinda did, it was called Triangle and it was pretty drat good. I personally didn't care for Timecrimes very much, I have weird taste sometimes. Triangle isn't on Netflix unfortunately.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

They kinda did, it was called Triangle and it was pretty drat good. I personally didn't care for Timecrimes very much, I have weird taste sometimes. Triangle isn't on Netflix unfortunately.

Triangle used to be on Netflix, and it's not even close to being a remake of Timecrimes. But it is good, and I'd recommend anyone looking for a good sci-fi horror movie to track it down and watch.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

They kinda did, it was called Triangle and it was pretty drat good. I personally didn't care for Timecrimes very much, I have weird taste sometimes.

For what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of Timecrimes either. Yeah, it's pretty intricate, but it sure would be nice if there was some writing beyond the expected "time paradox" stuff. Maybe a character or some dialog or something, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, Triangle and Time Crimes are barely similar at all aside form a little time looping. Both are excellent though and I've had a big crush on Melissa George for quite some time so there's that.

• Locked thread