Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cataphract posted:

Lysander wants a word

Well his pants are too fat to get into my office so he'll just have to waddle away, wont he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Cataphract posted:

Lysander wants a word

While he's better now with stubborn not being so hideous, and challenges and warlord rules making his beatstick status worthwhile while other rule changes making termies more desirable so he has an entourage, he doesn't give the army-wide boost that Vulkan does, who is also cheaper and has no trouble riding Rhinos/Razors.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Being the best vanilla marines character. :colbert:

Vanilla marines? Wait, Salamanders don't have their own rules anymore?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

drat that's a lot of CSM. I sent you an email.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Isn't he a blood angel? I mean, I don't know poo poo about anything and all you loyalists look alike when I'm counts-asing you, but I'M PRETTY SURE HE'S A VAMPIRE.

I think you are thinking of Lemartes. Lysander is the big yellow terminator armour dude.

Kashew posted:

Vanilla marines? Wait, Salamanders don't have their own rules anymore?

Nope. They get a hero entry in the Codex: Space Marines, along with Crimson Fists, White Scars and Raven Guard (and I think some others).

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 10, 2012

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.

kannonfodder posted:

Nope. They get a hero entry in the Codex: Space Marines, along with Crimson Fists, White Scars and Raven Guard (and I think some others).

Let's see, there's... Shrike (Raven Guard), Lysander (Imp Fists), Pedro (Crimson Fists), Vulkan (Slamanders), Khan (White Scars), and the plethora of smurfs. I believe four Ultramarines, not counting Telion and Chronus.

e: The lack of an Iron Hands Master of the Forge special character is kind of pissing me off.

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot
What's the best loadout for a SM bike squadron in 6th? Two meltaguns? Also how many models in the squad, assuming the commander is mounted on a bike? Advice for bike mounted (White Scars) army in general? Should the bike commander have a power sword and power fist and why?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

AgentF posted:

This is from a number of pages back, but these wings look amazing. What are the ways of getting them now that the models are a 3-pack?

Try and track down a single copy on ebay.

Mister Unfortunate
Aug 19, 2005
Do any of the third party manufacturers out there make good standins for Eldar Warlocks? I just did a trade for a great huge box of Eldar with only one Warlock, and I'd like to add some more for less than $12 each or whatever insane price GW wants this week.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Unfortunate posted:

Do any of the third party manufacturers out there make good standins for Eldar Warlocks? I just did a trade for a great huge box of Eldar with only one Warlock, and I'd like to add some more for less than $12 each or whatever insane price GW wants this week.

hth

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Nephilm posted:

While he's better now with stubborn not being so hideous, and challenges and warlord rules making his beatstick status worthwhile while other rule changes making termies more desirable so he has an entourage, he doesn't give the army-wide boost that Vulkan does, who is also cheaper and has no trouble riding Rhinos/Razors.

I think you could get some mileage sticking him in a unit of Sternguard in a drop pod. Lets them reroll special ammo, can sit out front to eat lots of wounds with a 2+ save and keep your comparatively fragile Sternguard from harm, and actually makes them a threat in CC, so they don't just get locked up or wiped out by an actual CC unit. That said, I'm not sure that tactic in general is the best in 6th, you'd certainly need to build a list around it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

But, y'know, ignore anything marked Finecast. It's a tosser's mirage.

*Looks knowingly at his pristine Finecast PA Njal*

:sigh:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

bhsman posted:

Look again: it's on fire now. :smug:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Your Njal is now diamonds!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

bhsman posted:

I've got a metal Njal, and two other metal terminator Librarians in a sock with your name on it, BHSman. If I could lift it I would strike you down.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I've got a metal Njal, and two other metal terminator Librarians in a sock with your name on it, BHSman. If I could lift it I would strike you down.

My Terminator Njal was pretty much perfect as well. :smith:

Logan Grimnar was flawless. :smithicide:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
So help me god, I will come at you like a clipped bit of brass rod.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thinking about some kind of Badab War themed army. Thoughts?

code:
+ HQ + (390pts)

* Captain Darnath Lysander (200pts) 
        (And They Shall Know no Fear, Bolster Defenses, Bolter Drill, Chapter Tactics, Combat Tactics, Eternal Warrior, Independent Character)

* Forgefather Vulkan He'Stan (190pts) 
        (And They Shall Know no Fear, Chapter Tactics, Combat Tactics, Independent Character)

+ Elites + (560pts)

* Dreadnought (125pts) 
        Twin-Linked Autocannon, Twin-Linked Autocannon

* Dreadnought (125pts) 
        Twin-Linked Autocannon, Twin-Linked Autocannon

* Sternguard Veteran Squad (310pts) 
        (And They Shall Know no Fear, Combat Squads, Combat Tactics)
        2x Meltagun
        * Drop Pod
            Storm Bolter
        * Space Marine Sergeant
            Boltgun, Power Weapon
        * Veteran
            Boltgun
        * Veteran
            Boltgun
        * Veteran
            Boltgun
        * Veteran
            Boltgun
        * Veteran
            Boltgun
        * Veteran
            Boltgun
        * Veteran
            Boltgun
        * Veteran
            Boltgun
        * Veteran
            Boltgun

+ Troops + (895pts)

* Tactical Squad (235pts) 
        Meltagun, Multi-Melta, Rhino (Repair, Tank), 9x Space Marine
        * Space Marine Sergeant
            Combi-Melta, Power Weapon

* Space Marine Sergeant

* Space Marine Sergeant

* Tactical Squad (190pts) 
        4x Space Marine
        * Razorback
            (Tank)
            Twin-Linked Assault Cannon
        * Space Marine Sergeant

+ Fast Attack + (155pts)

* Stormtalon Gunship (155pts) 
        Skyhammer missile launcher

Vulkan in the Razorback, Lysander in the drop pod.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It's not often that I wish this forum used sigs. Don't get me wrong, I'm still glad it doesn't, but this'd last me like two days, tops.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It it makes you feel any better the Arjac I picked up was real bad and will probably have to be cut to bits (literally) and Lukas's backpack is a bit thin where it attaches to the main model.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

kannonfodder posted:

Maaaan, if I had the money I'd buy that all in a heartbeat. Why are you selling it now, with a new CSM codex coming out in no time?

Im getting paid to sell it for a buddy of mine, he didnt care through what medium. He's switching to Dark Eldar.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

The Gate posted:

I think you could get some mileage sticking him in a unit of Sternguard in a drop pod. Lets them reroll special ammo, can sit out front to eat lots of wounds with a 2+ save and keep your comparatively fragile Sternguard from harm, and actually makes them a threat in CC, so they don't just get locked up or wiped out by an actual CC unit. That said, I'm not sure that tactic in general is the best in 6th, you'd certainly need to build a list around it.

This is how I used him before I learned to play the game.

Problems with this:
1. Drop pod lists don't work for marines. They have little incentive for it (they aren't particularly good at close range firefights) and actually hamper themselves by gearing up lists to make maximum use of drop pod assault since all the good sources for pods are in the elite slots. Tacticals (are bad) and want mobility, assault marines are just plain bad and vanilla devastators are poo poo.
2. Having it on its own means you just dropped a very expensive unit alone on the board, essentially unsupported, that will kill a vehicle or do good damage to a unit then promptly die. It doesn't matter if they have lizzie on board, they are going to die as explained by the next two points.
3. Lizzie is just one guy and since you're presumably dropping the pod near the enemy formation, it'll be at suicide range and therefore trivially easy to flank even if it didn't outright scatter to be sandwiched between enemy units. You have very little leeway on the positioning in such circumstances, meaning liz doesn't get to eat shots for the unit.
4. He doesn't make them a threat in CC. Here's how it works: a CC unit engages the sternguard, the enemy unit sargeant locks down Lysander by sacrificing itself while the rest chew the sternguard up. Then on your turn they remain locked and either they win against liz on his lonesome, or he wins and then he's left standing alone in the middle of the enemy army during their shooting phase. This last is a case where 6th combat rules really work against lysander's effectiveness.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Would there be any interest in a DA/Deathwing army? I haven't inventoried it yet, but it's something like 35-40 terminators, 30ish marines, 2 LRC, a dreadnaught, a vindicator, and I think like 6 ravenwing bikers.

I'll lay the army out this weekend and take picture for the SAmart thread, but I thought I'd gauge interest first.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
So I got my copy of IA:Aeronautica Really like the campaign stuff in the back and the rules for making your pilots stand out over the course of a campaign. I can't afford enough fliers to run a campaign with it but I can see incorporating some of it into my next campaign.

The Caestus is pricey but better in this book. For another 20 points on top of its hefty 275 it can get ceramite plating (ignores melta). It has extra armor now, which is cool - and it clarified that it can ram while zooming. But no real clarification on if it can ram flyers. Gonna chalk that up as a loss there - the rule book states flyers can't get rammed, this one is special because it can ram. There are rules in the campaign section for ramming other flyers, but none in the CAR's profile, oh well.

When it comes to the truly broken stuff - there is only one thing that stands out to me. The Hyperios Missile platform - you can get 4, at 35 pts a piece, per fast attack slot. And they are skyfire, twinlinked, missiles. 35 points for that is :psyduck:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Regular GW stuff has overpowered units, so that means that nothing Forgeworld has is broken.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Bavius posted:

When it comes to the truly broken stuff - there is only one thing that stands out to me. The Hyperios Missile platform - you can get 4, at 35 pts a piece, per fast attack slot. And they are skyfire, twinlinked, missiles. 35 points for that is :psyduck:

Aren't they automated turrets, so only fire at BS2? At least that's what they were in their last printing, before 6th.

Shosuro
Nov 30, 2007

Bavius posted:

So I got my copy of IA:Aeronautica
Curious about the Storm Eagle. Does it do anything fascinating, or is it just another flyer with different armament?

Shosuro
Nov 30, 2007

Bavius posted:

Not worried about it if they don't have Interceptor.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah, Ork Buggies with Skyfire and can't move aren't all that crazy. Especially when you can commandeer them yourself.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

kannonfodder posted:

Aren't they automated turrets, so only fire at BS2? At least that's what they were in their last printing, before 6th.

BS3, twinlinked with both skyfire and interceptor. Granted its only one shot per model. I didn't mean its going to break games, I think its a very powerful entry, but not unstoppable. It's an artillery piece with T6 and two wounds. It has a 3+ save and I don't really see why you would want long fangs over them, but that's okay because long fangs are heavy and these are fast.

The Storm Eagle has a better carrying capacity, the keen thing about it is that chaos gets one too - albeit without power of the machine spirit. I'd say its a decent gun platform with lascannons and options for melta. It has 4 HP and 12s all around so its one of the stronger vehicles available and cheaper than the Caestus. I don't know about the storm raven though - I couldn't say how they stack up side by side.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Nephilm posted:

4. He doesn't make them a threat in CC. Here's how it works: a CC unit engages the sternguard, the enemy unit sargeant locks down Lysander by sacrificing itself while the rest chew the sternguard up. Then on your turn they remain locked and either they win against liz on his lonesome, or he wins and then he's left standing alone in the middle of the enemy army during their shooting phase. This last is a case where 6th combat rules really work against lysander's effectiveness.

The getting locked with a sergeant thing isn't actually a thing. The wounds Lysander causes can still be allocated to the rest of the enemy squad - nothing prevents it, they just have to hit the Sergeant first. Or you could just accept with your own sergeant and avoid the issue entirely, which is much easier than convincing people who haven't already encountered the nuances of the challenge rules that they should probably play by them.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I just picked up a Finecast Lysander to replace the metal one and it is beautiful. Detail flawless, no flash, no holes. It is glorious.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

I don't know how much this is just staff promoting optimism but I was chatting to a guy I know quite well in my local GW who was complaining to me about Finecast as well but he mentioned that they're starting to use a different mix for Finecast stuff and have started to spin the molds like they used to for metal models so hopefully we'll see some improvements soon.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

bhsman posted:

My Terminator Njal was pretty much perfect as well. :smith:

Logan Grimnar was flawless. :smithicide:
So that's where all the good Finecast minis went.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Corrode posted:

I just picked up a Finecast Lysander to replace the metal one and it is beautiful. Detail flawless, no flash, no holes. It is glorious.

Don't tell me that, I have a metal Lydander that I was going to oath but know will be a cock to get ready.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
If you already have the model, why buy a second one just because it's Finecast? Finger fatigue from picking up the heavy pewter?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lysander is a fat chunk of metal and I had him mounted on a resin base which he was constantly breaking off of. I got sick of it and replaced him. I then sold on the metal to a buddy of mine for £10 so I upgraded to a nicer model which doesn't chip with better detail that was less of a pig to keep on his base for the sum total of £3.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

I was wondering how much the rules for the Eldar Nightwing have changed, I have Doom of Mymaera but I assume that in the new IA:Aeronautica book all the rules for the flyers have been updated. Does anyone have the book? It would suck if I have to buy a 29 pound book for just one model.
I was also looking at the Dark Eldar Razorwing as a proxy for the Nightwing, for the price of one Nightwing I can buy 2 Razorwings and convert them so they don't look as evilish as they do now. I think I read something about someone doing this but I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else?

Yesterday I finally managed to win my first game with Eldar, I was fighting a Space Marines list with Telion, Pedro Kantor, 2 units of Sternguard, about 15 scouts, 2 Stormtalons, 2 predators and a Thunderfire cannon. The battle was heavily against me all the time and the only thing that kept me going were my psychic powers, without them I would've been dead by turn 4. I've noticed that in every game so far, without psychic powers I die horribly. One thing my opponent has learned, anything within 15" of a unit of Wraithguard will die, even flyers :D

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Up until I got a jesus Haemonculus with a horribly miscast arm that should've been holding his hellraiser box, all my other finecast minis have been pretty much flawless.

Meanwhile my last experiences with metals had been a Crowe with a mangled backpack, several :pwn: looking Dark Reapers, and a Hellcannon which is probably fine except gently caress building that thing.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
So, I find myself looking at Space Wolves again (in white armour though because they look amazing then, natch) and wondering what best to Ally them with - I'd prefer to avoid more power armour to keep the variety up (maybe Grey Knights, they're probably different enough) and just wondered if anyone already knows any obvious power combinations that are particularly good?

I'd love to do Guard, and have Veterans like native Fenrisians, but no idea how to include the (obvious) Vendetta and make it look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Ho ho ho. Leaked release schedule including various The Hobbit sets.

Here

Space Marine Land Avenger :monocle:

• Locked thread