Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Barry Convex posted:

Morrison's Action Comics run will end with #16.
Beat me to posting it here, I'll just post my comments from the general DC thread.

This is a huge letdown. I would've thought Morrison would have had FAR more to say about Superman than only 16 issues worth, considering he always professed he was a much bigger fan of Superman than Batman, yet his Batman run lasted 5 years.

I really hope DC puts a top-tier writer on the title once he leaves. Definitely not another old-guard writer hamstrung by editorial, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solidrooster
Apr 8, 2009

Space_Butler posted:

Beat me to posting it here, I'll just post my comments from the general DC thread.

This is a huge letdown. I would've thought Morrison would have had FAR more to say about Superman than only 16 issues worth, considering he always professed he was a much bigger fan of Superman than Batman, yet his Batman run lasted 5 years.

I really hope DC puts a top-tier writer on the title once he leaves. Definitely not another old-guard writer hamstrung by editorial, that's for sure.

I totally agree. I thought he would be giving us a 5 year epic like Batman. I hope they don't start throwing in any editorial interference like they do on the Superman book.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Space_Butler posted:

Lemire's talking about some new projects hes got in the works at DC. With Sweet Tooth wrapping up, I'm willing to bet he's going to have the time for Superman. Would give it some interesting synergy considering his working relationship with Snyder who is on Batman.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 24, 2012

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
That's a real shame. It seemed like he was foreshadowing a lot of future storylines, the way the first few arcs of his Batman run set-up things that are still paying off now.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser
I can respect his decision to want to get into other things besides superhero comics, but I'm still sad to see him go.

But I do wonder if the Wonder Woman thing he mentioned is All-Star Wonder Woman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

horsepeen posted:

I can respect his decision to want to get into other things besides superhero comics, but I'm still sad to see him go.

But I do wonder if the Wonder Woman thing he mentioned is All-Star Wonder Woman.

All Star is dead. It's probably Earth One.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Newsarama made a list of their 10 candidates they'd like to see pick up writing duties on Action after Morrison leaves. The list is about 1/3 great, 1/3 awful, and 1/3 total fanboy choices, but isn't that how it always breaks down? That said, if DC could somehow wrangle Mark Waid over for a Superman run, I'd honestly buy 2 copies every month just to have a copy to throw at friends. But we're probably more likely to see Grant change his mind and announce he's staying on for 50 issues than for that to happen anytime soon.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
I would love to see Mark Waid writing Superman, but only if they gave him carte blanche to write the book the way he thinks he ought to.

I doubt this will happen with DC in the shape it's in - Bob Harras is not a man known for his light editorial touch - but it could happen. It does feel like there's a hole in the universe where a classic Mark Waid Superman run should be.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I already said it in the DC thread but Sholly Fisch has my vote of confidence. A lot of his backups are great, but the one that really sticks out for me was the one about the Kents trying to have a baby before they found Clark.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Magic Love Hose posted:

I would love to see Mark Waid writing Superman, but only if they gave him carte blanche to write the book the way he thinks he ought to.

I doubt this will happen with DC in the shape it's in - Bob Harras is not a man known for his light editorial touch - but it could happen. It does feel like there's a hole in the universe where a classic Mark Waid Superman run should be.

Didn't Perez say most of his job was rushing to edit his stories to keep in line with what world building Morry wasn't letting anyone in on?
If that's the example, they could use some tighter control.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Didn't Perez say most of his job was rushing to edit his stories to keep in line with what world building Morry wasn't letting anyone in on?
If that's the example, they could use some tighter control.

No, because that's not Morrison's job, it was the editors Perez was 'calling out' and quite rightfully so. They didn't seem to have any idea what was going on in their own titles despite putting some pretty severe restrictions on what he could and couldn't write.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Dan Didio posted:

No, because that's not Morrison's job, it was the editors Perez was 'calling out' and quite rightfully so. They didn't seem to have any idea what was going on in their own titles despite putting some pretty severe restrictions on what he could and couldn't write.
This is how I understand it as well. I also believe there's been no editorial changeover despite the reboot, so the same people that were in editorial during New Krypton/War of the Supermen/Grounded are still in charge now, which begs the question exactly what does an editor have to do to get fired at DC?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Space_Butler posted:

This is how I understand it as well. I also believe there's been no editorial changeover despite the reboot, so the same people that were in editorial during New Krypton/War of the Supermen/Grounded are still in charge now, which begs the question exactly what does an editor have to do to get fired at DC?

Allow a cartoon that makes fun of a former employee murdering a woman. That is what got Waid fired.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

bobkatt013 posted:

Allow a cartoon that makes fun of a former employee murdering a woman. That is what got Waid fired.

Whoa, you can't just leave it at that

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Some DC editorial / artist dude was accused of taking a hammer to his wife's skull.

At the end of some issue, there was a one-page cartoony thing that advocated the use of hammers to solve problems, with the guy's first name referenced.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FilthyImp posted:

Some DC editorial / artist dude was accused of taking a hammer to his wife's skull.

At the end of some issue, there was a one-page cartoony thing that advocated the use of hammers to solve problems, with the guy's first name referenced.

The artist was Greg Brooks if memory serves. The name dropped in that "ad" is Lee Travis, the name of the Crimson Avenger the book Brooks drew.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
So the Action Comics hardcover comes out tomorrow and I can't wait because now I'll have a solid book I can start shoving in my friends faces that I can force them to read. Fingers crossed that DC bothered to put the issues in order so that the Collector/origin arc goes straight through without the Legion interlude in the middle, instead of just reprinting them in the order in which they were published. Especially since that's the way Morrison intended the issues to come out in the first place before Rags fell behind on art.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Space_Butler posted:

Especially since that's the way Morrison intended the issues to come out in the first place before Rags fell behind on art.

Are you sure about that?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Lord Krangdar posted:

Are you sure about that?
Very much so. At last years Comic Con panel, when Morrison was starting out on his run he said that the first six issues was going to be the big origin arc set in the past, then there was going to be a couple issues where we "jumped ahead to the Superman of present-day having a team-up with the Legion of Super Heroes".

Cut to a few issues in, Rags is falling behind tremendously (I mean, by issue 2 there were a couple fill-in pages), and suddenly that idea for the follow-up story ended up becoming an interlude drawn by Andy Kubert while Rags got caught up. It ended up being a neat bit of unintentional nonlinear storytelling, but that's exactly what it was: unintentional.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space_Butler posted:

So the Action Comics hardcover comes out tomorrow and I can't wait because now I'll have a solid book I can start shoving in my friends faces that I can force them to read. Fingers crossed that DC bothered to put the issues in order so that the Collector/origin arc goes straight through without the Legion interlude in the middle, instead of just reprinting them in the order in which they were published. Especially since that's the way Morrison intended the issues to come out in the first place before Rags fell behind on art.

I think you're going to be please with the hardcover. The Legion interlude is collected after the main arc and the book ends with the backups.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I think you're going to be please with the hardcover. The Legion interlude is collected after the main arc and the book ends with the backups.
This just made my week. Thanks for the info.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space_Butler posted:

This just made my week. Thanks for the info.

No prob man, it was my most anticipated book this week so I was really curious to see how the final product looked.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
#12 was dense, but I really got a kick out of it, especially that crazy poo poo at the end with his landlady.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The next author had better be able to pick up what Grant is putting down with the last few pages of concepts. Id hate for the title to turn into a monthly fight and save people book now.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
That was insane. I can't wait for the annotations on THAT one.

So the Little Man is NOT Myxy, but might be something far worse because he managed to hurt Myxy, who is an ally of Mrs Nxly. That was unexpected. And I loved Superman pulling the classic read-every-book-on-a-subject-in-10-seconds-and-now-I'm-amazing-at-it trick from the silver age. I really am dreading what's going to happen to this book once Grant leaves.

Also, they really should give Rags the boot and put Cafu as the primary artist, his pages were pretty great looking.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 2, 2012

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Just a reminder that the big Kryptonian super-equation was called the EOEO, which is vowels, which the 5th Dimensionals don't have.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
I'm amazed that Grant Morrison got away with referencing the marriage. I wonder if the old universe is as dead as we think it is.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Magic Love Hose posted:

I'm amazed that Grant Morrison got away with referencing the marriage. I wonder if the old universe is as dead as we think it is.

I'm sure it's a logical fantasy future for him to be trapped in.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 2, 2012

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

d00gZ posted:

Just a reminder that the big Kryptonian super-equation was called the EOEO, which is vowels, which the 5th Dimensionals don't have.
:aaaaa:

Everything is beginning to line up now as we're nearing the end. The multitude that Jor-El fought off was probably some kind of invasion from the 5th dimension, and he repelled them using the EOEO, which is probably why the little man is trying to screw with him so badly. I have absolutely no idea how he'll be able to wrap all this up in 4 issues, but I can't wait.

Side note: upon re-reading issue 12, I noticed that when Batman put his arm around Clark, he planted a bat-tracer on him.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 6, 2012

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Space_Butler posted:

:aaaaa:

Everything is beginning to line up now as we're nearing the end. The multitude that Jor-El fought off was probably some kind of invasion from the 5th dimension, and he repelled them using the EOEO, which is probably why the little man is trying to screw with him so badly. I have absolutely no idea how he'll be able to wrap all this up in 4 issues, but I can't wait.

Oh man, I didn't even put THAT together! Bam!

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
In the DC books this week they were running ads for the upcoming annuals and I noticed something weird: it says that Annual #1 is written by Scott Lobdell. I thought to myself "I could've sworn that the vanilla annual book was written by Giffen", so I checked. It was.

DC Comics posted:

SUPERMAN ANNUAL #1
Written by KEITH GIFFEN
Art by CAFU and others
Cover by TYLER KIRKHAM and BATT
On sale AUGUST 29 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T
• Abducted by a group of mysterious aliens, Superman is dragged to a remote alien galaxy to take part in THE GAMES, a world hopping game of cat-and-mouse where players are hunted for sport.
• Can even the help of a mysterious new GREEN LANTERN overcome the might of an alien empire?

However, proving once more that DC editorial has no plans/goals/ideas for Superman, apparently they decided to throw all that out to get Lobdell started a month sooner.

Newsarama posted:

SUPERMAN ANNUAL #1 now features a story written by Scott Lobdell and Fabian Nicieza and art by Pascal Alixe, Marco Rudy, Tom Raney, Elizabeth Torque, Mico Suayan.
5 artists for one annual? Talk about a really last-minute change.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Fabian's out of nowhere. Maybe he's the new Action author.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Crossover for Superman/Girl/Boy (and not Action) in #14s
Features a grey skinned antagonist wearing a backwards 'S' symbol... :raise:

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/08/10/announcing-hel-on-earth posted:

This fall, there will be an electrifying crossover occurring in SUPERMAN, SUPERBOY and SUPERGIRL. Spanning across all the series’ #14 issues, “H’el on Earth” will put these super-beings into battle with the maniacal alien, H’el.

Written by Tom DeFalco and featuring art by R.B. Silva and Rob Lean, SUPERBOY #14 guest stars Supergirl and the Teen Titans. Fresh from the events of SUPERMAN #13, Superman’s deadliest new foe comes after Kon-El!

Picking up right there, Supergirl too meets the villainous H’el. But what happens when Kara finds herself agreeing with his pro-Krypton/anti-Earth plans? SUPERGIRL #14 is written by Mike Johnson and illustrated by Mahmud Asrar.

And in SUPERMAN #14, written by Scott Lobdell and illustrateed by Kenneth Rocafort, the Man of Steel himself will be forced to come face to face with the gang’s worst nightmare: a creature of unknown Kryptonian origin who is not only more powerful than Superman, but is also smarter than Supergirl and more lethal than Superboy. How will Superman combat a threat of this magnitude? We don’t want to spoil anything so all we can say for now is that his actions will change the course of a planet’s fate!

at the end Superman discovers the villain was talking in opposites and it was all a misunderstanding.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 10, 2012

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
This interview with Lobdell highlights how useless and terrible editorial is.

quote:

In a "this is how sausage is made" kind of way that I would only share with my friends on Comicvine... when I wrote the original proposal I was focused on updating Superman's roster of villains because I felt that ACTION had gotten to play around with The Classics, that it was time for SUPERMAN to be able to play with some of the characters that Grant hadn't re-imagined for the New 52. Kenneth and I worked up one particular character...

... and gave him a horror based origin that even left me unnerved, and I was writing! Kenneth came up with this haunting visual, it is disturbing to look at when you realize what it is. So many people who read the proposal would call or reply through email and say "Oh my god! I can't want to see this...!"

Then, when I turned in the first few plots, there was a debate going on: Is this a new character? Or is this a new take on a classic character? I'll be honest, because I like you people, we are about three months from printing and the debate is still going on. I can see both points very clearly, and I think Kenneth and I will be happy whatever is decided.
The article notes that this interview was done prior to today's reveal, so he more than likely is talking about this character. It sounds like Lobdell tried re-imagining Bizarro, and when he handed the script into his editors they're trying to decide if this IS the new 52 version of Bizarro, or if they want to make him a separate character so they can add real Bizarro later. They can't even think 3 months in advance!

Edit: This reminds me of the clusterfuck involving Zod in post-crisis. Namely the number of times that DC said "oh that wasnt THE Zod it was just A Zod".

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 10, 2012

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Crossover for Superman/Girl/Boy (and not Action) in #14s
Features a grey skinned antagonist wearing a backwards 'S' symbol... :raise:

at the end Superman discovers the villain was talking in opposites and it was all a misunderstanding.

Oh how I hope this is some kind of return of Superboy Prime, only Flashpoint made him temporarily retarded until that part of him heals up and just starts smugly wrecking poo poo up knowing that the universe shifted all because of Barry Allen.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Space_Butler posted:

This interview with Lobdell highlights how useless and terrible editorial is.

The article notes that this interview was done prior to today's reveal, so he more than likely is talking about this character. It sounds like Lobdell tried re-imagining Bizarro, and when he handed the script into his editors they're trying to decide if this IS the new 52 version of Bizarro, or if they want to make him a separate character so they can add real Bizarro later. They can't even think 3 months in advance!

Edit: This reminds me of the clusterfuck involving Zod in post-crisis. Namely the number of times that DC said "oh that wasnt THE Zod it was just A Zod".

Hopefully they decide it isn't Bizarro because that design looks dumb as all hell.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
That design looks like some Elseworlds Castlevania Superman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not really sure which is a stupider idea.

Redesigning Bizzaro to be more serious and with a S carved into his flesh or creating a new antagonist who is a grey-skinned anti-Superman but having it not be Bizzaro but rather Original the Character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I'm sure this character/interpretation will enjoy a long and interesting life and not be totally useless and forgotten like Lobdell's villain for that Teen Titans/Legion crossover whose name I can't even remember.

• Locked thread