Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Stratafyre posted:

Bubblegum Tank Police in the Shell - Let's Play Oni!

Developer: Bungie
Publisher: Rockstar Games
Platform:PS2, Windows PC

Not to be THAT guy, but it was also released for Mac the same time as Windows. Also, a couple of different publishers for the different platforms. If I remember right, Rockstar was only for the PS2 port.

Edit: And now that I've seen the video, looks great.

Explosionface fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

Paingod556 posted:

I know all about this game, and DEMAND you use this title.
Seconding this opinion so much. Also, gave the video a look and as someone who has wanted to see a video LP of Oni for a while, I wasn't disappointed with anything, and especially liked that you gave the voice acting its time to shine. To be fair, though, I'm pretty easy to satisfy.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Stratafyre posted:

Looks good to me, I don't see any problems. You sure like your bloodthirsty female leads, huh.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Stratafyre posted:

I love Oni, and it's great to see this. I was thinking of doing one then realised I had no time to do so. I was just gonna go with "Can't Top Tanker" for a title. Anyway:

Any chance of recording in widescreen? It should be pretty easy to sort out - it's a part of Daodan.dll so I imagine that's in AE maybe? I don't remember there really being any downside.

Also, you use a jumping side spin kick at ~4:18 and ~8:10, which IIRC you shouldn't have access to yet (I think you get it on like level 10). I assume AE unlocks all the moves and you're just generally being careful to not use them?

(edit and I assume that there's no real time to talk about the other hypo mechanics/they would be in the tutorial video or posted about or something I dunno)

Quaternion Cat fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 10, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Stratafyre posted:

OH MY GOD YES :hawaaaafap: N'thing the demand for that title, and you have my thanks for giving this vastly underrated game a fair go.

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

:stare: :supaburn: :j:

Mastigophoran posted:

Any chance of recording in widescreen? It should be pretty easy to sort out - it's a part of Daodan.dll so I imagine that's in AE maybe? I don't remember there really being any downside.

I should be able to, sure. The Anniversary Edition gives a ton of resolution options, I was just using the first that didn't chug when I kicked Fraps on.

Mastigophoran posted:

Also, you use a jumping side spin kick at ~4:18 and ~8:10, which IIRC you shouldn't have access to yet (I think you get it on like level 10). I assume AE unlocks all the moves and you're just generally being careful to not use them?

I'm not sure if it's an AE thing or not, but there are a few attacks that are locked until you "learn" them, and a few that are open so long as you know how to use them. Rising Fury/Devil Spin Kick are locked, but the spinning side kick isn't. It's odd.

It sounds like people generally like the video, so as soon as I'm finished mooring the ship in Texas, I'll get it all set up in a thread!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Paingod556 posted:

I know all about this game, and DEMAND you use this title.

I know some about this game, and I demand the same thing.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Stratafyre posted:

Something Something that title.

Graumail
Jan 2, 2008

Hey, It's Grau!
:cool:

Stratafyre posted:

Pretty sure I got this game from a local supermarket when they decided to no longer sell computer games (got Final Fantasy 7 at the same time for $4) and I never played it, bought it solely for the box art.

Video (widescreen request noted) looks pretty drat good to me and I enjoyed the laid back commentary. Keep up the awesome work!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Stratafyre posted:

Your commentary audio is really muted and doesn't have a really natural "roundness" at the edges. Either your microphone is really cheap, or you've really overproduced your commentary audio when processing it. Possibly by overcompressing or by going too aggressive with noise reduction.

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

Zorak posted:

Your commentary audio is really muted and doesn't have a really natural "roundness" at the edges. Either your microphone is really cheap, or you've really overproduced your commentary audio when processing it. Possibly by overcompressing or by going too aggressive with noise reduction.

Yeah, it's the last bit. The initial audio has a nice, loud sound of the ship's engine and ventilation system in the background. I'm not sure how to get rid of it without clipping the audio.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Stratafyre posted:

Yeah, it's the last bit. The initial audio has a nice, loud sound of the ship's engine and ventilation system in the background. I'm not sure how to get rid of it without clipping the audio.

Just in case you didn't know how noise removal works, what you do is you highlight a part of the audio where you aren't talking and click "Get Noise Profile." You can then highlight the full audio track and Noise Removal will only get rid of background noise.

If you already know that and you're having this problem, then the only thing you can really do is to lower your microphone's sensitivity.

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

If you already know that and you're having this problem, then the only thing you can really do is to lower your microphone's sensitivity.

The sensitivity is definitely too high with my microphone, I'll see if I can get it down to a more manageable degree, I was picking up excess sounds even when I was recording at home, Noise Reduction just ate a lot less of my actual voice there.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

Stratafyre posted:

Nth'ing this title request.

And while I'm posting title requests:

Any LP of Jade Empire MUST, of course, be titled Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Tax Refund posted:

Nth'ing this title request.

I feel I should point out that he posted the thread or this'll just keep going.

Re: Jade Empire, use jpgs, certainly not 100 quality but 90 should be fine. I'd say the errors on 85 are small enough to not matter much so if you're clinically short on bandwidth I guess that works, but that would be weird and strange. I'd personally rather keep the bloom but I suggest go with what you like to look at and not what random mooks in the Sandcastle like to look at on that one.

I also tried to check if someone modded the font for the game because dear god it needs it. Alas, nope. Apparently they use some fun XBox SDK format that no one has bothered to reverse engineer in this case.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xerophyte posted:

Re: Jade Empire, use jpgs, certainly not 100 quality but 90 should be fine. I'd say the errors on 85 are small enough to not matter much so if you're clinically short on bandwidth I guess that works, but that would be weird and strange. I'd personally rather keep the bloom but I suggest go with what you like to look at and not what random mooks in the Sandcastle like to look at on that one.

I... honestly can't tell. It might be my monitor, I may be going blind at my old age, but it takes some really big differences for me to notice for more than a second. So the bloom question is entirely up to the audience.

(I still need a way to set avspmod's jpg generation at a certain value, without having to change it manually every time)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Xander77 posted:

I... honestly can't tell. It might be my monitor, I may be going blind at my old age, but it takes some really big differences for me to notice for more than a second. So the bloom question is entirely up to the audience.

(I still need a way to set avspmod's jpg generation at a certain value, without having to change it manually every time)

Copy the frame with Ctrl-C or however the program works and save it in Irfanview, which does remember where you set the quality? Dunno if you'd call that faster or not.

I know doing that will work if you use Ctrl-1 in VirtualDub, at least.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 10, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Xander77 posted:

Don't. Save them as PNGs from AvsP, then batch convert them to JPG afterwards with Irfanview.

Retrocalypse
Sep 22, 2011
The following is a test post for my first LP on this website. The LP is a few episodes in already as I was hoping to clear a few things up about the forum rules before I posted here. Now that I have spoken to someone about the matter, I wish for help on the following (be gentle):

Hello one and all! My name is Steve and this is Ys Origin.

___________________________________________________________________________________

About the game

Ys Origin is a Japanese Action RPG released in 2006 for the windows platform. Originally the game was only available in Japan until a Steam port was released in May of 2012. The game is made by The Nihon Falcom Corperation and published by XSEED. It is the 7th game in the Ys series, but takes place as the first in the Ys story.

___________________________________________________________________________________

About this LP

I am playing this game completely blind. I hadn't even heard of it until the Steam summer sale when it was strongly recommended to me. Each episode of this LP is about half an hour long and will contain live commentary by myself. I'm using the Xbox 360 controller to play as it lends itself well to this game. My commentary is mostly genuine commentating about myself, my channel, my life and also the game and other gaming experiences. May contain some rather simplistic humour. It will be updated thrice weekly. Hints are welcome, but NO SPOILERS PLEASE.

About myself

I started doing LP's with Minecraft as there was a lot of content to show in that game. I continue to do two Minecraft LP series, but also wanted to expand into the realm of general gaming. I hope to LP console games in the future once I can be bothered to set up everything where it's needed.

Characters

Yunica Tovah

A girl who pretends to be a pirate when she's bored. She can't use magic so everyone has to feel sorry for her, but she does have a big axe. She is the heroine of our story and only being a rookie, finds herself being told off for exploring too much.

Hugo Fukt

The typical mage that I ignore solely on the basis that he uses magic and magic is boring. He has a staff and some hair but that's all we know. Except he has a cool last name that resembles something rather rude.

The Claw

A mysterious third character, greyed out on the title screen can only leave us guessing who he really is. My theory is that he is Jim Carrey's hand re-embodied into an anime game after being bitten off by a penguin. No-body escapes...The Claw!

Tree

A talking tree

Twin Goddesses

Two dainty looking anime girls that get captured by a demonic horde and get taken to a giant black phallic tower. Nothing disturbing about that, right?

FULL PLAYLIST

Episode List

Episode 1 - Blue Eyed Wonder
Episode 2 - Death
Episode 3 - Bruce Wayne Has Really Let Himself Go
Episode 4 - Lost

FAQ

To come

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Why the poo poo are you doing a blind run of this game? I mean Ys isn't the most complex RPG, but it's not going to be terribly fun seeing you flail against bosses and get lost in the dungeons every time.

On the content side, your video seems to have some motion blur or something going on, making it somewhat painful to watch you run around in combat. Your commentary also doesn't really add much to the game, maybe you should try post and a planned run of the game.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 10, 2012

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

There is a reason we don't recommend RPGs for video lps. Please don't talk over cutscenes if you do decide to go with video, because it might not be the same language, but you are distracting us. Finally, I will never recommend a blind run of a game. It will always make it worth it to know what the hell you are talking about.

Retrocalypse
Sep 22, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

Why the poo poo are you doing a blind run of this game? I mean Ys isn't the most complex RPG, but it's not going to be terribly fun seeing you flail against bosses and get lost in the dungeons every time.

On the content side, your video seems to have some motion blur or something going on, making it somewhat painful to watch you run around in combat. Your commentary also doesn't really add much to the game, maybe you should try post and a planned run of the game.

The reason I'm doing a blind run is because if I played it through first I would not have anything interesting to say at any of the cut scenes, or during the gameplay. Long story short, I would simply not enjoy it as much thus I feel my commentary would suffer

I haven't noticed any motion blur during playing, editing or watching the finished product, can you be more specific about where about in the video you are experiencing it?

I was nervous doing the first episode so I may be a bit quiet, I think it improves as I go along.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I really appreciate you went all the way out: Talking over cut-scenes, meta-discussion of the LP, blabbering on and on about nothing, talking about your Minecraft LP... Glorious

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you were more familiar with the game you can add more informative commentary rather then reactionary.

"Huh?!" "Ouch!" "Ok" "Ouch that really hurt" isn't exactly the pinnacle of entertainment either. Nor is telling us that you're drinking water and had some problems with Steam.

Don't do a blind run, don't do live commentary.

LPing a game you do know would be a lot better for your audience. They can learn more about the game, get interested, and get roped into it all. You can plan your jokes ahead since you know what you'll be ripping into.

And I only saw Episode three so don't give me this "I was nervous" bullshit.

Edit: Also showing one death to a boss to show how hard of a fight is ok but are you really not editing out all the extra times you had to face it?

Ride The Gravitron fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 10, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Brainamp posted:

There is a reason we don't recommend RPGs for video lps.

The test video up there is bad, but I feel like I have to step in here: Ys is very heavy on the Action side of the Action/RPG-spectrum and a SSLP would not properly show it off. You might consider making Screenshot posts for long cutscenes such as the opening, but that's about it.

e: I just realized, he's breaking the 3 month rule with this. The first and only English release of Ys Origin was on May 31 of this year.

Retrocalypse
Sep 22, 2011

Volume posted:

If you were more familiar with the game you can add more informative commentary rather then reactionary.

"Huh?!" "Ouch!" "Ok" "Ouch that really hurt" isn't exactly the pinnacle of entertainment either. Nor is telling us that you're drinking water and had some problems with Steam.

Don't do a blind run, don't do live commentary.

LPing a game you do know would be a lot better for your audience. They can learn more about the game, get interested, and get roped into it all. You can plan your jokes ahead since you know what you'll be ripping into.

And I only saw Episode three so don't give me this "I was nervous" bullshit.

Edit: Also showing one death to a boss to show how hard of a fight is ok but are you really not editing out all the extra times you had to face it?

Thanks for your input. It seems the commentary is what I really need to work on here.

The live commentary aspect is what really draws me to an LP, which is why I chose to do it this way. I understand that there's two schools of thought with regards to commentary and post commentary is largely favoured but I feel if I did not do live commentary I would have even less input to add to the game. I will certainly give that a trial run, but if I don't like the finished product I will be scrapping the episode.

As for the boss thing. Including almost every minute I play of the game was a decision I made to involve my learning experience. If you don't like the outcome, that's fine and I have no reason to be offended but I would rather appeal to those who like the similar style of Let's Play as me as the after discussion would be more interesting for us both.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The test video up there is bad, but I feel like I have to step in here: Ys is very heavy on the Action side of the Action/RPG-spectrum and a SSLP would not properly show it off. You might consider making Screenshot posts for long cutscenes such as the opening, but that's about it.

I was meaning more of the fact that he ran out of poo poo to say really fast, but I do know what you mean.

Retrocalypse
Sep 22, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

e: I just realized, he's breaking the 3 month rule with this. The first and only English release of Ys Origin was on May 31 of this year.

This issue was the one I mentioned in confirming the rules with one of the forum moderators. I emailed them and they replied saying they think it's fine as it is a translation and the rules state that if the game has any significant content added in a version under the 3 month rule then you must wait for those 3 months to pass. A translation is not significant content. This perhaps I should include this in the FAQ

Retrocalypse fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 10, 2012

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Brainamp posted:

There is a reason we don't recommend RPGs for video lps. Please don't talk over cutscenes if you do decide to go with video, because it might not be the same language, but you are distracting us. Finally, I will never recommend a blind run of a game. It will always make it worth it to know what the hell you are talking about.

Blind runs can be good, but preferably in screenshot form. The Fallout 1 was a blind LP written in a diary-style and it's one of my favorites. Horror games also work best when done blind.

But a video LP of an RPG like this is probably not a good idea, no.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Blind Runs only really work in certain situations, like some horror games, or for a game from a series the LPer is already familiar with, and even then you'll want someone else to co-commentate, preferably someone knowledgeable in the game.

If you really have your heart set for a blind LP, you'll probably want to tackle a better candidate than an RPG from a series you know little about. Even then, you have a big hurdle in making your commentary interesting, so I really suggest having one or two other people commentating with you.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Retrocalypse posted:

Thanks for your input. It seems the commentary is what I really need to work on here.

The live commentary aspect is what really draws me to an LP, which is why I chose to do it this way. I understand that there's two schools of thought with regards to commentary and post commentary is largely favoured but I feel if I did not do live commentary I would have even less input to add to the game. I will certainly give that a trial run, but if I don't like the finished product I will be scrapping the episode.

As for the boss thing. Including almost every minute I play of the game was a decision I made to involve my learning experience. If you don't like the outcome, that's fine and I have no reason to be offended but I would rather appeal to those who like the similar style of Let's Play as me as the after discussion would be more interesting for us both.
Having watched the 3rd video and 15 minutes of you failing at a boss without explaining boss mechanics or seemingly figuring out how to beat the boss without being horrible, I can safely say that you might really want to rethink this because in all sincerity it's awful. People may feel fine dealing with lovely game playing when an entertaining person is talking but you don't have anything interesting to say or add to the videos. Like someone mentioned we don't care about technical issues you're having, what you did today, or what you're drinking. If that is what you like to watch then that's cool, but there's no point in posting in the sandcastle to get feedback if that's going to be your response. Blind runs can be good, but rarely are; and live commentary can be good by interesting and witty people. But from what you've shown here it's not really indicating either to be working well for you.

Also I'm a bit confused by how planning out commentary and actually knowing the game would leave you with less to say.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
If you're LPing a game that you already know and have played, it's probably because you really enjoy that game and have a lot to say about it. In that case, I see no reason for there to be a lack of anything to say, and if there's boring parts where you won't have much to say you'll know ahead of time and be able to work it out accordingly.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Retrocalypse posted:

If you don't like the outcome, that's fine and I have no reason to be offended but I would rather appeal to those who like the similar style of Let's Play as me as the after discussion would be more interesting for us both.

You find a lot of people who like that sort of thing in Youtube comments. Not so many on Something Awful. If you're good at what you do, this sort of thing can work, but if you want to become good at it, you're much better off doing an LP of a game you know and love to start with.

Tomaquin
Sep 6, 2010
Bizarre exchange I stumbled upon when reading the development blog for Jonathan Blow's new game.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It still baffles me when people think that LP's are a good way to make money.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Brainamp posted:

It still baffles me when people think that LP's are a good way to make money.

The thought-process goes no further than LPs = Popular = Page Views = Monetizing.

If these people had the wearwithal to actually sit down and crunch the numbers on making such a thing viable, they wouldn't be trying to support themselves by mumbling into a microphone as they play video games in their basement.

EDIT:

Volume posted:

I'm going through some video LP's in the archive and the most views I see are like 600 tops. That's not enough to make anything. I'm willing to be the hardware/electricity/internet bills far out weigh anything they make.

You kind of have to get YouTube-Famous in order for that to happen, and that generally does not happen for us given our general feelings towards the YouTube community. But even for those who want it, getting YouTube-Famous is akin to having lightning strike you and generally has little to do with the quality of what you're making.

There certainly exist people who support themselves through pageviews, some of them even doing Let's Plays or things very similar to Let's Plays. That said, those people often get where they are by turning out daily content for years on end, and I can't imagine that's a much easier job than many similar-paying ones out there.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 11, 2012

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going through some video LP's in the archive and the most views I see are like 600 tops. That's not enough to make anything. I'm willing to be the hardware/electricity/internet bills far out weigh anything they make.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Everyone can Backstab - Let's Play LOOT!
EDIT: SPELLCHECKED TEST POST IS HERE

Loot! is a strategy/boardgame i’ve wrote last year; this is the forum adaptation.
Loot! is a Dungeon Crawler (IE: HeroQuest) but with a twist: the players have to cooperate – to a certain degree – in order to achieve victory; but at the same time, this is a competitive game, ‘cause only 1 Team is going to prevail...and players can do some pretty nasty things to other players.

Players control classic fantasy heroes: warriors, wizards, dorfs, elves, etc but they’re not driven just by glory: as the name implies, “Loot!” is a game about sweet sweet bounty. At the end of the day, the richest, pimpest Team is the winner!

The game’s core is based on rounds: each player acts, then it’s the Master (me!) turn. Rinse and repeat. To keep the game interesting for everyone reading, those who aren’t directly controlling an hero get to vote to direct the monsters actions!

This said, i'd really appreciate a little help with a grammar/spelling/horror check on that post, 'cause english is not my native language.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 11, 2012

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Volume posted:

I'm not sure what you're looking at, but the numbers are significantly higher than 600 views per video for most LPs.

It's still a bad way to make money though.

Edit:

Retrocalypse posted:

Your commentary suffers because you're doing a blind LP and have no idea what to talk about, nor can you offer any insight into the game.

Blind LPs are a dodgy prospect to begin with, but most people who do them at least know something about the game and have a decent idea of why they'd want to LP it, and not "first time I heard about this was the Steam summer sale" which I might remind people was 2 weeks ago.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

That Italian Guy posted:

Everyone can Backstab - Let's Play LOOT!
Test Post

Loot! is a strategy/boardgame i’ve wrote last year; this is the forum adaptation.
Loot! is a Dungeon Crawler (IE: HeroQuest) but with a twist: the players have to cooperate – to a certain degree – in order to achieve victory; but at the same time, this is a competitive game, ‘cause only 1 Team is going to prevail...and players can do some pretty nasty things to other players.

Players control classic fantasy heroes: warriors, wizards, dorfs, elves, etc but they’re not driven just by glory: as the name implies, “Loot!” is a game about sweet sweet bounty. At the end of the day, the richest, pimpest Team is the winner!

The game’s core is based on rounds: each player acts, then it’s the Master (me!) turn. Rinse and repeat. To keep the game interesting for everyone reading, those who aren’t directly controlling an hero get to vote to direct the monsters actions!

This said, i'd really appreciate a little help with a grammar/spelling/horror check on that post, 'cause english is not my native language.
Just doing a simple spell check in Word, or any program, would have easily weeded out a lot of the spelling issues. Also giving some example of actual turns or gameplay would be extremely helpful, because you've given outlines of the rules and how things should work but I was a bit lost in all of it. Also you don't need to point out and mention over and over Battlepods. It's cool if that's where you got the formatting from but you really don't need to mention it. Also please don't use AOL speak (i.e. lol, rofl, or poo poo like that).

• Locked thread