Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
Ever since installed Mountain Lion, I have an incredibly strange issue with my MacbookPro8,1. Whenever I bring my laptop back home and it connects to my home Wifi network, it automatically connects to my AirFoil Speakers setup on my Windows PC, without me ever changing that setting. This now happens every time I return home in the afternoon from work and it baffles me why it has automatically become the default setting.

I'm at work right now, but when I am at home it is set to "Fractal Speakers" (my Airfoil Speakers name).

tl;dr: essentially my mbp is directly connecting to an airplay receiver every time I connect to my home wifi network, how can i prevent this from being the default choice?

"Boom Device" is Boom, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Toph posted:

I have a really odd problem on Mountain Lion, and would appreciate goony insight:

When I activate Mission Control to drag , say, two windows to another space, the first drag works fine. I can drag the window to the other space, which darkens, then release the mouse, and it's in that space, just as it's supposed to work.

The second window I drag, the recipient space won't darken—it doesn't register that I'm dragging the window over it—and when I release the mouse button, the window will snap back to its original position as though I'd dragged it anywhere else.

Then, I'll click on it and drag it again, and it'll work properly. Then, I'll drag another window and it won't work. This bug happens every other time I drag a window, with perfect regularity. The second, non-working drag doesn't have to be over a space for it to count. I can just "nudge" a window, then pick it up and drag it to another space just fine. The "new space" button seems to work fine.

It's really annoying. Any ideas how to fix it?

P.S. I tested it on the Guest Account, and the bug seems to occur there too.

Huh, I just tested and confirmed it on mine, too. Strange.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Quick question and this seemed like it might be (hopefully!) the best place for it: I've got a PDF with a list of names and phone numbers in column format. It's the kind of PDF where I'm able to copy and paste stuff from it -- I'd really like to somehow import this data into the Contacts application on my mac so it'll sync up with my iPhone and put it all in there, but I don't see any way to do this other than copying and pasting names and numbers field by field -- there's not even an apparent way to copy and paste the information for an entire contact in there at once. Is there a relatively painless method for a not-incredibly-savvy person to import this data into my contacts list from a PDF, or am I stuck doing it the tedious way? Thanks so much

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
I have yet to buy anything from the App Store, because bad experiences with getting locked out of iTouch apps has soured me on having to log in to use an App. I am behind the times, but it looks like Pixelmator does what I need and it is only available from the App Store.

So I have questions:

Has the App Store made any of that less of a hassle or does it end up being even more of a hassle than the iTunes Stuff? As an example, can I take a program to a new computer that does not have internet access and use it, or will it need to call home to be able to be used on a new computer? In other words, is it activation based?

Does everyone on the computer have access to the program?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

pupdive posted:

Has the App Store made any of that less of a hassle or does it end up being even more of a hassle than the iTunes Stuff?
I think you're going to have to be more specific about what you want to know. "more of a hassle than the iTunes stuff" doesn't help us know exactly what you mean when you say "experiences with getting locked out of [iPod touch] apps."

To sort of answer your question, I've had zero problems with the App Store. You buy the app, it goes in your Applications folder, and you do whatever you want with it. Everyone with read/execute access to /Applications (or wherever you feel like moving the app) can use it.

Sonic Dude fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 9, 2012

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

dox posted:

Ever since installed Mountain Lion, I have an incredibly strange issue with my MacbookPro8,1. Whenever I bring my laptop back home and it connects to my home Wifi network, it automatically connects to my AirFoil Speakers setup on my Windows PC, without me ever changing that setting. This now happens every time I return home in the afternoon from work and it baffles me why it has automatically become the default setting.

I'm at work right now, but when I am at home it is set to "Fractal Speakers" (my Airfoil Speakers name).

tl;dr: essentially my mbp is directly connecting to an airplay receiver every time I connect to my home wifi network, how can i prevent this from being the default choice?

"Boom Device" is Boom, by the way.

Try messing around in Audio MIDI Setup. You may be able to disable the speakers from there, or possibly create an Aggregate Device (click the "+") that doesn't include them and set that to be used for output.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
I swear I'm not a shill for Alfred, but I just stumbled across this Extension tutorial for quickly starting new projects and pulling live code down automatically. I'm sure it could be bent and tweaked in all sorts of different ways:
http://youtu.be/jMsM3L2asGk

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

pupdive posted:

It's normally $29.99, not $59.99. The outside sites are all repeating the same old info. (Is it really only available through the App Store?)

I'm just going by what it says on the http://pixelmator.com website.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

AppShopper says that it's gone back and forth between both prices. This is a good deal though no matter which one you consider the "real" price.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

pupdive posted:

Is [the MAS] activation based? Does everyone on the computer have access to the program?

As I understand, they are connected/activated through your Apple ID. Applications will work fine on different computers as long as you sign into the same Apple ID. (source)

Otherwise, I've had literally no problems with the Mac App Store. You buy an App, it downloads, appears in Applications and works. Reformat? Log in to your Apple ID, click Install and it'll even install every previous application you've bought automagically, or you can do it manually. Pretty seamless if you ask me.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
iPhoto keeps wanting to be updated through the App Store. I've updated it maybe 4 times, but it keeps showing up in the App Store as having an update available. I click update, it downloads and installs, goes away for a few days, then it comes back. It's the same update every time (the one from July 25th). It's not a huge deal but it's a little annoying.

moon demon fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 9, 2012

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

pipes! posted:

I swear I'm not a shill for Alfred, but I just stumbled across this Extension tutorial for quickly starting new projects and pulling live code down automatically. I'm sure it could be bent and tweaked in all sorts of different ways:

I purchased Alfred a couple of weeks ago and love it. It has completely replaced Spotlight for me. Extensions are great too - so many good ones already developed and very easy to add your own utility shell and applescripts. This is purely anecdotal, but it seems to be much more polished and consistent in its behavior than a lot of the older alternatives like Quicksilver.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

As was posted in the Apple Development thread in CoC, Textmate 2 is now open source (GPLv3): https://github.com/textmate/textmate It's still pretty much prerelease quality, though.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 9, 2012

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Is there some sort of utility that will let me specify where sound outputs for individual apps, while the utility is running? Basically I want to be able to specify that say, audio from Skype goes through my headset, but audio from quicktime goes through my macbook's speakers.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

devilmouse posted:

Every so often, someone will write up a "The First Things I Do with a New Mac" article. Not a "My first Mac" guide or something for people coming from Windows, but rather, an article detailing all the random terminal commands to run to make the settings sane, the slightly esoteric software to install and the best ordering, and so on.

Given that it's been 4 years since I've last had a "new" Mac, has anyone seen a similar article in a Mountain Lion world (or even Lion, since I'm that out of date!)? Google fails me because the results are pretty garbled up with either reviews of ML or the rmpb.

A couple months ago I threw an SSD in my Mini and decided to start 100% from scratch (clean install of Lion, reinstalling the apps I still wanted, manually copying data and getting everything configured how I wanted, etc.) One of the things I did in preparation was go through the Tips & Tricks section on OS X Daily and copied anything I knew I wanted or thought might be useful into a document.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Porkchop Express posted:

Is there some sort of utility that will let me specify where sound outputs for individual apps, while the utility is running? Basically I want to be able to specify that say, audio from Skype goes through my headset, but audio from quicktime goes through my macbook's speakers.

http://cycling74.com/products/soundflower/

Here you go - I use it daily.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Sonic Dude posted:

I think you're going to have to be more specific about what you want to know. "more of a hassle than the iTunes stuff" doesn't help us know exactly what you mean when you say "experiences with getting locked out of [iPod touch] apps."

To sort of answer your question, I've had zero problems with the App Store. You buy the app, it goes in your Applications folder, and you do whatever you want with it. Everyone with read/execute access to /Applications (or wherever you feel like moving the app) can use it.

What happens when you take the app to a computer that does not have internet access?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

pupdive posted:

What happens when you take the app to a computer that does not have internet access?
Nothing special.

Individual apps might have some kind of “call home” features, but that's some silliness the developer has decided on in that case, and not something that has anything to do with the app store. Sure, you can't update the apps without internet, but then that's hardly surprising for a digital distribution service… or, hell, it wouldn't be surprising even in the case of physical software distribution — when was the last time you got an update delivered on any kind of physical media rather than download it from the publisher's site?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

pupdive posted:

I need to do some standard cropping/resizing of photos for ID cards, and I want a program that does it fast and makes decisions for me so I end up with reasonable size etc.

Graphic Converter is surprisingly a pain in the rear end about this, given the name, since it asks me a bunch of questions I don't want to have to think about, and the online solutions are pretty useless.

Any ideas? I will pay if it works but.
Tried messing with Automator? The options are pretty basic so it might not work, but it's pretty simple to script something up at least. Otherwise Preview has simple editing tools if you need to do the edits manually.

Arivia posted:

It might be that all updated apps need to be sandboxed. Like my diary application was sandboxed in the last update. Why would you sandbox a diary app?! For pretty good reasons, seeing as one of its selling points is cloud integration.
Yeah apps that aren't sandboxed won't get any updates until they get sandboxed. Stuff like Moom has no way of working within the sandbox restrictions so they can't update the store one anymore (they just got one last feature and bug fix update in before the deadline), so they did a simple store to non store version transition for users to get future updates.

mediaphage posted:

Huh, I just tested and confirmed it on mine, too. Strange.
Same here, trying to drag the window again worked though, every drag but #2 it seemed. I'm running some random things that could possibly interfere (BetterTouchTool and Moom), didn't test with them off yet.

pupdive posted:

I think it does the Apple ID check on first launch, so if it's copied to a new computer not linked to an account then it won't work I guess...otherwise it'd be pretty easy to pirate the apps I would think.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

pipes! posted:

I don't understand why you need alfred instead of just saving that shell script locally and running it with an argument.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Ziploc posted:

Holy poo poo. Is there really no way to disable scroll acceleration?

https://github.com/davekeck/DisableExtremeScrollAcceleration

Finally. It was driving me frigging batty, especially since everyone you try to explain it to thinks you're talking about intertial scrolling or something else that you can actually adjust.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
I'm really sorry if this has been asked before. But my google-fu is weak. Essentially the only thing stopping me from using Safari on my macbook is SALR not being available. Is there some place I'm missing?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
First hit searching for salr safari: https://github.com/scottferg/salr-safari

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

I'm really sorry if this has been asked before. But my google-fu is weak. Essentially the only thing stopping me from using Safari on my macbook is SALR not being available. Is there some place I'm missing?

Isn't the Last Read functionality built into the site now? What is SALR for?

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
Basically SALR tells you how many new posts in (parenthesis). It's very handy to know how many replies there are. I did google it and that did come up but I really am embarassed to admit I don't understand those instructions at all. It says to download it through chrome. I'm lost. Why can't it just be a simple .pkg ? Can anyone dumb it down for me? Thanks and sorry.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Porkchop Express posted:

Doesn't Skype have its own app pref for audio output/input? Other VOIP apps I've used all do.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

Basically SALR tells you how many new posts in (parenthesis). It's very handy to know how many replies there are. I did google it and that did come up but I really am embarassed to admit I don't understand those instructions at all. It says to download it through chrome. I'm lost. Why can't it just be a simple .pkg ? Can anyone dumb it down for me? Thanks and sorry.

But the SA Forums already does this

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh wow it does. The SALR has the counter in Re but the forums default one is at the right of the title column. Thanks!

smax
Nov 9, 2009

goferchan posted:

Quick question and this seemed like it might be (hopefully!) the best place for it: I've got a PDF with a list of names and phone numbers in column format. It's the kind of PDF where I'm able to copy and paste stuff from it -- I'd really like to somehow import this data into the Contacts application on my mac so it'll sync up with my iPhone and put it all in there, but I don't see any way to do this other than copying and pasting names and numbers field by field -- there's not even an apparent way to copy and paste the information for an entire contact in there at once. Is there a relatively painless method for a not-incredibly-savvy person to import this data into my contacts list from a PDF, or am I stuck doing it the tedious way? Thanks so much

See if you can copy the information into Excel. Be sure to split up first names and last names into different columns and to name the columns accordingly.

Save as --> .csv

Open up Contacts, File --> Import

Go to your .csv file and it'll pop up a window asking how to import the fields.

If that doesn't work, let me know and I can try to format it for you. I've got some tools on my computer and I have access to a full version of Acrobat at work--if all else fails I can do some magic there and format it for you. Honestly I haven't done exactly this before so I don't know what you'll need to do, but I've got a good idea of what needs to happen--it'll just take some trial and error.

smax fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 10, 2012

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

https://github.com/downloads/scottferg/salr-safari/salr-safari.safariextz

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
Thank you again!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mu Zeta posted:

SALR does a lot more (no idea about the Safari version as I don't use Safari, talking about the Chrome and FF-versions), like colouring your posts if cited, coloring your posts period, colouring the posts of the OP, Mods, Admins, converting links to pics (configurable for spoilers/NMS/NWS), removing footer/header of the forum, allowing you to navigate with mouse gestures, thread filtering, quick navigation, quick reply, ignore threads, remove links...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

~Coxy posted:

Doesn't Skype have its own app pref for audio output/input? Other VOIP apps I've used all do.
Yup, I was going to bring this up. If your only need is in re Skype, then the functionality is built in already. You can force Skye to use your headset, and tell OS X to route everything else to wherever it is that you want it to go.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Has anyone tried OmniFocus? It looks good, but it's $40(!)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Arivia posted:

Has anyone tried OmniFocus? It looks good, but it's $40(!)

It's pretty much the GTD (getting things done) app.

If you follow that strategy/philosophy/whathaveyou, it's the app you want (and there's a neat iOS version as well that lets you synch the two rather effortlessly). If all you want is a reminders/time management app, then it's still very good, if maybe a bit quirky since it assumes you'll want to do certain things with your tasks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tippis posted:

If you follow that strategy/philosophy/whathaveyou, it's the app you want (and there's a neat iOS version as well that lets you synch the two rather effortlessly). If all you want is a reminders/time management app, then it's still very good, if maybe a bit quirky since it assumes you'll want to do certain things with your tasks.

I don't think I'm familiar with that philosophy. Is there a link or a guide or something?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

© DavidCo, 2001

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Arivia posted:

I don't think I'm familiar with that philosophy. Is there a link or a guide or something?

http://www.43folders.com/2004/09/08/getting-started-with-getting-things-done

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I want my mouse's scroll wheel to scroll traditionally, and my trackpad to scroll naturally. Even though there is a setting for each in the Mouse and Trackpad Preferences respectively, setting one causes a corresponding change in the other. Is there really no way to have this, even on Mountain Lion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hm, this looks interesting. To avoid derailing the thread, is there a separate thread about this, or with discussion of comparable life-organizing philosophies? I could probably use one.

Lexicon posted:

I want my mouse's scroll wheel to scroll traditionally, and my trackpad to scroll naturally. Even though there is a setting for each in the Mouse and Trackpad Preferences respectively, setting one causes a corresponding change in the other. Is there really no way to have this, even on Mountain Lion?
Not natively as far as I know. My mouse is a third-party mouse with its own prefpane, and I just set the scroll direction the opposite way there (so, mwheeldown scrolls UP, but this is reversed back to normal with natural scrolling).