Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

spog posted:

It really is hard to feel much sympathy here.

He leaves nearly a quarter of a million dollars of stuff in a car, without insurance.

Here's the list from his FB.. my god, I just can't fathom having this stuff and not having insurance on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Apparently his main business flooded and he didn't have insurance on that either. I won't laugh at his misfortune but I can't bring myself to pity him either.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

RangerScum posted:

Apparently his main business flooded and he didn't have insurance on that either. I won't laugh at his misfortune but I can't bring myself to pity him either.

To be fair to him, there were a LOT of people in Brisbane who couldn't get flood insurance because of where they were located (in a flood plain), but Brisbane being a big city, people wanted to be closer to the city so they built/rented there anyways, especially since there hadn't been a major flood in Brisbane in almost 100 years.

It was dumb, yes, but there were thousands of people in the exact same situation.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

HookShot posted:

To be fair to him, there were a LOT of people in Brisbane who couldn't get flood insurance because of where they were located (in a flood plain), but Brisbane being a big city, people wanted to be closer to the city so they built/rented there anyways, especially since there hadn't been a major flood in Brisbane in almost 100 years.

It was dumb, yes, but there were thousands of people in the exact same situation.

I'd suggest that if you had just lost a business because you didn't have insurance, failing to insure the vital equipment for your remaining business is beyond stupid.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spog posted:

I'd suggest that if you had just lost a business because you didn't have insurance, failing to insure the vital equipment for your remaining business is beyond stupid.

Oh definitely. He 110% should have had the insurance on his camera equipment regardless. I'm just talking about the flood one, and how he's definitely not alone in losing a business by not having insurance.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

argh, no insurance!? Jeez, I'd cry if I lost my cheap-rear end kitbag AND I have it insured :o:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Here's the list from his FB.. my god, I just can't fathom having this stuff and not having insurance on it.

Wow, I feel nervous when I put my bag on a table at a coffee shop, and this guy leaves all this poo poo in a car overnight?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I am unfamiliar with his work, but the article said something about him being a wildlife photographer. I don't see any long lenses on that list - did he concentrate on the small-and-lethal examples of Australian wildlife, like spiders and so forth?

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I did a concept shoot a while ago and I ended up spending quite a bit of money on it for props and stuff and I absolutely hate it. I hate when that happens.

Then, I was really excited about doing a trash the dress session with my new sister in law and just with the way it turned out, we had to shoot at full on noon, sun directly overhead, and all of the locations had no shade. loving sucked. Not to mention like half my shots were out of focus.

Hate photography right now. Well, I hate my photography right now. I see work that I love and I can't get myself to that level. How do you guys keep pushing yourselves? Like I know what's wrong, for the most part, but I can't seem to push myself past that. Time for a break? Does a break help or would I be better off just pushing through?

/whine

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Shoot something different, something where you don't have expectations about what it has to look like.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I just about made an advice post in the no-advice thread, but I moved it to the General Photography Questions thread.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

CarrotFlowers posted:

I did a concept shoot a while ago and I ended up spending quite a bit of money on it for props and stuff and I absolutely hate it. I hate when that happens.

Then, I was really excited about doing a trash the dress session with my new sister in law and just with the way it turned out, we had to shoot at full on noon, sun directly overhead, and all of the locations had no shade. loving sucked. Not to mention like half my shots were out of focus.

Hate photography right now. Well, I hate my photography right now. I see work that I love and I can't get myself to that level. How do you guys keep pushing yourselves? Like I know what's wrong, for the most part, but I can't seem to push myself past that. Time for a break? Does a break help or would I be better off just pushing through?

/whine

I know it's a more unpopular opinion, but I say take a break. Don't touch your camera til you're itching to get back. I go through cycles of hating my work and wanting to burn everything to the ground, like most people do, and I find the easiest way to ease out of that attitude is to just let it be, go do other stuff I enjoy until I have a positive attitude about art work again. During that time, I still shoot my commercial work (gotta eat), but I don't put extra artistic thought into it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

CarrotFlowers posted:

/whine

Other than taking a complete break, you can try exploring a different genre of photography, something more casual and fun that you don't have to think too hard, maybe like street or landscape photography, etc.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

alkanphel posted:

Other than taking a complete break, you can try exploring a different genre of photography, something more casual and fun that you don't have to think too hard, maybe like street or landscape photography, etc.

I like his advice. Go to the local park or better yet actual forest with trees instead of shrubs and take some golden hour photos; experiment with shallow/deep DOF.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Thanks guys. I'm going to Nova Scotia on Saturday for 2 weeks and though I'm itching to do some portraits with the wicked settings, I'm going to push myself to just stick to landscape stuff and see what that gets me. When I get back, I'll see where I'm at and take it from there. Hopefully the push to new scenery will just be a nice change of pace and get me motivated again. If not, well Guild Wars 2 comes out :P

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006

Santa is strapped posted:

take some golden hour photos

This might be the No Advice thread, but this is the best advice for every day. Get your rear end up that early, it's always worth it.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

I had a bizarre conversation yesterday regarding one of my photos. An acquaintance asked me over Facebook if I could give her the original of one of the pictures I took of her recently. It was taken at a sports event, where she's coming up to the finish line after a successful run. I tell her that I have it and ask her why she needs it and how original does she needs it to be (i.e. does she need the raw file for something or does she just need a larger .jpg or more dpis or what).

No. She wants the original version where her thighs do not look like they have cellulite. "You said you did post-processing! I want the original one!"

I'm seriously contemplating not taking pictures of people ever again.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I want to see the photos Usain Bolt took after his win :cool:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Go to the local park or better yet actual forest with trees instead of shrubs and take some golden hour photos

I read this as 'Golden Shower photos'

Man, this place has warped me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

psylent posted:

The fastest photographer in the world </clarkson>

Looks like someone is in quite the denial. Give her the 'original' and tell us her reaction
Do this pleeeeease

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 10, 2012

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

psylent posted:

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/08/09/usain-bolt-nabs-photographers-dslr-snaps-awesome-pov-shots/

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Rixatrix posted:

No. She wants the original version where her thighs do not look like they have cellulite. "You said you did post-processing! I want the original one!"

Looks like someone is in quite the denial. Give her the 'original' and tell us her reaction

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Rixatrix posted:

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Rixatrix posted:

I had a bizarre conversation yesterday regarding one of my photos. An acquaintance asked me over Facebook if I could give her the original of one of the pictures I took of her recently. It was taken at a sports event, where she's coming up to the finish line after a successful run. I tell her that I have it and ask her why she needs it and how original does she needs it to be (i.e. does she need the raw file for something or does she just need a larger .jpg or more dpis or what).

I get this all the time and it's seriously frustrating. No I will not give you every photo. No I will not put out unedited photos on the internet, let alone hundreds of them. There is a reason I do post processing on images I take.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I don't bring my camera to any friend events for that very reason. If you're a photographer people expect you to take pictures and hound you for them, even though it's not like it's a professional environment. It's much easier to shrug and say "sorry, I only have my phone!" I say the same thing when people ask if I'm bringing my camera to family event/wedding/whatever. Eventually they stop bugging you. Even better is if you only bring film cameras. "Oh, it's film? Oh...." and they wander off because if they can't see it in less than a month, who cares, it's out of date on facebook.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

ExecuDork posted:

Also, XTimmy, where are those pictures from Bali?

Man I gotta tell you while I love my little AE1 I spent most of the trip partially deaf and coked up on painkillers following a group of people who had more interest in booze than culture around. I have nothing but terrible touristy shots and I feel like rear end because of it. I did get them printed though so I'll try and scan the handful I did get that I liked and post them up.

Where'd be best to post 'em you think?

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 10, 2012

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Shmoogy posted:

I get this all the time and it's seriously frustrating. No I will not give you every photo. No I will not put out unedited photos on the internet, let alone hundreds of them. There is a reason I do post processing on images I take.

Anybody planning to take their photography public really needs to think about how they are going to answer the following questions:
1: You took a bunch of pictures but I only see 12. Where are the rest?
2: If you're not going to fix my arm fat, can you just give me the original pictures so I can photoshop them myself?
3: I tried to get this printed, but they said it was too small and it has your name at the bottom. Can you email me a bigger version without any writing on it?

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Rixatrix posted:

One of my friends (a man in his mid 20s) regularly accuses me of having photoshopped his hairline and eyebrows to make him look bad.

When I alter things, I do it much more subtlely, like making one of his eyes 20% bigger and rotated 15°.

Yes!

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

You know, I think I need software that does this just so I can troll people with less effort. Right now it's such a chore adding fat on people in post.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Does that photog not use back button focus, or does Usain know a fair bit about cameras?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Shmoogy posted:

Does that photog not use back button focus, or does Usain know a fair bit about cameras?

He's done it like three times with Bolt now so he might have prepared it specially or set it to a custom mode.

Also it's an UWA so focus probably isn't that super critical anyway

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9NWeMkBN_A

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Look at how good that camera is! I bet he takes some great pictures!

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

I really hope some day I'm successful enough in what I do that I can toss $20,000 into anything without doing immense amounts of research .

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I'm going to go ahead and point out that he might not be entirely be serious.

Video #3 seems to agree with me

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah I mean he's trolling, but it was still funny :)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

XTimmy posted:

Man I gotta tell you while I love my little AE1 I spent most of the trip partially deaf and coked up on painkillers following a group of people who had more interest in booze than culture around. I have nothing but terrible touristy shots and I feel like rear end because of it. I did get them printed though so I'll try and scan the handful I did get that I liked and post them up.

Where'd be best to post 'em you think?
Booze = Culture, you Philistine! Manual focus + alcohol + painkillers = awesome. Also, as I recall part of the point of the AE-1 was so you didn't have to worry about it. Also, a big lump of brass that you can thump loudly on the bar to attract attention (so you can more easily order the next round).

Travel pics have a history of showing the insides of bars and houses of ill repute since long before the camera was invented. You think Kipling was sober when he wrote The Jungle Book? "Mad dogs and Englishmen" is a phrase* invented to explain the gin-and-tonic soaked travel adventures of silly Brits. Indonesia used to be a Dutch colony - do you really think the colonial Dutch were any less drunken dickheads than the English in India?

* the full phrase is "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noonday sun" and refers to the curiously English-colonial habit of being so drunk on malaria phrophylaxis by 11am that you don't notice that your oppressed servants are hiding from the cruel, cruel sun.

bisticles posted:

Anybody planning to take their photography public really needs to think about how they are going to answer the following questions:
2: If you're not going to fix my arm fat, can you just give me the original pictures so I can photoshop them myself?
3: I tried to get this printed, but they said it was too small and it has your name at the bottom. Can you email me a bigger version without any writing on it?
Maybe I'm just in a belligerent mood, but perhaps the answer to all three is "Nope" and a steely-eyed stare. It probably helps to be physically larger than the person asking the question (and they can't be your mother) if you're going that route, though.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

bisticles posted:

These questions are exactly why I only work on creating photos for business owners and PR firms.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

bisticles posted:

My wife does this to me. I have explained to her many times, and showed her that not every picture is golden.

Example: I took about 900 pictures of her cousins wedding. 100 made it out with one star or better. Of that there are only 5-10 I am really proud of. She asked where the rest are and the shots that are blatantly bad she says are good enough for her family.

"I am sorry but the camera's auto focus wasn't quite there yet. The picture of your dad and your uncle is out of focus and looks like poo poo. If you want a blurry picture of 2 blobs and a focus'd banana we can talk."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SO happy my wife shoots you have no idea.