Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Ultimate Spider Man #13. Miles is not having a good time being Spider-Man. It's hard to tell right now, but he may be responsible for his deviant uncle's death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think what I love about that Death of Spider-Man cover is the word bubble they gave Ben.

"You did good, kid."

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Waterhaul posted:

The new series of Hawkeye started this week and straight away introduces Hawkeye trying to save the life of an injured dog.

Through flashbacks we see how Hawkeye sees the dog for the first time

Hawkeye subsequently gets involved in a fight with the gang that owns the dog and things get pretty severe.

It's all okay in the end though :unsmith:

Oh gently caress you, Fraction. Making me buy a doggone Hawkeye comic in 2012.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Waterhaul posted:

Carney-man Adventures

I love how the first page has Hawkeye in the hospital with an almost identical laundry list of injuries.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Arrow is good name. Arrow is a good dog.

Good dog, best friend.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gnome de plume posted:

Arrow is good name. Arrow is a good dog.

Good dog, best friend.

Arrow<Thori

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Now I really want Thori and Arrow to join the Pet Avengers.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

TwoPair posted:

Now I really want Thori and Arrow to join the Pet Avengers.

Thori has to be the villain they stop.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Arrow<Thori

Thori is gonna die fighting Surtur.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Terror Sweat posted:

Thori is gonna die fighting Surtur.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK YOU HEARTLESS BASTARD

:ohdear:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This next sequence might seem silly to some, but it really got to me.

:smith:

Atomic Robo: Real Science Adventures #4, by Brian Clevinger and Zack Finfrock.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

If only there was a writer around now a days great enough to save us from the million grim and gritty Rob Leifeld books that have taken over comics and bring us back to the glory days of 40 years ago.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

If only there was a writer around now a days great enough to save us from the million grim and gritty Rob Leifeld books that have taken over comics and bring us back to the glory days of 40 years ago.

The comic is set in 94 and it's sad because Robo doesn't age but things he cherishes fade away or change irreversibly.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Lurdiak posted:

The comic is set in 94 and it's sad because Robo doesn't age but things he cherishes fade away or change irreversibly.

Everything said about the 90s "Dark Age" can be applied to the current state of the industry.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Everything said about the 90s "Dark Age" can be applied to the current state of the industry.

And it's in such great shape nowadays.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

I thought that scene was kinda unfair. It cheery picks the worst cases, exaggerated them to the extreme, and ignores everything else.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Waterhaul posted:

Well, except that almost every comic sells under 100,000 copies now. :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waterhaul posted:

Show me a recent die-cut cover smarty pants!

No don't, I can't handle the idea of those coming back.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

While they might be lacking in chrome and 3-Dness there is a bit of a resurgence in the variant cover market.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

While they might be lacking in chrome and 3-Dness there is a bit of a resurgence in the variant cover market.

Variants never really went away but thankfully most stupid cover enhancements did. Marvel tried with their new Chromiums but there was so much negative feedback and tons of them were damaged in shipping so they backed off of them.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Rhyno posted:

We have QR code covers now, they're a lot cooler.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

We have QR code covers now, they're a lot cooler.

At least they're not MS's QR code knockoff.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Well at least Liefield's not still...oh, oh right.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

How has it taken two days for anyone to post anything from Spider-Men #4 here?

The lead-up: Peter Parker has ended up in the Ultimate Universe. After briefly teaming up with Miles and dealing with Nick Fury, he swings off because he's not sure if this is real or just Mysterio messing with him. He finds out that Ultimate Peter died and goes to his home to confront Aunt May and Gwen. He unmasks and they attack him, thinking he's just some heartless rear end in a top hat until Miles shows up to calm them down.

Peter beats himself up because he realizes it was unfair for him to even show up like this and much of the issue is based on the four of them talking to each other and comparing notes on their worlds. Also, Gwen calls up MJ to tell her what's going on. Finally, Nick Fury arrives and they're off to finish the plot.

I think one of the best things about this sequence is that by the end of it, even Fury is smiling. He feels like Peter's death is one of his greatest failures and even he is into the closure of this situation.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That entire issue was :unsmith: as hell. That being said, poor Peter having to lie to Gwen Stacy about her 616 counterpart being still alive was really awkward and i think that was the author's intention.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Plutonis posted:

That entire issue was :unsmith: as hell. That being said, poor Peter having to lie to Gwen Stacy about her 616 counterpart being still alive was really awkward and i think that was the author's intention.

Yeah, Bendis really scored a home run with the writing this time around.

I think when he's trying to write CHARACTERS instead of writing cleverness, he shines. Which isn't to say he can't be clever, just that he's better (possibly unknowingly) at emotional moments like this.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, Bendis really scored a home run with the writing this time around.

I think when he's trying to write CHARACTERS instead of writing cleverness, he shines. Which isn't to say he can't be clever, just that he's better (possibly unknowingly) at emotional moments like this.

See also Fall-out. You could post every single scene involving May, Gwen, and MJ in this thread.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Tinyn posted:

I thought that scene was kinda unfair. It cheery picks the worst cases, exaggerated them to the extreme, and ignores everything else.

I agree. Give the guy a copy of Marvels. That come out in 94. Or how about Books of Magic? Dark Knight Returns? Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? Nope, we'll just make a Liefeld joke and call it a day!

Content:

Batman: Ego was a little one-shot by Darwyn Cooke that came out in 2000 and received little attention. Essentially, after a particularly bad night when a thug that he leaned on for information takes his own life, Wayne decides that he can't shoulder the burden of being Batman anymore. Guilt, combined with blood loss (or something bigger?) causes him to (possibly) hallucinate that the batgod spirit of fear is paying him a Dickensian sort of visit.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm just glad it looks like aunt may got some closure in spider men and she won't beat herself up for what happened to Peter.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

OK Octopus posted:

I agree. Give the guy a copy of Marvels. That come out in 94. Or how about Books of Magic? Dark Knight Returns? Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? Nope, we'll just make a Liefeld joke and call it a day!

You realize that DKR and Whatever... came out in the 80s, right?

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Happy Hippo posted:

You realize that DKR and Whatever... came out in the 80s, right?

So loving what? Dude hadn't read any comics in 40+ years. Why not show him something from the 80s?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

OK Octopus posted:

So loving what? Dude hadn't read any comics in 40+ years. Why not show him something from the 80s?

I apparently loving misunderstood you and loving thought that you were loving trying to loving list some of the better loving books from the loving 90s.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I have a feeling that he might really like Hellboy, honestly. But that's just me. :v:

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Gavok posted:

How has it taken two days for anyone to post anything from Spider-Men #4 here?

The lead-up: Peter Parker has ended up in the Ultimate Universe. After briefly teaming up with Miles and dealing with Nick Fury, he swings off because he's not sure if this is real or just Mysterio messing with him. He finds out that Ultimate Peter died and goes to his home to confront Aunt May and Gwen. He unmasks and they attack him, thinking he's just some heartless rear end in a top hat until Miles shows up to calm them down.

Peter beats himself up because he realizes it was unfair for him to even show up like this and much of the issue is based on the four of them talking to each other and comparing notes on their worlds. Also, Gwen calls up MJ to tell her what's going on. Finally, Nick Fury arrives and they're off to finish the plot.

I think one of the best things about this sequence is that by the end of it, even Fury is smiling. He feels like Peter's death is one of his greatest failures and even he is into the closure of this situation.

No joke, my favorite part of that is Peter's awkward "Uh ... white." And Fury basically going "poor bastard."

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Maybe Atomic Robo just visited a really crappy comic book store.

The fact that for many people, crappy comic book stores became the only place to get comics is the real tragedy of the 90's.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

OK Octopus posted:

Or the Jack Knight version of Starman, which came out in '94 and had similar themes in it to what's being shown here.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Tinyn posted:

This reply isn't directed at you specifically, it's just a convenient quote to respond from.

My parents delivered every comic I bought from my comic collecting youth last week. I got into comics in '91 and I got out in '93. It is three long boxes of 100% of what's described in Dark Age.

"Well, you just had lovely taste!"

Yes. I was 12 - 14 years old. I was also the center of the bullseye for all comics marketing! All the industry told me about were X-Men, crossovers, deaths, #1s, and swimsuit issues. Obviously, good comics were made then. No one is disputing that! Alan Moore's Supreme is just the tip of that excellent iceberg!

But don't pretend it's a case of "cherry picking" to point out that the majority of corporate output in those days was hilariously desperate poo poo to cash in on the speculation and xtreme bubbles. DC's strategy was literally to do anything to get big buzz in Wizard Magazine. Think about that for a minute.

I would love to have lived through the '90s comics renaissance some of you guys imagine to have existed. It sounds great.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think it's more that you guys are cherry picking the good stuff; for every "Marvels" there are 10 things Lifield wrote.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Opopanax posted:

I think it's more that you guys are cherry picking the good stuff; for every "Marvels" there are 10 things Lifield wrote.

But that is the way comics always have been. There has been some amazing stuff and some absolute crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

But that is the way comics always have been. There has been some amazing stuff and some absolute crap

That's a fair point, but I'd say the crap was more prevalent and mainstream then.