Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
The funny thing is that while I liked Persona 3 as a game at the time, I feel that it was a game filled with assholes. Persona 4 on the other hand had a cast I actually cared about. I would have been significantly less excited about a Persona 3 fighting game and yet, here I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Artix74 posted:

Any general tips for playing as Yosuke? I thought I was doing alright with him, and then I got my rear end handed to me repeatedly online. I know I need to practice his aerial stuff more, but anything that might give me an idea on where to focus?

2A 2C 236B

and 5A 5C 2C 236B

into the air ender:

236A x2, 236D xx Tornado Super

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
I'll add to this: If there were going to focus on more than the P4 cast, they should have gone balls out and just made a Shin Megami Tensei fighting game. Give me my Persona 2 characters. Give me Maya Amano. Give me Naoki Kashima from Nocturne. Give me Raidou Kuzunoha.

Holy poo poo! Who wouldn't want to play as Raidou?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Well then everyone would ignore most of the cast and all matches would just be Raidou vs. Demi-Fiend until the end of time.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
The story also wouldn't make sense with Raidou, Demi Fiend.

Now, I swear that one of those silhouettes in the shadow operatives picture was Ulala (jacket reminded me) so it's possible that Maya could've been in.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

No Mods No Masters posted:

Can you really blame people? The P4 cast all have pretty mean/embarrassing titles, but the non-P4 guys got off pretty much scott free. Fix your game atlus :colbert:
Man gently caress that Yu/Charlie is the motherfucking king man.

Raidou would be too over powered because he the best at everything ever.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That was the best thing with Yu in the anime, you could never tell if he was genuinely an rear end or if he was the world's best one man Straight Guy/Screwball combination.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

That was the best thing with Yu in the anime, you could never tell if he was genuinely an rear end or if he was the world's best one man Straight Guy/Screwball combination.

I liked that they kinda kept that in Arena.

"Hey Yosuke, about those nurses..."

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Yesss, I was winning so much I got kicked by the host. Now all I need is some hatemail and my training will be complete.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I put 20 matches into the online now after the patch and the netcode gets my thumbs up. Only had 2 shitshows and the rest were playable to great.

I guess it comes with the people this game is attracting but mannnnn people playing this are thin skinned, proper spacing with pokes* is enough for rage-mail, I don't even know poo poo for combos with Mitsuru.

Also friend-ed the Personagoons tag, and my GT is: EvilCanadian if anyone wants to add me, right now I am a Million Horsepower Fighting game Bro :haw:

* Haven't put too much time into anyone else but is anyone else footsies/spacing oriented like Mitsuru is? I don't necessarily want full screen keep away or anything but just nice and pokey, I want to like Kanji but it just isn't clicking so far.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Can anyone explain what the different levels of Tornado fist do for Sanada's kill rush follow ups?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

JackDarko posted:

Can anyone explain what the different levels of Tornado fist do for Sanada's kill rush follow ups?

Lvl 3 makes Corkscrew wallbounce and Boomerang Hook crumple. You can combo off of his uppercut at lvl 2 and at lvl 3 it sends them higher allowing for a better followup.

In addition, a fatal counter will make lvl 2 corkscrew wallbounce and a lvl 3 will crumple.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

There are people online who don't know how to anti air to save their life. Got a rage quit thanks entirely to Labrys' jumping b.

What's a good followup to all out attacks on labrys? right now I'm just launching them and using my C persona attack, and then immediately using it again which often catches people airteching but not blocking.
I'd like to learn a proper followup that doesn't rely on my opponent messing up, and could get more damage in with an actual combo. I should probably go through her challenge mode.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 10, 2012

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Hey I know story in a fighting game heh or whatever but holy poo poo you guys the alternate kanji ending is amaaazing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So when did Akihiko get swiped by a tiger in the chest?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Speedball posted:

So when did Akihiko get swiped by a tiger in the chest?

Think about why he wasn't in your party in the beginning of P3.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm more concerned with why he still has that bandage on his face. If that hasn't healed by now, he should really see a doctor.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Please don't call attention to his crippling nellyitis, he's real sensitive about it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm more concerned with why he still has that bandage on his face. If that hasn't healed by now, he should really see a doctor.

Come on, we all know cheek cuts take the longest to heal.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

Think about why he wasn't in your party in the beginning of P3.

Oh! Actually that makes a lot of sense. ...Full Moon Shadow Magician did have a whole lot of knives in its hands, too, didn't it? Eep.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So My Xbox 360 borked awhile back(which was the system I have a Hori arcade stick for, and contained my fighting games), so I wound up buying this for the PS3.

Now I need an arcade stick for the PS3 because gently caress using d-pads. Are there some relatively good sticks that are also cheap?

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Aug 10, 2012

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Speedball posted:

Oh! Actually that makes a lot of sense. ...Full Moon Shadow Magician did have a whole lot of knives in its hands, too, didn't it? Eep.

I was about to bring up the beach part of P3, but then I remembered he had a shirt on the entire time.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nope, sorry. It happened when he was out wrestling bears and poo poo in the woods after the game. Why do you think he has that hunting knife?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

PS3 Elizabeth scrub goon (I may suck but I don't beam spam at least). PSN id is the same as my username if anyone wants to add me.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Finally got a chance to cut my teeth online.

Man, I have no idea how to fight Artemisia, and it feels like her Bufudyne does something like twice as much damage as anyone other character's supers. Mitsuru is pretty good too but it's her persona that's really bringing the pain from anywhere and everywhere.

The online's fun, though. I jumped into just ranked matches with a Mitsuru-colored Yukiko and I feel like it matched me with people around my skill level pretty well. Yukiko's fun to play - she's got great long rang and short range options, and if you give me any room I'm going to take it and probably Fire Boost. I ended up using Fire Boost a lot. Sometimes all the way to +8 if I'm playing against somebody really passive.

Her awakening super is the poo poo, especially after a bunch of fire boosts. Just get all up in people's faces and give 'em the old push-pull - that is, use the C version to push them out with deadly fire columns, then the D version to pull them back in with more. If they block the push, it still gives me plenty of room (and time) to use Fire Break before they can even get up, and people generally try to block the pull anyway only to eat a face full of fire (makes sense, the automatic reaction to a super animation is to block it). I squeaked out lots of wins that way.

I need to use Maragi more. I fought another Yukiko who out-fanned me pretty good and fired off Maragis that I took like a punk every time.

PS3 version here, I'd love to play against other scrubs like myself. PSN is the same as my AIM, and I'm on skype too as SA_Spiffo

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Terper posted:

Nope, sorry. It happened when he was out wrestling bears and poo poo in the woods after the game. Why do you think he has that hunting knife?

I am only now realizing how long everyone's neck in P3 is :stare:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Whoooooa, you're right! I've never noticed this before either. Now I can't unsee it.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Fumaofthelake posted:

PS3 Elizabeth scrub goon (I may suck but I don't beam spam at least). PSN id is the same as my username if anyone wants to add me.

Good, spam j.B ftw

blue font
Feb 28, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

Aigis in particular sports a very unsettling, long neck. It sticks out when she's not wearing the bow. She has always creeped me out a bit, don't think I ever used her in my party.

I know it's week 1, but I seem to be... very bad at this game. I must have been playing fighting games with very lax inputs before this one. I'm honestly having trouble doing even raw supers, or cancelling anything into a super at all. Never had much trouble with double QFC in soul calibur or SF4, guess it's just a matter of grinding it out for a bit.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fumaofthelake posted:

What's the point of playing Elizabeth if you don't spam Maziodyne from across the stage? :v:

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

What's the point of playing Elizabeth if you don't spam Maziodyne from across the stage? :v:

I just found out Yuki's R-Action absorbs the poo poo out of this beam and other projectiles

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

I'm told that Yukiko's Dia absorbs projectiles - how well? Does it work against the beam? Other Yukiko fans? Gunshots? This could be a game-changer when fighting Naoto (right now I rely on fan-throw > fire boost until they decide that fire boost is a problem and close the distance themselves)

edit: nice, that's awesome. Is there a writeup about what it does and does not soak up? I mean if it works against Maziodyne, it should work against just about anything.

What about projectile supers? (example: Yu's Ziodyne, other Yukiko Maragidynes, Naoto's shooty super)

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 10, 2012

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Spiffo posted:

edit: nice, that's awesome. Is there a writeup about what it does and does not soak up?

Works on all projectiles, move type doesn't matter at all. Full(?) list on Dustloop: http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?14507-Yukiko-Amagi-Gameplay-Wiki-Data-and-Discussion&p=1370809&viewfull=1#post1370809

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...

Spiffo posted:

I'm told that Yukiko's Dia absorbs projectiles - how well? Does it work against the beam? Other Yukiko fans? Gunshots? This could be a game-changer when fighting Naoto (right now I rely on fan-throw > fire boost until they decide that fire boost is a problem and close the distance themselves)

edit: nice, that's awesome. Is there a writeup about what it does and does not soak up? I mean if it works against Maziodyne, it should work against just about anything.

What about projectile supers? (example: Yu's Ziodyne, other Yukiko Maragidynes, Naoto's shooty super)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENe3q6o7Jw0

Really I don't think this matters much because it's still incredibly unsafe. You might be able to sneak it in a bit I guess, but you probably wouldn't want to be doing that anyway.

edit: Er nevermind it can avoid things like Naoto's instant kills and some supers if you are quick enough maybe. I'll have to try using it like this later.

Latte Lottie fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 10, 2012

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Deviant posted:

Wow, the execution requirements for this game are pretty tight. It is illustrating my flailing nature spectacularly.

XBL: OhGodKillerBees

I feel like the timing requirements are pretty tight, but the requirements on the joystick inputs are actually pretty loose. Is that seem to gel with anyone else's experience?

Vaerai Archon posted:

So My Xbox 360 borked awhile back(which was the system I have a Hori arcade stick for, and contained my fighting games), so I wound up buying this for the PS3.

Now I need an arcade stick for the PS3 because gently caress using d-pads. Are there some relatively good sticks that are also cheap?

There's that MadCatz standard edition WWE Brawl stick on amazon that is $30. That's a really good place to start especially for the price.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...

Antillese posted:

I feel like the timing requirements are pretty tight, but the requirements on the joystick inputs are actually pretty loose. Is that seem to gel with anyone else's experience?

After playing Blazblue for a bit right before this came out I'd say yes much easier on inputs.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So is it just me or does Labrys switch between Boston, New York and New Jersey accents? I havn't heard a character makes accent switches like this since Vanille from FF13.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Anyone have some good Mitsuru tips? I just learned BD spam won't work because it takes away health. :(

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Antillese posted:

Yeah, joystick seems pretty generous. Buttons feel a little tight, but that's probably cause I'm not so used to having pressing sets of 2 buttons for so many different things :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
If anyone's on 360 and wants to fight a true scumbag Teddie (baseball bats all day) feel free to add Flux Sonic. Gotta work on my superjump cancels though.

I also added Personagoons for the metatag benefits.

• Locked thread