Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Marv Hushman posted:

When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging - Will Rogers

Jesus, I know people are in character to some extent, but this jumping straight to the high powered weaponry seems to be a recurring theme here lately.

Might I suggest grabbing a cheap euro milsurp rifle and taking these frustrations out on a paper plate 1-200 yards downrange at your local gun club? Take a Sharpie and draw an HD bar and shield in the center if it makes you feel better. You'll likely find that a) open pipes are like Mantovani compared to being in a line of bolt of action rifles, and b) your paper plate remains unscathed because it's absolutely nothing like Call of Duty.

My local outdoor range only goes out to 400, which is almost a waste of time, but I took your advice.

Just under two inch groups; my years in the USMC were wasted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Chapter 3, in which Pagan and Marv Hushman leave CA for TFR.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pagan posted:

My local outdoor range only goes out to 400, which is almost a waste of time, but I took your advice.

Alright, you'd earned a probation for your extreme fascination with the penises of Harley riders, but you just redeemed yourself.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Pagan posted:

Who said anything about a scope? :)

[googles ballistic motorcycle helmets]

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

http://delaware.craigslist.org/mcy/3182720022.html

Kind of scary actually, that he hit his head in a fall wearing this helmet and thinks it's still good to go, much less sell.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

http://delaware.craigslist.org/mcy/3182720022.html

Kind of scary actually, that he hit his head in a fall wearing this helmet and thinks it's still good to go, much less sell.
I wouldn't expect less from Delaware. The Cycle Gear in Bear is always a riot full of idiots.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

Chapter 3, in which Pagan and Marv Hushman leave CA for TFR.

Who is to say that TFR isn't how I goaded Marv into joining SA?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Pagan posted:

Loving that LOTR Lego set

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Pagan posted:

M1A?

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Yep, and the lego kits are Mines of Moria and Weathertop. I don't have room to store / display them yet, so I haven't assembled them. But soon...

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Pagan posted:

Yep, and the lego kits are Mines of Moria and Weathertop. I don't have room to store / display them yet, so I haven't assembled them. But soon...

Man, you went to Target to buy targets. That was so drat literal.*

* with apologies to Mitch Hedberg.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So to get off topic but thats a M1A right?

And I also read Moon Walking With Enstien. I rather enjoyed it.

SeeYouEnTee
May 5, 2010

Pickle Presenter
Saw this on a forum I frequent:
"Is this just normal wear?"

Apparently not trolling.

:drat:

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Hahaha, does his title say "AMA Supersport Racer" ?

This in Florida?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
How is he hitting the cords after 5,000 miles? :psyduck:

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Pope Mobile posted:

Speedo/Odo on the rear wheel + nothing but burnouts? :wtc:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pope Mobile posted:

Presumably the same way he still has bobbles on the tyres after 5,000 miles - by literally never going around a corner ever.

In fact the bobbles make me think he's trolling, and he's just used that tyre for burnouts or something. Actually, I'd wager money on it by the blistering and graining on the margins - that just doesn't happen in normal circumstances (unless he had the pressures massively out of kilter or something).

SeeYouEnTee
May 5, 2010

Pickle Presenter
:iiam:

It's a shinko tire, he was riding with a passenger. Current theories:
Rubbing on the fender
Locking brake when stopping
Burnouts
Defective tire

I'm leaning towards the last one here's the thread:
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=61537.0

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

SeeYouEnTee posted:

:iiam:

It's a shinko tire, he was riding with a passenger. Current theories:
Rubbing on the fender
Locking brake when stopping
Burnouts
Defective tire

I'm leaning towards the last one here's the thread:
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=61537.0

Well let's all still point and laugh at that 4" chicken strip on the right side of the tyre anyway. My money's still on burnout + trolling personally.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

reddit posted:

I personally don't ride with gloves unless it's cold out. I like the feel of the grips better without them. She's been riding dirt bikes since she was a little kid, so she's been around bikes before, but this is her first street bike.

He just got his gf into riding

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The ATGATT spergery that goes on in reddit is so goddamned annoying.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm convinced that half of /r/motorcycles is a bunch of geeks with money who just finished their MSF class, just bought a brand new Ninja 250, dropped $1k+ on full leathers, and have only been riding for 2 weeks.

You take one look around the real world and most riders are not ATGATT and aren't riding Ninja 250s.

I got nothing against Ninja 250s or ATGATT, but the preachiness and circlejerkiness of it all is really grating.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Don't forget they read "A Twist of the Wrist"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

A Connie forum I belong too just had a guy ask:

quote:

Lets say it's 90-100 Hot & Humid day and you have shorts on :) How bad do you feel the heat on your legs?

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Guinness posted:

I'm convinced that half of /r/motorcycles is a bunch of geeks with money who just finished their MSF class, just bought a brand new Ninja 250, dropped $1k+ on full leathers, and have only been riding for 2 weeks.

You take one look around the real world and most riders are not ATGATT and aren't riding Ninja 250s.

I got nothing against Ninja 250s or ATGATT, but the preachiness and circlejerkiness of it all is really grating.

I make fun of HDforums and their preachiness and circlejerkiness of anti-ATGATT, so I guess it's live and let live, but at least the community is focused on promoting safe riding habits and informed riders. If you ask the same newbie questions at HDforums you are bound to be told to "ditch the lid" in favor of freedom and don't worry about the front brake.

Different circles have their own standards, and it can be annoying, but reddit's is a well-intentioned one.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

I make fun of HDforums and their preachiness and circlejerkiness of anti-ATGATT, so I guess it's live and let live, but at least the community is focused on promoting safe riding habits and informed riders. If you ask the same newbie questions at HDforums you are bound to be told to "ditch the lid" in favor of freedom and don't worry about the front brake.

Different circles have their own standards, and it can be annoying, but reddit's is a well-intentioned one.

I'm just blown away that Reddit isn't the worst place on the internet for at least one thing.

Anyway, another pearler at lunchtime from my tame project manager:

"I always counter-steered and stayed off the throttle when I was leaned right over so I didn't high-side."

Fucker had three years of weekend-only riding ten years ago and so feels amply qualified to tell me how best to ride on my daily commute after 17 years. So, typical project manger then.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
A friend and fellow scooterist also rides motorcycles, and is in a club (no pretenses of 1%ism, just people who ride). I just had this turn up on my Facebook ticker as something he commented on:

Some FB motorcycle guy posted:

So a quick note against side cars. About 25min ago I was riding behind this new scooter and the drat thing had a side car (thinking to myself that it has to be the dumbest thing ever and wanting to get a photo to post here and trying to figure out how I could do that). I'm following him through turns and he's going extremely slowly but I suppress the urge to pass as its early in the morning and the road is a bit twisty (lake view boulevard) and give him his space. Coming out from under the overpass on a tight right turn his side car wheel catches the curb tilting him, he over corrects sending himself in exactly the opposite direction over a median, pops over that gets thrown off and the scooter goes off into a fence. He was luckily wearing most gear (no gloves his hands were kind of bloody) and everyone called 911 including a bus driver who stopped to make sure traffic was blocked off. Crazy... The moral of the story, don't ride scooters...

So a guy who is clearly new at riding a hack crashed, thus you shouldn't ride hacks. Or scooters.

And someone else commented on that post with this:

Some FB motorcycle woman posted:

I'm still terrified of scooters in the same way I fear bicycles--not enough power to escape danger. Poor dude. ATGATT!

Not enough power to escape danger? Are you incapable of planning ahead and avoiding those situations? Are you constantly riding on roads that require you to be at the very top speed of the scooter, and then also not ever thinking ahead?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
That scooter sidecar accident sounds so tragic.

Earlier this week I saw a side car doing a terrible job merging (blindly riding into a line of cars doing 15mph under traffic) in this convergence zone of traffic and morning commute anger.

Months ago I've seen a home-made moped enter the (45mph but everyone does 60) freeway. The dude was wearing a safety vest and business loafers.

Edit:Bonus video of a dude freaking out after getting pulled over

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 10, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Not enough power to escape danger? Are you incapable of planning ahead and avoiding those situations? Are you constantly riding on roads that require you to be at the very top speed of the scooter, and then also not ever thinking ahead?

Acceleration is one of the greatest tactical advantages-- especially regarding planning ahead. By being able to push yourself ahead of traffic flow, you're going to be around less cars and have a lesser overall chance of an accident. That, and there are many situations that require acceleration to get to safety because the alternative of applying brakes / deceleration are not nearly as safe.

I've driven my Volvo 240 for seven years and at least 70,000 miles. It has 80 wheel horsepower on a good day (it's rated at 110BHP at 5500RPM but we all know that's bullshit). There are many examples that have come up when I drive where speed would have put me in a safer position but since it was lacking I was stuck with situations I didn't entirely feel comfortable in.

I don't speed everywhere and because I learned to properly pace traffic with a slow vehicle I definitely do not accelerate everywhere unnecessarily, but horsepower is one of those things that is better to have and not need than need and not have.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
I agree. I definitely feel safer on the motorcycle than I do on a bicycle.

Also, GND - that guys last comment about not riding scooters sounds pretty tongue in cheek to me.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Xovaan posted:

Acceleration is one of the greatest tactical advantages-- especially regarding planning ahead. By being able to push yourself ahead of traffic flow, you're going to be around less cars and have a lesser overall chance of an accident. That, and there are many situations that require acceleration to get to safety because the alternative of applying brakes / deceleration are not nearly as safe.

I've driven my Volvo 240 for seven years and at least 70,000 miles. It has 80 wheel horsepower on a good day (it's rated at 110BHP at 5500RPM but we all know that's bullshit). There are many examples that have come up when I drive where speed would have put me in a safer position but since it was lacking I was stuck with situations I didn't entirely feel comfortable in.

I don't speed everywhere and because I learned to properly pace traffic with a slow vehicle I definitely do not accelerate everywhere unnecessarily, but horsepower is one of those things that is better to have and not need than need and not have.

Which is why I mentioned the bit about "being at the top speed of your scooter." I avoid 55mph roads with traffic so I don't get in these situations. We all talk about riding within your abilities - well, you have to ride within your bike's ability, too.

That said you can still use backwards, left, and right to avoid these situations, too. Alongside a car that isn't keep their line? Well, you can slow down. Line of cars behind you? Pull over. Change lanes. There are lots of options and it's rare that accelerating would be your only salvation.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 10, 2012

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

its it true that you shouldnt have helemt cams?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

max4me posted:

yeah bro it'll break your neck when you crash

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

*Pulled over by cop who isn't a douchebag*
*Let off with verbal*
*Freaks out*
Nice

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Frankston posted:

yeah bro it'll break your neck when you crash

It's true, I've crashed with a gopro hella times. I always broke my neck.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Pope Mobile posted:

*Pulled over by cop who isn't a douchebag*
*Let off with verbal*
*Freaks out*
Nice
That was still BS to pull him over. Notice how the cop was all concerned about if the bike were registered to him? I bet he wanted to see if it were stolen or something.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

max4me posted:

No. At least here in Washington. That officer was wrong and most likely looking for an excuse to pull the kid over, but the kid on the bike was lucky he wasn't ticketed for not having his license.

Washington's RCW defers to the Federal Motor Safety Regs regarding helmets. The Federal Regs (49 C.F.R. Sec. 571.218) only prohibit rigid mounted projections from your lid. Things suctioned or vecroed on shouldn't fall into this category. I would read "rigid" as "bolted on" and you'd have to be an idiot to bolt anything to your helmet.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
The rider in the cop video accused called the cop's actions "fishing". Read on if you're up for 20 pages of intelligent debate.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

max4me posted:

I'm not sure if this is what you were asking but the best argument against helmet cams is that if you get ticketed / arrested / wreck, the prosecuting attorney / opposing insurance could request the footage and then use the inevitable hoonery recorded therein to paint you as a habitual offender, a menacy to society, a ticking time bomb just waiting to t-bone a schoolbus full of disabled kids, and probably a Trotskyite. I don't know if this ever actually happens or if it's pure urban myth, and in theory if you're not at fault having helmet-cam footage could help you, particularly in a wreck where the perpetrator disputes your story or you're knocked out.

Regardless it's probably a bad idea to post your sick wheelying triple-digit run through traffic up on the You Tube on your account with your real name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

When I got my helmet camera I asked a cop if there would be any issues with me wearing it, when I got pulled over, etc. and he said I could do what I want with my stuff and it wouldn't be an issue. This is in Australia though.

• Locked thread