Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Cowslips Warren posted:

I finally found out why. One day when I was alone, he breathed a huge sigh of relief and said our store was the ONLY one he would go to because I worked here, and the 24 hour open locations were staffed by disgusting beasts. He confessed that he used to like G, but, gasp, he caught her one time LICKING her fingers to separate some paper that was not even his order, but another kind of super hard to separate stock. Even if she used the anti-bacterial hand poo poo we had all over the place, that was disgusting in his eyes and he said he made it a point to always glare and look down on her for her disgusting grossness. How dare she lick her fingers for a second, and when I pointed out all the hand sanitizers, he said that didn't matter. She was gross and he would never ever touch her or let her touch his prized thumb drive or papers or even a bag to hold his papers, as the bag touched his hand. He used the word 'disgusting' probably four or more times when describing how icky it was, knowing G touched things that other people touched!

He is 100% correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HistoryMiss
Mar 7, 2012

I used to work in a petrol station (UK...gas to US folks) and most people were great. Except one lady who'd come in. She had the nastiest, oldest, yellowist fingernails ever, all long and curled over with dirt caked under them. She'd pay in copper coins - one and two pences, and they were all green and dirty like she'd just dug them up from a hole in the ground. For about £5 of fuel, that's a LOT of copper coins. And I'd have to hold my hand out so she could count them into my palm, scraping her vile fingernails across my skin each time.

I still shudder at the thought.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

cobalt impurity posted:

If you're worried about germs, hold your payment by the corner or edge so that you won't come into contact with their skin.

Really, if you're worried about germs you shouldn't be handling cash AT ALL. That poo poo is filthier than any cashier's hand unless said cashier is sticking his hands in bottles filled with e coli or something.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
I personally wouldn't want to put money and coupons on the belt at all- too much chance for them to get knocked down and potentially sucked under when the belt rolls under, or buried under the next guy in line's stuff if he's not paying attention, etc.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.
I really don't get this whole fear of accidentally touching someone else's hand. I work behind a cash register and hand money back and forth with people all day and it is vanishingly rare that my hands come in contact with a customer's hands.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Sankis posted:

Really, if you're worried about germs you shouldn't be handling cash AT ALL. That poo poo is filthier than any cashier's hand unless said cashier is sticking his hands in bottles filled with e coli or something.

A lot of the cashiers at the super wal mart a town over wear those plastic gloves. I don't know how often they switch them out for clean ones but jesus the things are almost always black as sin when ever I see them. I know money and coins are dirty but you never really think about it till you see just how dirty.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
I never realized how dirty my hands got working register until one day when I wore a band-aid on my finger after getting scratched by my new kittens. I took that band-aid off at the end of my shift and the contrast was surprising. I always washed my hands a couple times a shift, but now I do it more. Money is gross.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Well tomorrow will be my last day as a Walmart employee. The transfer isn't happening because they hosed around so long getting my paperwork faxed that all the management positions were filled. And I don't feel particularly inclined to go back to part time hours and pay, which would be my only option.

So gently caress em. I have another job lined up anyway (friend is getting me in as an assistant manager at a pool supply place) and I'll be making more than I do now. It's trading one retail hell for another but poo poo, nowhere could possibly be as bad as Walmart anyway.

Now please let some customer get lovely with me tomorrow, I would have so much fun. :haw:

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
I wash my hands all the time at work anyway- I'm touching the floor a lot when i zone the bottom shelves so my hands get dirty and always clean up an extra time on top of the usual before and after I get called to help on registers so only the most paranoid of germophobes have anything to worry about from me. I don't really think I'm alone in doing this, I see other employees washing up all the time too. So while I'm sure there are some that actually are as gross as people fear, for the most part it doesn't strike me as such a huge deal.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Cigarettes are rarely on sale in MA, so no one usually expects it, and I've taken to joking about it to pass the time.

Customer: "Can I get a pack of Camels?"
Me: (jokingly) "Would you like to pay full price or $0.75 less?"
Customer: "What's the difference?"

He wasn't joking.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Went in to work today to find out the only person I dislike in the store, our newer manager, is out until the end of september on medical leave. :v:! I don't wish her illness or anything, but it's great to have her gone for awhile because she is so infuriating to work with.

If I start listing poo poo I know I'll just seem very petty and bitchy, but for a manager she does surprisingly little work! If the head manager isn't at the store, she'll just sit around in the office all day.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Moneyball posted:

Cigarettes are rarely on sale in MA, so no one usually expects it, and I've taken to joking about it to pass the time.

Customer: "Can I get a pack of Camels?"
Me: (jokingly) "Would you like to pay full price or $0.75 less?"
Customer: "What's the difference?"

He wasn't joking.

He probably thought there were two different kinds of packets or something, for you to be offering two different prices.

As far as the money on the counter goes, I think there are cultural differences from place to place as to whether money get's placed in someone's hand or on the counter. Personally, I don't care, and have never met anyone outside of the internet who cares (maybe wanting money handed to you is more of an american thing?) and if you are giving me coins you might as well put them on the counter because it makes it easier for me to count them if there are more than one or two.

I think it's important to make the distinction between someone placing money on the counter, and someone tossing money at you/throwing it down. The former is fine, the latter will lead to me telling you to pick it back up and placing it down nicely like an adult. Cards aren't an issue, because I won't touch a customer's credit card/debit card under any circumstances. Placing money on the conveyor belt is just plain retarded, and I constantly have to tell customers not to do it. Also, it's very annoying when people wave money in my face before I've finished ringing up their purchases.

On Hygiene:

There is a big difference, if only a psychological one, between getting general filth on your hands, and getting someone's bodily fluids on your hands. If you want to lick your fingers to separate papers and stuff in your own home, go right ahead, but people who do it in public, licking their fingers to separate notes before they give them to me, or bags, or papers or whatever are filthy disgusting pigs. As far as I'm concerned slobbering all over something before handing it to me is no different than spitting on me. When a customer does it, I make a big deal of gingerly grabbing the note right in the corner furthest from where their hand was, wiping it down with paper towel, and then sanitising my hands. If I see a coworker doing it I will chew them out big time, and If I was a customer and a cashier was doing it, I'd reprimand them, but I probably wouldn't be bothered escalating it further.

On a related note to all the women out there, your breasts are not in fact an item storage area. They are not an extension of your inventory. This is because items placed there for storage, like money for example, are subject to taking sweat damage.

Finally a pet peeve of mine: When we reach the point in the transaction where I am taking money from you, the accepted procedure is as follows:

1. I tell you how much it comes to.
2. You give me money.
3. I count the money, and put it in the till. If your transaction is under $30 I ask if you want a receipt (pay attention when I'm speaking to you, I get maybe 20 seconds before the register auto selects 'no')
4. I gather your change and receipt and give it to you.
5 . I say 'Thank you, have a nice day'
6. You leave

It really pisses me off when people do a dump and run: Don't just dump your exact change on the counter and try to run off without even letting me scan the item. Don't try to run off as soon as I have scanned your item. Don't try to get me to keep the change, stop being a lazy gently caress and put unwanted coins in a charity box somewhere. Don't run off as soon as my back is turned as I put your money in the till/collect your receipt.

I will say 'Thank you, have a nice day' THAT is the signal! When you hear those words, then, and only then, do you have my permission to leave.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Yes! I hate when people put down the item, I scan it and bag it, they give me their cash and reach OVER the counter to grab their bag and turn to walk off. WE'RE NOT DONE HERE. And people who tell me to "keep the change" are frustrating too. I can't just Keep the change, then my till will be over. And if I pocket it of course I will get in trouble and I can't just leave it sitting on the counter for someone else to pick up, it's against policy. Take the drat coins, it's not that big a deal to have a pocket full of change. Drop it in a charity box or give it to someone on the street, or hand it to the people behind you in line, I don't care, just take it.

Also parents who tell their young children to pay without helping them pay or really giving them any instruction or direction. Half of the time the kid will try to hand me the money without handing me the item. The other half, the kid will hand over the item and immediately start saying "here" "here" "here" trying to hand me a wad of bills before I'm ready to take them. I'll say "Hang on to that for just a second" but they still say "Here!" Then they'll take their bag as soon as I take the money and start walking back to mom (who is waiting all the way over by the door) because they have no concept of the fact that their toy was $5.99 and they handed me a $10 bill.
:argh:

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
Ugh, that used to really piss me off, people who'd just dump some change and leave without so much as a look in my direction. Some even just waved the item at me without breaking step, dropped money and tried to leave, so I'd have to stop them and get an earful about how busy they are.

If I don't want my change, and this is usually only if it's less than 10p, I just take it and drop it in a charity box, most places seem to have at least one. When I worked at a petrol station we had a "take a penny, leave a penny" tray, and I cringe when I think of the number of times I had to explain to a customer exactly what that meant.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

The Lord Bude posted:

On Hygiene:

There is a big difference, if only a psychological one, between getting general filth on your hands, and getting someone's bodily fluids on your hands. If you want to lick your fingers to separate papers and stuff in your own home, go right ahead, but people who do it in public, licking their fingers to separate notes before they give them to me, or bags, or papers or whatever are filthy disgusting pigs. As far as I'm concerned slobbering all over something before handing it to me is no different than spitting on me. When a customer does it, I make a big deal of gingerly grabbing the note right in the corner furthest from where their hand was, wiping it down with paper towel, and then sanitising my hands. If I see a coworker doing it I will chew them out big time, and If I was a customer and a cashier was doing it, I'd reprimand them, but I probably wouldn't be bothered escalating it further.

This is really petty as hell. It doesn't even get the cash wet what so ever and you wipe it down with a drat paper towel? I may not be the politest retail guy in the world or the most friendly but holly poo poo that is just insanely rude there is no way that some one has not complained about that to a manager yet.

I agree on sweaty boob money though, even if it comes from that hot girl that works at the sports bar. Just sweaty money in general. Then again its so rare and money is so dirty any ways I just wipe my hands off on my jeans and go on with my day.

Only time I really use sanitizer is if I see some one cough/sneeze on their hands/money or if I am my self sick and trying my best not to spread my germs to the rest of the town.

Its actually kind of strange. Our take a penny leave a penny thing almost always has more then a dollar in it. People will leave 75 cents and just go off about their day. We use it to cover people that are short, forgot money or something simple. Manager has said its ok to use it ourselves as long as its something from the store to eat or drink.

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 10, 2012

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Long time schadenfreuder lurker and nonretail worker here. You guys can't keep the change? Crap I thought I was being nice.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I'm sure for mom n pop shops extra change isn't a big deal but when you work for corporate and can get in just as much trouble for being $10 over as being $10 under...yeah.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

lostleaf posted:

Long time schadenfreuder lurker and nonretail worker here. You guys can't keep the change? Crap I thought I was being nice.

One of the retail jobs I worked, you would get written up if your till was under, or over, or if they saw you pocketing anything. The security cameras all pointed at the workers and the managers mostly stayed in the office watching the cameras. Three write ups and you'd get fired.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

lostleaf posted:

I always make a big to-do for the camera, and leave the extra coins by my monitor, and offer them as soon as possible to other customers so I don't get in trouble for being off.

At my store, leaving a penny or two is being nice, more than that is a liability for me.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Any discrepancy of $5, that is under or over, gets written up. Leaving the change could eke the cashier ever closer to being fired. I think the justification is that if we're consistently over, we are short-changing the customers and would get a bad reputation or could open ourselves up to some kind of lawsuit or scam or something?

You do realize there is about a 90% chance that the money you're handling has fecal matter on it, right? Yeah, it's a little gross when people do that, but seriously? A paper towel and hand sanitizer? Do you just not have an immune system? If I stopped to make a big production out of every time I had to handle money or use a doorknob or pick up a box that's blackened with dust and warehouse filth, I would never get anything done. I've been working retail for the last 6 years and the only things I've caught from customers were a cold I got when a special needs kid sneezed directly on me and a case of headlice I got from a vagrant that frequented the gas station I worked in. Neither could have been prevented with hand sanitizer, no matter how big of a display I put on about it.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cobalt impurity posted:

Any discrepancy of $5, that is under or over, gets written up. Leaving the change could eke the cashier ever closer to being fired. I think the justification is that if we're consistently over, we are short-changing the customers and would get a bad reputation or could open ourselves up to some kind of lawsuit or scam or something?

The idea is that if you're over, you've been stealing from the customers by nickel and diming them and you just got caught/did the math wrong that day.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Meow Cadet posted:

I always make a big to-do for the camera, and leave the extra coins by my monitor, and offer them as soon as possible to other customers so I don't get in trouble for being off.

At my store, leaving a penny or two is being nice, more than that is a liability for me.

Ah, but you see, leaving those coins by the register is also indicative of stealing! You see, the idea with THAT is that you're running a scam where you intentionally short the customer X cents in their change, and the change by the register is to keep track of that.

Seriously, any discrepancy at all is a writeup? Not even the MANAGERS where I work come out perfect. I don't even come out perfect more than once a week. That's loving ridiculous. Sometimes you miss a penny here or there.

Or what if you find out you had a foreign coin in your drawer? Do they just put it in the deposit? Christ. I don't see how it's possible to ALWAYS come out perfect without meticulously counting every coin you give back, slowing you way down.

Then again, I'm just an idiot.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

In the US, a single coin won't be more than $1, which by itself won't make much notice. I've had foreign money from as far away as Panama come through, and even a few laundry tokens.

Any place that punishes you for anything except a perfect balance is hosed-up though.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I work in the shipping/receiving are of my store. Customers buying large furniture have to get it from me, which leads to many, many, many "MAKE IT FIT IN MY CAR" stories. But my favorite is that a woman came to buy a kitchen island. Her trunk was full and she was picking up her husband right afterwards so it couldn't go on the passenger seat. She has her baby on the backseat. I suggest she come back for it. Instead she unbuckles her infant, sets it on the floor, and tells me to put the island on the backseat.

Parenting is a beautiful thing.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

cobalt impurity posted:

You do realize there is about a 90% chance that the money you're handling has fecal matter on it, right? Yeah, it's a little gross when people do that, but seriously? A paper towel and hand sanitizer? Do you just not have an immune system? If I stopped to make a big production out of every time I had to handle money or use a doorknob or pick up a box that's blackened with dust and warehouse filth, I would never get anything done. I've been working retail for the last 6 years and the only things I've caught from customers were a cold I got when a special needs kid sneezed directly on me and a case of headlice I got from a vagrant that frequented the gas station I worked in. Neither could have been prevented with hand sanitizer, no matter how big of a display I put on about it.

That isn't the point. Spitting on something you're about to hand to someone else is both disgusting and rude as hell, and while I wouldn't quite go so far as to tell a customer that, the purpose of what I do is to ensure the customer knows in no uncertain terms that I find them disgusting and shame them into rethinking what they do in the future. Usually they are too ashamed of themselves to say anything, but the one and only time someone did complain to the manager the manager at the time (who is awesome and takes zero poo poo from anyone) basically turned around and told them that if they did something that disgusting to him he'd probably have done the same thing.

Foreign money: it amazes me that some customers don't understand why I won't accept a foreign coin if I catch it amongst the money they are giving me.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

cobalt impurity posted:

In the US, a single coin won't be more than $1, which by itself won't make much notice. I've had foreign money from as far away as Panama come through, and even a few laundry tokens.

I also had a Panama coin! What's up with that? I ended up, supervised by a manager, trading a dime for it since it looked so cool. Aside from that I've also had what looked to be a spanish euro penny. Canadian coins are really common as well. I always wonder what kind of journey stuff like the panama dime had but in reality it's probably just some tourist who forgot they had non-US money in their pocket.

lostleaf posted:

As everyone else said, yeah. We can't keep poo poo. It's a nice gesture that has the slim potential to get us in poo poo since cashiers are looked on with suspicion because retail is full of people who would have real jobs if they weren't such scum.

On a similar note, most retail jobs also do not let you keep tips. When I was at Walmart, a few times a week I'd be called to help an older customer to their car. Often they'd try to tip me; a really nice gesture but I'd always feel like an rear end in a top hat because I had to keep refusing even if they insisted lest I get caught and face an immediate firing. Retail really wants to give off the impression that they're not as scummy as they are.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 11, 2012

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
In line at the dollar store today with my little hand-basket, and the lady ahead of me had a cart full of poo poo, plus a hand-basket IN the cart full of poo poo too. She unloaded the cart and then set the basket, still full, on the belt, and then stood by the credit card machine with her card out, looking bored as gently caress and sighing when the cashier had to take extra time to clear the basket too.

If I hadn't been in uniform I would have unloaded the hand-basket for the cashier and told the customer how nice and easy and FAST it is when you unload your goddamn poo poo you loving lazy bitch!

But perhaps that's why the cashier just kept smiling. What was slightly irritating was the other line too, where that cashier kept talking over her shoulder to the line I was in, asking over and over "They REALLY put you on the floor and took you off cashiering!" to the cashier I was at. I don't mind and in fact like when cashiers chat but goddamnit don't yell over your shoulder like you're having a conversation!

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I work at Walmart as a cashier, and while they don't let us keep the change, my managers are pretty relaxed about it. We're technically supposed to give all change left by customers to a manager, but every time I did that the manager just said "You don't have to tell me about it, just stick it in the charity bin." I guess they trust us enough to not worry about the possibility of someone taking an entire penny for himself.

I never knew there were places that made such a big deal out of it. As long as you take the change out of the till and don't stick it in your pocket, I don't see why they would make such a big fuss over what never amounts to more than ten or fifteen cents.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

In line at the dollar store today with my little hand-basket, and the lady ahead of me had a cart full of poo poo, plus a hand-basket IN the cart full of poo poo too. She unloaded the cart and then set the basket, still full, on the belt, and then stood by the credit card machine with her card out, looking bored as gently caress and sighing when the cashier had to take extra time to clear the basket too.

If I hadn't been in uniform I would have unloaded the hand-basket for the cashier and told the customer how nice and easy and FAST it is when you unload your goddamn poo poo you loving lazy bitch!

But perhaps that's why the cashier just kept smiling. What was slightly irritating was the other line too, where that cashier kept talking over her shoulder to the line I was in, asking over and over "They REALLY put you on the floor and took you off cashiering!" to the cashier I was at. I don't mind and in fact like when cashiers chat but goddamnit don't yell over your shoulder like you're having a conversation!

I just tell customers they need to unload their basket and place the empty basket on the stack in front of the conveyor belt before I'll serve them.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Speaking of monetary journeys, it amuses me when over the course of a couple weeks, the same exact bills come through my register 2 or 3 times...little identifying marks here and there like signatures, notes, random writing, it all adds up to "Hey, this is the third time I've seen this bill this week!"

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

That reminds me of something else somewhat unrelated. Has anyone else had people using $2 bills more than usual? I hope this is some kind of resurgence in usage because $2 bills are awesome.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Don't wait to tell me you brought your own bags until after I've started bagging your poo poo! Unbagging and rebagging the things I already scanned is a big waste of everyone's time. And of course, they bring bags that are way too big to fit anywhere on my spindle (If I try to sit it on top, the edges hang off, if I try to sit it lower, the bag racks get in the way), and then laugh when you see I'm having difficulties. You are causing me trouble, it's not funny, rudeass! And then these giant bag people never want me to fill the bag all the way up, because then it would be too heavy. If you're not going to use all the space this large, inconvenient bag provides, buy a smaller bag, they're fifty cents!

Also related to bags: I hate it when people walk around to where I'm standing to unload the bags that are still pointed at me like they're a goddamn child. If the bags are pointed at me, I'm probably still loading them, you impatient gently caress! Just wait over there, I will spin them over to you when I'm done with them.

I am so angry about bags.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Sankis posted:

That reminds me of something else somewhat unrelated. Has anyone else had people using $2 bills more than usual? I hope this is some kind of resurgence in usage because $2 bills are awesome.

It comes in waves. I'll go weeks without seeing a single one, then get two or three per day for a week. Baffles the bank tellers just as much.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I am so angry about bags.

I'm a bicyclist, and I usually shop with my bicycle. My bicycle has large saddle bags on it. I honestly push my bicycle through the store while I shop so I know how much I can buy (plus I don't want my $800 bike stolen). I'm always surprised at how irritated cashiers get when I say "no bag" so I can just stuff them back in. Honestly it just seems ground into their souls to bag things, and changing that just throws them into a spiral.

edit: Before anyone gets any misconceptions, it's not that I'm holding up their line repacking my own crap. I just throw everything in without concern as fast as it's handed off to me.

Liar fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 11, 2012

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

Sankis posted:

On a similar note, most retail jobs also do not let you keep tips. When I was at Walmart, a few times a week I'd be called to help an older customer to their car. Often they'd try to tip me; a really nice gesture but I'd always feel like an rear end in a top hat because I had to keep refusing even if they insisted lest I get caught and face an immediate firing. Retail really wants to give off the impression that they're not as scummy as they are.
I up until recently worked in a store that had this policy. Unless you're a complete moron and go right up to your manager and say you got a tip, there is literally no way you can get in trouble for getting a tip if you don't say anything. I used to take tips all the time and never once got in trouble for it.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

First couple of times I refused tips then I said gently caress it and started taking them.

Speaking of odd coins to come through. This week alone I have gotten one from South Korea one from Negara Malaysia and today a extremely traveled silver buffalo nickel. thing has so much worn the date is completely gone and most of the details are gone. Still how often do you get a buffalo nickel in a drawer?

Reason why I think most forgain currency is neat is because I live in bum gently caress texas. No air ports, no buses no travel points what so ever. Its nothing but oil and cotton as far as the eye can see. How the heck did I get a coin from South Korea and Malaysia.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Liar posted:

I'm a bicyclist, and I usually shop with my bicycle. My bicycle has large saddle bags on it. I honestly push my bicycle through the store while I shop so I know how much I can buy (plus I don't want my $800 bike stolen). I'm always surprised at how irritated cashiers get when I say "no bag" so I can just stuff them back in. Honestly it just seems ground into their souls to bag things, and changing that just throws them into a spiral.

edit: Before anyone gets any misconceptions, it's not that I'm holding up their line repacking my own crap. I just throw everything in without concern as fast as it's handed off to me.

What pisses me off is when somebody (usually a woman) buys something small that they can stick in a bag or a purse. When I ask if they want a bag (hoping they'll say no and just stick it in their bag, saving the store 2 cents; seriously, we care about this poo poo), they say yes. Then they stick said bag with said small object into their purse. :psyduck:

I LIKE when people don't want bags. Saves me a couple seconds. I also don't like when people say "Can you double-bag that for me, I don't want everything falling out in the parking lot." Bitch, people regularly buy these nice three-liter bottles of soda and I regularly bag them with ONE bag, and guess what? I have NEVER seen one break open in the parking lot. If I feel it needs to be double-bagged, I'll double-bag it. Trust me when I say I know the limits of the bags we use, mmkay? :fuckoff:

Oh, and if you're really that worried about it, I've got reusables hanging next to my head, only a dollar each! And they're a hell of a lot stronger than the plastic bags.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

D34THROW posted:

I also don't like when people say "Can you double-bag that for me, I don't want everything falling out in the parking lot."

Oh gently caress I'd forgotten this hell. My first job was working a store where most of the shoppers were senior citizens. It didn't matter what the hell they were buying it had to be a paper bag inside of a plastic bag, and no bag could weigh more than a candy bar. I used to grind my teeth over some people.

My other big pet-peeve, people who dig through the milk in search of the one that will last one more day than the rest. This is a place that sells a LOT of milk. None of it sits there for more than a couple days. But people still tear it apart. A GALLON OF MILK LASTS LIKE TWO drat WEEKS! If you can't finish a gallon of milk in two weeks then don't buy a full gallon!

I used to intentionally stock from the front since I knew people would always go for the back, thinking it'd be freshest.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
I have the opposite problem. Our bags are very weak thin plastic and don't hold a lot of weight. So I'm used to putting some stuff in to the weight limit but not full capacity of the bags. All the time customers will say "Oh, put it all in the same bag." or "Fill it up!" Usually I'll warn them the bag won't hold but if they're rude or insist I fill the bag, I enjoy a good laugh when they get halfway to the door and the bag handle rips. We sell toys and nothing is really fragile so I don't feel bad one bit when someone's bag breaks after they tell me to keep filling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

loving really? I looked over from my register and saw some one dump a cooler of water into the trash can. What the ever loving gently caress is wrong with you. It's water dump it on the street not in a loving trash can to make a heavy smelly mess that will get all over the place when you take out the bag. What part of your mind is so broken you think water goes in a trash can.