Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Just as a general question: How difficult was it for you all to transition to Taiwan permanently for the first time?

Did you pack a whole lot (as in, more than two big suitcases plus carry-on)? Did you need to have anything shipped from home to Taiwan? Did you buy most of your furnishings locally while getting set up in Taiwan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Oh, hey, how is the light pollution in Taipei? Is anyone going out to see the Perseids on Saturday night?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

OrangeGuy posted:

Just as a general question: How difficult was it for you all to transition to Taiwan permanently for the first time?

Did you pack a whole lot (as in, more than two big suitcases plus carry-on)? Did you need to have anything shipped from home to Taiwan? Did you buy most of your furnishings locally while getting set up in Taiwan?

Been in Taiwan for 6 years now. I came over with a few suitcases of clothes and a laptop, and that was about it. Most apartments I've seen here come furnished, so that's not a worry. Mostly everything you need is here, the rest is just creature comforts you can easily pick up in stores.

It was only two years later that I started bringing back my nerdy stuff (Warhammer, D&D) stuff back to Taiwan when I started meeting other foreigners into that stuff.

Currently on vacation in America for another 2 weeks or so, bringing back some more nerdy stuff to Taiwan!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
What Ravendas said. I moved to Korea right out of college and took a suitcase of suits and a laptop. Did the same thing when I came to Taiwan. My apartment came furnished and I've never really liked having stuff. Over the years, I've accumulated quite the Battletech collection, though.

Anyone want to play some Battletech?

DontAskKant posted:

Imminent Arrival

Oh, poo poo, I didn't realize you meant like show up today. Are you going to be here next weekend? I have plans tonight. gently caress.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Haraksha posted:

Oh, poo poo, I didn't realize you meant like show up today. Are you going to be here next weekend? I have plans tonight. gently caress.

I'll be here till Sunday at noon so I can be free for Saturday. I literally have no plans. My biggest goal is to get a collection of websites to look over while on the bus to the airport and find a hostel just for tonight. I posted all over couchsurfing, but haven't made requests there yet. Are Taiwanese guys as awful as Korean guys are? I might start asking for a couch from some of the women on the site if that is the case.

Easy enough to get around by train or bus? I have a guy offering me a couch in Taichung, is that a city that is worth while?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's super easy to get around by bus (knowing routes can be tricky, but they mostly have English displays), MRT (subway), and HSR (High Speed Rail). Train is a bit trickier because the signage isn't consistently in English. Taichung is easily reached by HSR.

It's the city without any bars because of the lovely reactionary local government.

Why don't you shoot me an email at my user name at gmail since I don't have PMs.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Crap, do you guys really use 110V? It's easy and cheap to get the outlet transformers right?

This is still the foreigner hotline right? 0-800-024-111 If I am calling with Skype do you omit the 0 so it is just 886-800-024-111

DontAskKant fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 11, 2012

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
There is a big party tonight at an all you can drink bar.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

There is a big party tonight at an all you can drink bar.

Oooh, that may be great because it would appear that all of the hostels are booked tonight. :(

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Sounds like a plan. See my email.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

OrangeGuy posted:

I showed up here with one big suitcase (which was half-full of sans-monitor computer), one backpack, and a box of books I shipped over for work. Every apartment I've ever rented has come fully (or mostly) furnished, and apartments like that are a piece of cake to find, usually. At one place we needed to buy a washer/dryer, coffee table, and TV, but for that stuff there are easy ways and places to get it second-hand.

DontAskKant posted:

Oh, hey, how is the light pollution in Taipei?
It's not as bad as Hong Kong, but it's still not great.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Like the others I came over 9 or so years ago with a suitcase. Over the years I've lived in furnished apartments but have since moved into an incredible place that I've furnished myself and realize that I'll be living here for quite some time.

15k/month for 70ping (2400sqft) with a balcony facing a permanent park. Life is good.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Wait where do you live

I pay half as much for an apartment 1/10th the size in Yonghe, a little dumpy studio and now I'm jealous

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Kaohsiung! Girlfriends family purchased a couple different apartments so we're getting a half price deal.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I like to traveling world and take pictures of.

thegoat posted:

Like the others I came over 9 or so years ago with a suitcase. Over the years I've lived in furnished apartments but have since moved into an incredible place that I've furnished myself and realize that I'll be living here for quite some time.

15k/month for 70ping (2400sqft) with a balcony facing a permanent park. Life is good.

Yes! So looking forward to this. I'm moving to Taiwan in two weeks from Tokyo.

I pay ~73k/month for 52m^2 (559sqft) here.

I'll be coming with two suitcases of clothes, a laptop, and I'll be shipping my desktop computer over in advance. New accommodations are furnished.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Thanks for inviting me out T-goons it was great fun. Plan is to go to Hualin for Monday and Tuesday then Tianan for Wednesday and Thursday. Then back to Taipei. Any suggestions?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

DontAskKant posted:

it was great fun

I have no memory of anything after approximately 2am - mission accomplished I'd say.

Hit me up when you get to back to Taipei - I'm down for dinner and drinks

dtb posted:

I'll be coming with two suitcases of clothes, a laptop, and I'll be shipping my desktop computer over in advance. New accommodations are furnished.

I"m paying 18+3 for around for 25~30 ping/100~ sqft, but i"m not central Taipei.

Yank the internals from the desktop unless the case really means that much to you.
Cases are cheap, as are power supplies.
I carried motherboard/ram/gfx/HDD's when I came.
Screens aren't horrendous either.
I think I got my 24" acer for 8KNT$

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

url posted:

..Yank the internals from the desktop unless the case really means that much to you.
Cases are cheap, as are power supplies.
I carried motherboard/ram/gfx/HDD's when I came.
Screens aren't horrendous either.
I think I got my 24" acer for 8KNT$

8-core Xeon Mac Pro.
See profile picture for desktop setup of your dreams.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

dtb posted:

8-core Xeon Mac Pro.
See profile picture for desktop setup of your dreams.

I do like a nice desktop setup myself, and yeah, if you can afford the shipping you may as well, since replacing that lot won't be cheap.

I haven't shipped my rack kit yet, I should be able to in the next few weeks.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

i'm shipping from Tokyo so it should be too bad, it's not New York or anything.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Haraksha posted:

Seriously through, out of all the Asian countries you could visit, Taiwan is the worst as far as food is concerned.

Worse than Korea? I find it difficult to believe that anywhere Chinese people went could possibly be like this. :colbert:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

Worse than Korea? I find it difficult to believe that anywhere Chinese people went could possibly be like this. :colbert:

What are you talking about?

Korea has loving amazing food. There's some weird rear end poo poo there (live octopus, fermented cocoons, live fish), but the basic Korean meal is way more interesting than anything I see day to day in Taiwan.

Korean BBQ is something I could literally eat every day. I like the dishes I got at Korean-Chinese restaurants better than a lot of the stuff I eat that's genuinely Chinese (but Fusion dishes are almost always awesome). Kimbap is one of the greatest snacks on the planet. The few times I've had it in Taiwan haven't even come close to the quality that even Family Mart sold there.

Korean soups are out of this world. Doenjjang jjigae remains one of my favorite dishes in the entire world. This is what Korean restaurants typically serve in place of the ubiquitous corn soup in Taiwan. It's not even fair to compare them.

url posted:

I have no memory of anything after approximately 2am - mission accomplished I'd say.

Brad and I kept the flame alive until about 5am. I'm surprised you remember all the way until 2, to be honest.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm with you on Korean BBQ but in the realm of Asian cuisines I'm familiar with, Korean is absolutely on the bottom. I'm so sick of all of it and the lack of creativity and no flavor range and argh.

The day I found an actual no poo poo non-Koreanized Chinese restaurant in my town was the greatest day ever.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I think it's easy to miss my point as well. There is good food to be found in Taiwan, but the stuff that's really Taiwanese just isn't that interesting to me (outside of the weird poo poo like fried bees). The stuff here that I consider to be really loving good is Japanese, Korean, Thai, Chinese, or some mix of those.

Chinese food is great. I'm just not going to send someone to Taiwan to get a plate of Kung Pao Chicken. Though Taiwan might be a stop for sushi because the prices here are pretty reasonable. There's a dude at the local market who gives me like three servings of sashimi for 150NT when I go there.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

Brad and I kept the flame alive until about 5am. I'm surprised you remember all the way until 2, to be honest.

Pro you.

In my defense I started on the sauce around 4pm after I got home from Chinese class.
Yesterday was no fun.

Haraksha posted:

fried bees

I will not rest until I discover this to be a true thing.

url fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 13, 2012

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm just happy that we all realize how unattractive we are and nobody makes us pose for photos.

Also, gang-pressing TetsuoTW onto the dance floor was easily the highlight of the night.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Haraksha posted:

Though Taiwan might be a stop for sushi because the prices here are pretty reasonable. There's a dude at the local market who gives me like three servings of sashimi for 150NT when I go there.
Let's go.

Url, fried bees in wulai on Friday or Saturday?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

I'm just happy that we all realize how unattractive we are and nobody makes us pose for photos.

Also, gang-pressing TetsuoTW onto the dance floor was easily the highlight of the night.

drat!

DontAskKant posted:

Let's go.

Url, fried bees in wulai on Friday or Saturday?

You've got PM

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Dear hostel, thanks for the lack of information on this tour package I paid for. I guess I'll just stowaway on this Chinese tour bus. Not exactly sure where I am going. Wooooo!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well, if you happen to be back in the Taipei area sometime this week or weekend, we do stuff in my little corner of the world, like sushi and microbrews.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

Well, if you happen to be back in the Taipei area sometime this week or weekend, we do stuff in my little corner of the world, like sushi and microbrews.

Hmmmmmn, microbrews, screw the new guy I'm interested.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
If you can make it to Tucheng (Haishan Station), let me know.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Haraksha posted:

Korean soups are out of this world. Doenjjang jjigae remains one of my favorite dishes in the entire world. This is what Korean restaurants typically serve in place of the ubiquitous corn soup in Taiwan. It's not even fair to compare them.

The most important question, though, is: Can you get Sam Gae Tang in Taiwan?

I went to Korea for 1 1/2 weeks and I loving loved Sam Gae Tang. It's so delicious!

I still miss it now. :sigh:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

OrangeGuy posted:

The most important question, though, is: Can you get Sam Gae Tang in Taiwan?

I went to Korea for 1 1/2 weeks and I loving loved Sam Gae Tang. It's so delicious!

I still miss it now. :sigh:

There are Korean restaurants with relatively authentic cuisine, but expect to pay 3-4x what you would in Korea if they do have it.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

$1000 for 삼계탕? Oh my heavens, I must clutch my pearls. Heading up to Taipei because I had gently caress all of an idea about what to do in Hualien by myself. Missed the 2 hour train though and now stuck with no seats on the 3 hour train. Am I allowed to stand in the air conditioned car or am I destined to soak this shirt all the way through?

I'll be in Taipei tonight and then again on Friday, if this guy in Taichung doesn't flake on me. The plan is to do sun moon lake on Thursday.

I am down for sushi and brews. Is that Saturday or Friday. I want to get out to Wulai one of those days.

Things I want to buy here (thinking a grocery store is probably best) and I need some suggestions :
Loose leaf tea. Black, oolong, green
Booze, what do you recommend
Dry sausages
Deodorant (its actually cheaper here)
What else do I need, looking at you Hakasa, if you had to go back to Korea what do you buy.
Might try to smuggle some fruit too.
My own tapioca pearls or can I just make those at home.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Is it sad that the biggest temptation for me to just head to Taiwan for work is bubble tea?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Is it sad that the biggest temptation for me to just head to Taiwan for work is bubble tea?
No. Tea shops are pretty awesome, and some have other sorts of bits in them, like aloe jelly and stuff, there's the fruit teas like passion fruit whatevers, and they're all cheeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaapppp.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

DontAskKant posted:

I am down for sushi and brews. Is that Saturday or Friday. I want to get out to Wulai one of those days.

Things I want to buy here (thinking a grocery store is probably best) and I need some suggestions :
Loose leaf tea. Black, oolong, green
Booze, what do you recommend
Dry sausages
Deodorant (its actually cheaper here)
What else do I need, looking at you Hakasa, if you had to go back to Korea what do you buy.
Might try to smuggle some fruit too.
My own tapioca pearls or can I just make those at home.

If I were going to Korea, I'd get deodorant like you said. I'd also find a big loving bottle of the best single malt scotch for the price I could. Other than that, the things I'd want in Korea aren't exactly that available in Taiwan. The things I missed there were more generic and anything that would fit in a suitcase would just be a bandaid. It's not like you can bring back frozen waffles, but I guess you could grab a box of Waffle Crisp before you go.

Brews and sushi can be a Friday thing.

Sanxia is far away and the sashimi isn't that great. It's just a large quantity for a low price. However, there is also an awesome meat on a stick vendor next to the fish. Mad Carl can vouch for the quality of the food there.

Plan A: Meet me in Tucheng sometime in the evening for just beer. This is the simplest plan.
Plan B: Get to Sanxia sometime after 6:00 PM and get various street foods with me. Then, we head back up to Tucheng for beers. Tucheng is not Taipei, but it's a lot closer than I am.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Haraksha posted:

It's not like you can bring back frozen waffles, but I guess you could grab a box of Waffle Crisp before you go.

We've had frozen waffles for months now.

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Is the Mountain Dew still awful?