Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

TUSR posted:

All the ram is soldered in, and the batteries are glued. I read that iFixit said it will cost ~500$ to replace the batteries. Short answers: no, its all stuck in there. Have to pony up for Apple care, but even then, when your batteries are towards the end of their life Apple won't replace them for free.

Battery replacement is US$200 (AUS$229.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TUSR
Aug 10, 2012

~Coxy posted:

Battery replacement is US$200 (AUS$229.)

Ah sorry to mislead, I was working off information from: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2408290,00.asp

quote:

While many pieces can be replaced with screwdrivers, elbow grease, and maybe some willpower, some will inevitably need to be sent to a third party, which could cost upwards of $500 for something like a battery replacement, iFixit said.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

Devian666 posted:

What sort of condition is typical for what arrives. Roughly a ratio of clean-ish internals versus the clogged vents and full of mice laptops.

To be honest, most of the MacBooks I work on are somewhat clean. Granted, I worked on one on Monday that was a veritable hairball radiating from the fan outlets. Even on a brand new MacBook, run something like Temperature Monitor and watch the core and GPU temps fly through the roof.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
There are MBPs without soldered in ram and drives. The MBP retina and the Air are the only ones without. A normal 13 or 15" MBP will have replacable ram and drives.
None of them have replacable batteries. However, replacing it will cost $129 (source)
You can buy third party batteries as well, but I wouldn't trust them.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I remember the Time Capsule hard drive had a reputation for failing, but that was a few years ago.

I think that issue was with power supplies.

quote:

An AE + external is upgradable and will save me some money, but might be a hassle.

Unfortunately not supported for Time Machine.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Not supported, but does still work.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Wild EEPROM posted:

There are MBPs without soldered in ram and drives. The MBP retina and the Air are the only ones without. A normal 13 or 15" MBP will have replacable ram and drives.
None of them have replacable batteries. However, replacing it will cost $129 (source)
You can buy third party batteries as well, but I wouldn't trust them.

The question was about MBPs with Retina screens, not just MBPs in general.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
I can safely say that I'm worried about the future of personal computers if this is to become a thing. Integrated components will be the death of an entire industry. Imagine a world in which we can't swap parts out, upgrade components, and local repair shops are a thing of the past.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

isomerc posted:

I can safely say that I'm worried about the future of personal computers if this is to become a thing. Integrated components will be the death of an entire industry. Imagine a world in which we can't swap parts out, upgrade components, and local repair shops are a thing of the past.

Luckily it's already blown up in Apple's face at least once with the energy requirements for governmental purchasing. It's dumb and bad and stupid all the way down, really.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

isomerc posted:

The improvement in design, portability, and battery life are worth the trade.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Arivia posted:

Luckily it's already blown up in Apple's face at least once with the energy requirements for governmental purchasing. It's dumb and bad and stupid all the way down, really.

They're actually back on the EPEAT listings with all their products, including the rMBP.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

TUSR posted:

All the ram is soldered in, and the batteries are glued. I read that iFixit said it will cost ~500$ to replace the batteries. Short answers: no, its all stuck in there. Have to pony up for Apple care, but even then, when your batteries are towards the end of their life Apple won't replace them for free.

I absolutely detest the fact that if this spreads to the whole line, I'll be forced to start using hackintoshes.

The reality is I'm a clumsy oval office who's killed one laptop from beer (trip over cat, beer flies across room), and have an ongoing dispute with apple over the recent one (they claim liquid damage despite it being proved by two separate repair guys that there are no liquid sensors tripped and the damage was from a faulty ribbon cable, either way, warranty "cancelled" despite cancelling warranties being illegal under australian law). Either way, warranties haven't been worth the paper they have been If I can't hand repair my mac, I can't buy it, its as simple as that.

This is a loving pigheaded and stupid way to treat loyal customers.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

The improvement in design, portability, and battery life are worth the trade.

Because none of these improve the design, portability or battery life (What is the battery sucking adhesive power from the glue and magicing it into power?. Does a 2mm clip really wreck portability? We can safely disregard design, its bad design, so .... uh what then?) , this is a fundamentally untrue assertion.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Yeast posted:

Not supported, but does still work.

It's a *lot* slower than the Time Machine, though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shmoogy posted:

They're actually back on the EPEAT listings with all their products, including the rMBP.

Oh god. :cry:

duck monster: no, but clips do mean less space for the battery itself or other things. Compare a traditional SATA laptop interface to the vestigial connectors used in the rMBP and the current MBA; Apple engineers the hell out of their laptop (well, everything, really) interiors to try and make everything fit as best as possible, so I can see why they would want to cut down on as much inner cruft in the space to prefer greater performance overall.

It's problematic for its side-effects, but the basic goal is understandably sane.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

duck monster posted:

Because none of these improve the design, portability or battery life (What is the battery sucking adhesive power from the glue and magicing it into power?. Does a 2mm clip really wreck portability? We can safely disregard design, its bad design, so .... uh what then?) , this is a fundamentally untrue assertion.

To be fair, things like contacts and connectors that can make something user replacable adds both weight and girth to anything. When you're mashing stuff as close together as they're doing with those things, it adds up to make a difference. Personally, I think it's still bullshit and would be more than willing to trade the extra 2 mm thickness or whatever for being able to work on it, but that's the decision they made.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

duck monster posted:

Non-user serviceable parts enable the manufacturer to either reduce the size of the case or fill more of the case with battery. When engineers start asking questions like "Does a 2mm clip really wreck portability?" we end up with poo poo like this:

"For just another 2mm we can add a parallel port!"

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

isomerc posted:

I'm borrowing from John Siracusa here, but consider this: the same de-user-replacability process has been happening in vehicles for the last 20 years. Engines are becoming more and more sealed up, and hostile to the everyday repair process. Yet it's surely no coincidence that vehicles have become ever cheaper and ever more reliable as this has taken place.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

2mm here, 2mm there...

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lexicon posted:

I'm borrowing from John Siracusa here, but consider this: the same de-user-replacability process has been happening in vehicles for the last 20 years. Engines are becoming more and more sealed up, and hostile to the everyday repair process. Yet it's surely no coincidence that vehicles have become ever cheaper and ever more reliable as this has taken place.

Agree 100%.

TUSR
Aug 10, 2012
I hate to do this, but on the last page I had a question that Id like people to look into, must have been glazed over because it was my first post or something.

TUSR posted:

I was wondering if anyone here has heard about using iTunes Connect VIP store for a discount. Ive seen one of my friends make a free iBooks publishing account and in about a months time he was given access to the VIP store in which he got ~20% off of items. (Including his new Retina Pro)

So my question is, has anyone heard or have done this method before?

Im about 22 days into the approval process for access to the VIP store.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TUSR posted:

I hate to do this, but on the last page I had a question that Id like people to look into, must have been glazed over because it was my first post or something.

Im about 22 days into the approval process for access to the VIP store.

I think Apple offers that to developers who are enriching their platform, as a thank you and to encourage use of their latest technologies.

I don't think Apple offers that so freeloaders can save 20% without contributing anything back to the ecosystem.

I doubt anyone ignored your question for any reason other than that.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010

Lexicon posted:

I have a MBA I got a few months ago. Prior to that, most of my life I had been a PC user. My first computers were desktops that I could as a teenager, geek out and read how to upgrade on the internet myself. At a fraction of the retail cost for those parts as the sum of their whole. I see what Apple is doing from a business standpoint, the Genius bar and proprietary information is in place to ensure consumers don't try and repair things themselves, and realize they don't need to pay $500 for some ram or an SSD upfront when buying the machine. They have the weight in the industry to experiment in a way that someone like Toshiba or Acer or Dell can't - not through a place like Best Buy. Soldering components in is sacrilegious to tech people, and upgradeability used to be a selling point on a lot of machines.

Keep in mind, I never hosed around with trying to upgrade a laptop- since that is much more limited to just RAM or harrddrive or what have you.

But I have to disagree with the assertion that the soldering was necessary for the design and compactness of the rMBP. Why? Mainly because they also did it to the MBA refresh, which gave their motive away. If they haven't already - they are moving towards an anti-DIY client base and want their customers depending on a Genius, buying high margin Applecare, and visiting their retail location repeatedly for help. It's a solid strategy and has been in place for a long time now, it is just more obvious with this soldering. Unless there is a giant backlash or outcry, it will continue down to all of their machines. Perhaps they will even have a dissolver for the glue, but only available at the Apple Store, much like the special screwdrivers they have now. The idea isn't to make it impossible to upgrade (although that is a nice selling point when buying your machine, in addition to the One-To-One, at least they are nice about giving you 1 year for Applecare, for now), it's to make it impossible to cut them out and use a less expensive SSD.

TUSR
Aug 10, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

I think Apple offers that to developers who are enriching their platform, as a thank you and to encourage use of their latest technologies.

I don't think Apple offers that so freeloaders can save 20% without contributing anything back to the ecosystem.

I doubt anyone ignored your question for any reason other than that.

No that was more so me passing my first post off as a joke.

I had a friend who made a free iBooks account to publish free books. Then in about a months time he was approved for the VIP store in which he gets ~20% off of products.

Ill ask him for a screenshot of the store and his account status to prove it.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

I have a MBA I got a few months ago. Prior to that, most of my life I had been a PC user. My first computers were desktops that I could as a teenager, geek out and read how to upgrade on the internet myself. At a fraction of the retail cost for those parts as the sum of their whole. I see what Apple is doing from a business standpoint, the Genius bar and proprietary information is in place to ensure consumers don't try and repair things themselves, and realize they don't need to pay $500 for some ram or an SSD upfront when buying the machine. They have the weight in the industry to experiment in a way that someone like Toshiba or Acer or Dell can't - not through a place like Best Buy. Soldering components in is sacrilegious to tech people, and upgradeability used to be a selling point on a lot of machines.

Keep in mind, I never hosed around with trying to upgrade a laptop- since that is much more limited to just RAM or harrddrive or what have you.

But I have to disagree with the assertion that the soldering was necessary for the design and compactness of the rMBP. Why? Mainly because they also did it to the MBA refresh, which gave their motive away. If they haven't already - they are moving towards an anti-DIY client base and want their customers depending on a Genius, buying high margin Applecare, and visiting their retail location repeatedly for help. It's a solid strategy and has been in place for a long time now, it is just more obvious with this soldering. Unless there is a giant backlash or outcry, it will continue down to all of their machines. Perhaps they will even have a dissolver for the glue, but only available at the Apple Store, much like the special screwdrivers they have now. The idea isn't to make it impossible to upgrade (although that is a nice selling point when buying your machine, in addition to the One-To-One, at least they are nice about giving you 1 year for Applecare, for now), it's to make it impossible to cut them out and use a less expensive SSD.

This is a stretch, at best. I highly doubt Apple's design decisions are being driven by a desire to bolster AppleCare sales and force trips to see a Genius. That sounds totally paranoid.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TUSR posted:

No that was more so me passing my first post off as a joke.

I had a friend who made a free iBooks account to publish free books. Then in about a months time he was approved for the VIP store in which he gets ~20% off of products.

Ill ask him for a screenshot of the store and his account status to prove it.

Good for him. I hope his books do well.

Are you a developer/publisher?

TUSR
Aug 10, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

Good for him. I hope his books do well.

Are you a developer/publisher?

The thing is, he has provided no content to the store.

Im actually working on a free book for university students being introduced to the Mac platform and the Apple ecosystem.

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/04/12/apple-introduces-vip-discounts-for-ibooks-publishers/

quote:

Apple appears to be offering rather hefty discounts to some (possibly all) iBooks publishers as part of a new iTunes VIP program. Information is still developing on this front.

Made available through iTunes Connect, these discounts appear to be exclusive to the iBooks program. Discounts range from $500 off the base Mac Pro down to $60 off the base mini.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
ONEMANWOLFPACK, have you looked at a tear down of a rMBP/MBA/Mini? That glue over latches is that important because there is that little space in them. The tolerances are incredibly tight. If you compare the rMBP and the other 2012 MBP it makes sense to glue the batteries in because that gluing directly results in Apple being able to redesign and narrow the chassis. It's not money-grubbing paranoia, it's artifice in the best sense.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TUSR posted:

The thing is, he has provided no content to the store.

Im actually working on a free book for university students being introduced to the Mac platform and the Apple ecosystem.

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/04/12/apple-introduces-vip-discounts-for-ibooks-publishers/

Well that's pretty cool.

On that note, I don't know anything about the VIP program.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Arivia posted:

ONEMANWOLFPACK, have you looked at a tear down of a rMBP/MBA/Mini? That glue over latches is that important because there is that little space in them. The tolerances are incredibly tight. If you compare the rMBP and the other 2012 MBP it makes sense to glue the batteries in because that gluing directly results in Apple being able to redesign and narrow the chassis. It's not money-grubbing paranoia, it's artifice in the best sense.
The Mac mini has two standard drive bays and RAM slots :eng101:. It's not like the MBA/MBPR (...yet :ohdear:)

Jealous Cow posted:

On that note, I don't know anything about the VIP program.
This is probably why there haven't been responses, the VIP store/discount just doesn't seem to be common knowledge.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I really wonder what's going to happen with the MacPro.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jealous Cow posted:

I really wonder what's going to happen with the MacPro.

Tim did say there were going to be updates in 2013 at WWDC, IIRC.

japtor: sure, the Mini has standard bays but you're still layering hard disks on top of each other and pulling the logic board out to get stuff to fit. It's not completely proprietary, but you can definitely see how the form factor influences the internals. It's a good example.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
After its AppleCare recently expired, I've come to realize that it might be time to retire my mid-2009 13" MBP. It's still in good shape, just starting to show its age is all. :unsmith: Since I can't afford a rMBP and don't really need the fancy display, I'm considering a Macbook Air.

I seldom have more than 20 tabs open in Google Chrome -- this is probably the most intensive thing I do -- but I'm thinking of installing Parallels and Windows 7 just so I can cut the umbilical cord from my crappy XP desktop. With that in mind, I'm considering the 13" high-end Macbook Air with 8 GB RAM, and I might throw in the 2.0GHz i7 since it's only $94 more.

Advice on any of this is appreciated, but I'm most interested in hearing about the Air's SSDs. Is the Samsung SSD (256 GB) that much better than the Toshiba (128 GB)? Truthfully, if this isn't the case I'll probably just grab the 13" low-end Air with the RAM upgrade (unless someone vouches for the i7?).

Thanks, goons. :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the Air will act as my main (and only) computer.

Thunder Bear fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 10, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Glenn posted:

Advice on any of this is appreciated, but I'm most interested in hearing about the Air's SSDs. Is the Samsung SSD (256 GB) that much better than the Toshiba (128 GB)? Truthfully, if this isn't the case I'll probably just grab the 13" low-end Air with the RAM upgrade (unless someone vouches for the i7?).

The benchmarks will show big differences between the drives, but will you notice? If I'm installing some huge program from a DMG I can tell my 2011 Air (with the slow Toshiba drive)

The 2012 drives use new drives from both Toshiba (Sandforce) and Samsung (830). The Toshiba is faster in compressible data tests, and the Samsung is faster in non-compressible tests.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I feel pushed for space on a dedicated Windows laptop with a 128GB drive - if you want parallels then I'd want more space

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

The 13" Air is an incredible machine.

While the Toshiba drive has its quirks any modern SSD is going to blow the absolute poo poo out of any platter drive.

I have the Toshiba drive (and the LG LCD, which is also something the Macrumors people go on about but I can't see anything wrong with it) and Photoshop cold launches in 4 seconds.

It's pretty amazing.

TUSR
Aug 10, 2012
If anyone is interested in the possibility of Retina across all Mac platforms, take a look at this.

http://uk.hardware.info/news/29388/intel-haswell-gpu-chip-3x-faster-than-ivy-bridge-gpu

quote:

Sources of Fudzilla claim that Intel's upcoming Haswell processor will have an integrated GPU that is three times as fast as the current HD 4000 GPU, present in the Ivy Bridge chips. Confidential roadmaps have shown a comparison from which this conclusion was drawn. The fourth generation of the Core architecture and Intel's latest tick promises exceptionally fast 3D performance. Converting video material will allegedly also be twice to three times as fast.

If the rumours are true, Intel's Haswell could potentially outshine Nvidia's and AMD's entry-level graphics cards. In the mobile segment, the Haswell chip could also make a discrete graphics card unncessary for mainstream and entry-level notebooks.

Sorry for the awful quality, but here is the prices using the iTunes Connect VIP Store. $1783 CAD for the base Retina.

TUSR fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 10, 2012

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

TUSR posted:

If anyone is interested in the possibility of Retina across all Mac platforms, take a look at this.

http://uk.hardware.info/news/29388/intel-haswell-gpu-chip-3x-faster-than-ivy-bridge-gpu
Hopefully Apple continues to write the graphics drivers for OS X if they do go with an Intel-only GPU solution. Since Sandy Bridge has seen widespread adoption, Intel have somehow managed to surpass ATI and win the crown of 'worst written graphics drivers in Windows' :v:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Today is a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

ChocNitty posted:

Today is a good day.

I wish my day was that good. :sigh:

On the upside getting AppleCare+ for my iPad was completely painless, even the hold music was nice. For once being more than 50 miles away from an Apple store pays off.