Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Loving Life Partner posted:

What do you guys think of this theory I just came up with? It rings true.

Friend:
So what are the downsides to working there?

Me:
The callers
and the corporate zombie management

Friend: corporate zombie management...what is that?

Me:
like, there's regular people in the top level right? they are real and act like human beings, but you can't have a company composed of people who act like human beings because you'd go out of business in a day, because nobody who calls a company wants anyone to act like a human being, they want the rep to be a machine that does what they want
so the people up top come up with these 'initiatives" and "objectives" to help the make the "call experience" amazing, to 'surprise and delight' the customer
but we in the trenches don't believe that bullshit either, because we actually take calls and have to do whats right
but in the middle, between the top and the bottom, you have the people who have to peddle that bullshit and believe it
they're the zombies

You just described life in a call center "Contact Center" to a T. Not only that, but those who come up with the "initiatives" and "objectives" to produce the "Amazing Call Experience!" more than likely have never taken any calls themselves. Pray that the FISH! Philosophy never enters your center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

rockinricky posted:

You just described life in a call center "Contact Center" to a T. Not only that, but those who come up with the "initiatives" and "objectives" to produce the "Amazing Call Experience!" more than likely have never taken any calls themselves. Pray that the FISH! Philosophy never enters your center.

Oh god don't even remind me about FISH! Argh.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

rockinricky posted:

*racks shotgun* Take your FISH! and back out the thread nice and slow boy. We don't want any trouble. :clint:

For those who don't know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FISH!_philosophy

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Well, I'm done. Today was my last day.

Best of luck to all of you, and I hope you all get out when you can.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

Today was my day off, and I was getting my hair done when I got a call from work, asking me to come in on my day off because they wanted to interview me for an internal position that I'd applied for and written a test for.

I got the call tonight that I got the job. It's Quality Assurance/Quality Analyst.

Has anybody worked Quality Assurance in a call centre before?

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

cuntvalet posted:

Today was my day off, and I was getting my hair done when I got a call from work, asking me to come in on my day off because they wanted to interview me for an internal position that I'd applied for and written a test for.

I got the call tonight that I got the job. It's Quality Assurance/Quality Analyst.

I had to do it as a secondary thing as a Supervisor and it was like watching a bad horror movie. You're sitting there watching this call unfold, the agent is struggling along and not seeking any assistance, giving the customer misinformation and there's not a thing you can do about it. When you do find a good call though, it really brightens your day to see excellent service provided to a customer and hear the joy in their voice that they got someone who understood and resolved their issues.

I guess it's hit or miss really, but those bad calls or agents are just infuriating.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

bulbous nub posted:

I had to do it as a secondary thing as a Supervisor and it was like watching a bad horror movie. You're sitting there watching this call unfold, the agent is struggling along and not seeking any assistance, giving the customer misinformation and there's not a thing you can do about it. When you do find a good call though, it really brightens your day to see excellent service provided to a customer and hear the joy in their voice that they got someone who understood and resolved their issues.

I guess it's hit or miss really, but those bad calls or agents are just infuriating.

Still beats actually taking the calls.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

bulbous nub posted:

See, they interviewed me and hired me for a job I don't really get the details of, so that's confusing.

In your case were you listening to recordings or were you y-jacking with agents live?

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cuntvalet posted:

I never worked QA, but I feel I have a good sense of what they did at the center I worked at. Each agent was subjected to having 3 random calls analyzed by a QA person per month. Tons of random call were recorded, and QA would pick one from a big list, usually between 3 and 20 minutes. Then they would listen to them and write up an oh-so-helpful report to send off to the agent and their lead. No real-time jacking-in. I personally hated receiving QA reports. Thanks for telling me my screw-ups after the fact. QA at my place was largely regarded as a huge step up from agent. They even had private desks with tall cubicle walls! Monday through Friday hours! Wowie!

I also came into contact with the FISH! thing toward the end of my employment. I was feeling incredibly frustrated and upset with my job and being told it was up to me to make myself happy about getting yelled at for customers' inability to pay or read bills made me even more resistant to being happy about it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

cuntvalet posted:

I couldn't do it. I had these insane impulses to walk over to agents and start bashing them over the head with a nerf bat until I beat the stupid out of them. My personality couldn't deal with it. In fact I never once wanted to get promoted inside of call center ops, I waited and waited until a corporate gig opened up and got the gently caress out of the call center side of things.

"Well you see ma'am, Mac wireless cards aren't compatible with your wireless router so you'll need to go buy a new computer to use the internet" all because the agent didn't know how to configure a MAC's wifi.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

I'm glad you guys have given me your insight. I'm hoping this is a move in the right direction, but it's weird, going from meh-agent to QA. We shall see, I guess!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I had to do QA for a week and I wanted to walk into traffic. Passively listening to other people gently caress up was a nightmare, I hope you find the experience much more rewarding.

takoyaki
Apr 25, 2010
I worked in a seconded Quality position for a year in a call centre, I got it 9 months in. My centre was 'Directory Assistance' (123 Ask Me Anything for any Aussie goons) and I quite enjoyed it - it sure as poo poo was better than taking calls. Basically, for DA calls I would download 4 calls a month for each agent - our AHT was 51 seconds, so I'd get a 30 second, 50 second and 90 second call, with a random one in between. Then I'd listen to the calls and mark the agent using our scorecard. I fully admit I cheated on regular occasions and if they got a really nasty call where they even slightly lost their temper at the fucker of a caller, I would delete the download and get another one. Screw marking someone down because your caller was a shithead.

We also took paging calls, because these were not recorded (cough cough) I would make, say 150 - 200 calls a month getting random agents and pretending to be calling the 'service' and wanting to leave a message. I could never do what the older QA's and managers would do, which was occasionally be a jerk. Agents had a bad enough day already. Once again, mark the calls and then if I was allowed to pull the agent off the phone I would give them a little coaching. Some people hated Quality, and I get that some of the rules were stupid and annoying, but if you could sit down with them one on one and pull up the paging service and point out what you had marked down for they tended to be pretty easy going. Then the was the fun stuff, like organising competitions and fun days and decorating the centre, and writing up the newsletters.

And why did I leave? Well, I was only seconded and suddenly my Quality hours were going down...and down...and down. And I knew the girl who had trained me was going to be coming back from her 12 month maternity leave. And every single second on the phones was so loving horrible, I was angry all the time, I had lost my ability to empathise ("You're calling for poisons hotline because your child ate shampoo? Bitch please, the number is on the bottle!") and I eventually had a hardcore burnout and had to leave because I was constantly sick to the stomach and having anxiety attacks about having to go into work. I ended up on Valium. I was out of work for 3 months and then for some loving stupid reason I went back to another call centre (bloody Apple tech support) which was even WORSE than 123 and I lasted 3 months before I was bursting into tears before every call and one Monday I stood up, handed all my poo poo in and walked out the door...straight to a psychiatrist! Who told me never to work in another call centre again, and I'm now in admin and super happy!

Good luck goons, you need it.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

cuntvalet posted:

I'm glad you guys have given me your insight. I'm hoping this is a move in the right direction, but it's weird, going from meh-agent to QA. We shall see, I guess!

It seems slightly sideways, but definitely upwards in general. Congratulations.

Also, unrelated, the FISH! wikipedia page is wonderfully bad. Most pages when they have a hyperlink labelled 'film' or 'book' link to the film or book they're talking about? Not this one! Links to the actual pages for films and books, because people don't know what they are at all.

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Still beats actually taking the calls.

Agreed, 100 %.

cuntvalet posted:

See, they interviewed me and hired me for a job I don't really get the details of, so that's confusing.

In your case were you listening to recordings or were you y-jacking with agents live?

Both, but the live calls were better for me at least since I had the opportunity to correct the agent on the spot and prevent any FTR hits or whatever.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

skipdogg posted:

I couldn't do it. I had these insane impulses to walk over to agents and start bashing them over the head with a nerf bat until I beat the stupid out of them. My personality couldn't deal with it. In fact I never once wanted to get promoted inside of call center ops, I waited and waited until a corporate gig opened up and got the gently caress out of the call center side of things.

"Well you see ma'am, Mac wireless cards aren't compatible with your wireless router so you'll need to go buy a new computer to use the internet" all because the agent didn't know how to configure a MAC's wifi.

I want to do this to a guy and I don't QA. Listening to that fucker spew poo poo about how a small (Category 2) hurricane destroyed the power grid so bad it affected power in a huge city 400 miles away, or how the government is forcing wireless manufacturers to make their modems less powerful on the wireless side so they only cover a certain area. I really need to start my list back up of "Troyisms". How the gently caress he's still a Tier 3 agent I don't know.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

I want to do this to a guy and I don't QA. Listening to that fucker spew poo poo about how a small (Category 2) hurricane destroyed the power grid so bad it affected power in a huge city 400 miles away, or how the government is forcing wireless manufacturers to make their modems less powerful on the wireless side so they only cover a certain area. I really need to start my list back up of "Troyisms". How the gently caress he's still a Tier 3 agent I don't know.

If a power plant gets destroyed/goes down unexpectedly it can have pretty far reaching consequences. The U.S. grid is all tangled together and not very robust.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

I wrote and passed my QA certification test today. Woop!

Only 8 hours on the phones a month!

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
I absolutely loved doing QA for my first program. It was a bit of a clusterfuck sometimes but I managed to get really good at it. They drastically changed the scorecard half way through my tenure which was hell to go through. We were supposed to do a lot more side by side live monitoring but I hated doing it and always did them from the QA office. I managed to double my typing speed doing assessments with the recording sped up all the way. There were points where everyone in the office would stop doing their work and stare at how fast I was typing.

Our company had the highest quality scores across the vendors. None of the vendors ever got a passing mark though.

I hated that the client used to QA our QA calls. I remember getting evaluated on one I did by someone who never really evaluates calls or knows a lot about the front end of the business. I sent a really nasty email to my manager about how wrong the evaluation was. She forwarded it to the client. I was happy.

I only ever gave out one zero. I did my fair share of cherrypicking calls but there were a few things I wouldn't let slide. Lying and laziness were both big on the list.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009
More then halfway through my 6th nightshift this week! 12 hours each, 1800-0620, for a week straight is a bit much but considering I get over 40 hours of overtime out of it I won't complain.

Bonus: I thought it would be simple overtime (~$38/hour) but according to my union any overtime between 2000-0600 gets the increased rate (~$51/hour).
Not bad pay for phone work, especially since it's the weekend and we have very little calls. So I can browse SA, read up for my CCNA, or watch a movie (my colleague is watching Eurotrip as I'm writing this).

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

Aw, hell no! What's up, dog?

taremva posted:

More then halfway through my 6th nightshift this week! 12 hours each, 1800-0620, for a week straight is a bit much but considering I get over 40 hours of overtime out of it I won't complain.

Bonus: I thought it would be simple overtime (~$38/hour) but according to my union any overtime between 2000-0600 gets the increased rate (~$51/hour).
Not bad pay for phone work, especially since it's the weekend and we have very little calls. So I can browse SA, read up for my CCNA, or watch a movie (my colleague is watching Eurotrip as I'm writing this).

jesus christ i'm working for the wrong call center

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

taremva posted:

(~$51/hour)
Are those US dollars?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Tennis Ball posted:

If a power plant gets destroyed/goes down unexpectedly it can have pretty far reaching consequences. The U.S. grid is all tangled together and not very robust.

I'm not talking plants, I'm just talking some lines and poo poo that get taken down. I know a plant going down can cause rolling brownouts across a few grids as they try to keep up with the demands until the plant is back online, but just some downed lines shouldn't cause that.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009

Semprini posted:

Are those US dollars?

Yes, using yesterday's currency exchange rates.

edit: Want me to post a breakdown of what my union mandates in regards to pay for different hours of the day? Would that be interesting or useful? It's not minimum wage stuff, it's how much your pay should be increased for working on a weekend, for example. It is all based on your monthly pay in the end.

taremva fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 20, 2012

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Reading the New York Times today, it looks like my company is announcing our new CEO...again. For those playing at home, this is our 3rd this year.

And my boss wonders why I'm cynical about working here.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

It's enough to make you blue (and yellow, right?)

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Boomer The Cannon posted:

It's enough to make you blue (and yellow, right?)

Perhaps...:ninja:

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS

BigDave posted:

Perhaps...:ninja:

Hey did you post those stories about working at a Rosetta stone kiosk? I'm not asking to whine about "fake stories" or whatever, I'm just curious.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
There's a weird arc with billing calls

don't give any shits about your billing what's due and when and why you're cancelled and etc? annoying

but, care too much? loving annoying.

"when is that due again? so you'll just send me a bill? great i'll take care of it when you send it. i can pay with a visa card? great. do i just call you or..? okay, great, I guess I can also pay on the website, I just don't want to be behind or anything, you know how it is, I just want to make sure you'll send that bill, last time I was supposed to get a bill and didn't, so I had an issue with a late payment, and etc."

SHUT. UP.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Slam Pajamas posted:

Hey did you post those stories about working at a Rosetta stone kiosk? I'm not asking to whine about "fake stories" or whatever, I'm just curious.

Yup, that was me. I couldn't find a picture of my manager so I used a placeholder and got called out for it.

In fairness, that was 3 years ago.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Just when I was starting to get back in the rhythm, we get out customer survey stats back for the quarter. They are poo poo. They've been steadily tanking since February. And they literally sent out an email blaming new hires and too many escalations.

Seriously? You loving changed so much and made it worse for the customer, and you're blaming new people on the fact we're getting so many more angry people calling in regarding these changes? Try your lovely sales culture. You want more sales, you're gonna sacrifice a whole fuckload of customer service to get them. rear end hats.

Edit: O ho ho, looking back at my posts in March... guess what they changed! The phone system. I loving knew it was going to screw everything.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Chicken Doodle posted:

Edit: O ho ho, looking back at my posts in March... guess what they changed! The phone system. I loving knew it was going to screw everything.

We told you Avaya sucked rear end. :colbert:

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

We told you Avaya sucked rear end. :colbert:

I figured a way around it. If I make busy and get back on again after a long call, I get a call way way faster.

But yes, gently caress Avaya. Bastards.

Shadaez
Dec 19, 2011
Alpine Access wants me back and I'm actually doing an interview because I'm having an awful time getting a job.

edit: Annnd the interview was supposed to start 5 minutes ago but the interviewer is nowhere to be seen! Woohoo.

edit2: oh god, I joined the wrong interview room because there was two links. Awesome.

Shadaez fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 23, 2012

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Chicken Doodle posted:

Just when I was starting to get back in the rhythm, we get out customer survey stats back for the quarter. They are poo poo. They've been steadily tanking since February. And they literally sent out an email blaming new hires and too many escalations.

Seriously? You loving changed so much and made it worse for the customer, and you're blaming new people on the fact we're getting so many more angry people calling in regarding these changes? Try your lovely sales culture. You want more sales, you're gonna sacrifice a whole fuckload of customer service to get them. rear end hats.

The secret is you're not supposed to be able to meet the goals.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
So about seven months ago whichever bottom of the barrel company our client contracted to run the IVR poo poo the bed and we stopped getting account information / validation requirements / sales offers through our soft phone. So instead of you calling the customer service number on the back of your card, dialing in all your information and then getting connected to a CSR who goes "Can I get your name? Thank you Mr. Johnson I have all your poo poo right here on my computer how can I help you?" you get connected to someone who has no idea what the gently caress and we ask you for all your poo poo all over again.

Then two days ago out of nowhere the soft phone started spitting out account IDs and validation requirements and everything on about 50% of calls and everyone's super stoked about it kinda sorta working but I'm just dumbfounded that poo poo here is so inexcusably bad that things working the way they're supposed to half the time is something to be celebrated.

It's been broken so long that all the new people they've trained in the past four months started freaking out because they didn't know what was happening because they stopped training people how to use the soft phone because they never thought it would work again.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
My 8 person team has lost 2 people and 1 got demoted. Another is probably going to quit in the next 2-3 months when they get into grad school.

That cuts our already short staffed team in half. And we have no one to promote up because people in entry levels keep leaving (we're a very flat company. entry > my team > manager > founder). We have lost 16% of our total work force in the past 3 months and have replaced 11% of that 16 this month, but they all have to be trained.

I need out.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

The secret is you're not supposed to be able to meet the goals.

Speaking of this, I was having a great weekend until I logged into my remote scheduler and saw my compliance time had slipped a bit, and then for some reason I started getting really really loving depressed. I had a lovely loving week last week with numerous call backs and poo poo, and it's half my fault and half outside influence, but god drat it one percentage point shouldn't have me near panic. This job is good when it's good but so loving lovely when it's bad, and it's getting worse. :smithicide:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
3.5 hours paid off phones tomorrow for a special diversity and inclusion activity :allears:

Sometimes corporate wank is awesome. Have to think up some troll questions/scenarios to present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Loving Life Partner posted:

3.5 hours paid off phones tomorrow for a special diversity and inclusion activity :allears:

Sometimes corporate wank is awesome. Have to think up some troll questions/scenarios to present.

Turn up:

in a wheelchair
with a white stick
in religious garb
cross-dressed
in the wrong ethnic clothing