Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
All this discussion about excellent "big" craft beers competing with local craft beers is part of the reason why I keep putting off getting into home brewing. I feel like my "to try" list is steadily increasing as I learn more about beer, and there are tons of local breweries who I'd love to help keep alive by sampling their delicious products. It's hard to imagine making room for drinking my own, probably-not-that-good-at-first beer.

Anyway.

Stopped by my local giant liquor store yesterday to scratch an "unusual beer" itch, given I've been enjoying some good-but-readily-available brews of late. Walked out with three big bottles I haven't tried yet: Stone 10th Anniversary Ruination, Big Bear Black Stout, and Southern Tier Imperial Pumking.

I look forward to trying all three, even though I've been giving people poo poo over drinking Pumpkin beer already. See, I am using the excuse that I've never tried Pumking and I enjoy Southern Tier beers, not that I desperately wish it were autumn even though it's like six weeks away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

danbanana posted:

Ah.

How much are you willing to spend? If I were to ever join one, this would be the only one I'd join:

http://www.beermonthclub.com/the-rare-beer-club-beernews.htm

But it's expensive.

Cool, that is one of the ones I was seriously considering. I wasn't sure about getting the rare package or the Domestic microbrew package, but it's good to know that at least that company is known.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Chicago-goons, some friends and I are heading your way the weekend of the 18th. Anyone know of any beer related events going on then? I know we are planning to hit up Half Acre and Revolution brewpub.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

lazerwolf posted:

Chicago-goons, some friends and I are heading your way the weekend of the 18th. Anyone know of any beer related events going on then? I know we are planning to hit up Half Acre and Revolution brewpub.

I think you'll just be missing the festivities for the arrival of Oskar Blues. (Events start the 21st).

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Cervixalot posted:

I think you'll just be missing the festivities for the arrival of Oskar Blues. (Events start the 21st).

Hell yes! No more crossing the WI border for Ten Fidy!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Holy gently caress my poor wallet. Bourbon Barrel Aged Santa's Little Helper, many Fall seasonals I need to buy now before they're gone...etc.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Midorka posted:

Holy gently caress my poor wallet. Bourbon Barrel Aged Santa's Little Helper, many Fall seasonals I need to buy now before they're gone...etc.

Dang, where can I find a list like that for Northern California?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

CalvinDooglas posted:

It wouldn't think it would be from using different yeasts. More likely rapid production expansion is pushing the limits of their sanitation.
If the brewery expands into brett/lacto/pedio beers, then yes, different yeasts do increase the risk of infection. Alex, the head brewer at Joseph James, won't even let lambics and the like inside the brewery. When a few local supporters wanted to have an evening tasting stuff at the brewery, he made them do it on the roof. That may seem kind of silly, but once you've got a single-celled organism in a building it's effectively impossible to get rid of it. This is why Jester King allegedly won't be making Black Metal anymore - their whole brewery is full of farmhouse yeast and they can't guarantee a clean fermentation with something else.

SnowDog posted:

Stopped by my local giant liquor store yesterday to scratch an "unusual beer" itch, given I've been enjoying some good-but-readily-available brews of late. Walked out with three big bottles I haven't tried yet: Stone 10th Anniversary Ruination, Big Bear Black Stout, and Southern Tier Imperial Pumking.

I look forward to trying all three, even though I've been giving people poo poo over drinking Pumpkin beer already. See, I am using the excuse that I've never tried Pumking and I enjoy Southern Tier beers, not that I desperately wish it were autumn even though it's like six weeks away.
That Pumking is from last year and I have no idea how it ages. The best way I can describe it fresh is "adventure beer" - it's its own thing, and you'll probably have conflicting emotions about it. Both Stone's Ruination and Bear Republic's Big Bear Black are good beers. Big Bear doesn't stand up to Speedway or Serpent Stout, but it's a very good beer from a great brewery.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Tigren posted:

That's the only distributor that posts it's lists publicly of the ones around here, sadly. It's nice because I always know what's coming up. You could try finding the big distributors in your area and follow them on Facebook and etc.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Tigren posted:

I don't think any of them are that organized, at least not the ones that distribute to San Francisco.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

bartolimu posted:

That Pumking is from last year and I have no idea how it ages.
Any way to be sure? Searches suggest people are talking about August 2012 Pumking, but it's possible it's been on the shelf since last year. I'll try it on a cooler evening and see what I think. Right now Stone is ruinationing my palate and I gotta go eat something so I can finish this beast :).

Thanks for the info on the other beers, too.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

bartolimu posted:

If the brewery expands into brett/lacto/pedio beers, then yes, different yeasts do increase the risk of infection. Alex, the head brewer at Joseph James, won't even let lambics and the like inside the brewery. When a few local supporters wanted to have an evening tasting stuff at the brewery, he made them do it on the roof. That may seem kind of silly, but once you've got a single-celled organism in a building it's effectively impossible to get rid of it. This is why Jester King allegedly won't be making Black Metal anymore - their whole brewery is full of farmhouse yeast and they can't guarantee a clean fermentation with something else.

Vinne from Russian River has been on the Brewing Network a few times, and due to the nature of his beers has some hilarious stories about this. The local winemakers all but chase him off with torches and pitchforks if he comes near their property, and some brewers have been afraid to let him on the premises, too.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

SnowDog posted:

Any way to be sure? Searches suggest people are talking about August 2012 Pumking, but it's possible it's been on the shelf since last year.

ST's facebook definitely had pictures of Pumking labels running through their bottling line recently, so it could be from this year

nah
Mar 16, 2009

CCB is bottling our pumpkin beer on Monday. It's loving delicious.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
That doesn't help that its about 1.5 months too early

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

funkybottoms posted:

ST's facebook definitely had pictures of Pumking labels running through their bottling line recently, so it could be from this year

I saw cases of fresh pumpking in Chicago at a whole foods. It could be 2012.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

It's more than likely 2012 as it's been flooding the market the past 2 weeks.

Edit: Does Weyerbacher ever make a high gravity beer that doesn't have a prominent alcohol flavor? I know Heresy is BBA but even so it finishes too hot, I've noticed this with Merry Monks and their Quad as well.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 11, 2012

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
2012 Pumpking is definitely out, and in mass. It's at just about every beer store I've gone to this week in OH.

I'd be surprised if any 2011 was still around, unless you go to a place that doesn't move products much. It seems to be a very popular beer, and I know all of the 2011 has been gone from my area for a long time.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
Pumking is definitely out. Picked up a bottle in Raleigh, NC earlier today.

Sevorast
Sep 13, 2011

Incoming!
Pumpkin beer, I have avoided the stuff for years but I think this year is gonna be the year I finally try it.

Got a few AleSmith beers from a friend who came to visit about 3 weeks ago, the Speedway Stout was really excellent and Horny Devil was the best Belgian I have ever had.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Best thing about late july pumpkin beers: Using 2011 pumpkin... something. The harvest isnt for another month at least.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

rage-saq posted:

Best thing about late july pumpkin beers: Using 2011 pumpkin... something. The harvest isnt for another month at least.

I don't even get it. It's quite literally the middle of Summer - why is there some drastic need to get your Pumpkin beer out right now as opposed to, Fall, when people want Pumpkin beer?

In other news, had some more Parabola on draft at O'Briens. I'm rather sad I didn't pick up any bottles this year. Although, granted, drinking Parabola in a 80 degree bar is a little...strange.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

rage-saq posted:

I never thought of this; this is the best statement about pumpkin beers.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't even get it. It's quite literally the middle of Summer - why is there some drastic need to get your Pumpkin beer out right now as opposed to, Fall, when people want Pumpkin beer?

This is more of an issue with Oktoberfests, but pumpkin beers get the same stigma of being too old once Halloween is past. Oktoberfests don't really sell once November hits, pumpkin beers get more leeway and people will buy them until Thanksgiving for the most part.

So if you put your pumpkin beer out in September you get 2-3 months at most to sell it. If you distribute to both coasts it could take 2-4 weeks to get the beer out to stores in all your markets, which would give you a 6-8 week timeframe to sell it.

I don't like this practice either but that's why it's done.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
There's never any of the (2 or 3) good Pumpkin beers out by Halloween. Personally, I think they'd go nice with Thanksgiving dinner. . .

And in that same "way too early" vain, most of the good Christmas beers I drink to deal with my family, at Thanksgiving, are gone by the second week of December.

Oh, but those lovely Summer and Spring beers linger on the shelves forever.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 11, 2012

Sevorast
Sep 13, 2011

Incoming!

escape artist posted:

There's never any of the (2 or 3) good Pumpkin beers out by Halloween. Personally, I think they'd go nice with Thanksgiving dinner. . .

And in that same "way too early" vain, most of the good Christmas beers I drink to deal with my family, at Thanksgiving, are gone by the second week of December.

Oh, but those lovely Summer and Spring beers linger on the shelves forever.

Which pumpkin beers would you suggest to someone who has never tried one before?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Wyerbacher's, Dogfish Head's and Southern Tier's, though the latter is best shared as it's basically like liquid pumpkin pie.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
oh, man... can we put something in the OP with various posters' thoughts on pumpkin beers? for the record, Schlafly makes the only one i actually like.

(new posters, this is not meant to make you feel unwelcome, it's just that those of us who've been hanging here for a while have flogged the absolute hell out of this particular dead, contentious horse)

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Well Dogfish Head has been flogged to hell but it's still a weekly occurrence, so there's that.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
I did not even know that Big Boss in Raleigh was doing a sour program, but I had their sour Hell's Biz'ness on tap yesterday, and drat that's a good sour! Highly recommend it if you're in NC and can find it.

Going to a local beer fest today, all NC brewers. They had a bit of a fuckup with the venue, so it's going to be interesting to see who shows up and how it goes...

Sevorast
Sep 13, 2011

Incoming!

funkybottoms posted:

oh, man... can we put something in the OP with various posters' thoughts on pumpkin beers? for the record, Schlafly makes the only one i actually like.

(new posters, this is not meant to make you feel unwelcome, it's just that those of us who've been hanging here for a while have flogged the absolute hell out of this particular dead, contentious horse)

Yeah I gathered from the thread title that is may have been a recurring topic.

Thanks for the recommendation.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
To answer your question, the only Pumpkin beers I'd drink are from:
Hopping Frog, Cigar City or Southern Tier breweries.

Though, as has been mentioned, the Southern Tier stuff is like liquid pumpkin pie. Sharing a bottle is a good idea. And you won't be able to find the Cigar City pumpkin beer unless you live within 100 mile radius of Tampa, FL, and even then, it's tough. The owners of the store I bought mine from last year, bought half of the product and kept it for their own consumption, so there were only like a dozen or two bottles for sale to the public. And they were available for literally two days.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I stand corrected on Pumking. It just seemed so...early. Then again, if any pumpkin beer could get away with using canned, it's Pumking.

Docjowles posted:

Vinne from Russian River has been on the Brewing Network a few times, and due to the nature of his beers has some hilarious stories about this. The local winemakers all but chase him off with torches and pitchforks if he comes near their property, and some brewers have been afraid to let him on the premises, too.
Winemakers won't even taste Sanctification. It's 100% brett fermented and it's like they're afraid the yeast will come out their pores and get into their winery or something. Given how devastating brett (or for that matter, pediococcus) infections can be for most wines I can sort of understand their caution, but it's still hilarious.

Day one of our local strong beer fest was pretty successful, though I had to leave early due to work this morning. Black Butte XXIII is a bit maltier than I remember XXI and XXII being fresh. Hopefully it will mellow as it ages. Stone's Mixtape Ale GK & LU's Blend Volume 1 is an utter mess. It's got a ton of Stone beers in it, some spices, and Citra hops. I could taste the Citra; everything else was an undifferentiated mass of beery meh-ness. Local brewpub Big Dog's sent a keg of their Belgian Strong called El Perro Diablo that's very good, heavy on the banana aromas with cloves coming through on the palate. It's a shame they've retired the beer, it's easily one of the best US-brewed Belgians I've found.

I have to correct what I said yesterday about Joseph James. Bolshevik is their own recipe, a Russian Imperial Stout. Their Pro-Am is a foreign/export stout. Both are very good, in fact I'd call the Bolshevik world class - thick, rich, with great coffee/chocolate balance, moderate maltiness and a big bitter finish that makes you want another drink. It's up there in quality with Speedway Stout in my opinion. I don't know how widely it's going to be distributed this time, but California stands a good chance of getting some. I'll try to ask Matt or Alex if they're around tonight.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
In researching Montreal brewpubs for an upcoming visit, I started reading more into Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel. Beermenus pointed me to a shop by my work that had their Peche Mortel available. For stout fans, I can't recommend enough. Instantly on my list of favorite IS's with a super bitter coffee flavor that milds as it warms. Phenomenal. Now I'm definitely hitting their brew pub in a few weeks...

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

Retemnav posted:

I did not even know that Big Boss in Raleigh was doing a sour program, but I had their sour Hell's Biz'ness on tap yesterday, and drat that's a good sour! Highly recommend it if you're in NC and can find it.
Where did you have that? I was at their taproom on Wednesday night and that definitely wasn't there; would have totally tried that if it was. Ended up trying their Saucey Pants saison though.

Also had that Oro de Calabaza and...it was amazing. There aren't sufficient words to describe how much it blew my mind.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

So I was excited when a local shop posted that they had Great Divide barrel-aged Old Ruffian, so I took a walk there and got excited when I saw a bottle on the shelf...but I wasn't excited when I saw the $27 price tag so I put it back. Is that how much it is everywhere or is that gouge level?

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Valencia posted:

Where did you have that? I was at their taproom on Wednesday night and that definitely wasn't there; would have totally tried that if it was. Ended up trying their Saucey Pants saison though.

Also had that Oro de Calabaza and...it was amazing. There aren't sufficient words to describe how much it blew my mind.

City Beverage in Winston, they had a keg this friday along with a cask of their IPA with dry-hopped Falconer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

So I was excited when a local shop posted that they had Great Divide barrel-aged Old Ruffian, so I took a walk there and got excited when I saw a bottle on the shelf...but I wasn't excited when I saw the $27 price tag so I put it back. Is that how much it is everywhere or is that gouge level?

Edit: Never mind. Barrel aged? I've never seen that but $27 sounds pricey. I mean, that's twice the price of Sucaba...

By the way, Double DBA is delicious. FW continues to do no wrong with their reserve series.

danbanana fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 11, 2012

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
DDBA is great. The other "Reserve Series" beers recently (Parabola, Sucaba) have had a very barrely, aged flavor already and I'm not really sure how much of a change I'd really see from aging them more. The DDBA isn't quite like that and I can see it mellowing even more over time, and it's great now.

I also just had the new Black Butte XIV and I like it a lot more than last years. I feel like dates and figs make a lot more sense than orange or whatever it was they did last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

To compare... Beermenus lists Local Option having this for $20. That's a bar... $27 seems more and more insane.