Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

I started playing this week, in-game as Gradenko with a level 10 14 Warrior.

Since I'm finding the quest system to be a little unpleasant to deal with, I've just been grinding on pumas and bears and drakes outside Crescent Reach. Am I shooting myself in the foot by forgoing questing?

Also, I'm not sure I understand how the skill training system works - I can pay the guildmaster some cash to increase my skill level, but I already get skill increases just by fighting. Why should I still train and what should I be focusing on training?

Finally, when should I be thinking about going for a Silver upgrade or a Gold subscription?

1. Quests are mostly useless until high level tasks. The most useful for you until then are Franklin Teeg (sp?) in plane of knowledge who will actually give you super amazing low level defiant pieces for your offslots as well as decent xp AND he will send you to current hot zones which are far and away the best places to level until 50 or 55. Absolutely do these quests or at least do the hot zones they are in, they are all just kill quests and dont even have to be turned in.

2. Skills mostly should just train on their own. You used to have to train a skill to level 1 begfore it would start, but no more. It can save you some time to throw some cash at a skill sometimes, but it's not important.

3. Mostly if you like the game and want to play it beyond super casual. You can actually do a ton with silver, just because the game is so huge, but best bet is probably subbing gold for a month, using that to make a bunch of characters of various classes (to get around silver restrictions) and then let the account go silver if you feel like playing on the cheap for a bit. Silver in this game is still ultra-limited (EQ isnt really F2P) but since it's basically the biggest game ever theres a lot you can do before hitting a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
Do you have to pay for a gold upgrade to select a starting city other than Crescent Reach?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The hero's journey line of quests gives some pretty good gear for its level, and some extra rewards if you complete a category in the achievements menu ( type /ach).

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

I Love You! posted:

best bet is probably subbing gold for a month, using that to make a bunch of characters of various classes (to get around silver restrictions) and then let the account go silver if you feel like playing on the cheap for a bit.

Keep in mind that if you play a "premium" class (not a one-dimensional class - e.g. warrior, rogue, wizard, cleric) and go back to silver without paying the trumped-up 7.50 to unlock it, you won't be able to play that character anymore - same goes with races (only Erudite, Human, Gnome, and Barbarian are free).

Overall, their F2P model is pretty piss-poor.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

JustJeff88 posted:

Overall, their F2P model is pretty piss-poor.

I agree, it's pretty much a trial. It's setup so that anyone remotely serious about playing will go "gently caress it, gotta go gold" and pay the $15 they paid before. I'm not really complaining because it'd be nuts to expect a completely free MMORPG with no restrictions, but it's bullshit to call it F2P.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Pilsner posted:

I agree, it's pretty much a trial. It's setup so that anyone remotely serious about playing will go "gently caress it, gotta go gold" and pay the $15 they paid before. I'm not really complaining because it'd be nuts to expect a completely free MMORPG with no restrictions, but it's bullshit to call it F2P.

other mmos do this though -_-

MAXIMUM SWEAT
Apr 21, 2003

by Lowtax

Pilsner posted:

By the way, my ambitious attempt at reliving nostalgia with EQMac came to a screeching halt already at level 5/6. Jesus christ, original EQ is brutally grindy. Literally nothing to do but slowly and painstakingly grind mobs, and even dual-boxing it is risky and cumbersome 100% of the time.

I just tried this too yesterday to relive all the old zones and stuff and I realized that I have no patience for the game at all. I wish I could just godmode myself and go see all the old zones again.

Then I went to the Test server, where all the zones are glossed over with trademark SOE shitshine and that killed any interest in replaying EQ.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the response, guys. What's this I hear about free Gold accounts on the Test Server, though? It was mentioned in the previous page.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If you play on the Test server you get a free gold membership automatically. As well as double xp, no charge for purchasing mercs, and all vet rewards enabled.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
seems we have enough people on test to make a guild (of bots). I barely play but it wouldnt be a terrible idea!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RCarr posted:

If you play on the Test server you get a free gold membership automatically. As well as double xp, no charge for purchasing mercs, and all vet rewards enabled.

Is there a downside to all this? Test Server makes me think periodic wipes or something.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The server is at the whims of whatever SoE feels like doing. But wipes shouldn't happen again. Lower population and stability issues would be the major problems. But if you know people on live servers you can ask them to /testcopy and give you copies of their cool droppable items and currencies.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

There hasn't been a wipe on Test in what 5+ years? I've never once had a stability issue. The population is pretty low, but it's a tight knit community where you can get a full set of gear just by claiming rots that are given away in general chat.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a downside to all this? Test Server makes me think periodic wipes or something.

Maybe it's changed due to the free gold status, but test's population earlier this year was intolerable. The bazaar had no traders, general chat was dead in off hours, and I would frequently go days without seeing another player. There's also no way to escape test now, so be sure to scope it out a bit before really sinking into the exp grind there. I managed to escape test to Fv (another server that people said was dead) and in comparison I found basically instant group/guild/open raid opportunities. If you're into raiding I probably would not recommend FV, but unless population *drastically* improved on test after the F2P conversion, I wouldn't ever recommend it to anyone.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 12, 2012

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tolain posted:

Maybe it's changed due to the free gold status, but test's population earlier this year was intolerable. The bazaar had no traders, general chat was dead in off hours, and I would frequently go days without seeing another player. There's also no way to escape test now, so be sure to scope it out a bit before really sinking into the exp grind there. I managed to escape test to Fv (another server that people said was dead) and in comparison I found basically instant group/guild/open raid opportunities. If you're into raiding I probably recommend FV, but unless population *drastically* improved on test after the F2P conversion, I wouldn't ever recommend it to anyone.

Thanks for the warning. I just wanted to check it out to see how much of a difference a Gold sub would make, since I'm planning on playing seriously but don't get paid until the 15th. If I'm gonna go all the way, might as well stick with Luclin and a sub so I have goons to group with, aye?

EDIT: If I shell out for a month of gold, do I drop down to Silver after it expires, or is that a separate 5 dollar value if I skip right to Gold?

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 12, 2012

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe

Tolain posted:

Maybe it's changed due to the free gold status, but test's population earlier this year was intolerable. The bazaar had no traders, general chat was dead in off hours, and I would frequently go days without seeing another player. There's also no way to escape test now, so be sure to scope it out a bit before really sinking into the exp grind there. I managed to escape test to Fv (another server that people said was dead) and in comparison I found basically instant group/guild/open raid opportunities. If you're into raiding I probably recommend FV, but unless population *drastically* improved on test after the F2P conversion, I wouldn't ever recommend it to anyone.

I just switched to FV myself, and the fact that most equipment that was NO-Trade is now tradable has been a huge boost for me. There is so much more to buy on FV in the bazaar, and lots more competition than it was on Xegony. Plus, having the option to sell my old equipment, or hand down my previously attuned stuff to alts is a huge plus.

I see in the eq forums people complain that prices are inflated on FV, but I generally only see that on equipment that was never for sale in the first place on other servers.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

MAXIMUM SWEAT posted:

I just tried this too yesterday to relive all the old zones and stuff and I realized that I have no patience for the game at all. I wish I could just godmode myself and go see all the old zones again.

Then I went to the Test server, where all the zones are glossed over with trademark SOE shitshine and that killed any interest in replaying EQ.

That's not quite true. By shitshine, do you mean the texture revamp some old zones got? A lot of old zones are almost exactly as they were. Everything from Kunark and up is 99% original as well.

EQ today is almost perfect for godmoding and exploring it all within a reasonable amount of time.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Wow, I caught a bad typo. I meant to say, "If you're into end game raiding, I probably would not recommend FV". Because it seems to taper off around HoT/UF/early VoA. If you really want to raid the bleeding edge content, other live servers might be best.

I really never got all the hate for FV inflation. Yeah, it's inflated, but like someone else said, typically it's only on stuff that's end content or no-drop top-tier stuff for it's level bracket.

The inflation goes both ways too, since you can easily start running quests and selling the rewards for cash. Like there's an item that took me about 20 minutes to run. I boxed 3 characters, got 3 rewards, and sold them at 20-30k a pop. Money comes and goes pretty easy on FV. I regularly sold named drops from T2/3 voa for 20-70k, although that market seemed to hit a huge slump around the time I stopped playing.

Grandiose gear (Tier 4 voa group stuff) is pretty cheap once you find someone to buy the vendor items, and that in turn makes doing VoA/HoT/etc progress a lot easier for those of us who don't want to poopsock through the raid game.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 12, 2012

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Are there any other tasks that are similar in exp reward to Filling the Repository? Love that task, but hate the 5 hour lockout on it and am looking for something else to do after I finish it up.

MAXIMUM SWEAT
Apr 21, 2003

by Lowtax

Pilsner posted:

That's not quite true. By shitshine, do you mean the texture revamp some old zones got? A lot of old zones are almost exactly as they were. Everything from Kunark and up is 99% original as well.

EQ today is almost perfect for godmoding and exploring it all within a reasonable amount of time.

I started a monk and ended up in Freeport (which is not the same old Freeport) and then zoned into Ro, which had what looked like a whole new heightmap and then just went ugh and turned it off.

Playing EZserver is basically what I was looking for.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

MrTheDevious posted:

I realized the MQ issue and stopped DLing EQ heh. Vanguard F2P is up though! So far, Flarestar, Brumans, and I are all in the goon guild there playing if anyone wants to come join us :)

Flare and I both have alts of every level, I'm playing a new char now, and there's 6 or so people in the 1-20 range already, so now's the time to start and ride the goon wave before we all quit like usual

Is it as horrid as the EQf2p? In terms of functionality? Bags, banks, levels, content, classes, races, etc..

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

No More Heroes posted:

Is it as horrid as the EQf2p? In terms of functionality? Bags, banks, levels, content, classes, races, etc..

In some cases it's better, in some it's worse.

You can play any race/class combo to level 20. The free races are very limited, mainly to the human races per continent (there are three continents). 7 free classes I think. The free race/classes go all the way to max. The game a poo poo-ton of clases/races.

You only get 1 extra bag as a F2P (3 gold). Your bank only has 25 slots (75 gold), but each continent has it's own bank, so note that.

You get all content. Of which there is a ton. You could probably take 4-5 characters to max level, each never seeing anything the other saw.

The coin limit is 3pp I think. As a level 17 with 4 silver, that seems like a ton. But I see max-level people auctioning off stuff for like 15pp.

You can use all chat, and use mail and auction house with higher rates.

Honestly, I find most of it fine. With free class/race until 20, it's a good way to see if you like your choice. I think races and classes are 250 points ($2.50 without deals), so $5.00 if you pick a non-free combo.

The BIGGEST "what the gently caress" on restrictions is gear. F2P can only use green/common gear. The rest of the gear, blue/uncommon and up for like 4 more tiers, is on a case-by-case basis. So a lot of the big important "get armor" questlines right now result in unusable gear. You can buy unlockers for 50 cents per gear piece. But you can get along in greens just fine, crafted blues are supposed to be able to be worn, and some quests got revamped and give really good blue items usable by F2P.

I think I'm posting in the wrong thread....go here to talk to us! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500589

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

MAXIMUM SWEAT posted:

I started a monk and ended up in Freeport (which is not the same old Freeport) and then zoned into Ro, which had what looked like a whole new heightmap and then just went ugh and turned it off.

Playing EZserver is basically what I was looking for.
Well, you stumbled onto the biggest / worst of revamps, Freeport.

Ro and some other zones like Steamfont got more smoothed geometry/height maps, but I don't think it ruins them. Really, go visit any other of the dozens of classic zones, no changes in most of them.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Seriously... You hit 2 out of the maybe 12 or 15 zones that have been revamped. Go exploring. You'll notice that 99% of the world is unchanged.

HolyCarp
Jan 21, 2004
Glub.
I decided to head out and explore Greater Faydark the other night and was surprised to see that it looked completely unchanged. Once I get bored of grinding out some levels, I am going to go explore the old world again. There were a lot of places I never got to see when I played years ago.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

haha, yeah. Freeport got some serious WTF treatment. I have to cruise through it with the mapscreen on every time still (and last time a see invis red-to-95 con quadded me for multiple 30k hits). I think it's just freeport, oasis/sro/nro (merged) and west commons/east commons that got the revamp, as part of PoR, and lavastorm for DoN. There were some other minor revamps to like gnome starting area, but nowwhere near as awful as freeport. Thankfully Qeynos is still intact, thats my favorite newbie zone. Everything else should be just like you remember it, unless I'm forgetting something.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Usually I do not get up in arms about revamps but I remember at one point I had free time so I logged in and they had revamped Nektulos to something completely lovely and unrecognizable. They turned it into a tiny little themepark square. It was awful.

I think they revamped it back though because even Sony recognized how lovely it was.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Most of the revamped old world zones feel faithful to the original zones, and I'm okay with them. The new Freeport is complete poo poo though. They made it even harder to navigate, and uglier to look at. Even if they were going for a sprawling, dirty city aesthetic, they still could have had better art, and made it less of a maze.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

HolyCarp posted:

I decided to head out and explore Greater Faydark the other night and was surprised to see that it looked completely unchanged. Once I get bored of grinding out some levels, I am going to go explore the old world again. There were a lot of places I never got to see when I played years ago.

Erudin and Qeynos still bring back that old feeling too :sun:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone else been running into connection problems lately? I was all set to hit 18 -> 20 tonight but I keep getting disconnected :(

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Has anyone else been running into connection problems lately? I was all set to hit 18 -> 20 tonight but I keep getting disconnected :(

Seems to be happening to everyone after the recent patch. I think the servers are locked now as they try to fix it.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
So I want to 4 box w/2 mercs on test, and make max level as fast as possible just grinding more or less. what group makeup would you use? I've been thinking shaman, necro, mage, and maybe beastlord, with tank and healer mercs. This is just going to be for fun so I don't care too much. I figure all pet classes will be easier to handle and be awesome when casting swarm pets =P :effort:

Shaman slows, backup heals, panthers, buffs, etc +pet
necro for pulls/snares/emergency fd/rez, etc +pet
mage for dps, summoned goodies, ds, etc +pet
beastlord dps, buffs, etc +pet

beastlord i'm not so sure about, i'm thinking that other than fero/mana regen everything else is done better by shaman/mage (slows, buffs, dps) and no gate spell will slow me down if I want to gate more than once per hour.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

BJA posted:

So I want to 4 box w/2 mercs on test, and make max level as fast as possible just grinding more or less. what group makeup would you use? I've been thinking shaman, necro, mage, and maybe beastlord, with tank and healer mercs. This is just going to be for fun so I don't care too much. I figure all pet classes will be easier to handle and be awesome when casting swarm pets =P :effort:

Shaman slows, backup heals, panthers, buffs, etc +pet
necro for pulls/snares/emergency fd/rez, etc +pet
mage for dps, summoned goodies, ds, etc +pet
beastlord dps, buffs, etc +pet

beastlord i'm not so sure about, i'm thinking that other than fero/mana regen everything else is done better by shaman/mage (slows, buffs, dps) and no gate spell will slow me down if I want to gate more than once per hour.

I would rather use a straight up nuker instead of the beastlord, like a wiz or druid, which will also give you ports.

I know you're just going for fun, but a necro as puller isn't optimal; their FD isn't very good and they're fragile. Consider an SK or Monk perhaps?

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I love my beastlord, but to be honest if you're going to have a shaman in group I would probably recommend the druid for nukes/heals/ports.

Beastlords are fun, but they are not the most optimal of classes. They can slow and buff, but the shaman can do better. They can DPS, but a monk would straight up kill me in a fight. The pet isn't really even all that good. My 82 pet gets killed by a 77 mage pet unless I use the slow proc pet buff.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Keith Stone posted:

I love my beastlord, but to be honest if you're going to have a shaman in group I would probably recommend the druid for nukes/heals/ports.

Beastlords are fun, but they are not the most optimal of classes. They can slow and buff, but the shaman can do better. They can DPS, but a monk would straight up kill me in a fight. The pet isn't really even all that good. My 82 pet gets killed by a 77 mage pet unless I use the slow proc pet buff.

Yeah, a Beastlord is a straight up solo class for the most part. There's a ton of classes that would fill the gap a lot better these days. BL has kinda fallen by the wayside now that Shaman are great all the time, forever, always. A bard isn't a terrible idea either, to be honest; they add a lot to a group no matter what.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I don't know about you guys, but I'm excited about the new /facebook and /twitter commands

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Did they ever fix pet pushing? Because a beastlord in a box set would be :lol:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Working as intended.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I want those pants so, so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Do Warriors get anything to help with runners? I went to Castle Mistmoore after hitting level 21 (23 now after logging off) and some of the mobs are starting to run at low health.

It hasn't quite gotten me killed yet, but I have been forced to zone a couple of times when the tank merc runs after them, pulls extras, then ends up fleeing from all the extra mobs.

Also, how do you use augments? I think I've picked up a couple of Defiant gems so far. I should probably join Ominous Latin Phrase soon so I can ask these questions in-game.