Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Resource posted:

3+ gallon tank, that sounds so tempting, I have to fill the DRZ up every second day with my tiny stock tank.

I manage to go a 5-6 days between fill ups on a stock tank but my commute to work is 8 miles a day.

Every time I see peoples bikes that are purchased with all that cool addon aftermarket poo poo, it makes me really want to improve mine... But then laziness sets in. At least I changed my oil a t some point, of course I was too lazy to write down when I did it though.

I think I need to clean my air filter pretty soon, it kinda feels like my engine is having a not so easy time breathing recently. Maybe I'll just buy one of those fancy replacement ones. I'm guessing my brake pads probably need replacing at some point soon as well.

I need a drat cargo rack or or something too.

This has been a completely non sequitur post by me, thank you for reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Also, you cant paint a plastic tank like that, it will bubble and turn to poo poo in like a week.

yeah, the best solution for this problem is more stickers, not less. plus the see through-ness of the tank makes for a great fuel gauge.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

soy posted:

This has been a completely non sequitur post by me, thank you for reading.

I enjoyed this post, it made me feel less bad that my DRZ oil change is now on to day 3.

In related news, ThumperTalk is sending me the right filter now, very quick, and hassle free.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Also, you cant paint a plastic tank like that, it will bubble and turn to poo poo in like a week.

drat, not even plastic paint? More stickers it is...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

wallaka posted:

drat, not even plastic paint? More stickers it is...

The problem is the fuel outgassing through the tank. It outgasses under the paint and makes it bubble and fall off.

Even stickers will fall off unless they're perforated.

The only solution if you must color it is to dye it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Olde Weird Tip posted:

The problem is the fuel outgassing through the tank. It outgasses under the paint and makes it bubble and fall off.

That makes complete sense, thanks.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

soy posted:

Every time I see peoples bikes that are purchased with all that cool addon aftermarket poo poo, it makes me really want to improve mine...

"Improve." I decided I wasn't going to go that route with my bikes when I figured out that I would spend more time loving with them than riding them if I started swapping stock parts out willy nilly.

K.Y. Jelly Donut
Jan 2, 2009
I think I am going to pull the trigger on a new bike in the next few weeks. Thinking either a DRZ or a KTM duke at the moment, I also know a guy who wants to sell his Husky 450rr but I don't think that's a wise choice. Anyway, when I test ride these bikes second hand is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

What year 450rr? Do you live near a Husky dealer? I've found their parts network to be very helpful, and remarkably inexpensive.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Consider vinyl wrap. It's cheap, clean and easy. Lots of Colors too:

http://www.metrorestyling.com/Colored-Vinyl-Wrap-Sheets-p/cwvinyl24.htm

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

K.Y. Jelly Donut posted:

I think I am going to pull the trigger on a new bike in the next few weeks. Thinking either a DRZ or a KTM duke at the moment, I also know a guy who wants to sell his Husky 450rr but I don't think that's a wise choice. Anyway, when I test ride these bikes second hand is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

Cant speak to the other two, but on the DRZ, just the standard stuff for any used bike. Loud knocks (the motor is kind of noisy, so dont let that throw you), weird handling indicating a bad crash, PO's knowledge on maintenance, stuff like that.

They're pretty rock solid, so if something is wrong, you'll generally be able to tell.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Isn't the problem the low surface energy of polyethylene, along with the high vibration and varying heat? I would think significant gas permeability would cause the bike to fail the evaporative emissions tests.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zool posted:

Isn't the problem the low surface energy of polyethylene, along with the high vibration and varying heat? I would think significant gas permeability would cause the bike to fail the evaporative emissions tests.

Are emissions tests stringent enough to detect fuel outgassing that would bubble paint over the span of a few weeks? It doesnt take much to do that.

I would guess that the outgassing isnt enough to fail emissions.

Also, all these tanks are aftermarket, and probably not subject to emissions regulations.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

I saw where a guy used epoxy and body filler on a plastic tank and it worked but...effort, meh. Vinyl seems like it would work because of the microscopic holes in it, though. Dyeing is probably easiest. I'll think about it--probably just end up re-stickering over and over again.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Safety Dance posted:

"Improve." I decided I wasn't going to go that route with my bikes when I figured out that I would spend more time loving with them than riding them if I started swapping stock parts out willy nilly.

It's true, a lot of the stuff people do is not really important. I would mostly just like everything to be very clean and well maintained. I've always taken good care of my cars, with the assistance of a mechanic... but I don't know of any bike mechanics that I trust at all.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gullous posted:

Consider vinyl wrap. It's cheap, clean and easy. Lots of Colors too:

http://www.metrorestyling.com/Colored-Vinyl-Wrap-Sheets-p/cwvinyl24.htm

Vinyl will probably bubble up as well, unless the gas vapors pass right through that too. That's why all tank graphics are perforated.

Let it sit in a tub of Rit dye from the grocery store, that's pretty effective.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I ordered a new clutch slave and a few bits of shameless bling from SIGUTech. Unfortunately they forgot to pack the clutch slave and all I got was the shameless bling.

Orange Wheelnuts!

The SC-Project slip-on finally arrived after 5 blasted months too.

I'm just glad they managed to send it before the normal Italian August shut down.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Are those your fingerprints or theirs?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Mine... I couldn't resist giving it a good fondle.

The chap who runs SIGUTech just got back to me, they've sent out a clutch slave to me now but seem to refuse to believe that they didn't include one in the original package.

quote:

I have presonaly paked the parcel and I delete each ordered part from the lists when I packs, therefore, that actually is impossible.

The package was fully sealed and totally undamaged, you forgot to put it in, Horst. Just say sorry and send me the part, I don't care, people make mistakes. He's been great to deal with so far, but this pisses me off a little.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For me to forget something is a physical impossibility that would violate the very rules of the universe.

I CHECK THINGS OFF, ITS FOOLPROOF

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

ReelBigLizard posted:

I have presonaly paked the parcel and I delete each ordered part from the lists when I packs, therefore, that actually is impossible.

Thats so German its hilarious, even before i saw the name Horst or looked up the website i knew.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I hate this thread. Half a season on a Ninja250, and I'm already trolling craigslist for supermotos.

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

I hate this thread. Half a season on a Ninja250, and I'm already trolling craigslist for supermotos.

Join ussssss

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Re-prettied, re-piped and re-tuned.

Result: :supaburn:

690 owners; regardless of exhaust/filter set up, get a cable and follow this guide, it's really improved the small throttle opening jerkiness and the 1:1 throttle map is great. The 'comfort' throttle map is now really plush, can see it being great for more technical off road stuff.

Rejdukien
Jul 24, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

After three years on my SV, I am considering getting a supermoto, too. Maybe a KTM 625/660.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

ReelBigLizard posted:

690 owners; regardless of exhaust/filter set up, get a cable and follow this guide,

How can that throttle map possibly be right? Did you try changing just the throttle map and seeing if it made a difference?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Is there a difference between a dr-z400 and a dr 650? Dealer near where I am moving has both.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Tenchrono posted:

Is there a difference between a dr-z400 and a dr 650? Dealer near where I am moving has both.

Yes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tenchrono posted:

There are a ton of differences, but it really boils down to the fact that the DR650 is distinctly an old-school aircooled thumper, and the DRZ400 is a more modern liquid-cooled bike. Neither are super modern compared to an actual race 450.

The DR650 is a heavier bike, better for highway cruising, and can be a handful in the woods. The DRZ is lighter and better suited to trail riding, although both will do anything the other one can. I'm biased as a DRZ400 owner, but I think it does just fine on the highway.

Both are very good bikes.

What do you want to do with them? That will really help determine which way you should go.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
DRZ Guys, I need your advice.

I just found this listing. The owner replied to my emails promptly, says the title is "completely clean" and that it "runs great", and that he's kept up on maintenance for the chain and oil. But $2500 about $700 less than trade in, and much cheaper than I've ever seen one of these for.

So, I had told the owner I'd come buy it tomorrow, but now I'm having second doubts and don't want to drive out of my way for something that's going to turn out to have some severe issue. Am I making the right decision here by backing out, or should I go buy it?

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/3196477091.html

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What do you want to do with them? That will really help determine which way you should go.

Mostly street with the ability to go off roading if I ever had a hankering to do so. Unfortunatley were I am moving (Centerville, Indiana) has few supermotos on craigslist near me, mostly dirt bikes. I'm still looking at sport bikes since I loved the look of my SV but I thought it would be cool to have one that has the ability to off-road. Also, is there a major difference between dual sports and supermotos?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There arent huge differences between them, but there are differences. If you are thinking that you might want to convert to supermoto down the road, get the DRZ. Since it already came in a supermoto version from the factory, all of the supermoto parts that count (especially wheels) will bolt right on. You can also bolt the DRZ supermoto upside down forks on if you also get DRZSM triple clamps.

The DRZ will do great offroad, will do good onroad in dirt trim, and will be an exceptional onroad bike with the supermoto bits added to it. The DR650 can also be converted to supermoto, but there are much fewer options out there for it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

MetaJew posted:

DRZ Guys, I need your advice.

I just found this listing. The owner replied to my emails promptly, says the title is "completely clean" and that it "runs great", and that he's kept up on maintenance for the chain and oil. But $2500 about $700 less than trade in, and much cheaper than I've ever seen one of these for.

So, I had told the owner I'd come buy it tomorrow, but now I'm having second doubts and don't want to drive out of my way for something that's going to turn out to have some severe issue. Am I making the right decision here by backing out, or should I go buy it?

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/3196477091.html

Go and check it out. Ask him what kind of oil he uses (people who care for bikes should know off the top of their heads). It's very likely he doesn't like riding and just got sick of looking at it, so he priced it to sell. Roughly every car I've sold has been like that -- I got tired of it and I priced it such that someone would likely call me about it that week.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Supermotos especially are weird in that regard. Its like there were a bunch of people who bought them thinking "CHEAP SPORTBIKE" or something, and when they get dusted in the straights by their buddies GSXR600 they lose interest.

People who know supermoto bikes generally love them eternally, people who got into them thinking they were something else usually wind up like that ad.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Well it's too far of a drive to go check it out now, and I don't have a trailer or second person to go down with me to work out transporting it. My concern would be something like what happened to my friend. He found an R6 for about a $1k less than every other bike that was being sold. It turned out that the current owner never transferred the title into his name and the bike had been in an accident or somehow bent the triple clamp. My friend then had to track down the previous owner and get him to sign the paperwork.

Edit: And it's sold.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 11, 2012

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Zool posted:

How can that throttle map possibly be right? Did you try changing just the throttle map and seeing if it made a difference?

It's effectively a trim table not a map, the number represents how much to adjust the butterfly opening from the position you've set it with the throttle tube. 100% represents no adjustment, complete 1:1 input like a carb.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

MetaJew posted:

Edit: And it's sold.

:/ Sorry bud.

If you were on this side of the country, I'd totes have gone with you. For the future, you can rent a pickup truck from the Home Depot for $25/hr (first "hour" is 75 minutes or so). They come with ramps, and you can get tie down straps there. It's easy enough to roll a light bike onto a truck .

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
My brother has a trailer and SUV we could've towed with, but his family was going out of town today and so didn't have the time to drive down to SA and back. I still think the price was probably too good to be true.

Back to scouring craigslist. There's an 09 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 for $6600 locally, but that's a bit much for a first bike and I'm not sure if it would have too much torque/power-- although I'm fairly responsible.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

How does the Ducati Hypermotard compared to the others? Theres a few near where I am moving and I'm about to check what the insurance for it is.

E; Hahahaha, 1500 a year. Nevermind.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tenchrono posted:

How does the Ducati Hypermotard compared to the others? Theres a few near where I am moving and I'm about to check what the insurance for it is.

E; Hahahaha, 1500 a year. Nevermind.

The Hypermoto is just a big naked bike with a couple of extra inches of suspension travel. It really shares nothing with supermoto bikes, and will instantly be in over its head doing anything normally reserved for supermoto bikes.

• Locked thread