Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

be sure to tweet @njpw1972 and tell them you want to give them money to watch this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
G-1 standings

Block A:
1. Hiroshi Tanahashi [6]
-. Yujiro Takahashi [6]
-. Karl Anderson [6]
-. Naomichi Marufuji [6]
-. Minoru Suzuki [6]
-. Shelton Benjamin [6]
7. Yuji Nagata [4]
-. Toru Yano [4]
-. Satoshi Kojima [4]

Block B:
1. Shinsuke Nakamura [6]
-. Kazuchika Okada [6]
-. Tetsuya Naito [6]
-. Hiroyoshi Tenzan [6]
-. Lance Archer [6]
-. Rush [6]
7. Hirooki Goto [4]
-. Togi Makabe [4]
-. MVP [4]

Wow.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Someone's compiled a list and average of Wrestler Observer snowflake scores. It takes every single Meltzer review and averages them out. Here's a list of the top 10 wrestlers, according to snowflakes, by Dave Meltzer:

code:
Wrestle Name - Average * Rating (Accumulated)
1.   Toshiaki Kawada      - 4.40
2.   Mitsuharu Misawa     - 4.19
3.   KENTA                - 4.08
3.   El Samurai           - 4.08
5.   Kenta Kobashi        - 4.05
6.   Shinjiro Otani       - 4.03
7.   Koji Kanemoto        - 4.02
8.   Naomichi Marufuji    - 4.01
9.   Tatsuhito Takaiwa    - 4.00
10.  Akira Taue           - 3.98
Source + Top 250

It's really interesting to see KENTA up at #3. He does put on great matches nearly every single time he wrestles, but NOAH still can't draw flies.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Therein is the downfall of NOAH.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Flameingblack posted:

Someone's compiled a list and average of Wrestler Observer snowflake scores. It takes every single Meltzer review and averages them out. Here's a list of the top 10 wrestlers, according to snowflakes, by Dave Meltzer:

code:
Wrestle Name - Average * Rating (Accumulated)
1.   Toshiaki Kawada      - 4.40
2.   Mitsuharu Misawa     - 4.19
3.   KENTA                - 4.08
3.   El Samurai           - 4.08
5.   Kenta Kobashi        - 4.05
6.   Shinjiro Otani       - 4.03
7.   Koji Kanemoto        - 4.02
8.   Naomichi Marufuji    - 4.01
9.   Tatsuhito Takaiwa    - 4.00
10.  Akira Taue           - 3.98
Source + Top 250

It's really interesting to see KENTA up at #3. He does put on great matches nearly every single time he wrestles, but NOAH still can't draw flies.

You know there's something wrong with a list that has Jerry Saggs and Justin Credible on it but nobody from at the very least AJW from about the mid-'80s through the mid/late '90s.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Suben posted:

You know there's something wrong with a list that has Jerry Saggs and Justin Credible on it but nobody from at the very least AJW from about the mid-'80s through the mid/late '90s.

ProFightDB is a database that needs a lot more entries put into it. No database on the internet is complete but Toshiaki Kawada has about 600 matches on this one whereas Cagematch.net (now in english!!!) has 1000 more. Hell, Manami Toyota has ten 5 star matches but she isn't even on the list.

It's a good start, but they really need to actively work on it.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
That is also a really really deceptive list because Meltzer doesn't rate Japanese matches very often, and even less so for the last decade.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

For real. He seems to be in the loop about what's going on but as far as show reviews/match ratings they come very rarely.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Okada in the finals. I feel a Okada/Tanahashi final...

edit: I called that wrong. Kudos to Hash for putting over someone in the Semi-Finals.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Aug 12, 2012

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Okada won the G-1.

Also, both Sakuraba and Shibata appeared to say they'll be wrestling in NJ soon. Saku surprises me since he earned big bucks already; Shibata surprises me to the extent that it took this long.

The rich get richer.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

I always wondered who was better between Vance Archer and Fujiwara. Glad that's cleared up.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Ditch posted:

Okada won the G-1.

Also, both Sakuraba and Shibata appeared to say they'll be wrestling in NJ soon. Saku surprises me since he earned big bucks already; Shibata surprises me to the extent that it took this long.

The rich get richer.

Oh god yes, finally I'll get to see Shibata being a kicky bastard on my Internet box again.

Saku's kind of broken down though, isn't he?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Well as long as it's pro wrestling rather than MMA Saku will be fine. I mean nothing bad ever happens to guys doing worked matches.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Ditch posted:

Well as long as it's pro wrestling rather than MMA Saku will be fine. I mean nothing bad ever happens to guys doing worked matches.

Just like nothing bad ever happens to the Kennedys?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MadRhetoric posted:

Just like nothing bad ever happens to the Kennedys?
boy this post sucked

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Tanahashi vs Marufuji for the IWGP title next month.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I kind of agree with Meltzer that the G-1 would have been better with less parity.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ditch posted:

Tanahashi vs Marufuji for the IWGP title next month.

YEAAAAAAAAAAH!

Edit: Alex Shelley and Harry Smith gonna tour New Japan. :toot:

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 13, 2012

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
150MB of 17-year-old Japanese commercials in one .rar file. You can't NOT download!

http://theditch.us/commercials1995.rar

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Kenny Omega vs Kota Ibushi has been getting some really great build of the past couple weeks for DDT's Budokan Peter Pan 2012 (15th Anniversary show). The whole card is pretty stacked, if you follow DDT. Either way, I think we can preemptively nominated Ibushi/Omega for MOTY.

quote:

0. Special Dark Match – Muscle Army Vs Style-E Army: Muscle Sakai, Pedro Takaishi, Kazuyoshi Sakai HG, Kazunori Huzioka, Mr. Magic, Seiya Morohashi & Choun “Daikichi” Shiryu Vs Kazuhiro Tamura, Masashi Takeda,Masato Shibata, Shota, Shotaro Nasu & Choun “Bones” Shiryu
1. Konosuke Takeshita Debut Match: Konosuke Takeshita Vs El Generico
2. Tag Team Gauntlet: Keisuke Ishii & Shigehiro Irie Vs Hikaru Sato & Michael Nakazawa Vs Takao Soma & Yukio Sakaguchi Vs Isami Kodaka & Hiro Tsumaki Vs Saint Seiya Rion & Poison JULIE Sawada
3. Iron Man Heavymetalweight Title – Royal Rumble: DJ Nira (c) Vs Tomomitsu Matsunaga Vs Gorgeous Matsuno Vs Gota Ihashi Vs Akito Vs YOSHIHIKO Vs Cherry Vs NOZOMI Vs Hiroshi Fukuda Vs Daichi Kakimoto Vs Ken Ohka Vs Mio Shirai Vs Batten Tamagawa Vs Choun-Shiryu Vs Yuzuki Aikawa Vs Yoshiaki Fujiwara
4. Five-A-Side Soccer Match: Masa Takanashi, Daisuke Sasaki, Hoshitango, Tetsuya Endo & Tsukasa Fujimoto Vs Yasu Urano, Antonio Honda, Yuji Hino, Tanomusaku Toba & Yoshiko
5. KO-D Tag Team Title: KUDO & Makoto Oishi (c) Vs MIKAMI & Tatsumi Fujinami
6. Special Weapons Rumble Handicap Match: Sanshiro Takagi Vs Minoru Suzuki
7. Special Single Match: Danshoku Dino Vs Invisible Man
8. Special Hardcore Tag Team Match: HARASHIMA & Togi Makabe Vs Shuji Ishikawa & Ryuji Ito
9. KO-D Openweight Title: Kota Ibushi (c) Vs Kenny Omega

Source: Dramatic DDT

And here's some of the hype that's building into Omega/Ibushi, which by the way, will only be their second singles match ever, after becoming a team in a Best 2/3 "Anywhere" falls match.

quote:

First up was Kota Ibushi’s session held yesterday inside a dojo in Chiba. With a mountain of crash pads piled up inside the ring, Ibushi used Gota Ihashi as a crash test dummy and found numerous ways to spike Ihashi onto his head and neck. The most deadly moves used were the 24 Years Old (Orange Crush), a Razor’s Edge and a Top Rope Piledriver. Unsurprisingly, Ibushi eventually broke Ihashi and had to drag a discouraged Ken Ohka into the ring to finish off the session. And he finished it off with a Top Rope Phoenix Plex, breaking Ohka in the process.

Afterwards, Ibushi took some questions from the press in attendence. When asked about the moves he demonstrated, Ibushi said none were ever used on Omega and it will be quite a challenge to pull them off in the match. They are also moves he either rarely uses or haven’t used regularly at matches in years. However, since he is able to perform such powerful moves on a heavy wrestler like Ihashi, then he will be able to do them on the smaller wrestler like Omega. Ibushi feels the pressure being in the main event and does not expect a short and decisive battle. However, Ibushi has a lot of moves in his arsenal, some of which he is keeping secret from the public.

When Ihashi and Ohka finally regained conciousness the press asked them how painful the moves felt. Ohka said they will be much more dangerous without the mats in the ring. When asked where he feels the most damage, Ohka exclaimed “You know! The neck.” Ihashi complained about his body feeling numb and said it was not the first time he was rendered unconcious by Ibushi during his training. When asked who will win the match, both men said Ibushi.

quote:

Kenny Omega’s public session was held today in a Saitama gym. Omega was accompanied by professional fighters Isamu Sugiuchi and Jason Geiger. Omega said he took up Jiu-Jitsu specifically to target Ibushi’s weak shoulder along with developing a good ground defence and a counter for Ibushi’s leg sweeps. Omega and Sugiuchi sparred in the ring where Omega was able to outwrestle his partner and put him in a Cross Armbreaker.

When the sparring ended, Omega then talked about building up his body and his stamina with weight training. He lifted weights in a similar way to lifting opponents for the Croyt’s Wrath and followed that with the Barbell Curl and the Clean & Press. Omega said his abs were his weakness so he did these exercises to strengthen his abs and back.

Omega also took questions from the press when the session came to an end. He said he originally began training in Jiu-Jitsu back in 2004 but took a break in 2008. Today was the first time in a long time he got to train Jiu-Jitsu again. He wanted to train with Geiger because he is a champion from Canada. When asked if this style of training was only being done for the match against Ibushi, Omega said his days of training back in Canada during the summer has conditioned him to tough sessions like this and he could go on for 60 minutes. Omega also said that although he has strong moves like the Croyt’s Wrath and One-Winged Angel, he is thinking of adding all sorts of submissions to win rather than just throw out his usual techniques. Omega isn’t feeling any pressure and doesn’t find the position he is in scary at all. However, Ibushi is his friend and he does not want to injure him. He dedicates the match to all fans of DDT and promises to win the belt and have the best match.

Isamu Sugiuchi said that he met Kenny for the first time when he wrestled at a DDT just over one year ago. He called Omega an amazing talent and was surprised at how powerful he is in the ring. Jason Geiger said that Omega has been focused for a long time and is filled with more power and stamina than he has ever seen. He also said that Ibushi better have trained hard.

It looks like Kota Ibushi is going to incorporate more high-impact moves, while Omega adds more MMA-style moves to his reputoire, which should make this a little more interesting. Ibushi and Omega are two of the greatest Jr Heavyweights in Japan right now.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 17, 2012

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
DDT: Ibushi wins in 37 minutes

They're returning to Sumo Hall next year... on back-to-back nights. And Sanashiro Takagi went so far as to say that the 2017 show will be at Tokyo Dome.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

HulkaMatt posted:

Edit: Alex Shelley and Harry Smith gonna tour New Japan. :toot:

New Japan loved Harry Smith back in the day.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Who wants to watch Omega vs Ibushi in Budokan Hall?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xswt5n

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

DDT: Ibushi wins in 37 minutes

They're returning to Sumo Hall next year... on back-to-back nights. And Sanashiro Takagi went so far as to say that the 2017 show will be at Tokyo Dome.

A lot of things can happen in 5 years, but if one of those leads to DDT being able to run the Tokyo Dome...

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

By the way, the next Triple-Shot of WNC shows is going to feature Kana/Tajiri/Mikey Whipreck against Syuri/Starbuck/AKIRA.

All three matches are going to be barbwire deathmatches. There's a guy on SSO who can record stuff from TV now (It's a massive $250 service) but I have no idea if he's going to be capturing WNC (I hope he does)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USkUNQPd--M

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 19, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Watching it purely because we all know Starbuck is getting a stiff-as-all-hell kick into the wire.

And that's a good thing.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

VogeGandire posted:

Watching it purely because we all know Starbuck is getting a stiff-as-all-hell kick into the wire.

And that's a good thing.
AKIRA is also out of his goddamn gourd.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Flameingblack posted:

By the way, the next Triple-Shot of WNC shows is going to feature Kana/Tajiri/Mikey Whipreck against Syuri/Starbuck/AKIRA.

All three matches are going to be barbwire deathmatches. There's a guy on SSO who can record stuff from TV now (It's a massive $250 service) but I have no idea if he's going to be capturing WNC (I hope he does)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USkUNQPd--M
They have TV now?

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Flameingblack posted:

AKIRA is also out of his goddamn gourd.

So is TAJIRI but who are we to complain?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Aubergine Mage posted:

So is TAJIRI but who are we to complain?

Yeah, but TAJIRI plays it as a gimmick. AKIRA is just straight-up loving crazy.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Morishima defends against KENTA on 9/17.

I think KENTA actually has a chance in his 4th attempt.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ditch posted:

They have TV now?
Apparently they're on a channel called EX Sports. They're the only wrestling on that channel.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
So now Takuya Sugi is saying that he was the one who stashed the pot in Nosawa & Shirai's luggage, on orders from the guy who books Japanese people for AAA. Meanwhile, that guy only says that Sugi's fired from AAA.

The plot thickens!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Illinois Smith posted:

So now Takuya Sugi is saying that he was the one who stashed the pot in Nosawa & Shirai's luggage, on orders from the guy who books Japanese people for AAA. Meanwhile, that guy only says that Sugi's fired from AAA.

The plot thickens!
What an insane way to get rid of NOSAWA.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

IT WAS ME, NOSAWA! IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, NOSAWA!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

So if I'm understanding the implications correctly, someone in AAA disliked NOSAWA so much that they not only wanted him removed from AAA bookings but prevented from travelling to Mexico.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

coconono posted:

So if I'm understanding the implications correctly, someone in AAA disliked NOSAWA so much that they not only wanted him removed from AAA bookings but prevented from travelling to Mexico.

Blackballing from an entire country seems a bit harsh.

Although I guess blackballing from Japan is entirely possible if you buy into the Yakuza rumours.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

VogeGandire posted:

Blackballing from an entire country seems a bit harsh.

Although I guess blackballing from Japan is entirely possible if you buy into the Yakuza rumours.
If this plan would have been worked, he would have been blackballed from TWO countries. Mexico & Japan. I wouldn't have minded if he stuck to JCW so I never have to seem him again.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Illinois Smith posted:

The plot thickens!

He said that like a month ago. The plot is the same thickness!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

This doesn't really matter at all but I thought it was pretty funny that pwi500 forgot that Hiroshi Tanahashi - Champion for the biggest company in Japan throughout all of 2011 - exists. Hiroyoshi Tenzan is #11 though!!!