Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
So I started a new game with JSawyer on Very Hard and kind of expected it to be masochism mode, but so far it hasn't been too difficult. Granted I'm only at Primm, but ED-E managed to clear out the Bison Steve almost by himself. Is this due to general improvements to energy weapons, or did ED-E himself get a power boost? I've never seen the little dude tear poo poo up like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
I just installed Fallout 3 and have been trying to figure out what mods I want. Is there anything like deadly combat for skyrim? I'd like higher damage so it plays more like an FPS.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well the game finally donwloaded and I'm now beginning to download and organize my mods. I want something challenging without adding too much.

My core will be what seems to be the goon favorites of:
- PN
- JSawyer
- CCO

Am I understanding things right that these 3 will play nice with each other? Is there a particular load order I should keep in mind with them?

I'm still trying to decide if I want to add anything else as far as armor and weapons. Have there been any good mods this year? Steam says I haven't played since October '11 so I'd love to know what I may have missed.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is there a mod that will make ED-E fly over the loving ankle-high fences?

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

RichterIX posted:

Is there a mod that will make ED-E fly over the loving ankle-high fences?

Sadly no, the way Ed-E is designed I believe it's fairly difficult to accomplish this. The way he's coded in the game it's almost as if he has invisible legs. He's 'grounded' so to speak.

Edit: I'm curious about this now, because there was that Japanese mod that added a creepy anime flying midget girl. I can't remember if the same limitations applied to that companion though.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/47457/

Released a standalone M37 Ithaca. Thanks to Naky for conversion/plugin again!

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

FuriousGeorge posted:

So I started a new game with JSawyer on Very Hard and kind of expected it to be masochism mode, but so far it hasn't been too difficult. Granted I'm only at Primm, but ED-E managed to clear out the Bison Steve almost by himself. Is this due to general improvements to energy weapons, or did ED-E himself get a power boost? I've never seen the little dude tear poo poo up like that.

I think the difficulty is somewhat overstated by others for JSawyer. I've found the difficulty more in that good stimpacks are now much more scarce etc. Having said that, I'm surprised you're having such an easy time of it in combat on Very Hard. I'm about level 31 in OWB right now and am constantly having my health sapped.

Beaumont
Dec 12, 2011

Rather Dashing posted:

I think the difficulty is somewhat overstated by others for JSawyer. I've found the difficulty more in that good stimpacks are now much more scarce etc. Having said that, I'm surprised you're having such an easy time of it in combat on Very Hard. I'm about level 31 in OWB right now and am constantly having my health sapped.

Yeah, I'm level 15 and things have really evened out on that front. It was a pretty uphill until level 10 or so, but now I have That Gun and Boone (with CCO's Companion Tweaks) and we're pretty much tearing through everything. Anyone got any suggestions to ramp the difficulty back up?

Speaking of CCO, any news on the global CCO FT module? I'm really looking forward to that, I'm planning on bringing the Dead Money companions back with me. Well, Dean.

Oh, and is there a quick and dirty way for LPAM to make it so Pre-War Surplus helmets are the only kind that spawn on NCR troops? Ever since me and Boone took Nelson in full NCR gear I can't bring myself to take it off.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Beaumont posted:

Oh, and is there a quick and dirty way for LPAM to make it so Pre-War Surplus helmets are the only kind that spawn on NCR troops? Ever since me and Boone took Nelson in full NCR gear I can't bring myself to take it off.

You could just rename and replace the model, otherwise already-spawned NPCs will keep their old helmets.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Can we get the OP updated with some most popular or must have goon recommended mods?

UPDATED ON 09 AUGUST 2012

Try putting up some sirens there when you get off of probation, CoP.

Arenovalis posted:

This looks wonderful.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

FuriousGeorge posted:

I can't stand some of the "survival simulator" mods that have come out for games like this, but I've been enjoying JSawyer. Weight is limited so I'm a lot more picky on what I loot and make it a point to visit every merchant I see, I always scrounge for food/water, I dump points into Survival, and I visit doctors more frequently. It hasn't really made the game harder, it's just made it less of a "oh I got shot 100 times, and I'll just use three of these fifty Stimpacks I have" which has made the game much more enjoyable for me.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

FuriousGeorge posted:

As you're learning, JSawyer.esp doesn't really make the game harder. If you're thorough, you can have 20 or 22 stimpaks before you hit Primm, and the number only goes up from there. The mod is still very good: I particularly like the changes to armor and NPCs (Deranged Bright Followers!) and the mod does make a good base for a harder game. But I think the "JSawyer.esp makes this game a desperate survival simulator!" sentiment is greatly overstated.

I've gone through and edited a lot of it with much harsher drop rates (Chems are exceedingly rare, now: somewhere in the 1/20 to 1/25 chance-to-loot area.) Then I dropped some Puce Moose and CCO plugins in on top of it to even things out. For example, Puce Moose has a module that can reduce hand-placed loot. You wouldn't believe how much of your inventory comes from stimpaks placed on shelves and closets until a mod is randomly removing 80 or 90 percent of it.

Spoke Lee posted:

I just installed Fallout 3 and have been trying to figure out what mods I want. Is there anything like deadly combat for skyrim? I'd like higher damage so it plays more like an FPS.

For FO3? Either Onehitters' Combat Realism module or this Combat mod. I can't personally vouch for either, but if you want something I can stand behind, you might want to try out Fallout: Wanderer's Edition (FWE). It's very modular and you may be able to tweak it to get the desired effect. Everybody seems to use it.

Little Abigail posted:

UPDATED ON 09 AUGUST 2012

Try putting up some sirens there when you get off of probation, CoP.

Hmmm...that's not a bad idea.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 11, 2012

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I screwed around with the days some more, bloom is incredibly fuzzy, Now it's just waiting until he includes some of his custom SSAO.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Arenovalis posted:

File hidden?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

SpookyLizard posted:

File hidden?

Keep trying. Nexus is making GBS threads itself.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there any way I could get New Vegas to run from an external harddrive? I don't have enough space on my hd for all the modding I plan on doing, is it even possible?

Spoke Lee posted:

I used FWE throughout my playthroughs, you can tweak it to where you and enemies die in a couple of hits. Much more fast paced than soaking 2 clips into a super mutants head.

bef fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 11, 2012

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!
Is it possible to tweak Fellout so that it's not so dark at night?

willjbish
Nov 8, 2011
Nevada skies has a separate download called night brightness adjuster. It worked for me when I was using Fellout.

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!

willjbish posted:

Nevada skies has a separate download called night brightness adjuster. It worked for me when I was using Fellout.

Thanks!

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Does anyone know why AGSU might be slowing my poo poo down massively? Game runs perfectly until I pull out any weapon from AG supplementary uniques, then I get a pretty sharp drop in FPS. Game gets very choppy :(

I am using WME with the correct AG WME compatible .esp's, and I think I have all the plugins done correctly. I hope. Nothing else has caused any problems so far, only those weapons. I remember having that mod installed a long time ago, but I don't remember any across the board slowdown like I'm getting.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

vandalism posted:

Does anyone know why AGSU might be slowing my poo poo down massively? Game runs perfectly until I pull out any weapon from AG supplementary uniques, then I get a pretty sharp drop in FPS. Game gets very choppy :(

I am using WME with the correct AG WME compatible .esp's, and I think I have all the plugins done correctly. I hope. Nothing else has caused any problems so far, only those weapons. I remember having that mod installed a long time ago, but I don't remember any across the board slowdown like I'm getting.

Naky said it's something about mesh errors. I noticed the same thing on an older version of AGSU: Drawing certain weapons would cause my FPS to plummet for no discernible reason. If it's any AGSU weapon, I don't know what to tell you. The problem was always with particular models, at least on my end.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
It has done it at pretty much the same rate for each weapon I've tried so far. I only got to Primm in my latest playthrough in quite some time, so I hope that the better guns that I find don't do it! Even poo poo like this Capitan gun, which looks like it's basically a 9mm, does the fps thing. Could my load order be hosed or something?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

vandalism posted:

It has done it at pretty much the same rate for each weapon I've tried so far. I only got to Primm in my latest playthrough in quite some time, so I hope that the better guns that I find don't do it! Even poo poo like this Capitan gun, which looks like it's basically a 9mm, does the fps thing. Could my load order be hosed or something?

It definitely wouldn't be a load order issue. Just to confirm, it doesn't occur with any vanilla weapons. For example, an ordinary 9mm pistol is fine, but the "Capitan" handgun is not?

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Correct. All of the vanilla weapons work fine, no FPS loss whatsoever. I haven't used any other type of mod weapons yet. I am using arenovalis's texture re-vamp and those guns look beautiful and cause no fps loss. Haven't tried any wme modded guns, Project Nevada added guns, or anything else from a mod. Vanilla weapons work fine, AG ones do not. Maybe I should try to find more guns from AG and see if they do it. I here there is a test room I can port to, so I may try that and see.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

vandalism posted:

Correct. All of the vanilla weapons work fine, no FPS loss whatsoever. I haven't used any other type of mod weapons yet. I am using arenovalis's texture re-vamp and those guns look beautiful and cause no fps loss. Haven't tried any wme modded guns, Project Nevada added guns, or anything else from a mod. Vanilla weapons work fine, AG ones do not. Maybe I should try to find more guns from AG and see if they do it. I here there is a test room I can port to, so I may try that and see.

I don't know about a test room, but if you open up the mod in GECK and get formids for them, you can just "player.additem [mod index][formid] 1" the weapons in-game, one by one.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Naky said it's something about mesh errors. I noticed the same thing on an older version of AGSU: Drawing certain weapons would cause my FPS to plummet for no discernible reason. If it's any AGSU weapon, I don't know what to tell you. The problem was always with particular models, at least on my end.

I didn't, nope. I've never checked out AGS because it's utterly repulsive in my opinion. But it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the meshes were unorganized, unoptimized poo poo that resulted in performance loss.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Naky posted:

I didn't, nope. I've never checked out AGS because it's utterly repulsive in my opinion. But it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the meshes were unorganized, unoptimized poo poo that resulted in performance loss.

Yes huh. Though what you said was slightly different, but I might as well requote it for the sake of Vandalism.

Naky posted:

Incorrectly copied and pasted bits in nifskope can cause glitches like notes/material properties that look like they are named but are actually blank OR even worse auto assign some sort of animation call tag to a material property. A lot of times this will cause crashes with your game either instantly or over time, but I imagine it would also drop performance even if it doesn't crash right away since the game's trying to apply animations to texture properties...

Now, whether or not that's the issue, who knows. I mentioned it to the author, who said she didn't find any issues on her end. But the FPS drop was definitely tangible.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 12, 2012

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I finally bought New Vegas after forever. I've never touched it before so I just want to play it through with some very basic mods that don't affect gameplay at all. I'm thinking western skies and some performance enhancers. If I have the game on steam do I still use the fallout mod manager?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Megasabin posted:

I finally bought New Vegas after forever. I've never touched it before so I just want to play it through with some very basic mods that don't affect gameplay at all. I'm thinking western skies and some performance enhancers. If I have the game on steam do I still use the fallout mod manager?

Well you don't _have_ to use FOMM, it's just highly recommended you do, and the game wasn't available on anything other than Steam so-

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yes huh. Though what you said was slightly different, but I might as well requote it for the sake of Vandalism.

Now, whether or not that's the issue, who knows. I mentioned it to the author, who said she didn't find any issues on her end. But the FPS drop was definitely tangible.

Yeah, but I still have never downloaded or checked out AGS :smug:

I could take a glance through it, I guess, but I really don't care about that mod at all.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I tested all of the guns that I could in the test room, and they all did it. I'm going to uninstall and hope for the best.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't know about a test room, but if you open up the mod in GECK and get formids for them, you can just "player.additem [mod index][formid] 1" the weapons in-game, one by one.

It's warehousebathrooms2, iirc. It's on the AGSU page. I popped in there to test out the various guns and didn't really have any issues with slow downs. Except when i dropped a bunch of them on the ground and shot rockets at them.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.
Retexturing Lucky wheee

Need to remove the dirt layers from the handle and tweak a bunch of poo poo

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Upmarket Mango posted:

Well you don't _have_ to use FOMM, it's just highly recommended you do, and the game wasn't available on anything other than Steam so-

I installed it, but when I'm on the nexus website and it says "download with manager" I click that link, and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Megasabin posted:

I installed it, but when I'm on the nexus website and it says "download with manager" I click that link, and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

That's for the Nexus Mod Manager, which I personally don't recommend. Download and install your mods manually, and use FOMM.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Or you can be a cool dude and use Mod Organizer, to which they just added full FOMOD support. (The FOMOD stuff is in the optional files, NCC v0_2 specifically; just make sure you download the 0_11_5 update, as it is the only version of MO that can run that version of NCC at the moment)

Arenovalis posted:

pretty guns
Lucky is pretty much my favorite revolver to use in the game (Mysterious Magnum PFFT), glad to see you're doing it some justice.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 12, 2012

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I like the AG mod, but I uninstalled it since the problems I was having made it prohibitive to use. I could have just not used the guns, I guess. Game is running fine. It was running fine then, just not with any of the guns on screen :( Maybe it's some weird mod interaction or something I messed up, or because I installed using a combination of nexus mod manager and manual installs. The world may never know.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For The Armory, do I need to check anything besides the Main File or would I need to at least pick the Main Leveled List to ever see the weapons?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

For The Armory, do I need to check anything besides the Main File or would I need to at least pick the Main Leveled List to ever see the weapons?

The esm by itself will do absolutely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arenovalis posted:

Retexturing Lucky wheee

Need to remove the dirt layers from the handle and tweak a bunch of poo poo

I have no idea if that's what you're going for, but the gold accents on this thing look straight-up garish, in my opinion. Tone them down a bit or try something else. Maybe just standard engraving?