Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

DownByTheWooter posted:

In my experience, the best rice to use for fried rice is day-old, leftover rice kept in the refrigerator.

Right, and keep it uncovered overnight if your rice is even slightly too mushy. Using freshly cooked rice, even if cooled to room temp, makes for a mushy, sticky mess of a fried rice dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I was using relatively fresh, cooled rice because I haven't really been able to plan when I'd want fried rice a day in advance. The rice would always stick together like it was glued until I began reheating the rice in the pan, at which point it would stop sticking.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
Whenever I make fried rice, and don't have any leftovers available, I toast the rice in a little oil before I add the water. Toast just until the rice turns bright white, then add water.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express
So it seems that butter is actually pretty simple, but I'd have to wait until at least September for it to be viable. I'd just pack it in a small plastic container with an ice-pack, freeze the whole thing, shove it into a flat rate envelope and mail it over.

Thus, if anyone wants a bar or two of pasture butter, hit me up in four weeks =D.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

The Tinfoil Price posted:

So it seems that butter is actually pretty simple, but I'd have to wait until at least September for it to be viable. I'd just pack it in a small plastic container with an ice-pack, freeze the whole thing, shove it into a flat rate envelope and mail it over.

Thus, if anyone wants a bar or two of pasture butter, hit me up in four weeks =D.

Awesome! I'd totally be down for that.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

10 Beers posted:

Awesome! I'd totally be down for that.

Seconded. That'll likely arrive just in time for stews, shepherds pies, and all sorts of dishes where good butter would be a star flavor.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'll go for it. Thanks.

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
Excellent cheap salad, nice with seasoned steak, tuna or a green salad.

Toast a handful of sesame seeds (on a medium hot pan for about ten minutes, toss every few minute or so, more frequently towards the end) meanwhile grate four or five carrots add the juice of a lemon mix and then combine with the toasted seeds. Delicious. Simple.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Logiwonk posted:

My recipe for pinto beans:

Thanks for this, I finally got that smooth texture rather than grainy like usual. Is the process the same for other beans? (navy, kidney, black, cannellini)

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

I'd like some whenever it becomes possible, but even in the fall, I think it'd just melt in the truck in my city. Last winter we wore shorts and ran the a/c for all but the two coldest weeks, and even then it never got really cold.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If you're tasting your fat that you're cooking with, you're not adding enough spices. :( This doesn't apply for finishing fats, like extra virgin olive oil, smoked sesame oil, and things that you're meant to taste because you added them at the end. I'm referring to folk talking about the huge difference that ______ fat makes in the taste when they're using it to sautee their aromatics, et al.

Make daal. Seriously. You can use any beans you like. If you can find only cumin seeds, use that, and forget the rest. It'll still be tasty. The point is to use whole spices, rather than ground, because whole spices stay fresh for a much longer time than ground, and when you bite into a little cumin seed, you get a big burst of flavour. Everything doesn't taste homogeneous. The smells are incredible. And, you can use the cheapest oil that you can find (preferably corn, canola, or something else that can stand up to high heat cooking). Butter or olive oil is actually /not good/ for daal, because you're going to end up with too much burning. Ghee is fine, but you don't actually end up tasting it at the end, which is why oil works so well. It's poor people food.

I've talked about how to make it a billion times, so post stalk me if you can. If you can't, look online. Look for any recipe that includes whole spices. Here's a quick rundown:

1 lb beans of your liking, cooked; Reserve the cooking liquid
3 TB oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed lightly
1 onion, chopped
3 - 5 tomatoes, chopped (fresh; if you use canned, make sure that you get a brand without calcium chloride, as the CaCl makes the tomatoes not break down, which you need to have happen)
OPTIONAL: 1 bunch coriander, chopped

In a large stock pot, combine the oil and mustard seeds. Crank up the heat to high, and let the seeds pop. You want a large pot, because the mustard seeds will try to get all over your kitchen otherwise. If you have a splatter guard, this is the time to use it. Else, use the lid of the pot. Else, let a few seeds escape, and move on with life.

Add the cumin seeds, and coriander seeds. Allow them to pop as well. Add the onions, and sautee until just soft. Add the tomatoes, and cook until they break down into a sort of gravy. Add the cooked beans, and bring to a boil. Adjust the thickness of the stew with the cooking liquid, or plain water as you prefer.

You don't need stock, because the flavour of the onions, tomatoes, and spices are strong enough to overpower any stock you add to it. You don't need fancy fats, because everything will be well flavoured without them, and you won't taste them anyway. You can add chopped garlic and ginger (NOT ginger garlic paste, please) along with the tomatoes to bump up the flavour if you wish. You can also add turmeric along with the onions to give everything a beautiful golden colour, and most appetising aroma. You can add a few fenugreek seeds along with the cumin and coriander to make the liquid get a more rounded texture. You can mix and match your beans, if you have leftovers of a few kinds.

You can add chopped scallions instead of onions, if you prefer. If you don't like coriander (for whatever reason), feel free to use parsley instead. If you're feeling adventurous, and want to poke around with different herbs, feel free to add dried thyme and/or oregano along with the onions. It totally changes the taste. If you want a richer liquid, add tomato paste (a couple of tablespoons) along with the tomatoes.

If you like, you can also augment it with your favourite leftover veg from the night before, be it collard greens, spinach, peas, corn, potatoes, yucca, plantains, whatever. Yes, you can use tinned beans, and they'll be fine.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

dino. posted:

If you're tasting your fat that you're cooking with, you're not adding enough spices. :( This doesn't apply for finishing fats, like extra virgin olive oil, smoked sesame oil, and things that you're meant to taste because you added them at the end. I'm referring to folk talking about the huge difference that ______ fat makes in the taste when they're using it to sautee their aromatics, et al.

Wat. Duck fat is amazing for hashbrowns, scallops, eggs etc. Same with beef tallow. If you can't taste the animal fat then you're adding too much spices. We may simply have different preferences for where we obtain flavor. I like the flavors from animal fats to be subtle, and usually use them in/on the main starch/protein rather than to sautee aromatics. I tend to err on the side of underspicing, so I may just be doing things wrong.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Lol @ telling the vegan Indian guy he's over spicing things and to use animal fat.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 19, 2012

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

mich posted:

Here's a very low effort but delicious bread from the Bread Baker's Apprentice. It's my favorite baguette, and you can scale down the recipe to make however much you want.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/2723/pain-lancienne-recipe
I love making bread with a steam pan but the oven at my new place only has one rack. I tried putting a Pyrex dish on my baking stone next to the bread, but it cracked and sent Pyrex flying all over my oven as soon as I added the water.

Any alternatives to get some moisture? Could probably use a water sprayer every 5 minutes or so?

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

ashgromnies posted:

I love making bread with a steam pan but the oven at my new place only has one rack. I tried putting a Pyrex dish on my baking stone next to the bread, but it cracked and sent Pyrex flying all over my oven as soon as I added the water.

Any alternatives to get some moisture? Could probably use a water sprayer every 5 minutes or so?

I forget what thread it was, but an actual baker said he/she used this exact procedure at home: open, spray the walls quickly, shut.
Not every five minutes, though; your oven won't be able to maintain temperature.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

ashgromnies posted:

New American Pyrex might as well be called "bullshit glass". As you've already discovered, it takes as well to sudden temperature change as an empty 40 of Mickey's does.

I'd say just go down to the thrift store and spend a dollar or so on an equivalent metal pan. Even something like a ring mold should do, if it only needs to hold about a cup or water at a time.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

ashgromnies posted:

You can use a ceramic mug - especially if you put hot/boiling water in the mug (rather than starting with cold water). Kilns are substantially hotter than even the best home ovens, so ceramic is fine in an oven.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Has anybody taken the initiative to summarize all these recipies somewhere? Or, conversely, is there a good online resource for cheap cooking recipies?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Death of Rats posted:

You can use a ceramic mug - especially if you put hot/boiling water in the mug (rather than starting with cold water). Kilns are substantially hotter than even the best home ovens, so ceramic is fine in an oven.
The problem isn't "what is the maximum temperature this item can handle," the problem is fast change sin temperature. The Pyrex could would have no problem sitting in the oven no matter how hot it got - it shattered because water was added to it. I'm not sure a ceramic mug will necessarily be resistant to this, although boiling water would help.

Cyril Sneer posted:

Has anybody taken the initiative to summarize all these recipies somewhere? Or, conversely, is there a good online resource for cheap cooking recipies?
This cookbook is basically a summary of the tips in this thread. I know it says "vegetarian" on it but it's basically a "teach you how to cook like a poor person" cookbook which means adding meat is super easy once you've learned what you are doing. dino's post in this thread (the second one, right after the OP) is also a good summary, insofar as once you've got the ingredients it's just a matter of combining them in various ways (which the cookbook will help you out with).

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 20, 2012

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Me and my girlfriend have had no stove to cook with for the past 2 weeks, so we've been getting by using just our 7 quart slow cooker. So far, we've made salsa verde chicken burrito bowls, chilimac, meat loaf, and spaghetti. Each meal lasted us at least 2 days and cost us less than $10. If you guys want, I can post the recipes.

n00b
Jul 13, 2006
There's a pretty good recipe archive here;

http://www.theskintfoodie.com/recipe-archive.html

for cheap food that tastes good. The blog is run by a guy who used to have a high-flying career in the city, but ended up having a breakdown and losing everything. He used to eat at Michelin starred restaurants regularly, and now tries to cook good food on a pretty severe budget (he's on the dole). Good reading for anyone who is trying to eat well on a tight budget. I've made the courgette + dill soup and the white bean + chorizo stew, both were very tasty.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

neogeo0823 posted:

Me and my girlfriend have had no stove to cook with for the past 2 weeks, so we've been getting by using just our 7 quart slow cooker. So far, we've made salsa verde chicken burrito bowls, chilimac, meat loaf, and spaghetti. Each meal lasted us at least 2 days and cost us less than $10. If you guys want, I can post the recipes.

Of course we want em, this is a thread for recipes. Burrito bowl especially.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Wat. Duck fat is amazing for hashbrowns, scallops, eggs etc. Same with beef tallow. If you can't taste the animal fat then you're adding too much spices. We may simply have different preferences for where we obtain flavor. I like the flavors from animal fats to be subtle, and usually use them in/on the main starch/protein rather than to sautee aromatics. I tend to err on the side of underspicing, so I may just be doing things wrong.

:psyduck:

Edit: Also, I hope to god you're not making the mac part of chili mac and the spaghetti part of spaghetti in the crock pot. :barf:

nicky_glasses
Jun 20, 2011

Toyland Social Club

LogisticEarth posted:

This is rough, I have to deal with that too, so I'll be watching the thread for any advice. If it takes an hour to cook a meal, that usually means I'm saying "gently caress it" and eating out of a can. 12 hours at work + 8 hours sleep + commute time = >4 hours remaining. Considering that I'm usually messing around in the morning for at least an hour trying to wake up, that leaves less than 2-3 hours in the evening to do everything else. Spending an hour and a half on dinner is both a luxury and a hassle.

If you work 12 hour days or unusual split shifts, etc, then my best advice is to prepare large quantities of ingredients when you can. Before I worked from home a pound of black beans would soak overnight, cook it up the next evening, and the next day I'd have to just shred some cheese and add some veggies to to make a burrito or quesedilla, etc. Or maybe I grilled a ton of meat, or cooked up a couple cups of rice.

The idea is to have large (i prefer the snap lock containers that hold food a lot longer) containers of beans, rice, chopped veggies, whatever cooked up meat you had, so you can just assemble later on. A lot of stuff can go into the freezer as well for extra storage.

Also a slow-cooker was my best friend (coming home from work with a pot full of warm goodness).

It's really not too difficult when you get used to it.

I assume with 12 hours days you likely get an off day or two or three, you can spend a couple hours there cooking out large amounts of ingredients for assemblage for the rest of the week!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Casu Marzu posted:

Edit: Also, I hope to god you're not making the mac part of chili mac and the spaghetti part of spaghetti in the crock pot. :barf:
Yes, yes I was. I thought it'd be weird as well, but in all honesty, it works out great. The noodles absorb a ton of moisture that I'd otherwise have to evaporate out somehow, and they take on the flavor of the dish beautifully.

An observer posted:

Of course we want em, this is a thread for recipes. Burrito bowl especially.

Ask, and ye shall receive.

Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken:

You'll need the following:

Slow cooked salsa chicken
cilantro-lime rice
shredded cheese
shredded lettuce (my local grocery store has a "by weight" salad bar. $1 worth of lettuce chopped with a knife worked great for this)
sour cream, refried beans, tomatoes, any extra toppings you want

For the meat, Follow this recipe.

Substitute your favorite jar of salsa verde for the red salsa. Instead of canned chipotles in adobo, use canned chopped jalapenos to your spice liking. The can I had was very mild, so I used the whole thing. Instead of chili powder, use liberal amounts of dried ground coriander.

At the end, I had juuust enough juice leftover to make this perfectly moist. If you don't end up having enough, add a bit more salsa in at the end.

For the rice, follow this recipe. I cooked mine in a rice cooker, but you could do this in the slow cooker if you clean it out after the chicken's done. You'd just need to keep it on high, let the water come to a boil, then treat it the same as a pot afterward. If you do cook this in a rice cooker, throw the rice, water, and bouillon in together, then add the lime and cilantro at the end. I didn't add salt, and it came out perfectly fine. YMMV.

Once the rice and chicken are done, take a bowl, add some shredded lettuce, then rice, then chicken, then other toppings, followed by the cheese. I bought an 85 cent can of refried beans, so my order was lettuce, rice, beans, chicken, sour cream, cheese.

Enjoy with a fork, and your cheapest shot of tequila or glass of margarita.

Slow Cooker Meatloaf:

Follow this recipe as a base. I did make some alterations. instead of straight ketchup on top of the meatloaf, I used the glaze from Alton Brown's Good Eats Meatloaf. I found the meatloaf to be a bit salty, personally, but it was extremely cheap. You could totally do any other meatloaf, including Alton Brown's, this way though.

Slow Cooker Chilimac:

Use this recipe.

We substituted the envelope of chili seasoning for a bunch of chili powder, cayenne, cumin, and some other spices we had laying around. We also added a can of diced tomatoes and green chiles in for the extra moisture and spice. The one thing we noticed is that the dish turned out almost pink, not the red in the picture. We don't quite know why. It still tasted really good though, and fed us for 3 days.

Slow Cooker Spaghetti:

This was really the only recipe we didn't pull from another site. Taking what we learned from our previous recipes, we bought the following:

1lb of ground beef, 80/20
1/2box of noodles
2 jars of your favorite spaghetti sauce, I suggest Francesco Rinaldi
1 medium onion, diced
shredded cheese/shaker cheese

Dice the onion and place it in the slow cooker with the beef. Turn the cooker to high and put the lid on. Let the meat brown in the cooker for 30-45 minutes, stirring maybe once. Once the meat's browned, add the jars of sauce. Cover and cook for 4 hours on high.

After 4 hours, the top of the sauce should have lots of moisture and grease bubbling around. At this point, add the noodles and stir. If you're using spaghetti or linguine, it might be best to break the noodles in half, then sort of fold the sauce into the noodles so you don't break too many of them. Penne probably works best as the noodle of choice.

After 30 minutes, stir again and check the noodles to see how done they are. If they're tender, turn the cooker off and give it another 5-10 minutes to cool down before serving.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

:gonk:

neogeo0823 posted:

Yes, yes I was. I thought it'd be weird as well, but in all honesty, it works out great. The noodles absorb a ton of moisture that I'd otherwise have to evaporate out somehow, and they take on the flavor of the dish beautifully.

Ask, and ye shall receive.

Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken:

Slow Cooker Meatloaf:

Slow Cooker Chilimac:

Slow Cooker Spaghetti:

This is just completely awful and doesn't satisfy either the "cheap" or the "good" requirements of the thread.

Jarred sauces and envelope seasonings are never cheaper and are always worse than making the component yourself. I understand you didn't have a stove but ffs make your own chile powder, it's not hard. Buy some tomatillos, peppers, and onions and make your own salsa verde. Whatever the hell is chilimac, I've no idea but that sounds like some godawful trashy midwest hamburgerhelper swill. Same with slowcooker spaghetti. And meatloaf :psyduck:

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 20, 2012

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
If the stove is going to be out of commission for a while, you could always pick up one of these and expand your cooking options. Make some of your own pasta sauce in the slow cooker (big can crushed tomatoes, regular can diced tomatoes, chopped onions, some garlic, whatever Italian herbs you like, salt, pepper) and then make not-slow-cooked pasta in a pot over the burner. You can also braise things really nicely with the slow cooker. Use the burner + skillet for browning meat, then dump in slow cooker with onions and potatoes and whatnot and some broth/crushed tomatoes/cooking wine and seasonings or whatever, and then when it's close to done, use the burner to make a side of rice or pasta.

Just a suggestion. That's what I'd do if my stove was broken. That and just grill stuff all the time.

--

Also thanks to this thread, my bf and I have had people amazed at how well we eat on a tight budget. My bf's friend was all shocked the other day that we were having an epic Cuban-style pork loin roast on a random weekday. Fact of the matter was that the pork loin was on sale for $1.98/lb (had to buy the whole loin, but got it cut into smaller roast portions) and rice and beans and onions are cheap as dirt, and I've built up a good spice rack, so doing something epic like that is actually very inexpensive for us. I've come to love all the cheap cuts of meat like shank and spareribs and buying as much stuff as I can without an ingredients list.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

You are a huge rear end and are completely unhelpful.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
What's wrong with meatloaf?! Meatloaf is tasty. Toss some Sriracha in the glaze for fun.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Grav is being a dick about it, but everything you've posted is, while sufficiently nutritious to count as food, isn't exactly something to be proud of. It's good that you're finding ways of keeping yourselves alive without resorting to fast food, but mushy chicken, mushy spaghetti, and mushy whatever the hell chilimac is...yuck.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Basically, none of the foods that you posted benefit in any way from being cooked in a slow cooker. If you were cooking beans, or braising meat, or doing any number of other things that benefit from low, long-term heat, then you'd be doing great, but the things that you did post kind of fall under the umbrella of "midwestern culinary disaster" and every one of them would be substantially improved by being made differently.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
We had no stove for two months, literally just an electric frying pan and a microwave and still managed to make food that was so, so much better than that.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

GrAviTy84 posted:

:gonk:

This is just completely awful and doesn't satisfy either the "cheap" or the "good" requirements of the thread.

I'll concede that it's not "good" in the sense that it's not exactly the healthiest option for you, but cheap is definitely a word I'd use with those recipes. All of those recipes fed two people for 2-3 days apiece, at a cost of roughly $2-$3.50 per person per day. That's cheap as hell for food in this area.

Sure, I could've made my own sauces and not used canned stuff, but I've done the math, and that only works in my favor if I make huge batches and eat the same thing for a week straight.

Also, chilimac is chili with macaroni, and it's loving delicious. :colbert:

Authentic You posted:

Just a suggestion. That's what I'd do if my stove was broken. That and just grill stuff all the time.
That's a good suggestion, and if I had the money, I'd make that investment.

Just for the curious, you can brown meat in the slowcooker as well. As I said earlier, add your ground beef to the slow cooker on high. If there's room, take a fork and spread the meat around the bottom as thin as you can. That'll help it brown better. It won't get nice and "hamburger patty" brown, but it'll definitely cook to edible standards in about 30-45 minutes.

Also, I know that using the slow cooker this way isn't going to produce stellar foods. However, it's the largest cooking implement we have, and I can't afford to buy anything else.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

I'll concede that it's not "good" in the sense that it's not exactly the healthiest option for you, but cheap is definitely a word I'd use with those recipes. All of those recipes fed two people for 2-3 days apiece, at a cost of roughly $2-$3.50 per person per day. That's cheap as hell for food in this area.

Sure, I could've made my own sauces and not used canned stuff, but I've done the math, and that only works in my favor if I make huge batches and eat the same thing for a week straight.

Also, chilimac is chili with macaroni, and it's loving delicious. :colbert:

Just for the curious, you can brown meat in the slowcooker as well. As I said earlier, add your ground beef to the slow cooker on high. If there's room, take a fork and spread the meat around the bottom as thin as you can. That'll help it brown better. It won't get nice and "hamburger patty" brown, but it'll definitely cook to edible standards in about 30-45 minutes.

Also, I know that using the slow cooker this way isn't going to produce stellar foods. However, it's the largest cooking implement we have, and I can't afford to buy anything else.

That is not "browning". That is, like, "greying". You cannot brown meat in a slow cooker, it doesn't get hot enough. Stop with your chilimac abominations and make brisket, or carnitas, or oxtail, or rice and beans, or or or. There are a huge number of things that BENEFIT from long cooking at low heat. Make some of them.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

+

Stop showing off with your fancy slow cooker.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

For a tomato sauce, no one is suggesting you use fresh tomatoes. They usually suck anyway, except for like right now, and even right now they usually suck in supermarkets. I can't fathom a world where canned tomatoes, an onion, some garlic, herbs/spices, and (if you're feeling spendy) cheapass red wine becomes more expensive than buying jarred sauce.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Yeah seriously, stop trying to justify this it's horrendous. I have huge doubts about the texture of noodles after they have spent over 30-40 minutes in a slow cooker. Also, pre-made spaghetti sauce is expensive, just make your own with cans of tomatoes and spices and veggies. It's gonna cost less money and be more delicious and is still super easy to make.

The only reason to have pre-made spaghetti sauce is to have something ready in 5 minutes because you're in a huge hurry when you forgot to thaw your frozen spaghetti sauce and there's nothing left in the fridge.

--

I have a question about pulled pork.

I often make the pulled pork recipe that is described in the OP (although I made many alterations because I like to add a bunch of extra stuff to mine). Last time I made it, I didn't have any BBQ sauce left and didn't have time to make some with the juices left in the slow cooker.

So I froze all my pulled pork into individual portions. Do you guys have any good idea of what to use the meat in except pulled pork sandwich and the like? I always eat my pulled pork with BBQ sauce on bread. Any other good way to eat it while it's still "virgin" of any sauce?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
Crisp some up in a skillet and make tacos!

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

neogeo0823 posted:

I was actually talking about browning meat in terms of braising. Like taking your hunk of meat and searing the surfaces in a skillet before putting it into the slow cooker with the braising liquid.

Also, if you absolutely can't fix your stove anytime soon, I really do think putting down the ten bucks for a single electric burner would be a worthwhile investment. Think about the time you can save. Want to cook some ground beef for, say, tacos? Cook on your little burner for five or so minutes, season, have tacos ready in 10 minutes instead of 45. It'll probably be a lot more versatile than your slow cooker. If you have a pot and a skillet (I'm assuming you do since you had a working stove until recently) you can make eggs, bacon, oatmeal, pan-seared meat, stir fry, fajitas, not-mushy pasta, rice, sauteed anything, etc. You can't make crispy bacon in a slow cooker.

And then when you have your stove working again, you can sell your single burner on Craigslist and get some of your money back. So in the end, it will have cost you like 5-6 dollars, expanded your cooking horizons greatly, and left your slow cooker to cook things that are meant to be slow cooked, like spareribs and black beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Here is something you can do with a slow cooker (I think? I don't own one but this is a braising type of recipe) also I just kind of throw stuff together so it's going to be vague as hell.

Paprikas

1 onion, chopped
1/2 (or so) cup liquid (wine or stock preferable but water will do)

1-2 lbs meat cut into smallish pieces
1-2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
1-2 Tb paprika (however much you want, sweetie)
salt and pepper
1-2 cups stock

serve with: sour cream

Step one: put your onion and liquid together in your cooker and let them just hang out together over low heat for a very very long time. Like half an hour at least. The idea is to release all the awesome flavor from the onions and basically disintegrate them, very slowly and gently.

Step 1.5: Ideally you would brown the meat buuuuuut in this case you're poor and terrible (stop being terrible)

Step two: dump in everything else and let it braise (gentle simmer) for like an hour depending on meat. Until it's tender. Don't overcook into mush for the love of god. Just because you CAN let something cook in a crock pot all drat day doesn't mean you should! This is not that kind of recipe!

This requires no jars, no envelopes, and no packages. All you need is a couple simple, basic ingredients and it actually benefits from being cooked low and slow. You can add or remove ingredients per their availability. Say, use celery and carrots instead, and pick whatever meat's on sale.

edit: holy gently caress I use too many parentheses

Semisponge fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 21, 2012