Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

UberVexer posted:

Despite the open nature of MakerBot, isn't there still some kind of legal binding against outright stealing and profiting from their ideas?

GPL v2. Red Hat makes money selling Linux, this isn't really different from a licensing standpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

hobbesmaster posted:

GPL v2. Red Hat makes money selling Linux, this isn't really different from a licensing standpoint.

But they have flavored it differently, no? There has been support for hardware added to the distributions that other free OS do not support. This guy is literally making MakerBots and selling them.

I will probably buy an Acrylic one depending on where it goes, I am a sucker for acrylic objects with LED lighting, but I feel like there is something off about this whole business setup. I do believe that he will produce a product that is as good as the MakerBot, being that he is copying everything about them, I do believe he will be able to do what he is setting out to do, but the thing about buying a MakerBot is that you are buying the name. The act of "MakerBotting" something is the same act as "3D Printing" something, you're just telling the world that you have a MakerBot.

As I said before, I'd love to see some hard competition against MakerBot. I want to see prices on these machines go down to enable more people to get their hands on them.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
I believe all the design files for the Replicator are licensed CC-BY-SA, so as long as he says, "I stole this from Makerbot, and here are my modified files," he's good.

Probably legal, but definitely contrary to the spirit of the open source hardware movement.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zuph posted:

I believe all the design files for the Replicator are licensed CC-BY-SA, so as long as he says, "I stole this from Makerbot, and here are my modified files," he's good.

Probably legal, but definitely contrary to the spirit of the open source hardware movement.

Also, I was wrong on the GPL v2 stuff, now that I see my thing-o-matic the boards have little GPL v3 logos on them.

I think in this case its exactly the same.

(I also note that I didn't get a CD of the source/plans with it which RMS would have issues with; but thats stupid)

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Also, I was wrong on the GPL v2 stuff, now that I see my thing-o-matic the boards have little GPL v3 logos on them.

I think in this case its exactly the same.

(I also note that I didn't get a CD of the source/plans with it which RMS would have issues with; but thats stupid)

Yeah, these licensure issues with Open Source Hardware are one of the main reasons the Open Source Hardware Association was started (http://www.oshwa.org/). Unfortunately, they're currently in their own little spat with the Open Soure Initiative (http://opensource.org/) over their logo.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zuph posted:

I could see that happening. Really, do you need laser-cut paneling when you could setup a die press or injection mold and do the same thing cheaper in the long run?

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

Young Freud posted:

I could see that happening. Really, do you need laser-cut paneling when you could setup a die press or injection mold and do the same thing cheaper in the long run?

Yeah, those are cheaper in the long run, but cheap 3D printers aren't exactly "long run, large quantity" items yet. Better strategy to buy some decent laser cutters so you can easily start cranking out new designs/iterations without requiring a new mold.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I would be extremely wary of giving that guy a ton of money before he actually has a product. Inexperienced people dealing with manufacturing in China basically guarantees disaster. Since it's kickstarter you won't get a penny back if he can't deliver.

RussianBear
Sep 14, 2003

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds

fartingfool posted:

I was more sold on the Cricut cutter products he used to make; those things look badass.

The Cricut is an overpriced, locked down knife cutter. You can't cut your own designs; you have to buy their cartridges. And don't even think about using third party software. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricut#Third_party_software

I have a CraftROBO and I love it. I can design anything I want in Inkscape and use the included software to cut it.

It seems like he really doesn't understand the spirit of the open hardware movement.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

oxbrain posted:

I would be extremely wary of giving that guy a ton of money before he actually has a product. Inexperienced people dealing with manufacturing in China basically guarantees disaster. Since it's kickstarter you won't get a penny back if he can't deliver.

People on kickstarter think they're buying products; see ouya.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

What he's doing is like what happened with the Arduino, another Open Hardware platform. Besides if he really can reduce the price by half won't other manufacturers just copy his technique? I think it is what the Open Hardware movement is all about, just not what kickstarter is for. If this guy can reduce the price of makerbots via traditional manufacturing channels then yeah he should make a ton of money. But I don't feel like it is a "project" worth donations.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
The real sleazeball part of the pitch, as I see it, is that he's using the credibility of the Makerbot name to sell his product. His entire pitch hinges on the claim that "My bot is basically a Makerbot, so that means it's going to be a great printer." It permeates the entire tone of the kickstarter. He is intimately linking his product to the Makerbot, even if it has a different name, and that's not cool.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Wanderless posted:

I'm hopefully getting close to a 3D printer build myself, and I'm trying to figure out a few more details before I order the last few parts.

I'll be using a ShapeOko CNC mill with an extended Z axis as my initial physical framework. (I realize that switching from router to printer is going to be a royal pain, but it lets me get started sooner and at lower cost until I get two dedicated machines). That takes care of the steppers, linear motion, and basic wiring.

I've got one of these http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qu-bd/open-source-universal-3d-printer-extruder-dual-ext coming sometime this month in the dual extruder configuration.

I saw that, and it looks way more robust than the extruders that come with most inexpensive printers. Would there be any difficulty with mounting it (just the single extruder, though) to a MendelMax? That combination seems like a sexcellent choice for a nice reliable printer.

This also looks like a cool thing to have:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:18597

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Thought I'd share something I'm working on... I really like the Sappho's Head sculpture scanned by Artec, so I've printed another copy at 1.5X times normal to try a few finishing techniques.

I'll be making a video, but so far I've done some sanding, fixed overhang troublespots with modelling epoxy, and so far have applied two coats of bronze acrylic paint.

Coat 1:

Coat 2:

I'm guessing that a third coat should do it - but I'm wondering if maybe there's some kind of finishing laquer that should go on after that? I've painted a few details on stuff before, but never an entire model.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

techknight posted:

Thought I'd share something I'm working on... I really like the Sappho's Head sculpture scanned by Artec, so I've printed another copy at 1.5X times normal to try a few finishing techniques.

I'll be making a video, but so far I've done some sanding, fixed overhang troublespots with modelling epoxy, and so far have applied two coats of bronze acrylic paint.

Coat 1:

Coat 2:

I'm guessing that a third coat should do it - but I'm wondering if maybe there's some kind of finishing laquer that should go on after that? I've painted a few details on stuff before, but never an entire model.

Did you use primer first? Even a spraypaint primer should help the paint cover more evenly, and help it adhere to the plastic. As for lacquer you can get a spray varathane coating that's usually used for woods but would help protect the paint.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Did you use primer first? Even a spraypaint primer should help the paint cover more evenly, and help it adhere to the plastic. As for lacquer you can get a spray varathane coating that's usually used for woods but would help protect the paint.

Nope! I have no idea what I'm doing, basically. :) I'll look into the varathane, and some primer for the next time.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

techknight posted:

Nope! I have no idea what I'm doing, basically. :) I'll look into the varathane, and some primer for the next time.

Yea primer is pretty key for painting on plastic. Look into tutorials or w.e on painting plastic miniatures (e.g. warhammer) and that should be about the same for painting on the printers plastics :)

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?
Ok; it is done makergear M2 ordered, in some time I will be opening my unconstructed set, doing assembly and then printing stuff. I just could not justify $200 for construction/testing, perhaps I will regret that once I'm looking at the ikea furniture from hell all over my workbench, but based on there videos construction takes about an hour for two people.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I'm just sitting here with several 3D printer sites and my bank balance open in different tabs. I'm probably going to buy something this year. Maybe I should wait just a little longer...

Finally a use for this emoticon: :comeback:

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?

Locus posted:

I'm just sitting here with several 3D printer sites and my bank balance open in different tabs. I'm probably going to buy something this year. Maybe I should wait just a little longer...

Finally a use for this emoticon: :comeback:

Which ones are you debating?

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Linux Assassin posted:

Which ones are you debating?

Part of me wants a Replicator, but the other part says "No, spend $500-$800 instead, and upgrade later on." I don't know where the second option would leave me, but I guess I'll do more research.

It's exciting to see people like you buying stuff though, so I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on the thread in the future. I'm especially interested in seeing any casting you do. Foundry stuff was awesome back when I tried it out in school.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Locus posted:

I don't like exploiting third world countries or encouraging companies that do... but it's hard to argue with the price, if he can pull it off.

Read this sentence and think about what was just said there.

EDIT:vvvv We all buy stuff made by people who are abused. Don't get sanctimonious about it, is what I'm saying.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 12, 2012

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Midjack posted:

Read this sentence and think about what was just said there.
Yes, and most people here have smartphones in their pockets, or have shopped at Wal-Mart. Moral compromise is a fact of life for almost everyone living in the first world.

Anyway, as I said, my feelings about the guy are a lot less mild after thinking more about what he's trying to do. Hopefully people's feelings within/about the general "maker" community will dry up the Kickstarter and inform anyone ignorant about the companies and innovation involved.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Locus posted:

Part of me wants a Replicator, but the other part says "No, spend $500-$800 instead, and upgrade later on." I don't know where the second option would leave me, but I guess I'll do more research.

It's exciting to see people like you buying stuff though, so I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on the thread in the future. I'm especially interested in seeing any casting you do. Foundry stuff was awesome back when I tried it out in school.

You'll learn more if you take the time to build it yourself. Building a RepRap of any kind is rewarding because it's yours, you made it for you. On the other hand the MakerBot will have you printing very detailed prints in, 40 minutes if you're new to the idea of 3D Printing. It's a cost vs. time trade off and that's a personal choice. A MakerBot is a glorified RepRap. "Dualstrusion" or the act of printing with two extruders, is interesting and really fun to mess with if you do get a Replicator. The replicator is capable of higher resolutions than my Prusa Mendel is, and that is closely related to the nozzle and extruder types that I chose. If you go the RepRap route, do some research first and consider which features are important to you.

Edit: You can also buy a pre built RepRap, and that's fun and all but at that point I would buy a MakerBot if you could stretch your wallet that far.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains
No matter what printer you buy you can always print a RepRap and then build another one for, relatively cheap, if you're feeling crafty.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains
I just bought a second Replicator (A real one) and when it arrived, after calibration and first use it stopped extruding from the right extruder. I removed the nozzle and tried to clean it but the plastic looks thick and burned. I can't figure out how to clean the nozzle. Ideas on this?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

My Solidoodle 2 finally arrived. I'll post some pictures and such after I've gotten her up and running/printing.

They aknowledged that the shipping thus far wasn't the best and that their website worded things a little deceptively. To make up for it they've included tool kits when they were available, replacement kapton tape, and a short spool of plastic. Unfortunately one thing they didn't put in my kit was the power cord which I promptly emailed support about. Until then I'll be using my laptop's cord.

Oh and I ordered the Pro package, which basically is an enclosure and clear door. At first they were shipping them separately but mine came with it. Getting their act together I guess.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

UberVexer posted:

I just bought a second Replicator (A real one) and when it arrived, after calibration and first use it stopped extruding from the right extruder. I removed the nozzle and tried to clean it but the plastic looks thick and burned. I can't figure out how to clean the nozzle. Ideas on this?

If PLA dump in a 12oz glass of rubbing alcohol. If ABS, dump in a 12oz glass of acetone and cover with aluminum foil and a rubber band.

Come back in four hours. Nozzles cleaner than whistles.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

If PLA dump in a 12oz glass of rubbing alcohol. If ABS, dump in a 12oz glass of acetone and cover with aluminum foil and a rubber band.

Come back in four hours. Nozzles cleaner than whistles.

Will try this, thanks if it works, if not I will report back as such

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I finished painting that Sappho's Head print I posted about earlier:

I wrote about the process for Ponoko, and shot some video of the whole thing: http://blog.ponoko.com/2012/08/16/painting-one-of-my-3d-prints-with-video/

I'll definitely give some primer a try next time, and probably epoxy the whole drat thing.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

UberVexer posted:

You paid two grand for a commercial printer, with support. Go get manufacturer support :)

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

insta posted:

You paid two grand for a commercial printer, with support. Go get manufacturer support :)

Their solution is to buy another nozzle.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

UberVexer posted:

A 0-day warranty is ridiculous for as much money as you pay.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

UberVexer posted:

Are you actually serious here?

Because if so, gently caress those guys. They were the top of my short list, too. :(

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Are you actually serious here?

Because if so, gently caress those guys. They were the top of my short list, too. :(

Mine too. :(

I just emailed them with a link to this thread and quotes, saying that if their customer service/warranty coverage really is so poor, then I'll be rethinking my plan to purchase one of their Replicators.

I mean, hell, if they're making you re-buy a part that doesn't work from day 1, then there's clearly no guarantee from them that the replacement nozzle will work, either... if that one doesn't work, what, will they just tell you to buy a third? "Yeah, just keep throwing money at us until you get something that works. What was that about expecting a functioning product when you bought it? lol"

Edit: Got a prompt response from them.

quote:

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting MakerBot Support!

I looked through the thread, and there are both true and false bits about it. Yes, the answer might be a new nozzle (I'd have to more specifically troubleshoot the problem to figure that out), but we would never make a customer spend more money when the problem stems from a defective part.

We stand by our products, and offer a level of support which is appropriate to that claim. If a part becomes damaged because it was defective, or in transit, or under basically any circumstances which are not at the fault of the user or basic wear-and-tear, we will do our best to take care of that and get you printing as quickly as possible.

If "UberVexer" would like to open a ticket, they can do so by emailing support@makerbot.com, just as you have. I'd be more than happy to troubleshoot the issue and get it all worked out.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Cheers,

MakerBot Support

So, I guess that they're either saying that it's UV's fault that it needed to be replaced on the first day, or accusing UV of not actually contacting support?

But it also sounds like they're saying it's worth emailing their support again, before buying a new nozzle.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 24, 2012

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains
I actually called up rather than using their email support. I explained what happened, then emailed them a video of the extruder being dumb. They brought me through general tech support bullshit, "Have you tried tightening the screws" and after some time they agreed to "fix it" if I mailed it back.

I went to their place in Brooklyn and they gave me a new one. I wasn't about to wait for FedEx to ship a package 20 miles... twice and I figured if I could just show them and let them try to fix it in their shop then they couldn't tell me I was loving with them.

If you get a Replicator, or four and you have problems, call the support number they give you because they are less than helpful if you just send them an email. I emailed Bre Pettis about the issue as well, he actually apologized and made it seem like he cared about the fact that I was upset.

I'll give them a B as a grade for support; I've seen worse.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

UberVexer posted:

I actually called up rather than using their email support. I explained what happened, then emailed them a video of the extruder being dumb. They brought me through general tech support bullshit, "Have you tried tightening the screws" and after some time they agreed to "fix it" if I mailed it back.

I went to their place in Brooklyn and they gave me a new one. I wasn't about to wait for FedEx to ship a package 20 miles... twice and I figured if I could just show them and let them try to fix it in their shop then they couldn't tell me I was loving with them.

If you get a Replicator, or four and you have problems, call the support number they give you because they are less than helpful if you just send them an email. I emailed Bre Pettis about the issue as well, he actually apologized and made it seem like he cared about the fact that I was upset.

I'll give them a B as a grade for support; I've seen worse.

So what ended being the issue with the extruder?

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

peepsalot posted:

So what ended being the issue with the extruder?

I'm not entirely sure, I got a new printer.

I would guess it was the nozzle, it seems to be a common issue that occurs when the extruder hits the build platform it closes itself or bends itself. People complain about it on their Google group a lot and someone had a fix about like, heating it up and jamming a needle into it. It seems too common to not have an actual fix instead of "buy a new nozzle."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

UberVexer posted:

I'm not entirely sure, I got a new printer.

I would guess it was the nozzle, it seems to be a common issue that occurs when the extruder hits the build platform it closes itself or bends itself. People complain about it on their Google group a lot and someone had a fix about like, heating it up and jamming a needle into it. It seems too common to not have an actual fix instead of "buy a new nozzle."

If its due to collisions then there may not be an actual fix other than replacing the nozzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I've been budgeting for some kind of MakerBot, but this (reliability/warranty as well as parts availability and support) is one of my concerns.

What "generation" are these devices currently at? Second or third?