Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

gently caress da troops.

You think somebody would vandalize my car if I had this bumper sticker?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Highspeeddub posted:

I had to stop and do a double take with this pic.

Chinese militia 1945. Two guns in this photo. One looks like a Thompson clone, but the rifle in the foreground made me really stare.

It looks like a tanegashima-style matchlock, the predominant style of musket in Japan from the 1500s up until the late 19th century. Lord knows where that guy got it. Literal museum piece maybe? China in 1945 was a mess of scavenged equipment but that thing was 200 years obsolete for any fight where your enemy isn't carrying a spear.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Holy poo poo, and the taglines being a line out of the Ballad of Joe Hill. is a nice touch.
I need to watch this.

kontent:
Textile mill strikers face bayonets.

Ray Lewis, retired police captain, being arrested during a OWS rally

2 year old Akim Shale being reunited with his family, who fled ethnic cleansing in Kosovo, through the refugee camps barbed wire fence.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Pitch posted:

It looks like a tanegashima-style matchlock, the predominant style of musket in Japan from the 1500s up until the late 19th century. Lord knows where that guy got it. Literal museum piece maybe? China in 1945 was a mess of scavenged equipment but that thing was 200 years obsolete for any fight where your enemy isn't carrying a spear.

It's antique in design, in any case, if not necessarily construction.

You got me thinking and I found a picture I took of some Japanese ones from a museum in Sekigahara.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ras Het posted:

Here's my favourite US Army unit:

Pretty cool dude! Here's a pic of my favorite protest!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Highspeeddub posted:

I had to stop and do a double take with this pic.

Chinese militia 1945. Two guns in this photo. One looks like a Thompson clone, but the rifle in the foreground made me really stare.

Could be his pep-pep's old gun. :corsair:

Hell Diver posted:

Pretty cool dude! Here's a pic of my favorite protest!

The life of an innocent citizen peacefully protesting > paid killer

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Dead soldiers and dead protest are loving horrible. However having petty and childish arguments about them is even loving worse.

Ah Cartagena, Colombia what a great if slightly shady city you are!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Exclamation Marx posted:

I never realised I was a C-C-Communist :ohdear:

Thanks for sharing, ekuNNN.
Cosmonauts!

Taikonauts!

Shenzhou 5 space capsule, the first manned Chinese space mission:

Launch of Shenzhou 6:

Shenzhou 7, China's first EVA:

:china:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Forums Terrorist posted:

Another victim of the anarcho-communist clique that secretly controls d&d (Clumsy banned him because he sperged out in CD about how the pictures thread was full of communists.)

Oh no, he got banned before I finished my Get out frog propaganda poster to post in response to one of his posts :negative: (edit: He's back, time to continue my work :woop:) (double edit: Hahaha, holy poo poo, that thread. Sorry, guys, my unironical posting of communist propaganda posters means you're all anarcho-communists too :ussr:)

Although he didn't really post that often in this thread any more, since it's become probatable to shitpost without a picture.

Anyway, pour some for one's homies:

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 12, 2012

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Forums Terrorist posted:

Another victim of the anarcho-communist clique that secretly controls d&d (Clumsy banned him because he sperged out in CD about how the pictures thread was full of communists.)

Thanks for proving my point.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
super_villain_blazer.jpg

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

Thanks for proving my point.

I felt bad for you not because you got banned for complaining about communism but because you couldn't say to people who post in D&D directly.

agadhahab
Feb 4, 2009
Comrades, courtesy of the TFR stupid poo poo thread...

Armyman25:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Modern uniforms just aren't cool.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

A Canterbury trooper, 3rd New Zealand Mounted Rifles (Rough Riders), preparing to depart for the Boer War (1899-1902)

quote:

The 3rd Contingent consisted of two companies, one of them, No. 5, recruited almost entirely from Canterbury. Equipment was largely organised and paid for by a committee of prominent Christchurch citizens and other members of the public. The company was called the Rough Riders as the men were good horsemen and marksmen but not trained soldiers. They left Lyttelton for South Africa on 17 Feb. 1900 after having spent some time at a camp in Addington. On their return to New Zealand in May 1901 they were disbanded.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Trench_Rat posted:

super_villain_blazer.jpg

The man on the right can't be a villain - he clearly displays symbols of religiosity!

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

agadhahab posted:

Comrades, courtesy of the TFR stupid poo poo thread...

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

This is a thread for cool pictures. Don't be a dick and provoke people.

Syrian rebel in Aleppo firing at a sniper.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Pictures of China's former Olympic athletes, many now living in poverty.

http://tealeafnation.com/2012/08/the-miserable-fates-of-chinas-former-top-athletes/

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/08/sports/olympics/chinas-quest-for-olympic-gold-takes-toll-on-athletes.html?_r=1&hp

quote:

But in recent days, a tide of self-doubt and introspection about the human costs of China’s Olympic prowess has arisen amid worries that the nation’s draconian sports system is sometimes producing damaged goods. Floundering athletes can even be cast aside after their careers are over — a point driven home last year when a former gold medal gymnast was found begging on the streets of Beijing. According to the state media, 240,000 retired athletes are grappling with injuries, poverty and unemployment.

Sometimes the victors inadvertently reveal the sacrifices they were forced to endure during their years of training. Last week, shortly after winning her third Olympic gold medal, the Chinese diver Wu Minxia was told that her grandparents had died years earlier and that her mother had been diagnosed with cancer. Ms. Wu’s father explained that the family preferred to lie to his daughter all those years rather than risk harming her Olympic prospects.

“We accepted a long time ago that she doesn’t belong to us,” the father, Wu Yuming, told a Shanghai newspaper. “I don’t even dare think about things like enjoying family happiness.”

Like many Chinese athletes, Ms. Wu had been plucked from her family as an adolescent and sent to live at a state-financed sports academy, where training is grueling. Many athletes do not see their families for years. Last week, after Lin Qingfeng claimed a gold medal in men’s weight lifting, his father told reporters that he did not recognize his 23-year-old son, whom he had not seen for six and a half years, until he heard his name mentioned on television. “It’s been a long time,” Mr. Lin’s mother said, “since he’s had a meal at home.”
Dong-Jhy Hwang, a historian at the Graduate Institute of Physical Education at National Taiwan Sport University, noted that for many years China’s competitive fires were constrained by Mao, who proclaimed that during international sports events, friendship mattered more than competition.

The shift was perhaps best personified by the outburst last week of Wu Jingbiao, who sobbed uncontrollably to a Chinese camera crew and apologized for “shaming the motherland” after winning a silver medal in a men’s weight lifting event. A female weight lifter, 17-year-old Zhou Jun, was branded a “national disgrace” by a provincial newspaper after she finished in last place. (The newspaper later apologized after a firestorm of indignation raged across the Internet.)

This is hardly just a problem in China, but there are some particularly bad examples here.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I don't know. I find it pointless (and somewhat orientalist) to make some distinction about China being terrible with competitions like the above. It's not as though there aren't a significant portion of Olympic athletes in general who live in poverty after their wins.

And once you bring up children's beauty pageants and stuff like that, the line really gets blurry in terms of the West being more or less lovely than the East

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Yeah, I brought up US athletes in the other Olympics thread. I just found those particular pictures to be shocking.

A Syrian activist on her facebook page said "Oh god we want to change (as in replace) you," prompting a huge and kind of vicious outcry from a lot of other Syrians.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^^^^Was she talking about changing Syrian government and people thought it was about God?

Armyman25 posted:

Thanks for proving my point.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I missed you comrade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PYBdRTvtvw

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Pitch posted:

It looks like a tanegashima-style matchlock, the predominant style of musket in Japan from the 1500s up until the late 19th century. Lord knows where that guy got it. Literal museum piece maybe? China in 1945 was a mess of scavenged equipment but that thing was 200 years obsolete for any fight where your enemy isn't carrying a spear.

ReidRansom posted:

It's antique in design, in any case, if not necessarily construction.

You got me thinking and I found a picture I took of some Japanese ones from a museum in Sekigahara.

I could see the flintlock and thought what on Earth, it's the 20th century. Thanks for identifying what it could possibly be, or what he cobbled it together from. I look at what he was shooting and what his comrades were shooting and shake my head.

Bandanna
Nov 3, 2005

Bulletproof

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I've been thinking about the draft lately, I mean, the draft sucks but at least with the draft there was a good chance the rich would be sent to war as well. Or did they have ways to get out?

They just had to go and take the tri-force too.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 12, 2012

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Orange_Lazarus posted:

I've been thinking about the draft lately, I mean, the draft sucks but at least with the draft there was a good chance the rich would be sent to war as well. Or did they have ways to get out?

They just had to go and take the tri-force too.

The rich have always found ways to get out of the draft. Sure, they have to sign up for selective service, but that doesn't mean they will ever get drafted.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Hey man, the dude that's being a passive aggressive dick isn't even pictured, way to dehumanize all men, you feminazi. :reddit:
(Personally I find a lot of the problems with MRA types is that they don't realize the comparatively small problems they have are also caused by the patriarchy, but it sure is loving hard getting them to understand that. Drives a man to drink.)

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Xandu posted:

Pictures of China's former Olympic athletes, many now living in poverty.

http://tealeafnation.com/2012/08/the-miserable-fates-of-chinas-former-top-athletes/

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/08/sports/olympics/chinas-quest-for-olympic-gold-takes-toll-on-athletes.html?_r=1&hp

This is hardly just a problem in China, but there are some particularly bad examples here.

For international prestige! :china: :911: :belarus: :australia: :japan: :britain: :canada: :geert: :poland: :sweden: :norway: :france: :tito: :ussr: :denmark: :spain: :eurovision: :italy:

I miss the days when the Olympics were just a bunch of rich dunces running around in shorts pretending to have athletic talent.

Observe how the Olympics should be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzrI15uw92k

Orange_Lazarus posted:

I've been thinking about the draft lately, I mean, the draft sucks but at least with the draft there was a good chance the rich would be sent to war as well. Or did they have ways to get out?

There's a little thing called college deferment, which particularly favored those with the finances to attend college (IE rich). You could also join the National Guard, who back during the Vietnam War did not get sent overseas. Because of the draft the National Guard's enlistment rate was higher than usual and many were turned away, that is unless the applicant's parents happened to have political or financial connections WINK WINK SEE WHAT I'M SAYING?

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 12, 2012

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Olympics you say?

And for the good of D&D, notorious hotbed of communism, 328MB of posters from (mostly) the USSR https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62031/stalin_loves_me.zip

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
"How'd you get your picture taken like that? All lookin' like a dollar-store M. Bison."
                                                 /

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Orange_Lazarus posted:

I've been thinking about the draft lately, I mean, the draft sucks but at least with the draft there was a good chance the rich would be sent to war as well. Or did they have ways to get out?

They just had to go and take the tri-force too.

In post-WW2 Sweden, all males (barring the physically handicapped) were drafted for one to two years of training, no exceptions, well into the 1980's. If you were a pacifist, you could apply for community service instead, but even if your application was granted (far from certain) that still meant you got to spend 12-18 months as a firefighter or climbing up high voltage power line towers to do maintenance. Trying to dodge the draft usually led to fines (and having to do it anyway) or if you insisted, prison time.

I do think this had a positive influence on society as a whole, regardless of its failings. Having to spend a year or two with a bunch of completely unknown people from every possible corner of society while sleeping together in conditions like these:

has got to do something for the way you view other people, at least.

Also, I think drafting might be good for the military, too. I mean, most of the people who are drafted (everyone from academics to electricians) would never consider joining the army under ordinary circumstances, so the talent pool for a drafted army is gigantic. The kind of people who actively want to be soldiers are usually people you probably wouldn't want to be soldiers anyway.

Finland still drafts about 80% of the males in each generation.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 12, 2012

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Closing ceremonies 1980 Moscow Olympics

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Highspeeddub posted:

Closing ceremonies 1980 Moscow Olympics

Vinni Pukh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqdiEUp6s4E

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Posted to facebook by a relative on welfare:

:ironicat:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
On the subject of the Olympics, today is probably the first day in a long time the Daily Mail have anything nice to say about a black person or an immigrant.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I was at the supermarket today, and saw the following bottles up on a shelf:

Picked up a bottle of the Riesling, not quite $5 and not a bad wine. I'm just stumped that there is an honest-to-goodness Lucky Duck line of budget wine.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

TheFluff posted:

Swedish draft stuff

The conscripts were taught many useful things they might otherwise never learn.

Sweden now has an entirely professional army incapable of defending the nation but rather geared toward keeping the weapons manufacturers healthy, as well as a few hundred people deployed in Afghanistan.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 12, 2012

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

railway gauge

Trench_Rat fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 12, 2012

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Broken Machine posted:

I was at the supermarket today, and saw the following bottles up on a shelf:

Picked up a bottle of the Riesling, not quite $5 and not a bad wine. I'm just stumped that there is an honest-to-goodness Lucky Duck line of budget wine.
"You can afford to spend five dollars on wine, when MY TAXES pay for your gruel!? Lucky Duuuuuuuuck!" :doom:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

An ad by SmáÍs(Icelandic equalivant of the MPAA) encouraging people not to download films/tv show or bypass the restrictions on Netflix. Because if they do they're funding scary Eastern-European mobsters!

Crasscrab posted:

I miss the days when the Olympics were just a bunch of rich dunces running around in shorts pretending to have athletic talent.

The Olympics need to bring back hoplitodromos, or hopilite-run, an event which revolved around men running a race while wearing armor and a helmet as well the rather heavy bronze-clad wooden shield. Preferably the guys running should be out of shape aristocrats. Also everyone else should be nude and they need to bring back Olympic poetry competitions. The poets should also be nude.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 12, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, the problem of conscription for the military is the whole molding people into effectively carrying out state-sanctioned murder part. It brings people together into the worst kind of culture.

Conscription for some sort of civil service is a cool idea, however. Like working taking care of elderly people, manning a soup kitchen for the homeless or helping out during natural disasters.

Orthodox jews rioting over other jews working on saturdays, I think.

  • Locked thread