Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

A game that came packaged with our Compaq OS (the OS, IIRC, had tabbed browsing) around 1996 or 1997, probably a point-and-click educational adventure that had a section in the jungle, or was set in the jungle entirely. I seem to remember a toucan. It wasn't Hugo III.

Is it EcoQuest 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Brady posted:

Looking for a game that I bought at Ross on their clarence shelves when I was in middle school. The game came with a book ("novel"). It was an RPG with tons and tons of bugs, and the book itself was pretty lovely too. It did have some sort of charm and I've found myself feeling nostalgic over it the last few days.
This is an interesting detail, because to my knowledge the number of RPGs that have come with novels in the packaging is very small. Obviously there are going to be some I do not know about, but Stonekeep, Beyond Divinity, and Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday are the only ones that come to mind, and only two of those fit the time frame (and clearly are not the game you are describing). Here is where people pop up and tell me there have been 150 RPGs released with novels.

You did not say it was fantasy, though I am assuming because it had guilds that it was? Though thinking it was called "Shattered Earth" could suggest it was post-apocalyptic (which would make it surely the only post-apocalyptic RPG with an included novel?). If it was post-apocalyptic, the only games in that genre whose novel-having status are a mystery to me are Burntime and Scavengers of the Mutant World. Edit: Wait, hold on, there is also Visions of the Aftermath: Boomtown (http://www.hotud.org/component/content/article/46-simulation/20922) but, like, how far am I going to reach on this one, exactly?

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 10, 2012

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009

Brady posted:

Looking for a game that I bought at Ross on their clarence shelves when I was in middle school. The game came with a book ("novel"). It was an RPG with tons and tons of bugs, and the book itself was pretty lovely too. It did have some sort of charm and I've found myself feeling nostalgic over it the last few days.

The book and game had all your typical RPG elements, but I member the game also having some sort of guild system even though it was single player (don't remember if there was a multilayer option, if there was it would have probably been LAN based or something).

Does anyone remember this? I keep thinking it was called "Shattered Earth" but all Google searches for that don't come up with anything close to what I'm talking about so I might be way off the mark.

I remember an isometric or top down rpg that came on one of those discs bundled with games called Shattered Legend that had a multiplayer component iirc, but I cant find anything about it on google, I dont know if it came with a novel though.

What was the games perspective, and setting?

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Thanks everyone.

Kamer Kamer Cola posted:

I remember an isometric or top down rpg that came on one of those discs bundled with games called Shattered Legend

This post helped me remember the name! It's called Shattered Light. Apparently it wasn't very popular...

http://www.gamespot.com/shattered-light/
http://www.ensigngames.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=158

And the book-

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Light-Shattered-2/dp/0671032674

I remember being pretty captivated by it for about a week or so before I gave up due to the bugs (might have just been my PC). The book was just about the most boring anticlimactic thing ever, even for a 12 year old. I thought it was so bad that I wrote a critique on it for one of my 6th grade English projects.

But anyway, nostalgia. :unsmith:

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Quarex posted:

This is an interesting detail, because to my knowledge the number of RPGs that have come with novels in the packaging is very small. Obviously there are going to be some I do not know about, but Stonekeep

I still have that book that came with Stonekeep - Thera's Awakening, as I recall. I remember it not being very good but I still read it twice because ~videogame literature~ sort of like how I read the Doom novel probably 15 times.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Oh man, the Doom novels. The first one was okayish, but the next three were horrible horrible poo poo.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
Yep. And I read them all, multiple times. In my defense I was 12 and Doom was the coolest thing in my universe.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Golbez posted:

Oh man, the Doom novels. The first one was okayish, but the next three were horrible horrible poo poo.

I've never understood why those novels went in the direction they did. The coolest and most iconic thing about Doom is that you're fighting actual literal demons, in space. So of course book two reveals that the demons are really aliens and moves the action to Earth. What the gently caress?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Tiggum posted:

I've never understood why those novels went in the direction they did. The coolest and most iconic thing about Doom is that you're fighting actual literal demons, in space. So of course book two reveals that the demons are really aliens and moves the action to Earth. What the gently caress?

Earth. Heh. If it had stayed on Earth that might have been better. But the bulk of the next two novels is spent far, far away from Earth and Mars.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Golbez posted:

Earth. Heh. If it had stayed on Earth that might have been better. But the bulk of the next two novels is spent far, far away from Earth and Mars.

Fighting the Noobies, no less.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tiggum posted:

Doom II takes place on Earth :)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Doom II takes place on Earth :)

But does Doom 3 take place in a 2 mile long spaceship where you fight aliens named "Freds"? :gonk:

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Golbez posted:

But does Doom 3 take place in a 2 mile long spaceship where you fight aliens named "Freds"? :gonk:

The Freds were the manila gorilla alien twins that helped Fly and Arleen, god :rolleyes:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Cidrick posted:

The Freds were the manila gorilla alien twins that helped Fly and Arleen, god :rolleyes:

Nah uh! The Freds were the bad guys, the actual Doom monsters were all varieties of Freds. Sears and Roebuck were members of the Klave.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/The_Freds

How do I remember these things :suicide:

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Golbez posted:

Nah uh! The Freds were the bad guys, the actual Doom monsters were all varieties of Freds. Sears and Roebuck were members of the Klave.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/The_Freds

How do I remember these things :suicide:

ffffff

I'm simultaneously upset that I got that wrong and relieved that I got that wrong.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

Fuoco posted:

Is it EcoQuest 2?

Possibly! I'll have to play it to see if it jogs anything. Thanks :)

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Alright, maybe someone here will know what game I am trying to remember.

It's a PC game from the early 2000's. You play as a female. The story involves aliens enslaving the human race and you joining the underground resistance. You start out in a shopping mall that serves as slums for humans. It is played it the third person. From what I remember there was a larger emphasis on exploration and stealth rather than direct confrontation with enemies. The levels were large and open. The second level took place in city streets. The game may or may not have been based on a book. It was maybe an RPG or at least had RPG elements such as multiple dialogue choices.

I remember my mom picked it up at a bookstore and I played it a bit but I was a bit young to really understand just what the heck I was supposed to be doing. Suddenly I want to give it a try and see what it's actually like.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Upmarket Mango posted:

Alright, maybe someone here will know what game I am trying to remember.

It's a PC game from the early 2000's. You play as a female. The story involves aliens enslaving the human race and you joining the underground resistance. You start out in a shopping mall that serves as slums for humans. It is played it the third person. From what I remember there was a larger emphasis on exploration and stealth rather than direct confrontation with enemies. The levels were large and open. The second level took place in city streets. The game may or may not have been based on a book. It was maybe an RPG or at least had RPG elements such as multiple dialogue choices.

I remember my mom picked it up at a bookstore and I played it a bit but I was a bit young to really understand just what the heck I was supposed to be doing. Suddenly I want to give it a try and see what it's actually like.

It's this and it's really terrible: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/anne-mccaffreys-freedom-first-resistance

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

This is a game I played the demo of in say... early 2000/late 90ies.

It's an RTS that takes place entirely under water.

It's 2D, but with several "altitude" levels.

You build up a base, there may have been CRYSTALS involved for resource gathering, and you churn out a shitload of various subs that shoot torpedoes and stuff.

There was at least 2 different factions, but only the standard human ones were playable in the demo.

It was very... teal.

Any takers?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Pimpmust posted:

This is a game I played the demo of in say... early 2000/late 90ies.

It's an RTS that takes place entirely under water.

It's 2D, but with several "altitude" levels.

You build up a base, there may have been CRYSTALS involved for resource gathering, and you churn out a shitload of various subs that shoot torpedoes and stuff.

There was at least 2 different factions, but only the standard human ones were playable in the demo.

It was very... teal.

Any takers?

Submarine Titans?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

That's it!

I was always surprised that I didn't hear anything more about it, because I felt it was pretty innovative at the time (for a Starcraft-kinda RTS).

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Thank you kindly, and I expected it to be a terrible game. Can't wait to experience it for real this time.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Played it 5-10 years ago, first or third person online shooter, fast paced, tiny people in a normal sized world, cartoonish, weapon pickups around the maps, teleporters, maps were things like kitchens and bedrooms, I think one or two were outside.

Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? I remember one of the levels had a picture of Lara Croft with Duke Nukem holding her boobs.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Read posted:

Played it 5-10 years ago, first or third person online shooter, fast paced, tiny people in a normal sized world, cartoonish, weapon pickups around the maps, teleporters, maps were things like kitchens and bedrooms, I think one or two were outside.

Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? I remember one of the levels had a picture of Lara Croft with Duke Nukem holding her boobs.

Honestly what that reminds me most of is the dm_rats series of deathmatch levels for Half-Life. Each level was a single room - a kitchen, or a bathroom, or the like - but scaled as though the players were rat-sized.

I loved those maps.

I don't know of any games built entirely around that premise, though, so if it's not dm_rats you're thinking of, I've got nothing.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Weren't a lot of those Padman maps set in giant kitchens and stuff? Could it be World of Padman?

EchoBase
Dec 11, 2001
I've been trying to remember a game from around '90-'93, it was in the style of the old Gold Box D&D games in that it was a first person viewpoint and you moved on a grid. All the combat took place in that view as I recall, it didn't switch to a map or anything.

The theme was cold-war Berlin, you moved between the East and West Berlin and the whole city was mapped out. You were a spy searching for some components of some sort of weapon (maybe?). The components were hidden around the city and were marked with maybe a radioactive marker. I remember that you had a sensor that beeped when you were close to the part. I think one of the components was hidden in an exhibit in a museum.

I never finished the game primarily because it had a time limit (maybe a nuke went off or something?) and the time limit was really short. Exploring, for example, a sewer maze could take of up all of your time. It was an excercise in constant restarts. I have a feeling that you needed to map out your actions and then win the game with one 'speed run' style perfect play because it just wasn't possible to explore everything in one run.

Any ideas?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

EchoBase posted:

I've been trying to remember a game from around '90-'93, it was in the style of the old Gold Box D&D games in that it was a first person viewpoint and you moved on a grid. All the combat took place in that view as I recall, it didn't switch to a map or anything.

The theme was cold-war Berlin, you moved between the East and West Berlin and the whole city was mapped out. You were a spy searching for some components of some sort of weapon (maybe?). The components were hidden around the city and were marked with maybe a radioactive marker. I remember that you had a sensor that beeped when you were close to the part. I think one of the components was hidden in an exhibit in a museum.

I never finished the game primarily because it had a time limit (maybe a nuke went off or something?) and the time limit was really short. Exploring, for example, a sewer maze could take of up all of your time. It was an excercise in constant restarts. I have a feeling that you needed to map out your actions and then win the game with one 'speed run' style perfect play because it just wasn't possible to explore everything in one run.

Any ideas?
Think I found it. The Third Courier?

mothshark
Dec 29, 2008
A friend of mine has been trying to find a game they played on PC in early 2000 - according to them it was similar to but definitely not Metroid. You play as a blonde girl in a brown suit with big round shoulders like Samus, and she possibly has short hair and/or an eyepatch. One of the early levels involved circling through a silver tunnel/maze until all of the robot enemies were defeated. It might've been the second game in the series. Any ideas are appreciated!

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic
I am losing my mind here. I am thinking about a game from the mid 90s, PC game. The intro showed a fusion reactor experiment go wrong and create a huge explosion that tore through the entire solar system, you get to see the explosion in space. there is a narrator as well, then I think it transfers into some dystopian future, maybe a racing game? the intro is CGI and it was really well made for its time. Also pretty long

arghhh please help

found it: It was Forsaken!

xThrasheRx fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 13, 2012

Read
Dec 21, 2010

dads_work_files posted:

Weren't a lot of those Padman maps set in giant kitchens and stuff? Could it be World of Padman?

This is exactly what it was, thank you (:.

Tekla
Aug 9, 2012
It's a 90s point and click adventure game. You play a woman, who is trying to solve a murder, possibly named Laura.

I remember a scene. I think you are at a party, you enter a room with a lot of masks hanging on the walls. One of the masks is a real human head.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Tekla posted:

It's a 90s point and click adventure game. You play a woman, who is trying to solve a murder, possibly named Laura.

I remember a scene. I think you are at a party, you enter a room with a lot of masks hanging on the walls. One of the masks is a real human head.
One of the Laura Bow games maybe?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Tekla posted:

Dynamix made a few Laura Bow games. That might be the Dagger of Amon Ra.

e: :arghfist:

Tekla
Aug 9, 2012
Oh that's the game I was looking for! Thanks a lot!

EchoBase
Dec 11, 2001

That's it! Thanks, that's been bugging me for a while.

Tiestofan69
Jan 26, 2011

2 games, one from a friend of mine and one from me. Sorry if any of these were already posted before but the thread is pretty big and I didn't read all of it.

His was a DOS sidescroller kind of platformer about blowing up buildings. The playable character guy has to plant a bomb in various buildings and get out of there before it detonates, then you get to watch the building crumble with physics(?).
There were different types of bombs, including one that was bigger than the character person. That's all I got.

Mine was also for the PC but not DOS I think. It was about a fat slob in a horrible, filthy house, that spent his days watching tv in a couch. In the initial cutscene he gets sucked into the tv or something like that(probably not, but that's what I remember). This weird magic curse thing causes him to turn into a small cockroachman(maybe a fly?, maybe he was just small and I'm misremembering it), doomed to walk through his own filthy house in a 2d platformer.
There was a level I distinctly remember where he was near the kitchen sink and had to use the dishes to get to the other side since he couldn't swim. I remember it being pretty hard but it could have been just me.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Sprats posted:

Mine was also for the PC but not DOS I think. It was about a fat slob in a horrible, filthy house, that spent his days watching tv in a couch. In the initial cutscene he gets sucked into the tv or something like that(probably not, but that's what I remember). This weird magic curse thing causes him to turn into a small cockroachman(maybe a fly?, maybe he was just small and I'm misremembering it), doomed to walk through his own filthy house in a 2d platformer.
There was a level I distinctly remember where he was near the kitchen sink and had to use the dishes to get to the other side since he couldn't swim. I remember it being pretty hard but it could have been just me.

Bad Mojo.

Tiestofan69
Jan 26, 2011

scamtank posted:

Bad Mojo.

No, it wasn't Bad Mojo, the cutscenes were somewhat cartoony 2d stuff, not actors, and it was a sidescroller. Thanks anyway, this is really similar, it might help me find the other one myself.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've read the Drakengard LP and I remembered a game I played a demo of back in the PS2 era. I can't get the name down, you play as a female and you ride on a dragon. I remember it playing a bit like Tomb Raider mixed with an RPG.

That's all I can really remember about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Leal posted:

I've read the Drakengard LP and I remembered a game I played a demo of back in the PS2 era. I can't get the name down, you play as a female and you ride on a dragon. I remember it playing a bit like Tomb Raider mixed with an RPG.

That's all I can really remember about it.

Drakan: Order of the Flame.