Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Bleusilences posted:

I gave money to the double fine adventure game, shadowrun, Wastland 2, FTL and the realistic shooter project. After that the fever want down a bit and I realized how easily I could get scam. Out of these 4 project 2 still fail to provide any tangible update.

edit: Scratch that only one is MIA.
Realistic shooter project? Takedown, or something else?

I do not think you should worry too much about being burned if you are pledging some small amount to get a game that could be fun, but might also just not happen--you are getting most games for less than the final release price by supporting them through Kickstarter, so you are probably still saving money by supporting these projects even if some of them take the money and run!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Really bizarre on the AURO situation, though I shake my head at Burgun's odd tendency to stir things up completely at odds with whatever points in intentions to make----cringer after cringer tends to manifest on the Dinofarm blog that'd just be better off left unsaid as the whole "any publicity is good publicity" thing really doesn't work out for them.

All I can think is that they were aiming to recruit from a region with a low cost of living as opposed to the US or some such...but even then there had to be a much more chill way of going about this.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

mutata posted:

Haha, he gutted the post and reposted it as unpaid.

Wait, has it always said "This is an PAID position" and I'm an idiot or did he change it again?

Ah well. Something something the guy's a moron, something.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

wodin posted:

For those of you who enjoy TCGs or TCG-alikes (Ascension/Dominion), the SolForge Kickstarter is ticking along pretty well (75/250k the first week) and has released a bunch of new information. There's a half-hour informal discussion of the overall mechanics of the game/Q&A from one of the developers, and they've posted a bunch of screenshots of the iPad prototype that show off the Lane mechanic and card templating.

If you're feeling jaded about a lot of the usual vaporware that shows up on Kickstarter, this project seems like a very refreshing antidote to that. Ascension was awesome, and SolForge looks like it's relatively mature as well.

SolForge has an update video (update 3). It looks like a better version of Spectromancer with MTG customization along with better art.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mutata posted:

Wait, has it always said "This is an PAID position" and I'm an idiot or did he change it again?

Ah well. Something something the guy's a moron, something.

No, I looked at the link you posted, and unless it was some sort of crazy confirmation bias thing I saw unpaid, too. Must have been changed again.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

You know that feeling when something profoundly evil is about to take place and you just can't stop it?

This is that feeling.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

evilmiera posted:

You know that feeling when something profoundly evil is about to take place and you just can't stop it?

This is that feeling.

Wow, those reward tiers are a loving joke. Surely they will sink this Kickstarter without a trace. Right?

Right?

:negative:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
"Hey, I made a legendary game 30 years ago*. Here's some uninspired concepts. Give us $900,000."
-David "Pitfall™" Crane

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jungleventure/david-cranes-jungle-adventure-0?ref=discover_rec

*) OK, A Boy and His Blob (1989) was pretty cool.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Latest pair of projects I'm really hoping for:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lucid-dreamers/empires-of-sorcery MoM-like d20 attempt after the disaster(s?) that were Stardock's Elemental I pre-ordered into? Yes please.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/21693645/harmonia A freaky combo of online tactical RPG, Roguelike aspects, and a raging obsession with old school Shining Force.

Both aiming for modest, low 2 figure amounts as opposed to some 6 figure dream within a dream and neither seems to give off any vibes of being out of their gourd as far as stretch goals if they get that far.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Kennel posted:

"Hey, I made a legendary game 30 years ago*. Here's some uninspired concepts. Give us $900,000."
-David "Pitfall™" Crane
Unless Bruce Campbell is voicing Not-Pitfall Harry, I'm out.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Kennel posted:

-David "Pitfall™" Crane

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jungleventure/david-cranes-jungle-adventure-0?ref=discover_rec

This video/project came off as incredibly douchey and pretentious.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

evilmiera posted:

This is that feeling.

I have nearly every adventure game there is on Steam, and I still would never buy a Nancy Drew game. There's like 30 of them as well.

(That and I hate the 'window' style adventure games with no onscreen protagonist.)

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Amiga owners - represent! The game of my childhood remastered:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/850516062/wings-directors-cut

For those who don't know this game: Wings was an arcade flight sim/shooter set in WWI. The game had three modes: dog fight with standard flight-sim view, strafing which was basically a diagonal shooter and bombing with top-down view. It came with 200 missions each of which was prefaced with a note from the squadron notebook, a newspaper front page on the war progress. There also was a sergeant chewing you out for failed missions or bombarding red cross buildings. All of this on 2 disks.

Look at this gem of an intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEU80Anyvbw

There was also a version for Gameboy Advance, not a port but more of a remake. Not a good game, but it was still better than Wings 2, released only for SNES. God, I hope they do this one right.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oh fuuuck, Wings was an awesome and very ambitious game for its time. Definitely one of the best arcade-like flight games I've played.

Edit: Pandering model lady isn't really doing it for me, though. I guess considering how good those other guys are on camera it's maybe for the better.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 13, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kennel posted:

-David "Pitfall™" Crane

Hey, don't forget about Night Trap!!!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Hey, don't forget about Night Trap!!!

Why is no one doing Kickstarters for FMV games?

Where's my Quantum Gate Complete HD crowd-funded remake?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

zenintrude posted:

Why is no one doing Kickstarters for FMV games?

Did you miss Tex Murphy's new adventure? It's going to be awesome.

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

Fatal posted:

This video/project came off as incredibly douchey and pretentious.
It wasn't great but I've seen far worse.

David Crane deserves a lot of respect for being one of the early pioneers. He could really work some magic on the 2600 (also I love Ghostbusters on the C64 :colbert: ) but $900K for "not-Pitfall" (thanks TetsuoTW)?

I think I'd just rather play Pitfall on my 2600.

Also I hate the concept art.

(Backing this anyway)

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lucid-dreamers/empires-of-sorcery MoM-like d20 attempt after the disaster(s?) that were Stardock's Elemental I pre-ordered into? Yes please.
I really like the looks of this but here's a tip: If you're recording for a Kickstarter vid don't be sucking on a throat lozenge at the same time.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Ok, so you all saw the Dominique Pamplemouse Indiegogo, right?

https://vimeo.com/46326836
B&W stop-motion musical adventure game? Yeah, I was skeptical too...

then she released a demo.

I'm sold. Completely sold. I'd always wondered if you could do a musical-as-a-game, and... man, it works. Yeah, the singing is corny, but heck, that almost adds to it.

EDIT: VV It was a single sequence, though, and the music got strangely choppy if you did it out of order. Pamplemouse is trying for the full thing.

... and yeah, I doubt she's going to hire anyone for it. It's indie as hell.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 13, 2012

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
There was totally a musical-as-game sequence in the game your avatar is from.

Yeah, technically it does work but I kind of find her voice unpleasant. I guess her hiring someone else to do the singing is kind of out of the question, huh?

Al! fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 13, 2012

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Shalinor posted:

Ok, so you all saw the Dominique Pamplemouse Indiegogo, right?

https://vimeo.com/46326836
B&W stop-motion musical adventure game? Yeah, I was skeptical too...

then she released a demo.

I'm sold. Completely sold. I'd always wondered if you could do a musical-as-a-game, and... man, it works. Yeah, the singing is corny, but heck, that almost adds to it.

EDIT: VV It was a single sequence, though, and the music got strangely choppy if you did it out of order. Pamplemouse is trying for the full thing.

... and yeah, I doubt she's going to hire anyone for it. It's indie as hell.

This... is actually good. Too bad Paypal hates me and I can't send her money. Sigh.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Al! posted:

Yeah, technically it does work but I kind of find her voice unpleasant. I guess her hiring someone else to do the singing is kind of out of the question, huh?

Yeah that's my biggest issue too but other than that it's kinda neat.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This thread has had plenty of this sort of thing in the past, so it seems appropriate to ask here--is there somewhere we can go to get examples of what, precisely, constitutes a bannable offense when complaining about how women are depicted in games? Because, like, I am probably going to need to stop posting in Games entirely if merely complaining about it is bannable.

Not to mention we will apparently need an administrative exemption to merely discuss Anita Sarkeesian's gaming Kickstarter.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Quarex posted:

This thread has had plenty of this sort of thing in the past, so it seems appropriate to ask here--is there somewhere we can go to get examples of what, precisely, constitutes a bannable offense when complaining about how women are depicted in games? Because, like, I am probably going to need to stop posting in Games entirely if merely complaining about it is bannable.

Not to mention we will apparently need an administrative exemption to merely discuss Anita Sarkeesian's gaming Kickstarter.
Complaining about it, either way, is not bannable. Attempting to derail entire games threads with it is (just like derailing entire threads with any other pet sociopolitical issue would be).

If you want to discuss it further, please feel free to PM me.

EDIT:

ToxicFrog posted:

Looks like it, yeah. Unless someone starts a thread for it in D&D. :v:
If anyone ever does throw up a thread like that, you might want to let a mod know about it ahead of time. Not like, for permission or anything, just so that someone can get in there before it explodes. D&D may in fact be the better place for it, to try and set a more useful tone.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 13, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Quarex posted:

The post implies that basically anything in that vein, whether about a specific character, gaming as a whole, or anything in between, will get you banned. I'm not a mod, though, and that seems really broad so I'm probably misreading it.

Asking in QCS may be a better bet than asking here, though; that's kind of what it's there for, after all.
Or you could read the mod post above mine for an actual answer!

quote:

Looks like it, yeah. Unless someone starts a thread for it in D&D. :v:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Okay, I've decided to email RPS about the Pamplemoose demo. I suggest you do too, if you liked it.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

That Pamplemouse game is bad. The singer is bad at singing and apparently doesn't know how to pronounce the words she uses. I hope that she goes on about loving "drot" beer and "drot" horses in the next installment!

If this were a placeholder or something, it might be acceptable. But if it's any indication of the game's final quality, it's going to be a stinker. I like the concept (and the stop-motion figures aren't bad, and the writing is OK), but the execution is really lacking.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I scanned the opening post, but it didn't appear the shadowrun online project was on it, just shadowrun returns.

Anyway, its on its last day and has 15% to go(out of 500k) if people still want to get in on it.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Oh hey the Gaymer Con kickstarter just had an update. I wonder what that's about.

quote:

Hello fabulous supporters.

[snip]

We also have some cool new reward levels you might want to check out while you're at it.

$250 We are getting the attention of the gaming community and we have allies there who want to help out! Ever wanted to ask advice about how to break into the gaming industry? Got burning questions about the inner workings of big game developers? Want to just geek out with one of the creators of the popular web series Extra Credits? Now you can. Pledge this level and James Portnow of Rainmaker Games will skype with you for at least 30 minutes and you can take advantage of his industry experience, expertise, and general awesomeness. Limit of three so snatch this up.

$500 We already told you that Ellen McLain, the voice of GLaDOS from Portal, was willing to do a little voice acting just for you. Well John Patrick Lowrie, the voice of the Sniper, was not about to be left out. Choose this reward level and that manly Australian accent (or maybe some other accent you prefer) will whisper whatever you want, within reason, into your ear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJfMZcKNByc
That's all for now. Keep an ear out for that crazy awesome announcement later this week!

:stare:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

William Shatner posted:

Developer here. This is very much what we're going for! Now if we could just get some traction on our Kickstarter. It's difficult getting people to part with their 15 McBucks when we don't have a publisher hammering on PR everywhere!

We released a new trailer today. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIo-UwnixJA

Well shoot, I backed this, it looks fun as all heck.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

$500 We already told you that Ellen McLain, the voice of GLaDOS from Portal, was willing to do a little voice acting just for you. Well John Patrick Lowrie, the voice of the Sniper, was not about to be left out.

They're also praying that you don't ask them to recite more letters to someone named 'Princess Celestia'.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Man, the shadowrun online KS is coming down to the wire. 14 hours, less then 50K to the goal, and they've been barely making the $3,500 per hour they need.

Stalin and Profilin
Aug 20, 2008

I'm a limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin' son of a gun. WOOOO!!

SirFozzie posted:

Man, the shadowrun online KS is coming down to the wire. 14 hours, less then 50K to the goal, and they've been barely making the $3,500 per hour they need.

They've certainly picked up the pace. There's only six hours left and they need just 6.5K more.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Shadowrun Online has made it with with ~5 hours left. Good for them! :unsmith:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
On the other cyberpunk hand, Project Lodus, another aRPG type game, only has 6 hours left and is at about $28k/$50k. It'd be pretty sad for them to be one of those rare project that actually gets a pretty substantial amount and gets pretty close to their goal but just doesn't quite make it. But it's pretty understandable as they haven't really shown much in the way of gameplay.

I think devs really need to get the hint that Tim Schafer was a special situation, and in the real world you're not going to get funded with a wink & a promise, but no actual gameplay to show people what the hell they're actually funding. Hell, even if it's just mock-ups, just make something to show people.

edit: I went ahead and kicked in a dollar anyway, though. What they have shown and talked about looks cool enough to be worth at least that much.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/21693645/harmonia

Looks interesting. It's a... tactical roguelike MMO.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That looks like something I would never want to play.

e: oh i thought the scripting was actually part of the game. still...

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 14, 2012

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

That looks like something I would never want to play.

e: oh i thought the scripting was actually part of the game. still...

Well, it's for the roguelike/MUD crowd, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Wow, that pitch video was a lot better than I was expecting. I rather like the editor, though from the looks of things the 3D element is completely cosmetic.