Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Larryb posted:

I'm pretty sure you can do this in the first game. Just head straight through the door into the next area instead of going to the transserver.

Huh, really? Then how does the game handle you skipping your rank screen and all the story?

Cabbagepots posted:

I mean, they probably don't care that much, but probably as a result of the directors' apathy (people don't care about story in a game where you just blow up robots!), the entire Megaman pantheon seems to be encapsulated within a really dark pan-generational story. It tells the tale of how mankind is doomed to stagnate for thousands of years at the same level of technology, never reaching a Singularity, never expanding into space, and constantly being faced with death at the hands of the things they built. They never overcome aging or disease, they're powerless to do anything against calamities like the terrible Maverick uprisings or the Eurasia Colony impact incident, and even merging their biology with technology doesn't do much to save them.

I think it's all kind of eerie :ohdear:

And then you look at the BN/SF timeline where they basically hit world peace in like two centuries. The moral of the story is that when you have a choice between a magical, sentient internet amoeba and magical, questionably sentient robots, go with the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Cabbagepots posted:

I'm wondering how much thought if any they put into the Megaman story.

I mean, they probably don't care that much, but probably as a result of the directors' apathy (people don't care about story in a game where you just blow up robots!), the entire Megaman pantheon seems to be encapsulated within a really dark pan-generational story. It tells the tale of how mankind is doomed to stagnate for thousands of years at the same level of technology, never reaching a Singularity, never expanding into space, and constantly being faced with death at the hands of the things they built. They never overcome aging or disease, they're powerless to do anything against calamities like the terrible Maverick uprisings or the Eurasia Colony impact incident, and even merging their biology with technology doesn't do much to save them.

Don't worry, eventually we hit the Legends era where even though the world population has been reduced drastically and devoid of historically genetic humans, everyone seems happy enough, and Wily peacefully runs a boat shop :unsmith:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Huh, really? Then how does the game handle you skipping your rank screen and all the story?

And then you look at the BN/SF timeline where they basically hit world peace in like two centuries. The moral of the story is that when you have a choice between a magical, sentient internet amoeba and magical, questionably sentient robots, go with the internet.

If you're talking about the fortess stages any story scenes happen when you beat the stage and I beleive the results screen comes up during the transition to the next one.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I can see that working for Tower to Core, but from Shrine to Tower the story scene happens after you transfer back to base. Unless the game lets you skip it, which would actually be pretty cool.

Either way, this is something I should go try out.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Cabbagepots posted:

I'm wondering how much thought if any they put into the Megaman story.

It actually IS kind of dark, yeah, because Wily's original plan eventually came to fruition, long after he died.

However, they DO overcome aging and disease in the ZX series; in fact it's a plot point that the Reploids are hated because of their technical immortality versus humanity's aging, so they find a way to merge them. The ZX series takes place in a post-war Utopia that Dr. Light envisioned...which then has its own problems.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I can see that working for Tower to Core, but from Shrine to Tower the story scene happens after you transfer back to base. Unless the game lets you skip it, which would actually be pretty cool.

Either way, this is something I should go try out.

I don't remember the scene from Shrine to Tower but I know Tower to Core works (Ceil will automatically give her little speech when you try to walk through the door behind her).

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Don't worry, eventually we hit the Legends era where even though the world population has been reduced drastically and devoid of historically genetic humans, everyone seems happy enough, and Wily peacefully runs a boat shop :unsmith:

This is what he wants you to think. All of the sudden "I know this is sudden, but I'm Doctor Wily, announcing my first plot to take over all the boats IN THE WORLD!!!"

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So since it up to the fans to make new Megaman games, I recently stumbled upon a really good one:

Mega Man: Day in the Limelight 2
http://fusionfangaming.spriters-resource.com/index.php?topic=36.0

Its a fusion game where you basically control the Robot Master from Megaman 2 in Megaman 3. Each level starts with a specific Robot Master (with the level edited to take advantage of that Robot Master abilities along with some new gameplay elements) and afterwards the Robot Master is unlocked to use at any time. Its really fun!

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Jn1GeWW0w&feature=player_embedded

Some pics:

Time to be Heros boys!

BexGu fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 13, 2012

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

BexGu posted:

Holy poo poo so awesome.

This makes me sad it isn't for mac. :smith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

LemonLimeTime posted:

This makes me sad it isn't for mac. :smith:

How much can a laptop from the XP era dedicated to playing indie games that are never on mac really run you? C'mon son, get in the game.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wow, that was pretty fun. Definitely one of the better fan-made games that I've played.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Doom Goon posted:

Wow, that was pretty fun. Definitely one of the better fan-made games that I've played.

I also realized there is a Mega Man: Day in the Limelight orginal that takes the Robot Master from Mega Man 1 into 2. So some more play time!

http://fusionfangaming.spriters-resource.com/index.php/topic,35.0.html

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I like that when they are showing off the bosses abilities, Bubble Man is just awkwardly waddling toward water.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

The Human Crouton posted:

I like that when they are showing off the bosses abilities, Bubble Man is just awkwardly waddling toward water.

The creator actually added in some extra gameplay elements where Bubbleman can raise the water on various levels to swim around, the bubble lead can now capture enemy shots and fire them back and haahahaha nah Bubble Man is still loving worthless.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BexGu posted:

So since it up to the fans to make new Megaman games, I recently stumbled upon a really good one:

Mega Man: Day in the Limelight 2
http://fusionfangaming.spriters-resource.com/index.php?topic=36.0

Its a fusion game where you basically control the Robot Master from Megaman 2 in Megaman 3. Each level starts with a specific Robot Master (with the level edited to take advantage of that Robot Master abilities along with some new gameplay elements) and afterwards the Robot Master is unlocked to use at any time. Its really fun!

I just played a little of this, and I think it's excellent. The different powers interact in a lot of clever ways, and the stage gimmicks from the original MM3 are put to good use.

Bubble Man is surprisingly fun to play as.

BexGu posted:

The creator actually added in some extra gameplay elements where Bubbleman can raise the water on various levels to swim around, the bubble lead can now capture enemy shots and fire them back and haahahaha nah Bubble Man is still loving worthless.

He's a hell of a lot more useful than Crash Man. Crash Man is all kinds of awkward to use properly.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 13, 2012

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Lurdiak posted:

How much can a laptop from the XP era dedicated to playing indie games that are never on mac really run you? C'mon son, get in the game.

Hey, LemonLimeTime, I've got one of these available if you're interested at all. PM me and we'll talk.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

BexGu posted:

Actually, Bubble lead seems to do more damage then any other attack, and is pretty fantastic against any enemy below you. I think I probably used metal blade the least, because missing with it just sucks (and it doesn't have as many niche uses as crash bomb

Bubble lead is especially good against Fireman, since it hits the lower platforms.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Who do you think taught him to jump like that?

My god. I haven't had that much fun playing a Mega Man game at years. That final battle was pretty awesome.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

My dad has a PC, theres just no AC in there this summer. gently caress it, I'm gonna just suck it up and download it on that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

senae posted:

Actually, Bubble lead seems to do more damage then any other attack, and is pretty fantastic against any enemy below you. I think I probably used metal blade the least, because missing with it just sucks (and it doesn't have as many niche uses as crash bomb

Bubble lead is especially good against Fireman, since it hits the lower platforms.

Bubble Lead also kills the guys that make a floor to ceiling arc in Spark Man's stage.

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009
New game announced for iOS.

Looks like an endless runner, Capcom's calling it a "Social RPG". Someone with a monkey's paw is extremely disappointed right now. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Holy poo poo how does an official product look that bad?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
So uhhh... is this something we have to buy to keep the Mega Man IP alive? Because this game looks so loving awful I'm not even sure if it's worth it at this point.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
When this doesn't sell Capcom will take it as further evidence that the Mega Man franchise is dead.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I look forward to the Mega Man SEs, crudely layering awful filters over spritework and having Proto Man shoot first, just as Inafune intended.

No but seriously why in the Sam gently caress did they decide the eyesore X iOS port was a good segue into their next Mega Man artstyle? Even with the Jakob-long list of stupid horseshit Capcom's thrown money at, this is a real stretch.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

TKImpulse posted:

New game announced for iOS.

Looks like an endless runner, Capcom's calling it a "Social RPG". Someone with a monkey's paw is extremely disappointed right now. :v:

Cool artwork, awful logo, awful screenshots.

Where is my new MegaMan game. :colbert:

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!
I feel like I'm looking at a sprite comic. It's like Capcom heard about the FFVII re-release and said "naw dawg let's show those guys what real laziness is :smug:"

e: Why am I not surprised that the Megaman Legends version of Megaman is the smallest on that promo art. :sigh:

Silly Voodoo fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 16, 2012

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I thought it was a crappy flash game at first.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Yep. Rockman's Over alright.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I get the feeling those screenshots were leaked, I can't seem to find them anywhere on the Japanese (only? currently) site for the game. It looks like some WIP poo poo that shouldn't have seen daylight what with the missing ground layer and all.

That said I'm gonna buy this! It seems like a fun concept and Capcom has surprised me plenty of times with this series. Nothing yet is giving me "run away whining" vibes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I get the feeling those screenshots were leaked, I can't seem to find them anywhere on the Japanese (only? currently) site for the game. It looks like some WIP poo poo that shouldn't have seen daylight what with the missing ground layer and all.

No, that's pretty much what cash-in iOS games look like. See also: Mega Man X for iOS.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I litterly can't do it, I can not give a gently caress about what stupid inane not the archie comics nonsense that Capcom does anymore.

I'm going to just openly assume EX Troopers and that mind swap game will be cancelled at this point to just save myself a whole load of bother.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I can't tell, can you actually play as all of the Megamen or are you only playing as the guy in the back of the art with him copying previous playstyles? And if it's the latter, why would anyone want to play Megaman ZX with significantly less variety?

Admittingly BN and SF being there gives Capcom a blank check to do whatever the heck they want, but let's face it they'd stick to the most basic of the basic chip/cards.

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

I can't tell, can you actually play as all of the Megamen or are you only playing as the guy in the back of the art with him copying previous playstyles?

If they let you play as older characters, it'll probably be an in-app purchase per character.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Holy poo poo Capcom, I can't even be mad about this stuff anymore. This is hilarious!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I saw a new Rockman logo.

I bit my lip.

"Is this-?!?!"

Then I saw "for ios" and then finally, the in-game screenshot.

Maybe there will be a 3ds version guys! Guys...? :(

Solaire
Jun 21, 2012

Lodare il sole
This series is done. Capcom's just humping a corpse by this point, trying to suck what little cash they can out of it.

This is why I hate Capcom. Because at the end of the day, despite having some very talented developers who've crafted many high quality titles, the corporation is run by greedy fucks.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Himuro posted:

I saw a new Rockman logo.

I bit my lip.

"Is this-?!?!"

Then I saw "for ios" and then finally, the in-game screenshot.

Maybe there will be a 3ds version guys! Guys...? :(

Why would you want that? Game looks abysmal. Reused assets, lazy art, and what looks like a significant change to the gameplay.

If you have an android, consider Gunman Clive. Best Megaman-like game since X5.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Why would you want that? Game looks abysmal. Reused assets, lazy art, and what looks like a significant change to the gameplay.

If you have an android, consider Gunman Clive. Best Megaman-like game since X5.

No I mean, you know how often ios versions are the half assed version and then the 360 version or whatever is the "real" game? Maybe it'll be like that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I know I pretty much said it in one of my last posts, but Capcom has made me the pessimist I so desperately don't want to be...

Oh, didn't like the first Mega Man: Day in the Limelight nearly as much. Bailed on the final fight as Bomb Man. Glad I played the second one first.