Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Can someone do a data dump on pre-'04 Sportsters? I'm seeing a bunch of them pop up for cheap-ish on CL lately. Is the older frame-mounted engine as punishing as rumors make it seem? What are good years to look for or avoid? Other than the obvious hamfisted Harley owner aftermarket 'mods', is there anything critical to look out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

Can someone do a data dump on pre-'04 Sportsters? I'm seeing a bunch of them pop up for cheap-ish on CL lately. Is the older frame-mounted engine as punishing as rumors make it seem? What are good years to look for or avoid? Other than the obvious hamfisted Harley owner aftermarket 'mods', is there anything critical to look out for?

I'll expand on this tomorrow when i'm at a computer but here are a few thoughts:

86-90 - have 4 speed transmission which isn't as desirable. Harder to find some parts as they are a bit different. Harder to work on. Also they were chain drive versus belt so more maintenance.

If I were looking, I probably wouldn't get one. I had an 87.

After 90, the changes were pretty subtle.

In 2000, they came with 4 piston calipers which are an improvement. Sealed bearings in the wheels.

To me, the frame mount ride isn't bad at all but i'm biased. I have a 2000. I have ridden a nightster quite a bit and the ride might be slightly better but very similar. I found that upgrading the rear shocks to road king air shocks and the front springs to progressive drop INS improved the ride quite a lot.

If I were to buy a specific sportster, it would be a 1200s. The "sportster sport" it came with dual front discs, dual plugged heads and better cams for a bit more performance, upgraded shocks and some black accessories.

Aside from that model, upgrades I would look for are a 2 into 1 exhaust, a nice seat as the stock seats suck and just a bike that has been well maintained. These things run forever with even half way decent care.

Other performance considerations would be whether you want to do an 883 or a 1200. Obviously the 1200 will have more performance but if you plan to go for hi performance in the future, the 883 heads are desirable for porting when you do a 1200 or 1250 conversion.

My bike was an 883 originally and I had it converted to 1250 but instead of porting 883 heads, went with the 2004 heads which are even better. On that note, if you find an 04-06, I wouldn't be afraid of that either. Better performance and still carbureted.

As far as models, they had the sport as I mentioned, the883c and 1200c which came with more chrome, different riser and handlebar setup basically top of the line. The standard 1200 and 883 and the hugger which was just the lowered version like the low today.

Hope that helps some. Condition is everything to me. These bikes are so easy to change things on, get a good canvas and change it how you see fit.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm seeing the same phenomenon. I don't think I've ever seen so many drop into the low-mid 3s. Even high 2s if you're willing to go Ironhead. This puts them squarely in inflated UJM territory.

Get to know what a Roadster looks like. Most people who put one up for sale are unaware they have one and market it strictly as a Sportster. This is occasionally true of the Sport version--I know, department of redundancy department--which as Scrapez points out has an atypical amount of stock goodies. Most owners of these, however, realize they've been changing twice the usual number of spark plugs. Hard to miss, therefore usually marketed as "rare."

I have never ridden a pre-rubbermount, but if it's like any other HD hand-me-down wisdom, I'm sure the rep for vibration is somewhat exaggerated. Even if it isn't, the Sportster was never designed to be a long range weapon anyway. V-twins shake. It's what they do. I know we'd all like to reduce it to some innocuous energy pack the size of a Kit-Kat, but if we ever do, re-introducing this shake will be the #1 aftermarket accessory. I'm thinking maybe Sony Dual Shock technology writ large.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
So I have been presented the opportunity to pick up an '08 (or '09 - not sure what year it is yet) Crossbones with 1200 miles on the ticker. The bike is in mint condition and has the Black Ice Denim paint. Since I'm family, my uncle only wants $9500.

I have to buy this, right?

(Disclaimer: I've been riding bikes since I was 10, had various sportbikes over the years, and now have a VStar 1100 that will get sold if I decide to pull the trigger on this)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't know about you folks but I am mentally on my way to Sturgis. I am pretty much an oil change, wheel bearing replacement, and 40 clocked hours away... and I am useless.

Am I the only goon going?

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

Yarrrr! I be here to plunder the fun outta me workplace! Avast!

FREE DECAHEDRON!

clutchpuck posted:

I don't know about you folks but I am mentally on my way to Sturgis. I am pretty much an oil change, wheel bearing replacement, and 40 clocked hours away... and I am useless.

Am I the only goon going?

Not I, good sir. When you consider what I'm working with

It's pretty, but that's a long way from Pittsburgh for an old ironhead sportster. Yes, this was an excuse to post a picture of my bike.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thursday I'll be taking my first bike trip, about 400 miles one way (I think) from Mississippi to Houston Texas. I'll be riding my new to me 96 Sportster, an 883 converted over to a 1200. My buddy bought his wife a Midnight warrior, and he'll be going over there with me on his Roadliner (wife will fly in then ride back with us). They have helmet cams and junk, so I should be able to bring back some pictures.

Anyway, as far as the shake on this pre-rubber mount bike, I have nothing to compare it to but a sv650 and it seems about the same. If I take the Sportster to work (60 miles one way), I sorta feel live I've just cut the grass when I get done, kinda numb but nothing bad. We'll see how it goes on the longer trip, I'll let you guys know.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Jack B Nimble posted:

Anyway, as far as the shake on this pre-rubber mount bike, I have nothing to compare it to but a sv650 and it seems about the same. If I take the Sportster to work (60 miles one way), I sorta feel live I've just cut the grass when I get done, kinda numb but nothing bad. We'll see how it goes on the longer trip, I'll let you guys know.

Depending on whether you've got the peanut tank or something larger mounted, you're going to be stopping around the 100-120 mile mark anyway. So it'll be like cutting your lawn and the neighbor's. I think I pushed it to 150+ on one leg of my last long excursion, but we're talking exit to exit freeway with a 4 gallon tank and no particular desire to hang out in Kentucky.

Safe travels, and if you somehow wind up at 61/49 in Clarksdale, get a pic with the big blue guitars.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The trip went well, and I got a few pictures I'll post later. The sportster was way better for prolonged trips (500 miles a day) then I had thought. Once I got the highways pegs situated how I wanted I really felt like I could have ridden forever, since you have to take breaks for gas anyway.

Only worry was up in Arkansas when it started to knock. We ended up taking the valve cover off in a church parking lot, but in the end decided it had to be the gas we'd gotten in Pickens, MS. After letting the bike cool down the knock stopped, and we put premium in it from then on just to be safe The bike is an 883 converted to a 1200 and we don't really know what all was done to it. It also currently has the 883 ignition (I ordered the correct one but it hasn't come in yet).

I'm going down to the dealership to pick up a few things, then I'll take the bike over to my buddies and we'll check the plugs and stuff, see how it's been since the trip. I need to buy an outer primary gasket and ... the o-rings or whatever that go where the clutch lines go into the outer primary. Anyone know what that last part would be?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

2010 Crossbones. 1400 miles and pretty much all stock. No big plans for it since I love the bike as it is. I'll probably methodically replace all the chrome bits with black. It's my first Harley.

Bonus: Already have a 17 day bike trip planned for the end of this month. Curious to see how Death Valley in August feels :/

Edit: anyone know of a good place to get a license plate bracket that vertically mounts to the side, preferably NOT in chrome?

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 8, 2012

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
I am a sportster guy and don't have a lot of love for the big twins, but if I were to buy one, it would be that one... great looking bike! I would ditch the rack and the highway bars if it were mine, but the rest looks pretty drat good as is.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

DILLIGAF posted:

I am a sportster guy and don't have a lot of love for the big twins, but if I were to buy one, it would be that one... great looking bike! I would ditch the rack and the highway bars if it were mine, but the rest looks pretty drat good as is.

I actually like the highway bars, but the rack and bags are gone once I get back from my trip.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The crossbones is just begging for a small pair of throw-overs right under the saddle.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

DILLIGAF posted:

I haven't ridden one, only sat on them, but the Crossbones™ by Harley-Davidson™ seems really comfortable, and part of the reason are those bars. Some modest apes also are surprisingly comfortable

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Schlieren posted:

I haven't ridden one, only sat on them, but the Crossbones™ by Harley-Davidson™ seems really comfortable, and part of the reason are those bars. Some modest apes also are surprisingly comfortable

I was talking about the horrendous crash bars :) They don't work for poo poo unless it is dropping it in the driveway anyway...

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

DILLIGAF posted:

I was talking about the horrendous crash bars :) They don't work for poo poo unless it is dropping it in the driveway anyway...

As you can see however the top of them make a great spot for stretching out your legs

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Schlieren posted:

As you can see however the top of them make a great spot for stretching out your legs

Yes they do. But they now scare the piss out of me and will be coming off. After doing some spirited riding yesterday and scraping the floorboards a few times I started to wonder about clearance. When we stopped for lunch I realized that the bars are about a mm higher than my floorboards. If I'm scraping the boards I'm about to scrape the bars. And, while my boards are spring mounted, those bars are rigid. I took corners a lot gentler after that.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

With the fat front tire on my bike, there is a lot of stress on the forks when riding twisty roads. After a couple of days at Deal's gap, my fork seals were shot, same thing happened the next year.

Looked around and couldn't find any 41mm wide glide fork braces that I really liked, and the prices were ridiculous, so I figured I could redneck something together that would help.

Some 1/4" steel, a hole saw, an angle grinder, some steel tubing and threaded rod, this is what I came up with.

While I was at it, I changed out the sliders, completely rebuilt the forks and did a brake job.

Now to take it back to Deal's Gap and see if it helps!

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

DILLIGAF posted:

With the fat front tire on my bike, there is a lot of stress on the forks when riding twisty roads. After a couple of days at Deal's gap, my fork seals were shot, same thing happened the next year.

Looked around and couldn't find any 41mm wide glide fork braces that I really liked, and the prices were ridiculous, so I figured I could redneck something together that would help.

Some 1/4" steel, a hole saw, an angle grinder, some steel tubing and threaded rod, this is what I came up with.

While I was at it, I changed out the sliders, completely rebuilt the forks and did a brake job.

Here is some constructive criticism:

The above drawing shows the loads on a fork, in a turn, hitting a bump. On the bottom left you can see your fork brace. The brace parallelograms about the threaded rods of your brace and the axle to fork bolted joints.

On the bottom right, you can see the "superbrace" style approach. This design has more stiffness in the axis to resist the loads I drew in the top picture.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

DILLIGAF posted:

Wouldn't it be better to put the stock tire back on?

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Giblet Plus! posted:

Here is some constructive criticism:

The above drawing shows the loads on a fork, in a turn, hitting a bump. On the bottom left you can see your fork brace. The brace parallelograms about the threaded rods of your brace and the axle to fork bolted joints.

On the bottom right, you can see the "superbrace" style approach. This design has more stiffness in the axis to resist the loads I drew in the top picture.

Not an engineer or even pretending to be. This basic design is one I copied from a couple of companies that make fork braces, just not in the size I wanted.

What you drew out makes absolute sense, but the issue I am having (I think!) is not that the two legs are compressing at different rates along the longitudinal axis, but that they are torquing? Twisting? at different rates, as though the leading edge of the tire is attempting to turn at a different rate than the trailing edge of the tired (if that makes ANY sense at all)

If you are right about what is causing the seals on my sliders, I have no problem trashing these and starting over. I guess I will find out next time I take it up, eh?

Crayvex posted:

Wouldn't it be better to put the stock tire back on?

Better? Um.... maybe easier, but where is the fun in that? Besides, I like the look and the way this rides, with the exception of the seal issue and that has only been a problem after several days of running US129. For the rest of the year, commuting and the occasional romp, it is just dandy.

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 13, 2012

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

DILLIGAF posted:

Not an engineer or even pretending to be. This basic design is one I copied from a couple of companies that make fork braces, just not in the size I wanted.

What you drew out makes absolute sense, but the issue I am having (I think!) is not that the two legs are compressing at different rates along the longitudinal axis, but that they are torquing? Twisting? at different rates, as though the leading edge of the tire is attempting to turn at a different rate than the trailing edge of the tired (if that makes ANY sense at all)

If you are right about what is causing the seals on my sliders, I have no problem trashing these and starting over. I guess I will find out next time I take it up, eh?

The current design will provide very little stiffness to the forks twisting relative to each other, due to the small jointed connection between the tubing and the side plates. They will parallelogram along the axis of the fork as well.

If you have a bench press drill, hole saw, and radial or belt saw, you should be able to make a superbrace style brace yourself.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Alternately get a bigger bike's thicker forks?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
It just seems to me that blowing fork seals for something that supposedly rides better and looks better seems horribly unsafe to me. Thinner tires means more grip for cornering. Thicker tires is for riding in straight lines.

To each their own. Just stay safe.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Wow, why the gently caress are footpegs so expensive?! Anything other than plain rubber is ridiculous, and I don't even want chrome.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Anyone know offhand if there are significant physical differences between the Sportster engine and the other Harley V-Twins? Other than displacement I mean.

The Sportster builds always seem quite high centered. I was wondering if that was something to do with the geometry of the engine.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Backov posted:

Anyone know offhand if there are significant physical differences between the Sportster engine and the other Harley V-Twins? Other than displacement I mean.

The Sportster builds always seem quite high centered. I was wondering if that was something to do with the geometry of the engine.

They have a unitized crankcase / transmission. The mechanical drive for the cams uses gears, compared to the silent chain of the big twin.

The high centeredness probably comes from the more ideal belt/chain and swingarm angles than from the design of the engine.

This one looks somewhat high centered, maybe a little less just because of the overwhelming size of the big twin:

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2012/08/05/big-twin-torque-in-a-sport-bike-package/

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

So I got this last Tuesday... Dealer leftover 2011 XR1200R with 25miles on the odometer.

I was out with the wife, stopped at the local dealership to get some fork oil and was drooling over one they had that was a contest prize some guy had won. Wife rolled her eyes, then said "Just get one if you want it!"

Took a couple of days of searching to find one, it was in Spartanburg SC... drove down, paid cash, rode it home.

In about 6 hours, a bunch of Sportster guys are leaving for 5 days @ Deal's gap, should be able to give it a good workout.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The XR1200R is seriously the sexiest bike the motor company makes. That thing looks amazing.

Plus, factory applied rim-tape? I'm onboard (not joking)

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
They look so weird in pictures but they're so awesome in person.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I dunno, they look pretty great in pictures too.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I like how you went from saying that a fork brace was too expensive to just buying a new bike. That matte white is a really cool look.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Hold on, are those inverted forks? On a Harley? This isn't the America I was born in

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I can't wait to simultaneously hate what you are going to do to that bike because you have questionable taste, but respect the fact that you do most of the work yourself and do at least somewhat original things to your bike.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

DILLIGAF posted:

So I got this last Tuesday... Dealer leftover 2011 XR1200R with 25miles on the odometer.

I was out with the wife, stopped at the local dealership to get some fork oil and was drooling over one they had that was a contest prize some guy had won. Wife rolled her eyes, then said "Just get one if you want it!"

Took a couple of days of searching to find one, it was in Spartanburg SC... drove down, paid cash, rode it home.

In about 6 hours, a bunch of Sportster guys are leaving for 5 days @ Deal's gap, should be able to give it a good workout.

cool bike, easily the coolest harley made by harley in the last ~20 years or so. but I'd still rather have a buell s1.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Good news! You can buy 4-5 X1s for the cost of a XR1200x.... If you can find them!

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

n8r posted:

I can't wait to simultaneously hate what you are going to do to that bike because you have questionable taste, but respect the fact that you do most of the work yourself and do at least somewhat original things to your bike.

Ha ha ha I agree. I'm not a big sportster fan but I do enjoy seeing what Dilligaf comes up with even if I don't like it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was gonna say, "please dont modify it", but I know that wont happen, so godspeed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Giblet Plus! posted:

cool bike, easily the coolest harley made by harley in the last ~20 years or so. but I'd still rather have a buell s1.

That thing with the flag on it is the rear suspension damper, right? And does it actually extend when the rear wheel hits a bump? Crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

That thing with the flag on it is the rear suspension damper, right? And does it actually extend when the rear wheel hits a bump? Crazy.

I believe thats the rear shock, and the spring doesnt expand, it contracts like a normal shock, it just sort of works backwards from a normal shock

• Locked thread