Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
CHIDO - WTF with those chickens of yours! JEEZ - did you have a heart attack! Glad they are all accounted for. You are the chicken nurse maid, you're the best!

DISCO NIXON - cute birds! They are all beautiful - The little rooster is so adorable looking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Well, they didn't kill anything, but they sure had fn pecking at Roo's brken footfeathers. Pretty much all the feathers on his ourter right foot are gone, all the feathers broke at their base so I can see the hollow quills. Most have stopped bleeding, only one was dripping a bit of blood. Cute to me grabbing him, wrapping him on a t-shirt, and rinsing his foot while he's screaming bloody murder. I put some flour on the quills since I forgot I have kiwk-stop, so I'll apply that once he calms down and I clean his foot again.

Dumb Roo also got bumblefoot again because he's an idiot who doesn't want where he steps when he chases his hens, so I gotta bandage his feet again. At least the footpads don' feel hard like before, so I seems the infection is only on the skin. Seriously Princess Roo gets more pedicures than me :mad:

Woah! Can you take some photos and post the URLs here for people to click the links if they want to see? I wonder what Roostroyer did to hurt his foot (which then caused the hens to start pecking). Silly chickens!

I don't see how Roo keeps hurting his feet. Your entire yard is grass and dirt. Is he tripping over the stepping stones around the trees?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

They attacked Roo? :(

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Geez, poor Roo! He likely broke off a couple of blood feathers on his foot and the others just naturally pecked at the blood, and he good-naturedly allowed it. Silly chicken. His Bumblefoot will be an on again off again issue throughout his life, unfortunately. It's one of the hazards of large-breed roos. :(

Disco Nixon, Grubby's head is amazing! Any chance you can post some up close pics? That comb!!!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

c355n4 posted:

They attacked Roo? :(

Not really, he was just standing there while the henhoes kept pecking at his bloody foot. They looked all :black101: with their bloody faces.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Geez, poor Roo! He likely broke off a couple of blood feathers on his foot and the others just naturally pecked at the blood, and he good-naturedly allowed it. Silly chicken. His Bumblefoot will be an on again off again issue throughout his life, unfortunately. It's one of the hazards of large-breed roos. :(

Disco Nixon, Grubby's head is amazing! Any chance you can post some up close pics? That comb!!!

If you are taking photos of Grubby (dat comb!), can you also snap a few close-up shots of "Meatie"? I think the feather pattern on her back is soooo pretty! Thanks for posting photos of your flocks! I love seeing people's pet chickens. :)

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Inveigle, did you see that cute Ancona rooster - his comb is GINORMOUS! What a cutie! I think all chickens are adorable.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

piscesbobbie posted:

Inveigle, did you see that cute Ancona rooster - his comb is GINORMOUS! What a cutie! I think all chickens are adorable.

Yes, the dalmation-rooster was a total cutie! He'll have to grow into that comb. :)

If Disco Nixon doesn't know, I'm partial to chickens that are black and white like Anaconas, Silver Sebrights, Silver Spangled Hamburgs, and Silver Laced Wyndottes.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

That Ancona roo looks just like a smaller version of my Abacus. His comb and wattles are amazing, I should go take a pic of him.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Disco Nixon, beautiful birdies. I actually really like the dark cornish, so pretty!

And Roo :argh: Stop giving your mom so much trouble!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

That Ancona roo looks just like a smaller version of my Abacus. His comb and wattles are amazing, I should go take a pic of him.

Nettle Soup, please pretty please photos! Thank you in advance!

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

My girlies are getting so big! :3:

http://youtu.be/N7I4GlNnFeg

They love fluttering around like that first thing when I bring them outside.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Greycious posted:

My girlies are getting so big! :3:

http://youtu.be/N7I4GlNnFeg

They love fluttering around like that first thing when I bring them outside.

Awwwww Greycious - they are so adorable. Wow, look at them trying to fly! Thank you so much for sharing your video. SO VERY CUTE! Will you try to trim one side of flight feathers?

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 12, 2012

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

We had a pair of Dark Cornish girls, they were adorably round and stocky, and their cackle was more of a scraping-croak noise. Very sweet girls with beautiful, soft, tiny feathers. They laid tiny, round eggs.

We called them The Tank Girls because that's what they were like--little round, solid tanks. :keke:

Their first day with us:

About two months later.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

piscesbobbie posted:

Awwwww Greycious - they are so adorable. Wow, look at them trying to fly! Thank you so much for sharing your video. SO VERY CUTE! Will you try to trim one side of flight feathers?

Well, I hope I won't need to! I guess if they keep this up when they are adults I might have to though!

Over the last couple days I've been pretty surprised how friendly one of the white rocks is. She's the only one that will actually come up into my lap while outside. It is very :3:

VS those girls are too cute.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

[quote="Velvet Sparrow" post="406468393"]
We had a pair of Dark Cornish girls, they were adorably round and stocky, and their cackle was more of a scraping-croak noise. Very sweet girls with beautiful, soft, tiny feathers. They laid tiny, round eggs.

VS- So Disco Nixon might get eggs from "Meatie," are the eggs small like little marbles or the size of a robin's egg? Size of a tablespoon measure? Are these the cornish chickens that people eat, you know the ones that grow massive then need to be butchered at 12 weeks or so?

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 12, 2012

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Greycious posted:

Well, I hope I won't need to! I guess if they keep this up when they are adults I might have to though!

Over the last couple days I've been pretty surprised how friendly one of the white rocks is. She's the only one that will actually come up into my lap while outside. It is very :3:

VS those girls are too cute.

If you trim their wings, do both. All my henhoes have trim wings because they are so ghetto they'd try to break into the neighbors' yards and eat their food (or become dogfood). They don't really try to jump over the fence, but when Tissue and Turkey were still strays, they'd jump over the 6-7 feet fence, fly onto our roof, and perch on a pine tree next door at night. drat birds can fly when they want to.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The boys, Abacus and Eros perch on the top of the 7ft fence. I really need to do their wings, but the garden it's backing onto is empty and neglected anyway, nobody's been in there for years. (Except for me, to retrieve chickens :downs:) They get up there by jumping onto the top of the old chicken house first.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

The boys, Abacus and Eros perch on the top of the 7ft fence. I really need to do their wings, but the garden it's backing onto is empty and neglected anyway, nobody's been in there for years. (Except for me, to retrieve chickens :downs:) They get up there by jumping onto the top of the old chicken house first.

The boys have found a perfect location to rule over the minions! Better yet, a perfect lookout to protect the girls!

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Chido posted:

If you trim their wings, do both. All my henhoes have trim wings because they are so ghetto they'd try to break into the neighbors' yards and eat their food (or become dogfood). They don't really try to jump over the fence, but when Tissue and Turkey were still strays, they'd jump over the 6-7 feet fence, fly onto our roof, and perch on a pine tree next door at night. drat birds can fly when they want to.

Wow, well it sounds like I will need to be doing wing trims then! Good thing I use to do this with my cockateils when I was younger, so I'm not a complete stranger to it.

I'll let them enjoy working all their muscles out while they are still little things though :)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

piscesbobbie posted:

Hey Spookygonk, how is Pip doing since the attack. Is all well?

She's fighting the fight. Our usual vet (an hour's drive away) wasn't available so we rang round for an alternative and found one that deals with chickens only a 10 minutes down the road. We got an appointment within an hour of calling. This meant way less stress for Pip.
He checked her over carefully and found more tooth punctures including a deep one that pierced her air sack on the right hand side, so her skin had puffed up. Luckily the skin had already healed there (and the other bies had clotted) so he was able to draw the excess air (150ml) out with a syringe. She was put on Tylan to stop any infection from the bites (foxes have reallly grotty teeth) and brought home. The rest of Thursday was in the nest after we fed and medicated her in the kitchen. Friday she hobbled / hoppped out of the nest so it looked like her right leg was either too sore or there was something else there. She was still wolfing down live (white) maggots and mealworms with grated cheese and blueberries (seperate bowls) so her appetite is still good.
Saturday morning was a repeat trip to the vet. He gave her legs bones and joints a full going over, but said there was no damage to them. More likely the wounds from the bites or the struggle to escape from the fox has hurt the leg. We have Metacam, an anti-inflammitary / pain killer to give her daily as well now.
Sunday morning and she hobbled out of the nest and after a an hour or two walked slowley out of the run. She's slow at everything and tires easily, but we're seeing the Pip we know, especially the sharp eyes she has. And her appetite is still in full force.

It's going to be a long recovery, but I think Pip's going to pull through. Thanks for asking, I'll update in a couple of days. Just got to trap the fox that did this now.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

piscesbobbie posted:

[quote="Velvet Sparrow" post="406468393"]

VS- So Disco Nixon might get eggs from "Meatie," are the eggs small like little marbles or the size of a robin's egg? Size of a tablespoon measure? Are these the cornish chickens that people eat, you know the ones that grow massive then need to be butchered at 12 weeks or so?

Their full breed & variety name is Dark Indian Cornish Rock. They lay your basic banty-size egg about the size of a ping pong ball, theirs were just really round, not pointed at all. Just like their body shape. :) They are indeed the Cornish Game Hens you see under plastic at the supermarket. But different from the roasting chickens that are sold in supermarket various piece assortments or at KFC. Grocery store roasting chickens are heavy, stocky, larger and white--a breed called Cornish Cross, they are related to Cornish Rocks.

More about Dark Cornish here, there are several color varieties:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Cornish/BRKCornish.html

Dark Indian Cornish Rocks can live normal, long chicken lives, unlike their Cornish Cross cousins they do not eat all the time like mad things so the weight thing isn't an issue. They are hilarious to have, so round and heavy, with feet set wide apart, when they run it's like seeing a shotput run. :keke: Needless to say they cannot fly at all. Very sweet, comical, they like people, somewhat talkative, one of the breeds I'd always like to have in my flock.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

What exactly is this? Do you literally take a pair of scissors and go chop-chop, like an avian equivalent of the quick in dogs and cats?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

daggerdragon posted:

What exactly is this? Do you literally take a pair of scissors and go chop-chop, like an avian equivalent of the quick in dogs and cats?

Feathers are like hair or fingernails, you can cut most of a feather off without harming the bird. The only danger comes if you cut what is called a 'blood feather'--one that is still growing in where you can see blood in the shaft, it'll look dark. If you clip or break off a blood feather it acts like a straw and the bird bleeds, sometimes to the point of endangering it's life. But a proper wing trim never even gets near the base of the feather, you basically only trim off the long flight feathers on the leading edge of the wing.

Good page here on the right way AND the wrong way to clip wings, including photos.
http://birdmart.com/wings.html

I always clip the wings of youngster chicks when they go out into the flock for the first time, even the heavy breeds and Silkies--youngsters have strong legs and can jump, flap and climb up on things and clear fences in that manner, plus they are curious and foolish as to the ways of predators. After they've been out in the flock long enough to grow the clipped feathers back, they've wised up, know where they live and that home is the best place to be. :)

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Greycious your chicks are so cute! The wing trims aren't that difficult. I had a friend come help me trim my ladies and it took about 10 minutes to do all 4 of them. They haven't tried to make it over the fence yet, but we've only got 3' high fence in a lot of places so we did it to be on the safe side when they started jumping on top of their coop.

We got our last first egg today! Beatrice took her sweet time but she finally gave us a cute little blue-green egg early this afternoon. And Chido, thanks for your suggestions about the egg-pecking. I read someplace to try putting wooden eggs in so they would realize that pecking eggs doesn't get you anything fun (since she isn't actually eating them, just pecking once per egg). So far it seems to be working. We've had three days without pecked eggs. I'm hoping that she satisfied her curiosity and will stop. If she starts again we'll move on to redesigning the nestboxes so they are egg-eater proof.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Trimming chicken wing feathers takes about 5 seconds. Its really not that hard. We usually have to cut some of our's secondary flight feathers too or they can just barely make it over the fence. :argh:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Ugh it's been so hot these days that my nieces and I go out and wet the chickens and the run with a hose nozzle. It gets kinda fun, we end up soaked and the chickens try to hide from the water under the trees, bu overall it's been working. I make sure to we the dirt as much as possible so when they take their dust baths, it's not with dry, hot dust.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Their full breed & variety name is Dark Indian Cornish Rock. They lay your basic banty-size egg about the size of a ping pong ball, theirs were just really round, not pointed at all. Just like their body shape. :) They are indeed the Cornish Game Hens you see under plastic at the supermarket. But different from the roasting chickens that are sold in supermarket various piece assortments or at KFC. Grocery store roasting chickens are heavy, stocky, larger and white--a breed called Cornish Cross, they are related to Cornish Rocks.

More about Dark Cornish here, there are several color varieties:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Cornish/BRKCornish.html

Dark Indian Cornish Rocks can live normal, long chicken lives, unlike their Cornish Cross cousins they do not eat all the time like mad things so the weight thing isn't an issue. They are hilarious to have, so round and heavy, with feet set wide apart, when they run it's like seeing a shotput run. :keke: Needless to say they cannot fly at all. Very sweet, comical, they like people, somewhat talkative, one of the breeds I'd always like to have in my flock.

Would they be Dark Indian Cornish Rocks or just Dark Indian Cornish? I thought Rock came from the Plymouth Rock part of the cross and wasn't in the original name. I'm not familiar with this breed, so I might be totally wrong.

Gorgeous birds. I love the lacing.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Bonster posted:

Would they be Dark Indian Cornish Rocks or just Dark Indian Cornish? I thought Rock came from the Plymouth Rock part of the cross and wasn't in the original name. I'm not familiar with this breed, so I might be totally wrong.

Gorgeous birds. I love the lacing.

Yeah, you're right, I was tired from the trip and my brain was like outmeal when I wrote that.

But it's still fun to think of them as rocks. Round, heavy, gravely-voiced, feathered rocks. :keke:

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Ceridwen posted:

We got our last first egg today! Beatrice took her sweet time but she finally gave us a cute little blue-green egg early this afternoon.

Yay, egg!! :neckbeard:
I can't wait to get my first egg, it will be so exciting :)

Also, I had to look up a video of the 'egg song' because I had never heard it before and was curious. IT IS SO ADORABLE.
http://youtu.be/Hx_Hdpg1M8g
I've listened to it like 10 times over the last few days, haha.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Greycious posted:

Also, I had to look up a video of the 'egg song' because I had never heard it before and was curious. IT IS SO ADORABLE.

This is the noise that you hear near-constantly in the chicken yard at my dad's farm, except it's less likely to be someone laying and more likely to be someone else excited at the prospect of someone laying. :downs:

The Polish Crested, Marilyn, doesn't lay herself anymore (she's 10) but refuses to allow that to stop her from singing at the top of her lungs whenever someone else lays one. 'I'M HELPING!'

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Captain Foxy posted:

This is the noise that you hear near-constantly in the chicken yard at my dad's farm, except it's less likely to be someone laying and more likely to be someone else excited at the prospect of someone laying. :downs:

The Polish Crested, Marilyn, doesn't lay herself anymore (she's 10) but refuses to allow that to stop her from singing at the top of her lungs whenever someone else lays one. 'I'M HELPING!'

Oh gawd this. Turkey and Dust can go on for hours, even when nobody is laying. Dumb hens just keep "singing" and make us keep going out and check for eggs.

Captain Foxy, when are you gonna get chickens to keep Keeper company? He needs a broody brahma or giant cochin to sit on him!

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Chido posted:

Oh gawd this. Turkey and Dust can go on for hours, even when nobody is laying. Dumb hens just keep "singing" and make us keep going out and check for eggs.

My hens are all incredibly quiet when they lay and for a while afterwards. The only time they ever sing is when someone else is laying. And the one who sings the most is Beatrice, even though she was way far behind on actually laying eggs. She started singing the egg song over a month before she laid an egg!

I got to see Lucille and Maeby lay their eggs this morning. First time I've ever seen it and I happened to catch both of them in the act. I also got bitched at for taking an egg for the first time ever (by Lucille).

How many eggs in a row do your chickens usually lay? Maeby has laid eggs for 17 days in a row as of today and Lucille isn't far behind. Chloe-belle is more of a 2 out of every 3 days chicken so far. I guess I expected them all to be more like Chloe-belle.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Greycious posted:

Oh my god, that's adorable. :3:

Plus they really go 'bawk bawk ba-KAWWWWW' :kimchi:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I'm not sure which egs my hens lay since they are all the same shade of brown. Only Megatron lays a cramy colored shell and Flake lays white ones. I get about 3-4 eggs a day, though.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Chido posted:

It's even more annoying when it's 6am, you've been woken up by overenthusiastic bantam roosters, and all you want is scrambled eggs, and there's no eggs in the boxes but they just keep luring you in there, singing like retarded sirens.

quote:

Captain Foxy, when are you gonna get chickens to keep Keeper company? He needs a broody brahma or giant cochin to sit on him!

I can't have them or I would! I live vicariously through my friend's and my dad's chickens. Someday the plan is to move to a house, and Portland is very chicken-friendly town so I'll have them eventually.

Cochins would be my pick, and Sebrights.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Could be worse. You COULD be the proud owner of Peaches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQnvDw-0uxM

I love this video, never fails to make me laugh like an idiot.

The codfish lays a thousand eggs,
The hen lays only one
But the codfish? never cackles
To tell us when she's done
And so we scorn the codfish
While the humble hen we prize
Which only goes to show you
That it pays to advertise!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 13, 2012

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Could be worse. You COULD be the proud owner of Peaches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQnvDw-0uxM

I love this video, never fails to make me laugh like an idiot.

The codfish lays a thousand eggs,
The hen lays only one
But the codfish? never cackles
To tell us when she's done
And so we scorn the codfish
While the humble hen we prize
Which only goes to show you
That it pays to advertise!

OMG it Peaches sounds like an airstrike siren LOL

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Lmao peaches. She's so drat cute. It's a good thing she is!

"Are you done now? RRRRccwwwaaaaawwwrrr!" (I have now idea how to type that sound!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

I just love the EGG SONGS. I think that is one of the best reasons for having hens. Peaches is adorable. I think I might want a couple of those Faverolles. heee heee heee