Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
May have been asked before, but is there a really smooth app that'll merge folder contents and discard duplicates of files? Bonus if it can search my hard drive for duplicate files based on file name and file size without having to first merge two folders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I've only ever used Daisy Disk to identify space vampires, but I just don't trust something to identify dupes and nuke them. What if it got it wrong :ohdear:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

How much of the new features in 10.8 will not be applicable to me since I have a somewhat older MBP (first unibody, Fall 2008)? I do have an iPhone as well but really don't care about syncing, and I don't use Safari. I'm trying to decide whether it'd be worth the $20 for me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

actionjackson posted:

How much of the new features in 10.8 will not be applicable to me since I have a somewhat older MBP (first unibody, Fall 2008)? I do have an iPhone as well but really don't care about syncing, and I don't use Safari. I'm trying to decide whether it'd be worth the $20 for me.

There's a list of features that require certain hardware at the bottom of this page:

http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks. Does the Notification Center work pretty well? Would be an easier alternative to having to check FB and Twitter individually.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Thanks. Does the Notification Center work pretty well? Would be an easier alternative to having to check FB and Twitter individually.

Well Facebook notifications are "coming this fall". So there's that.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a cross-platform peer-to-peer folder syncing app? I've been using Windows Live SyncMesh for ages, but at some point after updating to Lion it died on me. Doesn't seem to actually sync folders, or if I wipe every trace of it and start from scratch setting it up again it will work for a few minutes and then stop. I was hoping Mountain Lion would somehow magically make it work, or prompt an update, but it doesn't look like it.

So, if anyone had any other options that might work, it would be much appreciated. I like to keep my documents synced across computers, along with a family photo album.

As mentioned DropBox is great. Spider Sync is OK, but a real pain the rear end to setup.

SugarSync, on the other hand, is a steaming pile of poo.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

actionjackson posted:

There's not a lot that hooks into Notification Centre yet. But in theory yes, I'm looking forward to more widespread adoption by everything that currently uses Growl, frankly.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

TACD posted:

There's not a lot that hooks into Notification Centre yet. But in theory yes, I'm looking forward to more widespread adoption by everything that currently uses Growl, frankly.

Hiss places Growl notifications into the Notification Center.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hope this is the right thread, I bought a retro-link SNES-styled usb controller and I haven't used it in a while. Plugged it in today and it didn't work, even after a reboot. Isn't this supposed to be plug-and-play?

I have gamepad companion but it's expired. Could that be what's stopping it from working? Any freeware suggestions for controller apps? I'm away from my mac right now, otherwise I'd have already tried uninstalling gamepad companion.

Running 10.6.8

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The Retrolink controllers are plug and play, so it should be configurable from emulators etc via the joystick/keypad configuration menu. If not, you could try updating or requesting a refund/exchange before it gets too late.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
YouTube5 for Safari is officially broken. I can't watch a single YouTube video with it anymore without clicking on "use original player," and Vimeo videos were broken for the longest time already. It seems like the developer has also quit the project and isn't/hasn't opened up the source for other people to continue.

RIP YouTube 5

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Boris Galerkin posted:

YouTube5 for Safari is officially broken. I can't watch a single YouTube video with it anymore without clicking on "use original player," and Vimeo videos were broken for the longest time already. It seems like the developer has also quit the project and isn't/hasn't opened up the source for other people to continue.

RIP YouTube 5

Try FlashtoHTML5

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

noirstronaut posted:

The Retrolink controllers are plug and play, so it should be configurable from emulators etc via the joystick/keypad configuration menu. If not, you could try updating or requesting a refund/exchange before it gets too late.

Actually, deleting the 'Gamepad Companion' preference pain (I just did a spotlight search for 'Gamepad' and it came up) allowed OS X to see it natively. Would've been too late and too much effort for a refund, as the controller, as nice as it is, was only $20.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

My new macbook air came with OSX Lion 10.7
I was thinking of upgrading to Mountain Lion, but I see it has horrible reviews, and everyone is saying that their battery life is 30% lower after upgrading.

Should I stay away from Mountain Lion until these issues are addressed?

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

ChocNitty posted:

I was thinking of upgrading to Mountain Lion, but I see it has horrible reviews, and everyone is saying that their battery life is 30% lower after upgrading.

I have a MBA and battery life is abysmal since my upgrade to ML. There is nothing compelling enough in the upgrade to offset the battery issue.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

But you should submit your Up-To-Date request now so you can install it when ML is better for you.

A PC Game
May 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

RIP YouTube 5

Still works for me on Mountain Lion.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

TACD posted:

Hiss works, but all supported applications come up as 'Hiss' in the notification center, which is terrible. The new Growl developer API is supposed to replace 'Mist' with just a notification center plugin if the app wants it, which makes it just a way of abstracting Notification Center support, probably useless, except for helping Growl sell their for-pay product of course.

Notification Center is better anyway, unless you really care about forwarding (maybe useful to like ten people) or custom skins (barf).

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

kapalama posted:

As mentioned DropBox is great. Spider Sync is OK, but a real pain the rear end to setup.

SugarSync, on the other hand, is a steaming pile of poo.

Really? I've always found SugarSync to work a lot better than Dropbox or the alternatives I've tried. Do you mind if I ask what happened to make you hate it so?

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Arivia posted:

But you should submit your Up-To-Date request now so you can install it when ML is better for you.

This.

You only have a few weeks to do it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

A PC Game posted:

Still works for me on Mountain Lion.

Really? Just grabbed a random link from the GBS Youtube thread: this one. The spinning circle loading thing just keeps spinning and the only thing I can click on is to use the original player and the info button in the top right. Using the original player shows the video just fine but using the youtube5 player it just doesn't load.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

You know what sucks? Notification Center's icon in the menubar doesn't tell you if you actually have notifications. So I kind of have to just stumble upon them by accident. Sometimes after waking my computer though, some Mail notifications will pop up but not always.

Didn't the early DP's of ML have a different icon that was similar to Spotlight's in that it would have a pulsing dot in the middle to alert you?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Each app's red badge is (supposed to) show number of waiting notifications - which is another issue with using Hiss, the badges don't work.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

There's a list of features that require certain hardware at the bottom of this page:

http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html
I noticed this:

"Power Nap requires a Mac notebook with built-in flash storage. May require a firmware update."

Does this mean an SSD? Does it work on MBPs with aftermarket SSDs?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Only the MBA and Retina MBP uses Power Nap

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Krakkles posted:

Does it work on MBPs with aftermarket SSDs?
No.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I'm going to do a fresh install while i upgrade to Mountain Lion. My MacBook has been slow, and I really enjoy just starting over. Everything of value is on an external drive but I am confused as what will happen with my iPhone and iPad and also my wife's which is under a different account. How do I do the fresh install while not wiping my iOS devices completely?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

HorseHeadBed posted:

Really? I've always found SugarSync to work a lot better than Dropbox or the alternatives I've tried. Do you mind if I ask what happened to make you hate it so?

If Sygar Sync is used to sync, rather than just backup one computer, then anytime there are different versions of a file, then the location named is appended to the filename.

I ended up with several thousand files named for instance, July Invoice-MyComputerName version.xls, next to the same file without the computer name attached.

Luckily I had real backups of the folder.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

hadji murad posted:

I'm going to do a fresh install while i upgrade to Mountain Lion. My MacBook has been slow, and I really enjoy just starting over. Everything of value is on an external drive but I am confused as what will happen with my iPhone and iPad and also my wife's which is under a different account. How do I do the fresh install while not wiping my iOS devices completely?

Save your iTunes folder in ~/Music (or wherever you keep it) and after you reinstall, copy it back over and point iTunes at it. I believe for this last step, hold they option key while opening iTunes and it will ask you to choose the library.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

vikingstrike posted:

Save your iTunes folder in ~/Music (or wherever you keep it) and after you reinstall, copy it back over and point iTunes at it. I believe for this last step, hold they option key while opening iTunes and it will ask you to choose the library.

Thanks, managed this.

My other concern involves my copy of Office. Will I just be able to punch in the serial and continue as normal?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

hadji murad posted:

Thanks, managed this.

My other concern involves my copy of Office. Will I just be able to punch in the serial and continue as normal?

Yep. I've never had any issues reinstalling/activating Office after a fresh OS install.

Applesmack
Jun 18, 2012
Does upgrading to mountain lion cause you to lose all the things you have saved on your hard drive? Also, is it actually worth upgrading right now? I heard the OS has issues with battery life.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Weird issue but cannot find a fix.

Ever since the Mountain Lion update on my laptop the primary display its a gray background no matter what you attempt to set it to. The extended display shows a normal background and is changeable. If I switch the primary display from the laptop LCD to the external display the gray background follows the dock.

Note this only happened on any laptop's upgraded to ML and reproducible, any tips on which plist to kill?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Applesmack posted:

Does upgrading to mountain lion cause you to lose all the things you have saved on your hard drive?
No.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Viktor posted:

Ever since the Mountain Lion update on my laptop the primary display its a gray background no matter what you attempt to set it to. The extended display shows a normal background and is changeable. If I switch the primary display from the laptop LCD to the external display the gray background follows the dock.

Note this only happened on any laptop's upgraded to ML and reproducible, any tips on which plist to kill?

Outside guess: define a second space, see if you can change the wallpaper on that space. Turn Dashboard into a space, see if that fixes it. It sounds like you got hit by Steve's last, greatest gift - gray linen - going crazy.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
At work I upgraded to Safari 6 on 10.7.4, and I can no longer change my full screen browser width by dragging the far left or right of the browser. Is there any new way of doing this, or is it just broken or omitted?

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Arivia posted:

Outside guess: define a second space, see if you can change the wallpaper on that space. Turn Dashboard into a space, see if that fixes it. It sounds like you got hit by Steve's last, greatest gift - gray linen - going crazy.

Nope didn't work the desktop was locked in the second space.

But in the end removing the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist and a reboot corrected the issue.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Macintosh posted:

Didn't the early DP's of ML have a different icon that was similar to Spotlight's in that it would have a pulsing dot in the middle to alert you?

Not pulsing, but it did "light up" (a la Twitter's menu extra) to show there were unseen notifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Viktor posted:

That happened to me in Dev Preview 4 of Mountain Lion. I was able to fix it by enabling fast user switching from Accounts in System Preferences, using the menu bar item to jump back to the login screen while the account was still logged in and then logging back into the account. It worked normally after that and hasn't broken again.