Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Right, so in the case that it's an enthusiast and they ask about the airbags, what would be preferable to them? 3rd party with a lifetime warranty, or OEM? My apologies if this seems like a dumb question; I just know that the general rule is that non-OEM parts reduce resale value, but this seems like it might be an exception.

As for replacing the air suspension with something more traditional, I've considered it, but why would someone buy an allroad from me without the air suspension, instead of just getting an A6 avant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
^^^Ignore the enthusiasts, they'll never pay you what the car is worth anyway :)

Steve French posted:

After thinking about it a bit and looking through my finances, I'm leaning towards actually just going out and getting a new TDI; given that it'll save me probably about $200/mo in fuel expenses and will (presumably) with a warranty and free scheduled maintenance only cost me the monthly payment with fewer unexpected expenses, as much as it feels like buying a new car isn't the best financial decision, it may turn out to be the case.

That said, I need to decide what to do with the allroad; in terms of selling it, would I be better off replacing the ruptured airbag with an OEM part for ~$800? Or replacing both front airbags with arnott parts with lifetime warranties for $600? I know I'd probably go for the arnott parts if I were to keep it, but I'm not sure if having non-OEM parts would reduce the value in the eye of a potential buyer?

The good thing about TDIs is that they actually tend to sell for more used than new. It's really retarded how well they hold their value. I do suggest buying the extended warranty if you can swing it just because of the issues with the hpfp. I just hit 12k today and I'm still averaging 41 mpg per tank. The only real issue with the golf TDI is the tires. They are rear end for any sort of handling.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
How reliable are the CCs overall? They seem like they'd be a good daily driver with the 2.0T motor. But I'm terrified of VW electrics.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

VERTiG0 posted:

How reliable are the CCs overall? They seem like they'd be a good daily driver with the 2.0T motor. But I'm terrified of VW electrics.

Eh, every car these days is run by computers. VW people just tend to be more vocal about their "problems" than your average Toyota or Honda driver. The only electrical issues I ever had was on my 95, and I'm pretty sure it was a bad coil.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

^^^Ignore the enthusiasts, they'll never pay you what the car is worth anyway :)

The good thing about TDIs is that they actually tend to sell for more used than new. It's really retarded how well they hold their value. I do suggest buying the extended warranty if you can swing it just because of the issues with the hpfp. I just hit 12k today and I'm still averaging 41 mpg per tank. The only real issue with the golf TDI is the tires. They are rear end for any sort of handling.

Decided to go with a sportwagen, picked one up yesterday. The dealer a mile from my houes happened to have exactly what I wanted, so I went in and offered the costco price on the spot. Went with the extended warranty, which I figured made sense since I'll hit 36k in probably a year and a half or so.

You're totally right about the used prices; just out of curiosity today I checked craigslist for local used ones; only found one selling for less than I paid (and only $500 less at that)

Amazing. Do people actually pay that?

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop
So the time has come where I need to refresh the front suspension on my GTI. IT's on 04 with about 85K miles on it. It developed a slight shimmy so I took it to get an alignment. Come to find out it had a bent passenger strut, bad strut bearings, and both lower ball joints are getting loose. For the money I thought I might as well get the complete front suspension refresh kit from ECS tuning along with the Blisten OE Touring Sport Struts. Is there any additional hardware that I might need to get to complete this or suggestions on a better route to take?

P.S. I'm located in Alaska so parts are harder to come by and shipping sucks.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Steve French posted:

Decided to go with a sportwagen, picked one up yesterday. The dealer a mile from my houes happened to have exactly what I wanted, so I went in and offered the costco price on the spot. Went with the extended warranty, which I figured made sense since I'll hit 36k in probably a year and a half or so.

You're totally right about the used prices; just out of curiosity today I checked craigslist for local used ones; only found one selling for less than I paid (and only $500 less at that)

Amazing. Do people actually pay that?

TDIs are a strange beast. I assume someone is paying the price if they are consistently listed for it. What made you go wagen over golf? I initially wanted a wagen, but just couldn't get past the lovely "leatherette". Real leather is awesome, fake leather just makes you sweat your balls off. There are some days I wish I had the extra room of the wagen, but the Golf is the newer platform vehicle compared to the wagen. Must quieter ride, tighter suspension, cloth seats.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

TDIs are a strange beast. I assume someone is paying the price if they are consistently listed for it. What made you go wagen over golf? I initially wanted a wagen, but just couldn't get past the lovely "leatherette". Real leather is awesome, fake leather just makes you sweat your balls off. There are some days I wish I had the extra room of the wagen, but the Golf is the newer platform vehicle compared to the wagen. Must quieter ride, tighter suspension, cloth seats.

Dogs, primarily. I have a husky and a shiba, and the fur they shed gets worked reallly well into cloth seats, which was a pain in the rear end when I had my (cloth) GTI. The leatherette isn't fantastic, but I'd rather have it over have to deal with getting fur out of the cloth seats in the Golf. Also, the wagon is big enough that I can go somewhere with the dogs and my girlfriend and one or two other people; the Golf isn't quite big enough to do that comfortably.

Also I liked tempest blue a lot more than graphite blue.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?
Hey guys! This week, after 9 years of driving it, I sold my 2001 Jetta TDI and bought a 2012 GTI. Holy poo poo what a difference, the car is amazing. However, I've got a question about how I should be driving it due to 9 years of driving a diesel and being new to a 6-speed manual.

With the TDI, I shifted to keep the engine close to 2000rpm (except when accelerating, obviously) to prevent lugging the engine, plus the car seemed to want to be driven at that rpm so power is always available when I stepped on it.

Obviously things are different with the GTI - gas engine, 6 gears, but still turbocharged. The manual recommends a "3rd gear at 30km/h, 4th gear at 40km/h, etc" rule of thumb, and the MFD alerts me that I can shift up depending on speed, etc. How should I be driving? Is it "bad" to stomp on it when I'm cruising around at ~1400rpm in 5th/6th gear? Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

tropical posted:

Hey guys! This week, after 9 years of driving it, I sold my 2001 Jetta TDI and bought a 2012 GTI. Holy poo poo what a difference, the car is amazing. However, I've got a question about how I should be driving it due to 9 years of driving a diesel and being new to a 6-speed manual.

With the TDI, I shifted to keep the engine close to 2000rpm (except when accelerating, obviously) to prevent lugging the engine, plus the car seemed to want to be driven at that rpm so power is always available when I stepped on it.

Obviously things are different with the GTI - gas engine, 6 gears, but still turbocharged. The manual recommends a "3rd gear at 30km/h, 4th gear at 40km/h, etc" rule of thumb, and the MFD alerts me that I can shift up depending on speed, etc. How should I be driving? Is it "bad" to stomp on it when I'm cruising around at ~1400rpm in 5th/6th gear? Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated!

If it's brand new, you want to be gentle with it until it's warm, then pretty much beat on it constantly for the first 5000 or so. The 2.0t is a much higher revving engine than the TDI, it tends to start pulling around 2800 and will pull all the way to 6500. 3k is usually the sweet spot. 2500 if you are just cruising and want to stay out of the boost for mileage.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?

veedubfreak posted:

If it's brand new, you want to be gentle with it until it's warm, then pretty much beat on it constantly for the first 5000 or so. The 2.0t is a much higher revving engine than the TDI, it tends to start pulling around 2800 and will pull all the way to 6500. 3k is usually the sweet spot. 2500 if you are just cruising and want to stay out of the boost for mileage.

Cool, thanks. I'm all paranoid about mileage since I know the GTI won't be as good as the diesel so I've been watching the consumption MFD display as I drive... I have to stop doing that since I keep scaring the crap out of myself when I step on it and see it shoot up to 30L/100km :D It's impressive to see it drop down to 6L/100km or so around town when I'm just cruising along in 5th/6th though. I'm assuming mileage will improve as the car breaks itself in?

It is brand new - it had 133km on it when I picked it up. It's an awesome car, definitely a huge step up from the Jetta in just about every aspect. I wanted a sunroof and since there were such good deals to be had for the 2012 models I had to choose from what was on the lot and ended up getting a car with the luxury leather package to get the sunroof. Not complaining, the seats are amazing.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The older TDIs had no power, they were what, 115hp and 180tq? The new TDI is awesome, 140hp/240tq and still gets 40+ mpg. I filled up yesterday and got 42mpg out of the last tank :)

Not sure how much the mileage changes on the 2.0t as they break in, but the TDI supposedly takes 10-20k before it is fully broken in.

I used to regularly get 29mpg tank average out of my 1.8t as long as I didn't beat on it too hard.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

tropical posted:

The 2.0T starts peak torque at 1800 RPM and realistically you can upshift so that you land at around 1600 RPM in the next gear, if you really want to be a miser. I think the MFD's recommendations for upshifting are way too conservative and absurdly low. I tend to shift around 2500 RPM when not flogging it, though the 1-2 shift is a lot smoother if you wind the engine out to about 3500 RPM. 1st gear is way too short in my opinion and feels almost like a crawler gear.

As for mileage, I don't recall mine changing much before and after break-in. If you're gentle on the highways, you can generally stay below 7.0L/100km while doing 75 MPH/120 kph. The one time I blew a tire and had to drive 100 miles on the NJTP on the donut while staying below 55 mph, I did about 5.5L/100km that whole trip, so the moral of the story is drive slow. :v:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I feel as if the mk6 GTI should have a taller 6th gear. It's not as smooth cruising at highway speed as I think it could be.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

veedubfreak posted:

The older TDIs had no power, they were what, 115hp and 180tq? The new TDI is awesome, 140hp/240tq and still gets 40+ mpg. I filled up yesterday and got 42mpg out of the last tank :)

Not sure how much the mileage changes on the 2.0t as they break in, but the TDI supposedly takes 10-20k before it is fully broken in.

I used to regularly get 29mpg tank average out of my 1.8t as long as I didn't beat on it too hard.

try 90hp and 150lb/ft, ala my 2001 Golf TDI, had that thing chipped pretty early.

My 1.8t A4 quattro would get around 32mpg highway which was quite nice.

Never got fantastic mileage in my 2.0t GTI because it was hard to not drive it hard.

I had a habit, good or bad, of always hanging around 3k while cruising, that way it was always nice and responsive if I had to accelerate.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

shyguy posted:

I feel as if the mk6 GTI should have a taller 6th gear. It's not as smooth cruising at highway speed as I think it could be.

I also agree with that. 6th gear feels almost vestigial on this transmission. It's really not necessary for this engine to have to turn at 3000 RPM to do 80 MPH.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I feel like I'm missing out on the MPG for the TDI - I'm getting around 37-38mpg a tank, and thats with the manual. I do drive like it's stolen and have the AC on, but I feel like people are pulling down 45mpg easily.

TorpedoBeetle
Jan 23, 2004
Goon Justice
420-everyday

FUCK TELLTALE
GAMES

Bovril Delight posted:

I feel like I'm missing out on the MPG for the TDI - I'm getting around 37-38mpg a tank, and thats with the manual. I do drive like it's stolen and have the AC on, but I feel like people are pulling down 45mpg easily.

I just got a 2012 Passat TDI manual, and driving around light city/country back roads for my daily commute I've managed to get around 40 MPG a tank. This last weekend, I drove from Ann Arbor to Chicago and back, and averaged 47 MPG (trip computer claimed 52.5). I'm not into hypermiling, and I try not to baby it too much, but I try to coast often, and I stick around the speed limit unless I have to pass someone. Though it is a lot of fun to hammer the accelerator and feel that turbo kick in.

I gotta say, the car is a lot of fun to drive; my previous (and first) car was a 2006 Civic sedan, and the Passat is just so insanely superior to it in every way, I've really fallen in love with it. It has about the same horsepower as my old Civic (at least when it was new), but holy poo poo the torque! I'll never get sick of blasting past people in vastly more-expensive cars. Yeah, you just got smoked by a diesel :smug:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I guess it doesn't help that the toll road here is 80mph which means set the cruise to 90mph.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I just found out my '03 Accord Coupe V6 Auto's transmission is dead, at about 92k miles. I'm not too keen on the $4700 to fix the tranny option, so instead I'm eyeing a 2012 MKVI GTI. Is $23,500 a decent asking price (From a dealer) with 6,500 miles? From looking online it's cheaper than all other options around town, and has the lowest miles.

Also, stupid question: is there any difference between the 2d vs 4d? Personally I like the way the 4d looks, but I have no idea if they are different in any other way.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

I just found out my '03 Accord Coupe V6 Auto's transmission is dead, at about 92k miles. I'm not too keen on the $4700 to fix the tranny option, so instead I'm eyeing a 2012 MKVI GTI. Is $23,500 a decent asking price (From a dealer) with 6,500 miles? From looking online it's cheaper than all other options around town, and has the lowest miles.

Also, stupid question: is there any difference between the 2d vs 4d? Personally I like the way the 4d looks, but I have no idea if they are different in any other way.

What package? There can be a pretty big price difference between base and Autobahn.

The 4-door supposedly has a stiffer chassis, and if you have a girlfriend/fiance/wife like mine she will be much less pissed off having four doors (that didn't stop me from getting a two-door though).

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

smax posted:

What package? There can be a pretty big price difference between base and Autobahn.

The 4-door supposedly has a stiffer chassis, and if you have a girlfriend/fiance/wife like mine she will be much less pissed off having four doors (that didn't stop me from getting a two-door though).

"2012 Volkswagen GTI 4dr HB Man PZEV" is how it is listed. It has everything but the full nav system. Edit- and no moonroof, gently caress!. The only thing I'm not in love with is the exterior color. Black is impossible to keep clean, and I live in Seattle...I would love the darker grey color, but alas you can't get everything you want in a used car sometimes.

I actually prefer the way the 4-door looks; the 2-door's seem to have too much empty space between the door and the rear wheel, if that makes any sense.

What's the best way to sell a car with a broken tranny; get the KBB and subtract the $ required to fix it and throw it on Craigslist? I'm so lost :(

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 11, 2012

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

"2012 Volkswagen GTI 4dr HB Man PZEV" is how it is listed. It has everything but the full nav system. Edit- and no moonroof, gently caress!. The only thing I'm not in love with is the exterior color. Black is impossible to keep clean, and I live in Seattle...I would love the darker grey color, but alas you can't get everything you want in a used car sometimes.

That's a base GTI. New MSRP is $24,595... You could probably haggle your way down to a better price on a new car. Those 6,500 miles and just the fact that it's a used car should knock off over $1,000 from the price--I can't say that's a good deal at all. If you're looking to spend that much, buy a new one. You can also pick your color then.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
2004 mk4 TDI 5speed with 76000 kms, yes or no?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

smax posted:

That's a base GTI. New MSRP is $24,595... You could probably haggle your way down to a better price on a new car. Those 6,500 miles and just the fact that it's a used car should knock off over $1,000 from the price--I can't say that's a good deal at all. If you're looking to spend that much, buy a new one. You can also pick your color then.

Based on my recent experiences buying a new Jetta, I'd guess the costco price for a base GTI would be around $23,500, maybe a few hundred more.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Thanks for the feedback. After further research (read: staring intently at online ads and fantasizing) I might actually prefer the 2-door, but I'll have to drive both to be sure. I'm gonna check out a a 2010 2dr Autobahn today, but it has 40k miles. I really want that leather, but is it worth an extra 25k miles over all the other cars?

Also, who the gently caress is ordering thousands of automatic GTI's? That's all the used market is full of...

Edit: As far as new GTI's go, they start at 23k, but by the time I add a few accessories to get it close to a used GTI load-out it's upwards of 27k, but then like smax said, you can actually haggle on a new car's price, although I've never done that before. Oh decisions, decisions...

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 12, 2012

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

Nuts and Gum posted:

Thanks for the feedback. After further research (read: staring intently at online ads and fantasizing) I might actually prefer the 2-door, but I'll have to drive both to be sure. I'm gonna check out a a 2010 2dr Autobahn today, but it has 40k miles. I really want that leather, but is it worth an extra 25k miles over all the other cars?

Also, who the gently caress is ordering thousands of automatic GTI's? That's all the used market is full of...

Edit: As far as new GTI's go, they start at 23k, but by the time I add a few accessories to get it close to a used GTI load-out it's upwards of 27k, but then like smax said, you can actually haggle on a new car's price, although I've never done that before. Oh decisions, decisions...
The GTI auto is actually a dual clutch that doesn't suck. Super expensive to maintain, but pretty fun.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?
I went with the 4-door with my 2012 GTI. I wanted the practicality and I actually do think the car looks better with 4 doors. To each his own though ;) The leather sport seats are amazing and I've gotten compliments on them from just about everybody. I didn't get a chance to check out the plaid cloth seats before I bought mine since I kinda wanted leather anyway and it just worked out.

Just got back from a weekend road trip around Nova Scotia and goddamn this car drives so nice on the highway. Agreed that 1st gear is a bit jerky if you're shifting < 3000rpm and yeah I kinda wish 6th was taller too, but oh well, right?

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
I've heard the DSG/Manual was split 50/50 with buyers. I think the DSG service is ~$400 every 35K miles if I'm not mistaken.

I'm very happy with the plaid cloth in my 2011. I went with a 2 door since I rarely have rear seat passengers, but its really easy to climb back there. I prefer the look as well, but thats just me.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

SwashedBuckles posted:

The GTI auto is actually a dual clutch that doesn't suck. Super expensive to maintain, but pretty fun.

The DSG service is 35k or 45k depending on year (I don't know why the diff) and it cost me about 250 bucks at the dealer. I guess at some point you have to do the clutches too. Driving-wise the DSG kicks a lot of rear end when paired with the 2.0 turbo (which has its own issues).

When I was looking a couple years back I think the insurance co said rates were higher for 2-doors than for 4-doors, but I don't know if that's still true or if my memory just made it up anyway

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This is made up because it's doubtful any insurance company has loss history on 2dr vs. 4dr. Just like a red car costs more to insure than a black car! :haw:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I wish I got this mileage at all times, not just highway :( Now that I'm back in town, I'll be lucky to get a total of 350 miles or so from this tank.

2006 A4

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

movax posted:

I wish I got this mileage at all times, not just highway :( Now that I'm back in town, I'll be lucky to get a total of 350 miles or so from this tank.

2006 A4
Man you only get 350 a tank? You have a manual?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

real_scud posted:

Man you only get 350 a tank? You have a manual?

Nope, 6-speed auto. My daily commute to work is like 3 miles each way, with 4 or 5 lights. I really only get to stretch it on the highway on the weekends/longer trips, and the mileage climbs hilariously fast. I chalked it up to the turbo and acceleration just destroying mpg.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

movax posted:

Nope, 6-speed auto. My daily commute to work is like 3 miles each way, with 4 or 5 lights. I really only get to stretch it on the highway on the weekends/longer trips, and the mileage climbs hilariously fast. I chalked it up to the turbo and acceleration just destroying mpg.
Ahh, I have the 7-speed CVT and my commute is only like 10 miles, but it's mostly on a highway I can regularly average 60 or so on, which explains how I get closer to 400 on most tanks.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
So I'm a retard and bought the first car I test drove. I know, I'm smarter than that. What is it about spending a ton of money that let's you ignore all common sense?

I ended up with a Charcoal 2 door 2010 with all the trimmings. I have a huge touchscreen radio, but I don't think it's nav...? In any case, the leather was so worth it :swoon: This thing is WAY faster than I had imagined. It's a manual, which I might regret with Seattle traffic.

The best part is that when I finally got in the car to drive home, I noticed an indicator light on the dash, something about liquid. Like a moron, I drove off, rationalizing that I have to go back tomorrow to drop off the down payment, so I'll ask about it then. After stopping for dinner on the way home I noticed some liquid leaking onto the road, and it looked too yellowish/green to be water. Anyone know what it might be?

I know, I should have walked back in and said what the gently caress. If they refuse to look at it for me I dunno, man...:smithicide:

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?
I've realized I've been doing the engine break-in period a bit wrong, I gotta get off the gas pedal a bit I think ;) Oh well, seeing redline a handful of times in 2nd and 3rd gear probably won't really cause too many problems. I also used cruise control for ~30km on the weekend.

Question about first oil change - the guy at the VW dealership said don't come in for an oil change the first scheduled maintenance at 15k km - really??

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

tropical posted:

Question about first oil change - the guy at the VW dealership said don't come in for an oil change the first scheduled maintenance at 15k km - really??
Yeah, I think it has something to do with that it's synthetic and there's some additive in it that's supposed to be in there through that time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

So I'm a retard and bought the first car I test drove.
I have to go back tomorrow to drop off the down payment,
Anyone know what it might be?

Your ticket out of the potential mess you just got yourself into.

Return the car and keep looking. Tell them you're possibly still interested in that one if it is made to be in good repair.

Jumping on the first car you find is a recipe for 1.) regret for not looking harder (dammit, I bet I could have found one with x,y or z option for the same price) and 2.) getting screwed on the deal because you don't know the market well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Look around the TDI forums, there is a guy there who can pretty much order any VW you want for at or less than invoice. You may have to drive/fly out to get it, but you'll get exactly what you want for the right price.