Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Running out of ethers is not an issue in FF9, so long as you're stealing from every enemy (which you should be). I was chewing them down like candy and still seldom had fewer than 80-90 of the things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Bongo Bill posted:

Freelancer can wear any equipment and can equip two abilities. They automatically benefit from all passive abilities from all the jobs that class has mastered, except the ones that have a downside like Berserk, and as a result, they also have the stat boosts from all mastered jobs.

I think that it also only applies to ones that a class has by default, with the sole exceptions of Berserk and Undead. A Freelancer won't have innate Two-Handed just from mastering Knight, for example.

E;

And, hell, speaking of V, I recently learned that (realistically) there is one boss fight a team of 4 Berserkers cannot defeat*. That one? Neo Exdeath. It's possible, I guess, just with a billion caveats and won't really ever happen without being stupidly lucky.

You might be wondering about Omniscient, then.

He's doable with an Air Knife and two Mage Mashers. The only issue is that sometimes you need to restart the fight manually since there's a set number of fights you can get when you start that's chosen from whenever he uses Reset (in this case). If one of them doesn't end with you winning, you'll be running it ad infinitum with no progress ever being made.

*This was brought up in the thread before and I've been working on it, sorta, since before even then. 4 Berserkers is not the most fun I've had with this game, let's put it that way. :v:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 13, 2012

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ugato posted:

It's even more fun having the game taunt you with it. Playing the PSX version, on my last playthrough I changed Ramza to a different class (ninja maybe?) to try to get my way through that fight as smoothly as possible. What's the first thing one of the ninjas do? Target him with Ultima. :argh: As some sort of strange gently caress you to Elmdor, they finished the fight by putting him to critical with that Ultima.

Ramza can't get it in the first fight with Elmdor if it makes you feel better. Only the FFTA guy you get in WotL can get it then. Ramza can learn it in the last chapter (but it's nice giving it to him immediately via your party member).

Ultima in that fight was less of a bitch than trying to steal. After resetting 5 times I finally thought "hey my thief with concentration still has a 00% steal rate from behind... I wonder if they changed his skills in WOTL."

Fucker has maintenance in both fights, so you have you get his katanas and the Genji gear elsewhere. By the time you get it in the iOS version you've probably beaten the game, which apparently dumps all of the WotL-added super powerful-as-gently caress stuff in to shops anyways, making Genji Gear useless. :argh:

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

And, hell, speaking of V, I recently learned that (realistically) there is one boss fight a team of 4 Berserkers cannot defeat*. That one? Neo Exdeath. It's possible, I guess, just with a billion caveats and won't really ever happen without being stupidly lucky.

hell, I can believe it. I barely managed three Berserkers at normal endgame levels with Knight abilities and a evade tanking Phoenix Down monkey. I can't imagine how painful four would be. More importantly, why would you? I mean, it's not like FFVI where you can set Gau to a Rage and have actual input on how the rest of the fight goes, especially with FFVI's larger diversity of equipment. There's no such recourse in FFV to make 4xBerserker anything but "pray harder".

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

drat you guys know your FF9. I remember the game switches your party a bunch of times anyway but I'm definitely gonna try to settle on Eiko and Freya at least.

It pretty much forces you to evenly level all available characters.

I remember i failed to do so on my first FF VIII playthrough. Boy did I learn my lesson about multiple save files after saving the game just before the Adel/Rinoa boss fight, with a totally neglected and underleveled Rinoa. She'd die within a few turns, and from memory I had no way of going back to the overworld to level up more.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Cyberbob posted:

I remember i failed to do so on my first FF VIII playthrough. Boy did I learn my lesson about multiple save files after saving the game just before the Adel/Rinoa boss fight, with a totally neglected and underleveled Rinoa. She'd die within a few turns, and from memory I had no way of going back to the overworld to level up more.

Her level is based off of your party's average, not her own.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cyberbob posted:

You actually never have to use Amarant except for Ipsen's Castle, Oeilvert/Desert Palace and Amudias, so he's the most expendable member of the party.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ApplesandOranges posted:

You actually never have to use Amarant except for Ipsen's Castle, Oeilvert/Desert Palace and Amudias, so he's the most expendable member of the party.

He also comes kinda late in the game so by then most people made up their mind about who they like and dont use him.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

He also comes kinda late in the game so by then most people made up their mind about who they like and dont use him.
I had made up my mind about liking the big hulking powerhouse Amarant, and was waiting for him to join! He was really underwhelming, but I still used him through to the end.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Finished FF5, making it the first pre-PSX FF game I've ever beaten. That was a shitload of fun, if a bit easy late-game. It probably has my favourite final dungeon in any of the games, along with some of the best bosses.

Managed to beat Omega and Shinryu pretty easily, considering - Omega took me out a couple of times and I scraped a win on my third try. Shinryu was incredibly easy after equipping Coral Rings and one Ice Shield on a Dualcasting White Mage.

I had a bit of a crack at the Sealed Temple. I'm looking forward to doing the new superbosses since the originals were a little underwhelming, but I got in there and it's a bit annoyingly complex and maze-y. Probably have a crack at it tomorrow, or use a FAQ to guide me through and then try to do the supers on my own.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Playing FFX after FF13 is kind of a mind gently caress. How much of the people who worked on X went onto 13?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The similarities between the two are pretty stark. I was surprised when 13 came out and everyone was complaining about corridors and poo poo when 10 has a very similar structure. Railroaded most of the game, then a token big open plains area, then back on the corridor train. I think people will defend 10 by saying that the story kind of explained why they were always moving forward down a path, but I don't think its a good enough excuse. 13 had a reason too (they were running away or something) but doesn't change the fact that its not very interesting design. Two of my least favorite FFs for sure.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

X is pretty linear for a while like XIII is, but I found the gameplay and character progression much more satisfying in X for some reason.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
FFVII PC has been rereleased. It's not in any way a remake, it's basically just the original PC release updated to work on modern hardware and OSes. It's :10bux: from now until Sept 12th.

NA: https://na.square-enix.com/finalfantasyvii
EU: https://store.eu.square-enix.com/emea_europe/pc-windows-download/FINAL-FANTASY-VII.php

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Winks posted:

FFVII PC has been rereleased. It's not in any way a remake, it's basically just the original PC release updated to work on modern hardware and OSes. It's :10bux: from now until Sept 12th.

EU: https://store.eu.square-enix.com/emea_europe/pc-windows-download/FINAL-FANTASY-VII.php

Any word on the translation?

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Any word on the translation?

Checksum of the files is the same, so I assume that it's the same as the original PC release.

I would try to see if I could swap this typo fixing version of it into the game and see if it works, but their downloader is broken despite it working when they accidentally released it a bit ago :saddowns:

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

This Is My Story, Bitches

voltron lion force posted:

The similarities between the two are pretty stark. I was surprised when 13 came out and everyone was complaining about corridors and poo poo when 10 has a very similar structure. Railroaded most of the game, then a token big open plains area, then back on the corridor train. I think people will defend 10 by saying that the story kind of explained why they were always moving forward down a path, but I don't think its a good enough excuse. 13 had a reason too (they were running away or something) but doesn't change the fact that its not very interesting design. Two of my least favorite FFs for sure.

I can see not liking it.

personally, I think X is great, one of the best in the series actually. I recall reading it was the most popular of the series in a Famitsu survey (not that such matters, just indicating I'm not alone in enjoying it). I think XIII's poo poo on too much, but my main issue with it was that it takes so loving long to get things going. I shouldn't have first access to all party members 25 hours into the story.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Winks posted:

So have we found anything really terrible like Ubi-style DRM, or is it just the original cleaned up a tiny bit? If there's nothing appalling about it, I'll probably pick it up. Worst case scenario, it can just be modded and fixed up a bit.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Artix74 posted:

So have we found anything really terrible like Ubi-style DRM, or is it just the original cleaned up a tiny bit? If there's nothing appalling about it, I'll probably pick it up. Worst case scenario, it can just be modded and fixed up a bit.
I think when it briefly appeared on Square Enix's website a couple weeks back that it was found to have Securom.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ugh, I was really hoping the achievements would be more imaginative. FF games are great for varied playstyles, it'd have been fun to see something that made you play around with the battle system or suggested a new approach to something.

Instead, you get achievements for winning your first battle, beating the three acts of the game, getting a character to level 99, getting 99,999,999 gil, getting Knights Of The Round, getting Bahamut Zero, getting each final Limit Break, beating each Weapon, getting Vincent and Yuffie, mastering a Materia, mastering EVERY Materia, using each character's first Limit Break, getting a Gold Chocobo, and using the Battle Square.

Doesn't even support all the inputs on the 360 pad.

Edit: Got some pretty weird sound skippping in the opening cutscene. My joypad, which seemed to at least configure OK apart from the shoulder buttons, plain doesn't do anything in-game.

Leovinus fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 14, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Hey, I got this and it gets stuck at the "part 2 of 3" (370.71mb) of the downloader and won't pull down any more data from the server. What's going on? I've tried everything that usually resumes any other crashed downloads I might have. Do I have to set up the proxy settings or is the download server just being a piece of poo poo?

gently caress, I shoulda listened to myself and never given SE another red cent even for this.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The email I got from them mentions a 14-day cooling-off period in which you can get your money back. I'll give this a bit of a shot but so far I'm pretty amazed that they felt this update was of sufficient quality to, you know, ask money for.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh, okay, I am connecting to their server. It's just that it happens for about two or three seconds out of a minute and I only manage to pull down about 0.3KB/s. What the fuuuuuuuuck? It was going perfectly fine at my normal ~700KB/s rate for the first file and now it's like NOPE.

Edit: And when I delete the Part 1 file, it downloads at normal speeds again! What is even wrong with this?

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 14, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm glad I bought the PC version off a friend years ago, since it sounds like this is the exact same version but with some low-effort achievements and no CDs. The PC version, though, I can mod to hell and back with CD-quality music and high resolution graphics.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Unless the launcher is checking the files, it doesn't look like it'll be difficult to mod this one the same way. The music is the original .MIDI converted to plain .ogg files so it should be pretty easily replaced.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

There is an existing mod that replaces the midi files in the original game with oggs from the soundtrack. All you have to do is copy over those oggs over the new one without bothering with the actual 'mod' part and you're good to go. Their default ogg files aren't bad though.

The White Dragon posted:

Oh, okay, I am connecting to their server. It's just that it happens for about two or three seconds out of a minute and I only manage to pull down about 0.3KB/s. What the fuuuuuuuuck? It was going perfectly fine at my normal ~700KB/s rate for the first file and now it's like NOPE.

Edit: And when I delete the Part 1 file, it downloads at normal speeds again! What is even wrong with this?

I contacted Square over this, it's their vendor's fault (Digital River) and it has to do with traffic load. It's stupid, but the only work around is to wait until it times out and auto-pauses the downloader then keep smashing 'resume' every time it auto-pauses until it works.

Winks fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 14, 2012

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The White Dragon posted:

The hilariously terrible way in which subscribing, unsubscribing, and patching FF11 has always been handled in terms of complexity makes me hellof wary about downloading anything from SE. If this was on Steam I might have already bought it.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Can anyone take any screens? Is it the same exact loving poo poo at FF7 PC?

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

This should not be a goddamned thing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LoudLoudNoise posted:

A game that came out during a time when a lot of people still didn't even have dial up internet; now it needs an internet connection just to play it.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Himuro posted:

Can anyone take any screens? Is it the same exact loving poo poo at FF7 PC?

I tried to take some and it just screenshots a black window.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
It's funny that despite all the things said in this thread, I still probably would've broken down and bought this at some point. It's just the sort of thing I do.

LoudLoudNoise posted:

This kills any desire to ever buy the game. That trend needs to be killed with fire right now.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ugato posted:

This kills any desire to ever buy the game. That trend needs to be killed with fire right now.

Listen, they've gotta protect their intellectual property somehow. Sooner or later somebody's going to succeed in pirating this 15 year old game!

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Here we go.

It's upscaled FFVII, nothing you didn't expect. I mean, technically it's the most full-featured, prettiest version of the game available, but not by much and with caveats.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Whoa that image size isn't doing the look of the prerendered backgrounds any favours. :stare: Battle looks pretty great but this is why I said the PSP was a great system for this game nowadays. Beat it the other day, by the way, first time in decades, and sequels and setting expansions be damned, this game owns.

(Leovinus I'm glad to see people with good taste around this forum, which your avatar identifies you as.)

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh god, we wouldn't want someone to pirate our multi-million selling 15 year old game!

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
They really put draconian always-online DRM into motherfucking Final Fantasy VII...? :what:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Leovinus posted:

It's upscaled FFVII, nothing you didn't expect.

Welp, you can say that again.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

LoudLoudNoise posted:

Didn't I see this in a Photoshop Phriday at some point? This is really like a bad joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I really wish they had put effort into this. I'd have bought it just for a new localization.