Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akalies
May 31, 2000
Going through Dead Money on my level 12 energy weapons character. Lots of fun, but I forgot how brutally high some of the skill checks are. There are a lot of magazines around, but it seems like a lot of the important checks are a one-time only sort of deal. :( Can't wait to murder the poo poo out of Dean, again.

Meaty Ore posted:

Except you can't get hold of .45 ammo outside of HH, if I recall correctly. But by all means, gather lots of 12.7mm ammo.

You're absolutely right about the .45 ammo. It does appear in the Mojave after you finish HH. Sorry about that. 12.7mm is essential however.

Inudeku posted:

What do you guys think about taking the Explorer perk right at level 20 on a first ever playthru?

I'd avoid it personally, but I enjoy wandering aimlessly and just finding cool poo poo. The one time I took it (early 40s I believe,) I noticed just how much I'd missed. It felt like I was cheating myself out of discovering those locations, and I ended up reloading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggsOfSpades
Sep 5, 2011
Since I'm playing through all the mods and DLC I can find, I've decided this will be the playthrough that I do as much digging into the world as I could.

Then I got to Vault 11. Jesus Christ. It wasn't a marked quest so I never investigated the backstory before, but good lord.

Walking down that hall I had chills and when I heard the automated response I just wanted to curl up in a ball. gently caress Vault-tec. gently caress everything.

I left and killed every Fiend in Vault 3 just to feel something again.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
is there a way to shut up this stealth suit, jesus christ

edit: I made it out of Old World Blues with my brain and bite marks up and down my legs and I thought that was victory enough but as a bonus (!) that stealth suit seemed the promise to fix all my sneaking woes (I am not a sneaker this game)

but my god

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Kifisonfire posted:

I must be the only person who has never tried out the VATS assistants in either FO3 or NV. Maybe it's because I don't use VATS unless I absolutely have to, but I always saw it as a waste of a perk.

He never showed up once for me in Fallout 3, and I used VATS all the time (mostly since you were effectively invincible with it) so I never bothered in New Vegas.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I remember VATS being very useful in Fallout 3, simply because you were forced to hip fire all the time. Made a stealth run much more difficult than it should be.

I remember sneak actually being a good stat as well. You could get to the point where you could sneak frags onto super mutants to kill them, instead of having to blow a few clips into them, as well as a few stimpacks.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
A friend told me that you can tip brahmin. I thought he was full of poo poo, so I found a brahmin, snuck right up on it, and mashed E.

It fell over in a heap of legs and heads, and I almost fell out of my chair laughing. Even after something like 400 hours playing, New Vegas still finds new ways to amuse me. Thanks, Rope Kid and co :buddy:

3Romeo posted:

is there a way to shut up this stealth suit, jesus christ
I really wanted it to at first but it's grown on me. Now I feel kind of sad when I leave it in a closet in my pad all by itself.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I was fine with the stealth suit being ironically chatty but GODDAMMIT STOP SHOOTING ME UP WITH MED-X IT WAS JUST A SCRATCH

Doesn't the HEV suit administer morphine to Gordon Freeman sometimes?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pope Guilty posted:

I was fine with the stealth suit being ironically chatty but GODDAMMIT STOP SHOOTING ME UP WITH MED-X IT WAS JUST A SCRATCH

Doesn't the HEV suit administer morphine to Gordon Freeman sometimes?

The HEV would say it was administering morphine when you took a big hit, but it didn't have a gameplay impact.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never used Med-X until that suit started pumping it into my character.

I rather liked having to scrub my entire inventory for Honest Hearts, I never knew just how much useless junk I was dragging around until I had to really root out everything to reach the weight limit. Makes me wish that there were more weight limits in the game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Stealth Suit was absolutely perfect for Old World Blues and the Brain Trust's hosed up science for its own sake vibe. On paper the Stealth Suit is an almost gamebreaking piece of equipment - it ups your sneaking level hugely and heals you automatically when injured? Sign me up!

Then you put it on and realize it never loving shuts up and wildly over-reacts to the mildest scratch or stubbed toe with the most powerful (and rare) painkillers it can find in your inventory. If it was actually useful it would wreck gameplay and be pretty boring - instead it's a neat reminder of how out of touch with reality/the end-user all the SCIENCE! breakthroughs in The Big MT are.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 13, 2012

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
That's...pretty loving brilliant, actually. I'm gonna guess that's also why it's covered in fins and looks about as stealthy as a fish out of water?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The scientist outfits and gloves from OWB would make fantastic early game equipment.. but even compared to the armor and unarmed weapons from the dlc itself they are just vendor trash..

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I started another hardcore playthrough tonight to give jsawyer and a couple of other mods a go. I told myself I'd be a gun only judge dredd aka lethal action against the slightest of "bad" actions by anyone. I figured it would be hard to get started as I scrounge up ammo with no armor & no repair skill...

... then I remembered the beginning of Lonesome Road and how easily it breaks the early difficulty cure. I told myself I wouldn't but I can't help myself :negative:

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I started another hardcore playthrough tonight to give jsawyer and a couple of other mods a go. I told myself I'd be a gun only judge dredd aka lethal action against the slightest of "bad" actions by anyone. I figured it would be hard to get started as I scrounge up ammo with no armor & no repair skill...

... then I remembered the beginning of Lonesome Road and how easily it breaks the early difficulty cure. I told myself I wouldn't but I can't help myself :negative:

Yeah. I can't NOT run straight there at level 1 and loot the first building for the weapons/armor/ed-e upgrade...

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I got rid of all my Med-X to get Idolized by the Followers, and my only complaint with the Stealth Suit is that it is worse with Stimpaks than I am. :v:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

3Romeo posted:

I'm having a hellishly fun time with the sawyer mod. On hardcore, with the difficulty set to easy, it's exactly what I wanted out of Fallout: bullets kill the bad guys just as quick as they kill me, I have to think about every single thing I do (from perk choice to combat to weapons I want to carry), and best of all, there are things I simply can't do, because the levelling is so substantially slowed, meaning I can't just drop points into whatever I feel like. After rolling around the Mojave with the demi-god I used to be, this is absolutely perfect.

edit: In short, everything is loving desperate, and I feel like the dad in The Road.

I spent 45 minutes trying to sneak into Primm at night time without getting 'sploded. It might be IWS, but drat if there aren't a lot of gangers who've been eating their carrots there.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
The problem with the stealth suit is that it autodispenses stimpacks but your medicine skill isn't being taken into account when it does; unless you have like 0 points in medicine it's better to just assign stims to a hotkey.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Getting ammo is pretty easy once you know how. Barter is probably one of the best stats in the game for example. Pour all your points into it and you can just pick up all sorts of random crap and sell it for silly money. Then you can buy all the ammo in a shop for reduced prices. Even when you're a late-game god, it's still useful purely for how much money you can make from selling the OP guns you make, find and grow out of.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

I spent 45 minutes trying to sneak into Primm at night time without getting 'sploded. It might be IWS, but drat if there aren't a lot of gangers who've been eating their carrots there.

Yeah, IWS turns that place back into what it was like before the patches. It's great.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The most memorable character in Fallout 3 was that no-name raider with a sniper rifle that took potshots at me while I was trapped in a minefield with both my legs crippled. The second?
THREE DOOOOGGGGGG! AWOOOOOooooooooo

Also Butch.

And those little shits in Little Lamplight. :mad:

Kalos posted:

As a counterpoint, Mr New Vegas is still telling the entire Mojave about Primm's new sheriff when I did that less than an hour into the game and at this point I've completed almost every quest available to me and all the DLCs.
Agreed. I love having people singing my praises as I deal with all the messes they're too lazy/irradiated to fix. But since they only have so many canned quest lines, and especially since some of them were broken, the charm wears off when you've saved every town/camp/random stranger fifteen times over.

Skyrim is similar, but those guards with their random chatter were the only people who complimented me for being the world's biggest badass at the end of the game.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Kharmakazy posted:

Yeah, IWS turns that place back into what it was like before the patches. It's great.

I don't remember Primm having 20 poweder gangers in it when this game was first released. :v:

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Roobanguy posted:

I don't remember Primm having 20 poweder gangers in it when this game was first released. :v:

I think it was more like 10-15, but still it's a far cry from the 4 that are there post patch.

4 dudes outside are holding off the NCR camp to the extent that they put landmines on the bridge for protection.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

IWS - Increased Wasteland Spawns, right? This looks like something I really need in my game.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

IWS - Increased Wasteland Spawns, right? This looks like something I really need in my game.

Yeah. It's nice to actually see the factions run into each other and fight it out.

Oddly enough I ran into a lone white legs tribesman in the mojave... that could be from another mod though. Confused the poo poo out of me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kharmakazy posted:

Yeah. It's nice to actually see the factions run into each other and fight it out.

I think my favorite actively-interacting-AI thing to have come across in the Wasteland so far was a couple Legionaries waiting behind rocks to ambush a pair of caravans... which made short work of all the Legion soldiers. I dunno what these people are so scared of, two pansy-rear end merchants killed the poo poo out of like four or five Legion Recruits with their plinky 9mm pistols.

I'm glad they got rid of that lovely "that's mine!" AI routine from FO3 where NPCs would claim corpses they killed, because I picked those Legion bitches clean and sold it right to those two caravans.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Increased Wasteland Spawns is my favorite mod, other than maybe CASM.

One bit of weirdness I've noticed in a recent game has no cause I can discern; I've been trying to keep my NCR and Legion reps both positive, and for some reason the Legion doesn't seem to be preying on merchants. Usually the Legion will attempt to kill anybody who isn't Legion, but I've been watching Legion and merchants team up on radroaches and raiders and then carry on ignoring each other.

The White Dragon posted:

I think my favorite actively-interacting-AI thing to have come across in the Wasteland so far was a couple Legionaries waiting behind rocks to ambush a pair of caravans... which made short work of all the Legion soldiers. I dunno what these people are so scared of, two pansy-rear end merchants killed the poo poo out of like four or five Legion Recruits with their plinky 9mm pistols.

I'm glad they got rid of that lovely "that's mine!" AI routine from FO3 where NPCs would claim corpses they killed, because I picked those Legion bitches clean and sold it right to those two caravans.

You're not playing with GRA The Right to Bear Arms, are you? Because that's what happens with that mod.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Pope Guilty posted:

You're not playing with GRA The Right to Bear Arms, are you? Because that's what happens with that mod.

Nah I think he's talking about the bridge on the road between Nipton and Novac. That's a scripted encounter, happens every game. I think it starts as soon as you enter the cell (which includes wandering around that farmstead I forget the name of, the one that has The Chopper in it), so it's relatively easy to miss if you're not just walking the road.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Aw, poo poo. I thought that was like a legit thing, but finding out that it's scripted is kind of disappointing.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

The White Dragon posted:

Aw, poo poo. I thought that was like a legit thing, but finding out that it's scripted is kind of disappointing.

Yeah, sorry :-/ I'm not sure how much of it is scripted scripted, but I've even approached it while disliked by Caesar's Legion, and they won't attack me, just the caravan. Other soldiers would still shoot me, so I dunno if they have modified AI or what.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

The outcome of the fight is not scripted, just the fact that there will be a fight. I have before now had it happen that the Legion stomped the caravans into the dirt.

VVV It's all about your quickdraw man, you gotta be quick to be king of the Wastes VVV

Another Person fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 13, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The encounter is scripted to happen, but usually the Legion wipes out the merchants, at least in my experience.

e: Another Person! :argh:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Since I installed IWS a while back, every playthrough has the actors for that event present, but the Legion npc's don't actually attack the caravan; this makes sense (I guess?) because IWS flags that area as Legion territory.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Kharmakazy posted:

I think it was more like 10-15, but still it's a far cry from the 4 that are there post patch.

4 dudes outside are holding off the NCR camp to the extent that they put landmines on the bridge for protection.

It wasn't 10-15, but it was more than 4. I think the biggest change was 2 guys that hung around the empty gas station are gone now, so it was 6-8.

Also for those seeking some largely-unscripted NPC fighting you have infinite Legion patrols somewhere north of Broc Flower Cave and infinite NCR patrols from the ruins of Camp Searchlight (odd that it's actually one of the bigger NCR force concentrations in that area, at least in an unmodded game) that will sometimes run into each other in the hills and valleys south of Novac. I discovered this while farming dogtags and Legion ears to get the most badass outcome for Camp Forlorn Hope's quest.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 13, 2012

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Teen Hero Greg posted:

It wasn't 10-15, but it was more than 4. I think the biggest change was 2 guys that hung around the empty gas station are gone now, so it was 6-8.

Also for those seeking some largely-unscripted NPC fighting you have infinite Legion patrols somewhere north of Broc Flower Cave and infinite NCR patrols from the ruins of Camp Searchlight (odd that it's actually one of the bigger NCR force concentrations in that area, at least in an unmodded game) that will sometimes run into each other in the hills and valleys south of Novac. I discovered this while farming dogtags and Legion ears to get the most badass outcome for Camp Forlorn Hope's quest.

Nah, there were also more dudes closer to the bridge on the Mojave Express side too. I remember this because I used to take one of them out quickly so I could use the wrecked building as cover.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Another Person posted:

The outcome of the fight is not scripted, just the fact that there will be a fight. I have before now had it happen that the Legion stomped the caravans into the dirt.
The caravan's equipment is randomized within a modest range. Depending on what the caravan winds up with, the legionaries can either stomp the caravan or get stomped by the caravan. There's also an NCR trooper patrol on a pretty big loop that comes through the area. If that patrol's movement coincides with the caravan's, the Legion forces get annihilated in about five seconds.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Speaking of that event, I think one thing that FO3 did better than NV without debate is their random encounters. Seeing two groups of otherwise peaceful people in a standoff over a purified water supply, or a group of wastelanders ready to take on a Giant Radscorpion without the proper firepower really drove home how precious a resource water was and generally helped flesh out the world as a desperate and lovely place.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 13, 2012

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Another Person posted:

I ran ahead to kill the Legion troops waiting to ambush the caravan, which turned the traders and mercs hostile on me for some unfathomable reason :psyduck:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thompsons posted:

I ran ahead to kill the Legion troops waiting to ambush the caravan, which turned the traders and mercs hostile on me for some unfathomable reason :psyduck:

"This is it, boys. This is our ONE AND ONLY chance to be badasses and fight off the Legion ourselves. No more will one single person wander the wasteland being the hero and savior to all, this will be OUR day! OUR triumph! And.... oh gently caress here comes that rear end in a top hat Thompsons! :argh:"

Niggard of Oz
Jan 24, 2011

It's a NIGGER joke,
You Faggot's!

rossmum posted:

A friend told me that you can tip brahmin. I thought he was full of poo poo, so I found a brahmin, snuck right up on it, and mashed E.

It fell over in a heap of legs and heads, and I almost fell out of my chair laughing. Even after something like 400 hours playing, New Vegas still finds new ways to amuse me. Thanks, Rope Kid and co :buddy:

That was in F03. Atleast you could tip the Megaton Brahmin. Only one I tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
A few questions on my first playthrough.

I have just reached New Vegas and met Benny etc. I have a mission from some dude sitting on a bench to go kill a fella in the white-glove casino. The same guy has me looking for his son. I go and investigate the room, and I get jumped by two dudes with pipes. I don't have enough sneak to get weapons in and after a few times, I tried to see if I could lure them out where I could shoot them in the street. Now they just pounce on me the second I go back in and all the other people join them and everyone in the casino runs around in a panic. I guess I will just have to work on getting my sneak up until I can do those missions, which is a bit annoying as it's not a skill I am bothered with updating.

Also, I just talked to Benny's helpful robot who told me about Mr. House and all that jazz. I am going to go meet him soon - Am I already near the end of the game here? If I were to go to him would that trigger the last few bits of the game? I have a lot of missions I ignored from earlier in the game and have not really spoken to anyone from the other casinos. I suck at games that give me too much freedom, I always do things wrong.