Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I use this:

http://optechusa.com/straps/slr-wrist-strap.html

It's great because the buckle is the same kind as the sling strap I have so if I want a sling strap, all I have to do is unclick the wrist strap and clip on the sling. Mind you, it has been ages since I've used the sling as I'm finding the wrist strap more convenient for most uses. The downside of it is that it gets kind of sweaty underneath the strap after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I (almost assuredly made a mistake and) picked up the Sony DSC-RX100, then had tacos!

Reasonably impressed with things so far.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I got one too, and I'm in love. I think it may be time to change the title of this thread.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound
For me a slight downer with the RX100 is the lack of a viewfinder, but like with the price, I think the good bits outweigh those points.

A question for those who already have them, does the screen display give you a good idea how the depth of field effect is going to look on the final shot, or do you really need to see the resulting image to know if you got what you were after?

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Azzip posted:

For me a slight downer with the RX100 is the lack of a viewfinder, but like with the price, I think the good bits outweigh those points.

A question for those who already have them, does the screen display give you a good idea how the depth of field effect is going to look on the final shot, or do you really need to see the resulting image to know if you got what you were after?

It gives you a pretty drat good indication, especially if you turn on focus peaking.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Azzip posted:

Yeah, you can tell pretty well just by spinning the dial around - go down to F11 and things focus; open up to 1.8 and things blur.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Azzip posted:

Why would you use even a viewfinder for a point and shoot? Everyone uses the LCD screen for the last few generations, the viewfinders in most point and shoots are optical and don't even provide useful information aside from framing anyways.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Suicide Watch posted:

Why would you use even a viewfinder for a point and shoot? Everyone uses the LCD screen for the last few generations, the viewfinders in most point and shoots are optical and don't even provide useful information aside from framing anyways.
And barely that since I've used more than one where the framing Is just completely off.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Cool, good to hear regarding the focus thing, sounds like this might really be a good choice for me. Let's hope it won't meet a similar fate to my last two point and shoots (lost, flooded). Also hoping underwater housings not overly assrape expensive.

Yeah the viewfinder thing is just habit really, and one I don't mind breaking. Not even close to a dealbreaker on something that looks like it might suit my needs as well as this one.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Azzip posted:

Also hoping underwater housings not overly assrape expensive.

If you mean the clear plastic cases, they all are. What are you looking to do?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I'm already starting to regret returning the RX100. I should have just sucked it up and zoomed with my feet. It's really fantastic to have that feature set in something the size of a smartphone with a bulky case.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

DJExile posted:

If you mean the clear plastic cases, they all are. What are you looking to do?

I mean above the standard expensive :derp:

I'll want the camera to come scuba diving with me, so the housing needs to be rated to at least 40 metres (though all the decent photo opportunities are in the 8-30M range, it'd be nice if it didn't implode should I end up deeper). But I don't need to buy it for a few months yet, so a good chance for the accessories scene to settle and find out if a specific or generic housing will be the better bet.

Bob Socko posted:

I'm already starting to regret returning the RX100. I should have just sucked it up and zoomed with my feet. It's really fantastic to have that feature set in something the size of a smartphone with a bulky case.

Welp, returners remorse? Maybe you should just test a few others and then buy it again (though possibly from somewhere else otherwise you might end up looking a bit silly)...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Azzip posted:

I mean above the standard expensive :derp:

I'll want the camera to come scuba diving with me, so the housing needs to be rated to at least 40 metres (though all the decent photo opportunities are in the 8-30M range, it'd be nice if it didn't implode should I end up deeper). But I don't need to buy it for a few months yet, so a good chance for the accessories scene to settle and find out if a specific or generic housing will be the better bet.

I keep an eye on them for shits and giggles and honestly I don't think they've ever really dropped. I suppose it really depends on the depths like you're saying though. Obviously too you want to pay drat close attention to the quality of the seals.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Yeah they're a niche product so probably not going to see much change in prices. Main thing is it would be good to know which generic housings turn out to work well with it, though if the price difference is negligible then I'd probably go with an official one anyway.

Sovi3t
Jan 11, 2005
purple monkey dishwasher

Azzip posted:

Yeah they're a niche product so probably not going to see much change in prices. Main thing is it would be good to know which generic housings turn out to work well with it, though if the price difference is negligible then I'd probably go with an official one anyway.

With rare-ish stuff like this, I find it useful to set up an RSS feed reader with several craigslist search result feeds. Allows you to watch patiently over weeks, and jump on any deals quick.

cash
Nov 28, 2007

Rehabilitated Road Bully
:rice:

whatever7 posted:

Thread title should be updated to RX100 now.

You bourgeoisie you.

The RX100 looks really good though.

Is the S100 a better but than the S95? The price difference between them is substantial.

cash fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 17, 2012

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The S100's lens goes wider and longer than the S95's; it has a brand new, in-house designed sensor; and the image processor is supposedly muuuch faster. On amazon it looks like the S95 is only $30 cheaper than the S100, are you seeing different prices somewhere else? Cause I'd go for the S100 if that's it.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

powderific posted:

The S100's lens goes wider and longer than the S95's; it has a brand new, in-house designed sensor; and the image processor is supposedly muuuch faster. On amazon it looks like the S95 is only $30 cheaper than the S100, are you seeing different prices somewhere else? Cause I'd go for the S100 if that's it.

Pssst pssst I've got an S95 in the Centralized Camera thread for $200

Sovi3t
Jan 11, 2005
purple monkey dishwasher

cash posted:

Is the S100 a better but than the S95? The price difference between them is substantial.

Dog Case posted:

For $200 the S95 is an awesome deal. Sure, the S100 might be better (and I recently learned it has 240fps video), but I've been treating the S95 like a daily driver. It's always in my pocket, it gets banged around, and there's a lint problem I need to resolve, but it continues to produce great shots when I don't have a nicer camera on me (or don't want to risk breaking one).

Hell, for $200 I'm tempted to buy that one as a backup for when I kill mine.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I'm not sure where I should ask this but this seems as good a place to start.

I work in the real estate business and I need to get a replacement camera because the last one broke. However I need to be able to take 640x480 photos because that is what the banks require us to take. I have no idea where to begin looking for cameras at this resolution because everything seems to be in megapixels as opposed to the resolution like it was when I bought the camera about 7 years ago. If anyone could help me out or point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Ramadu posted:

I work in the real estate business and I need to get a replacement camera because the last one broke. However I need to be able to take 640x480 photos because that is what the banks require us to take. I have no idea where to begin looking for cameras at this resolution because everything seems to be in megapixels as opposed to the resolution like it was when I bought the camera about 7 years ago. If anyone could help me out or point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Pretty much any camera can output JPGs at that size.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Ramadu posted:

Go out and buy whatever Canon point-and-shoot is in your budget. If the camera has a 640x480 setting - great, you're all set. If not, just do a google search for "image resizing program". There are lots of free ones. Here is one, for example.

cash
Nov 28, 2007

Rehabilitated Road Bully
:rice:

Dog Case posted:

Sorry, would love to.. But am located in Malaysia.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Got an RX100 too, and am very very happy with it. It's replaced my E-PL2 as my always-on-me camera. It's good enough outdoors despite only going to f/11. Some kind of clip-on neutral density filter would be cool though.

I mostly bought it as something I can bring in with me to concerts, so I can't wait for my first opportunity to do that.

Adobe released their RAW support last night for this camera so I've finally been messing around with that. The in-camera jpegs don't look bad at all.

The oddest difference I've noticed though, RAWs in Lightroom have less barrel distortion than the jpegs.

edit: only goes to f/11. Just noticed my mistake in the quote.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 30, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Got an RX100 too, and am very very happy with it. It's replaced my E-PL2 as my always-on-me camera. It's good enough outdoors despite only going to f/22. Some kind of clip-on neutral density filter would be cool though.

I mostly bought it as something I can bring in with me to concerts, so I can't wait for my first opportunity to do that.

Adobe released their RAW support last night for this camera so I've finally been messing around with that. The in-camera jpegs don't look bad at all.

The oddest difference I've noticed though, RAWs in Lightroom have less barrel distortion than the jpegs.

gently caress yes, finally.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I still like my X10 :colbert:

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 30, 2012

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Repost from the Cannon thread:

S100 question: Does anyone know what the Macro setting does when using the "flexizone" AF mode in manual? My understanding is that it makes the camera prefer to focus on something very close, but I've been taking clear, focused shots of small objects (like insects) very close to the camera while forgetting to use Macro mode.

Most of what I've found online points to it setting appropriate aperture/shutter speed/focal distances, but it's an option in manual, and it seems to focus correctly without macro mode.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I still like my X10 :colbert:

I was at the electronics store at the Naval Base and I was really surprised that they had both the X100 and X10 on display. I picked up and played around with the X10 and was doubly surprised just how nice and solid it felt in the hands, especially since I thought that the zoom was going to be flimsy.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Dominoes posted:

Repost from the Cannon thread:

S100 question: Does anyone know what the Macro setting does when using the "flexizone" AF mode in manual? My understanding is that it makes the camera prefer to focus on something very close, but I've been taking clear, focused shots of small objects (like insects) very close to the camera while forgetting to use Macro mode.

Most of what I've found online points to it setting appropriate aperture/shutter speed/focal distances, but it's an option in manual, and it seems to focus correctly without macro mode.
I don't *know*, but if you are right that the setting is just a preference, then forgetting to enable macro mode will not stop it from focusing up close, it should just do it less often. Also, when taking shots very close, the DOF is very small, so the macro mode might set a preference for smaller apertures to give a larger DOF.

Why do you want to know?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Mathturbator posted:

Why do you want to know?
I went from shooting everything on auto, to learning how to take photos in manual and learning how to use every feature and option on the camera in a few days. I think I understand all of the settings except for this one.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!
I'm getting concerned that following comments in this thread I am wanting an RX100 more and more.

Is is possible to shoot raw at less MP on it (perhaps with reduced noise)? or do you have to use the full 20MP. I'm only really asking due to 20MP being a bit much for my usages and it'd be nice to reduce it slightly but still get RAW.

I currently use an S90 but it doesn't really seem to cut it for noise, or often sharpness, if the lighting is at all tricky. It is competing with my SLR and M4/3 cameras which is a bit unfair but I'd like to be able to get as close as I can to their quality and usability, but in a pocketable alternative for certain situations.

When I tried the RX100 today it felt a bit like the natural evolution from the S90. The S100 did seem quite nice, and I love the inclusion of an ND filter, but it still had some of the things I disliked about the S90.

Are most of you switching if you can?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Raw, by its very nature, has to be the full 20 MB, unfortunately. It's an unprocessed dump of all the sensor data.

The low light quality seems better than my m4/3 E-PL2, however it seems harder to get as-sharp focus. I haven't spent enough time with it though, and it's almost certainly because I turn the focus beam off most of the time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Took my RX100 to Halifax for a couple of days. These have a very little processing, but that's about it. I didn't even sharpen most of them.

You can totally notice the green tint on the windmill pic, in the lower left hand corner. Click through for a bit bigger.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I really, really wish they would have added a drat ND filter to the RX100.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Dumb question, but in a p&s are ND filters digital and could that be addressed with firmware in the future?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Dumb question, but in a p&s are ND filters digital and could that be addressed with firmware in the future?

I believe so. The Canon G12 has it.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

DJExile posted:

I believe so. The Canon G12 has it.

No, I don't think so - this is actually a hardware feature.
If you put your ear to the G12 you'll actually hear the ND filter click into place. It is that way with my friends G12 and with my old-rear end G9.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I believe they're almost all physical filters.

I suppose some could be digital, but unless they're doing something really odd with the sensor, it would probably just be expanded ISO, and I don't know why any company wouldn't just offer that as ISO value instead of a ND filter menu option.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Right. ISO 50 on DSLR's is basically an electronic ND filter. But if a camera claims to have a ND filter, it's most likely a physical device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

VomitOnLino posted:

No, I don't think so - this is actually a hardware feature.
If you put your ear to the G12 you'll actually hear the ND filter click into place. It is that way with my friends G12 and with my old-rear end G9.

....well holy poo poo. I have learned something.

• Locked thread