Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Sounds like someone doesn't score many goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Swimming across the ice on your stomach makes me think "guy scores all the time" for sure.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Gio posted:

Sounds like someone doesn't score many goals.

It was my first goal ok :saddowns:

E: it for real was too (in a league game, I'd never been in a league)

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Chemmy posted:

If you play in a pro league or the OHL or something celebrate all you want.

Congrats on scoring a goal against a bunch of guys who play sports part time though, really rub it in their faces. Let 'em know.
That's right. Let's remember to keep it serious. No fun allowed.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I compliment whoever set up my goal or if the goal is bullshit I call it bullshit and laugh about it then skate back to center. I can't imagine caring more than that.

It is heartwarming to see the dudes who celebrate a lot do their thing. If it matters that much to them then they deserve it :shobon:

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
I play floorball but yeah, I'm that guy who always celebrate a goal with a fistpump(or two if it was a particularly nice goal) while the others pretty much shrug and return to their side.

I've also done the Selänne duck-hunting thing when I scored the dumbest goal ever. But then, I've also spent the next 30 seconds on the floor once when I got tripped when scoring and hit my head in the goal frame.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I usually do a fist-pump and thank whoever set me up, if possible, and then skate back to center.

Only time I've done anything vastly different was in the playoffs last season when we were down by 2 or 3 and I got a goal off the goalies back leg. That was probably the first real celebration plus a loud "gently caress yeah!"

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
A guy I play roller hockey with celebrates absolutely every goal he scores by sheathing the sword. It is a reflex action at this point, totally out of his control. He's also pretty bad.

In related news we play posts if we only have one goalie and without fail his plan of attack is to cross the red line and fire a high floating wrister in the general direction of the frame. He'll hit one out of ten of these just based on dumb luck. Without fail, the sword gets sheathed when these goals are scored.

Also today we play for the title of "best hockey team in Oklahoma that isn't an AHL team or a CHL team or a college team". I think, anyway. I assume we'd beat the beer league champs in Tulsa and the bantam kids. I'm getting myself pumped for the game by planting my fall garden.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I have eq50 gloves and shins and love them. I have eq30 elbows which are protective and light. I have eq20 pants/shoulders nothing special bout them but they do the job.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
This and the cage issue divide hockey players into four categories:

code:
                    Cage                No Cage
            |one another. Come   |child support.      |
            |in threes.          |Probably a cop.     |
            |____________________|____________________|
            |Sits on the bench   |Sandbagger who never|
Doesn't     |complaining about   |passes. One week    |
Celebrate   |guys in the other   |old stick. One      |
            |three quadrants     |decade old gloves.  |
            |of this chart.      |                    |
            |____________________|____________________|

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Gio posted:

After I score a goal, I like to slide along the ice and pretend I'm paddling a kayak with my stick while shouting obscenities at the opposing team.

This is awesome, added plus if the obscenities are in French. When I score I'm too much in a state of shock to celebrate.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
After I get confident with skating again I really gotta work on my blue line cannon so that I can maybe get some goals.\

In other news the hockey class starts in 3 weeks and I'm super excited. Kinda wish I had a way to practice shooting and other hockey specific skills before that, though. Don't really have a wall to slam pucks against nearby. :(

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Vicas posted:

After I get confident with skating again I really gotta work on my blue line cannon so that I can maybe get some goals.\

In other news the hockey class starts in 3 weeks and I'm super excited. Kinda wish I had a way to practice shooting and other hockey specific skills before that, though. Don't really have a wall to slam pucks against nearby. :(

You can get an ez-goal and a shooting pad for like $200.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I always want to celebrate a goal in a show boating way but every time I do score a goal I always forget to. I usually just lift up my arms and then get embarrassed at the cheers and compliments from my teammates as I go back to the bench or face-off circle.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Zettace posted:

I always want to celebrate a goal in a show boating way but every time I do score a goal I always forget to. I usually just lift up my arms and then get embarrassed at the cheers and compliments from my teammates as I go back to the bench or face-off circle.

I keep meaning to do the NHL12 one knee circular ice sweep/ fist pump thing but I always forget.

I usually do the double fist pump and yell if its a big goal.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Fingers McGee posted:

This is awesome, added plus if the obscenities are in French. When I score I'm too much in a state of shock to celebrate.
I don't actually do that but yeah it'd be pretty awesome if I did, especially in French.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Won championship. Other team had an off-duty ref playing on it and he was literally calling the game for the actual refs. It was pretty bad. We came back to win after being down 3-1, all three of their goals happened when they were up two men. Also had three semi-fights, one including the goalie, one that I was in after time expired.

A guy who I know pretty well actually did the "I'm not going to shake your hand" thing to me when we were shaking hands. Apparently people actually do that.

GWG was scored by our grinder kid who skates so hard he throws up sometimes but has no hands or shot so he never scores. He got a 1 on 2 shorthanded, went wide, shut his eyes and the goalie missed it somehow. He was so happy. I actually jumped up in the air and yelled from back at my own blue line.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 13, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

People who don't shake their hands or take their glove off for the handshake are dicks.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Look Around You posted:

My team had to forfeit our game last night because our goalie decided to flip the gently caress out and try to fight basically everyone on the other team at the end of the 2nd period. It was only 6-4 them and we were keeping up pretty well for having like 5 less people than they did. I also scored a goal and slid on both knees as a celebration :v:

We got a new goalie who hopefully doesn't go crazy for no reason at least!

Of course this was at the one game I wasnt able to make it to. I wish our captain would of switched for my friend who got stuck on the team we played in the first game of the season. Nice job on the goal

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bewbies posted:

Also had three semi-fights, one including the goalie, one that I was in after time expired

You fought?

I cannot imagine the situation that actually provoked you to fight. Can't wait to hear that story.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Playoff victories are the best victories. Knocked off one of the best teams in the league 2-0 last night to put us in the semis.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

People who don't shake their hands or take their glove off for the handshake are dicks.

:smith: I let the other team punch my blocker.

:unsmith: They do it, whether they win or lose.

Sportsmanship in Beer league is a great thing. Look them in the eye and give them their congratulations if they win. Expect the same in return. :)

I love Hockey!

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 13, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bumping the blocker is pretty lame. I want a handshake, not to punch a piece of your equipment!

There's this goalie at our rink who hugs everyone in the line after every game. He's awesome :unsmith:

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

EvilTwig posted:

I'd been hanging my gear up to dry as soon as I got home with a combination of a liberal dose of Febreeze Sport to fight gear stank. It looks like the febreeze is being discontinued, is there a product like it thats cheap and will keep my basement and equipment from smelling like rear end?

It's probably too late for you but with my latest pair of gloves, I keep a dryer sheet in each one and 6 months into it, they still don't stink. If the liner in your shinpads comes out, definitely take them out and wash them every once in a while too. The rest of it (shoulder pads, pants) don't smell so terrible, at least in my experience. Haven't found a good solution for skates yet myself.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If I could ever find that spare dehumidifier I have, I would have made a pcb equipment drying tree and enclosed it in plastic with the exhaust going directly to a dehumidifier.

Enclosing the equipment in plastic with dehumidifier only works kinda ok. It dries it out but doesn't air out the stank.

edit: you can also try buying bulk silicone beads. They also make 'rechargeable' ones that you can reuse over and over.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

VendaGoat posted:

:smith: I let the other team punch my blocker.

:unsmith: They do it, whether they win or lose.

Sportsmanship in Beer league is a great thing. Look them in the eye and give them their congratulations if they win. Expect the same in return. :)

I love Hockey!

I do the same thing. I don't want to go back to the net to pick up my gear, though honestly, I only go through the handshake line out of obligation. It just feels like a waste of time and I've witnessed a couple fights break out during handshakes, so I think guys are better off getting off the ice and calming down instead of shaking hands while the game is still fresh in their minds.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I love that I'm still at a low enough level that people apologize to me when I skate into them full speed into the boards in an attempt to get the puck.

:smug: Why you apologizing to me?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Last night, I had a ref skate backwards into me and knock me over since I tried getting out of the way. He quickly apologized.

Don't blindly skate backwards, jerk :argh:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Our first playoff game of the season got cancelled tonight.

Bummer, I was really feeling good especially after playing drop in for about 4 hours yesterday.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
I prefer to keep my gloves on and bump knuckles in the handshake line as my hands are absolutely loving gnarly after playing and I don't think other people deserve to have to deal with that after playing a hockey game. Plus, other people's hands are nasty too.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Last night, I had a ref skate backwards into me and knock me over since I tried getting out of the way. He quickly apologized.

Don't blindly skate backwards, jerk :argh:

Keep your head up!

- Don Cherry

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Gotta post another story from last night.

Guy on our team has a very, very pregnant wife. We'd not heard from him yesterday, so we assumed he was going to miss the game due to childbirth. While we were getting dressed, someone said "he's going to come in and say 'it's ok guys, the contractions were 12 minutes apart, got time to play'".

So, about a minute after that, the guy comes in and says "her contractions were 12 minutes apart, she told me to come play and we'll go to the hospital afterwards". When he said this we lost our poo poo. We played, he went straight to the hospital taking our broken guy along with him.

Kid was born last night about 2 hours after he got there. Owns.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
My goal celebration = Raise my hands above my head and try not to slam into the boards since I score mostly on rushes. Then fist bump my linemates. I think anything beyond that is a little excessive, except if it's a playoff game or tournament or something meaningful.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I'm mostly surprised when I make a goal - usually squinting to make sure it actually went in. I typically go for fist bumps, congratulate my line for putting together a good play, and smile a lot.

Two games ago when I made the GWG on a breakaway? Fist-pump, dove and did a barrel-roll on the ice, then back up to say hi to the team. Not as obnoxious as possible but man was I happy with that goal.

Playoffs start this week. Only the top four teams make playoffs and we are the fourth seed. I'm already a nervous wreck and am hoping for the very best.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Aniki posted:

I do the same thing. I don't want to go back to the net to pick up my gear, though honestly, I only go through the handshake line out of obligation. It just feels like a waste of time and I've witnessed a couple fights break out during handshakes, so I think guys are better off getting off the ice and calming down instead of shaking hands while the game is still fresh in their minds.

I do the blocker punch as well. We're doing you guys a favor, trust us! :zombie:

In my game last week I had to take my goal mask and gloves off to find a puck wedged into my pads. I stood up, started putting the mask on, and heard the ref drop the puck behind me.

That's the first time I've had a ref apologize as I was screaming not so nice things in his face. Yeah, my center should have noticed and stayed out of the circle, but the ref was standing in my face when I took the mask off. At least my team won the draw.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Is there anything more embarrassing than losing the puck in the last and deciding round of a shootout to end the game.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

First thing that came to mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvIQUteutms

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Hockles posted:

Is there anything more embarrassing than losing the puck in the last and deciding round of a shootout to end the game.
Ask Setoguchi.

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHL4_qdMnoI

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

It is me. I am Setoguchi. I tied the game to take it into a shootout and everything. I suppose it could have been worse. I stayed on my feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Hockles posted:

One time in a friendly game with pals I was the sixth guy on the ice to replace our goalie. I grabbed the puck the other team had cleared and went to circle low in our zone to build up speed and start a rush.

I blew a tire and went into our net with the puck.

Welp.