Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Comrade Quack posted:

Where the dimple string starts at the eye. It's the same place Nolen specifies, just a different way of attaching it.

Yeah, there isn't really a required way to attach the floss. It comes down to whatever will stay attached inside the frog and won't rip through your fabric.

The original frog used a surprisingly heavy velour, which withstood the pulling of the floss without ripping or tearing. My first recreation used fleece, which had similar problems to the ones you are all describing, and required tricks like tying it around the seam allowance.

I'm excited to see all these new frogs though! They look great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.

Brainbread posted:

Its frog time! I was thinking of buying Nolans pattern to get the head down on him, but it came out well enough (though, I'll make sure to put some little marks for his nose, and that red part of the mouth for my next one).

And looks like I got some haters still, 'cause my avatar keeps changing :3:

Edit: Can you link me to Nolan's store for that pattern?

Haha I love him!

Comrade Quack posted:

I think Nolen sticks to selling via pm or email.

After having the same embroidery floss problem with my first frog I started knotting the eyeball ends by tying it to the seam allowance, so that instead of having a knot that may pull through the seam it would have to pull the chunk of fabric with it. Also I think I starting going through the fabric near the seam instead of through the seam.

Yeah I put the floss through the seam allowance on the eyes, and then put it through the actual fabric just above the seam for the chin. There's a big hole where the knot slipped back through :mad:

I don't wanna open this one back up, at least not now. Maybe later but I'll definitely try again when I decide to make another one.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

NatashaQuick posted:

Haha I love him!

Gonna make some super small, simple ones. Bough Nolen's pattern to munch on and hack into what I need. Just the head needs to look extra good.

In the meantime, I made some bees and a sheep! The sheep is part of a trade (a friend of mine in China is making me a painting)

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.
Yeah you shouldn't have any problem adapting the pattern's head to go on an actual body. He looks so indignant :3:

I went through my shop and put all the pics I had missing on this imgur. Here's the two customs I had requested on there, the alien character is from a kids' game called The Maw and the other is a jackelope, I wish I'd taken better pictures of the latter but so it is. The white is really a cream and he has a pink nose.

Also I think nolen's needs one of these I fought my machine to make for Pet Island secret santa last year:

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

How big are these IRL? They're really cute.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Squarely Circle posted:

How big are these IRL? They're really cute.

They're about 5 or 6" long! Pretty small.

Turns out finding the buttons them is one of the hardest parts. :/

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

NatashaQuick posted:

Also I think nolen's needs one of these I fought my machine to make for Pet Island secret santa last year:

Koji! I should make one of these for Mona and we can start a Shiba "Cat" army.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
Put these together last night.

Made of fleece, hand-stitching and the most rudimentary of embroidery. I hope it's apparent that they are chess pawns, I admit they're a little simplistic.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I've been doing little plushies as a way to break out of the monotony of my other projects and also they've been a good challenge.

First bees for SASS

Then Penguins- just because I love them

and this guy from the lovedump subforum- based on a drawing

I'm still trying to figure out how the different shapes go from the 2D to the 3D.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Funhilde posted:

I've been doing little plushies as a way to break out of the monotony of my other projects and also they've been a good challenge.

First bees for SASS

Then Penguins- just because I love them

and this guy from the lovedump subforum- based on a drawing

I'm still trying to figure out how the different shapes go from the 2D to the 3D.

I love bees so much :3 (and I can'ts top staring at the crocodile eating pie in the last one)! Good work, and I hope you keep it up!

As for blowing them up to 3D, its different for each project. For human-like things, you can often just rely on the stretch of the material to do that, but... well. For four-legged animals and such, it can be a bit more challenging!

Any particular project you need help with?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Brainbread posted:

Any particular project you need help with?

Not at the moment. I make clothing usually so the plush stuff is just very different for me to wrap my brain around. I also had some problems with the Mushroom's head- the patterns out there are shaped similar to newsboy caps but I wasn't quite getting the shape I wanted out of it.

Like most things it seems I just need to do more.

My next project is going to be a very simple cat shape so that I can use it for my Cat Tie photos.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

I hope it's apparent that they are chess pawns, I admit they're a little simplistic.

I think it's quite apparent. I saw them and before I read the description I went "oh cute, chess pawns".

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Funhilde posted:

My next project is going to be a very simple cat shape so that I can use it for my Cat Tie photos.
Have you seen this pattern? http://dollmaker.nunodoll.com/cat/ragdoll.html It's a super cute one I've been wanting to try for a while but I haven't had the materials.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Making dolls is fun! She's 30" tall, or 36" to Leviathan (the snake coming out of her brain). Though, she reallllly needs a doll stand, and is currently being held up by a thread stand, which is quite inadequate.

So much fun to do. Very time consuming!

The character is "Squigly" from Skullgirls, is anyone's curious =P

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 15, 2012

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
Once again I made something and didn't take very good pictures of it before I shipped it off.

Oh god there was so much lint.

Red Panda

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Trying to make a cat for my Cat Ties by combining a couple of different patterns.I'm not too happy with it.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Comrade Quack posted:

Once again I made something and didn't take very good pictures of it before I shipped it off.

Oh god there was so much lint.

Red Panda

Oh my god that is adorable.

Funhilde posted:

Trying to make a cat for my Cat Ties by combining a couple of different patterns.I'm not too happy with it.

Its a good start! Its obviously a cat at first glance, but their faces are quite... well, not easy to do.

A quick search turned this up which looks fairly good.

http://isismasshiro.deviantart.com/art/Cat-patterns-and-tutorial-263864292

Just keep at it! Takes a while before things come together, and let us know the results!

Hat Butt
Jun 18, 2012
The boyfriend's birthday was today...made the goon this:

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
^^ He's so dapper. :allears:

I took all the necessary photos for a tutorial for my jellyfish plushes last month, so I'll be able to put it together pretty soon. I'm still not sure how I'm to host it, so I guess I'll throw it out to the lovely people here. Should I post the full tutorial in the thread, or does anyone know of a website that lets you host in-depth tutorials?

As far as my next plush project, I think I'm going to make a Whimsicott because I'm a Pokemon nerd.

I'm fairly certain I can do it - there aren't a ton of difficult 3-dimensional shapes to figure out. It's mostly a matter of getting the fabric and finding the time to get it done. I also plan on hand-stitching the whole darn thing because I find it therapeutic and I can do it easily between classes.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Brainbread posted:

Oh my god that is adorable.

Its a good start! Its obviously a cat at first glance, but their faces are quite... well, not easy to do.

A quick search turned this up which looks fairly good.

http://isismasshiro.deviantart.com/art/Cat-patterns-and-tutorial-263864292

Just keep at it! Takes a while before things come together, and let us know the results!

Thanks!

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

I took all the necessary photos for a tutorial for my jellyfish plushes last month, so I'll be able to put it together pretty soon. I'm still not sure how I'm to host it, so I guess I'll throw it out to the lovely people here. Should I post the full tutorial in the thread, or does anyone know of a website that lets you host in-depth tutorials?

You could put it all in one obnoxiously long image, like people do on DeviantArt.

Or you make an account and post it on something like Blogger, Tumblr or whatever. I'd love to see it, either way. :3:

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Since there's no dedicated amigurumi thread, and I am too ashamed to share the awkward crochet on the crochet thread, here's my Alex Delarge.

Also, BMO phone cozy. The shape is awkward, but I'm otherwise happy with it.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

TVarmy posted:

Since there's no dedicated amigurumi thread, and I am too ashamed to share the awkward crochet on the crochet thread, here's my Alex Delarge.

Also, BMO phone cozy. The shape is awkward, but I'm otherwise happy with it.

Amigurumi is definitely welcome here!

And that BMO cozy is cute (and surprisingly the exact same shape as my phone, so not really awkward there)

Edit: And some more content

I've got a couple of birthday gifts of OC's, so I am gonna wait on them being delivered before I actually post. Even if no-one here would send it off to the recipients, this thread is quite searchable ^^;

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 8, 2012

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009

I created a blogger for my tutorials, so here's the first one on jellyfish plushes! The tutorial is designed for both beginners and folks with more advanced skills, so at points I do over-explain some things. I hope you find it useful, and I'd love to see any jellyfish you guys make!

Edit: I also made a little something today.

A plush jammy dodger pin made of fleece and wrong-side costuming satin. Spur of the moment crafts are really the most fun for me to do.

Sudden Guts Pill fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 9, 2012

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Something I made for a friend after being inspired by this thread!

Stitched by hand with no knowledge of sewing techniques, aside from some hazy memories when I was a kid. Face is drawn on in highlighter, so hopefully it won't bleed or fade.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

Edit: I also made a little something today.

A plush jammy dodger pin made of fleece and wrong-side costuming satin. Spur of the moment crafts are really the most fun for me to do.

Love this! But he needs a bourbon as a friend...

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Blish posted:

Something I made for a friend after being inspired by this thread!

Stitched by hand with no knowledge of sewing techniques, aside from some hazy memories when I was a kid. Face is drawn on in highlighter, so hopefully it won't bleed or fade.

I'm not sure how long a highlighter will last (especially if it gets wet!), but there are probably some ways of sealing it so it doesn't run if it gets wet.

What I'd suggest doing next time, is "Applique". Or whatever I think that means.

What you would do, is cut out black fabric in the same shape as the mouth and eyes. You'd then pin it to the surface of the plush, and stitch it on by running a zig-zag stitch on the edges of it (preferably on the black). You could also do it by hand on the current plush, if you stitched it on by hand!

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Blish posted:

No idea how your particular highlighter will hold up, but I have had highlighters permanently stain other fabrics. I made a pencil case out of a scrap of purple jersey once, and it now has a neon yellow corner because the highlighter leaked. :saddowns:

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

Brainbread posted:

What I'd suggest doing next time, is "Applique". Or whatever I think that means.

That was my first thought, but I forgot about it until after the plush was already sewn, and I didn't think I could applique (that's what it's called?) after it was already sewn together. I already gave it away, so maybe I'll just leave it as is.

Also, I think I currently hold the trophy for Least Flattering Plush Photo. Don't any of you dare take it away from me.

Mizufusion posted:

No idea how your particular highlighter will hold up, but I have had highlighters permanently stain other fabrics. I made a pencil case out of a scrap of purple jersey once, and it now has a neon yellow corner because the highlighter leaked. :saddowns:

Ouch! Bad news for you, I guess good news for me.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

So, tried something a bit new (I want to focus on making more things with outfits, because I am awful at clothes for the toys and I need practice!)

So made the character "Daring Do" which has a safari hat and some sort of jacket-thing. Turned out pretty well. I also started ordering fabric off a dealer on Ebay, who ships out from Korea. They've got a good selection, as well as several types of grey which is not sold locally (at all, no grey Microchenille at any of the stores around here).

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011
Reading this thread has made me desperately want to make more dolls. Maybe when I get home. I have a pair sitting in my bookcase (made from the Nunodoll nekomimi pattern without the kitty bits) of whom I could probably post pictures, but most likely won't, because they're hilariously derpy compared to the rest of the work in this thread. :ohdear:

Brainbread, have you considered making a plush of the Last Unicorn? Might sell pretty well...

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

tFUCKINGmesis posted:

Reading this thread has made me desperately want to make more dolls. Maybe when I get home. I have a pair sitting in my bookcase (made from the Nunodoll nekomimi pattern without the kitty bits) of whom I could probably post pictures, but most likely won't, because they're hilariously derpy compared to the rest of the work in this thread. :ohdear:

Brainbread, have you considered making a plush of the Last Unicorn? Might sell pretty well...

Howdy and welcome! And I'd say to give it a shot. We all need to start somewhere.

Like this was a year to now

And this was the first pony I made

So give it a shot, post your stuff and get some help, and start workin' away!

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011
Well, I did warn you. :sigh: Brace for lovely dorm lighting, messy desk, no photography skill, etc.

Care to guess which one was first? Both were huge learning experiences, though.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

tFUCKINGmesis posted:

Well, I did warn you. :sigh: Brace for lovely dorm lighting, messy desk, no photography skill, etc.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/423449_2754883906172_592314819_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/395933_2895189373721_1147138944_n.jpg

Care to guess which one was first? Both were huge learning experiences, though.

Those are adorable! I can't make human characters worth a drat, so I'm a bit jealous. You should really keep making more (and make all the doll requests I get, so I don't have to)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Hat Butt posted:

The boyfriend's birthday was today...made the goon this:

I feel like I need one of these. What could I trade you for the pattern?

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
I make Fat Cats:

(my hosting)

Why is minky so hard to work with? Argh. I have to hand-stitch at least half of the pattern, and tie little single-stitch knots in place of pinning, because the pins won't stay in place. Anybody else have any tips?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Keska posted:

I make Fat Cats:

Why is minky so hard to work with? Argh. I have to hand-stitch at least half of the pattern, and tie little single-stitch knots in place of pinning, because the pins won't stay in place. Anybody else have any tips?

Howdy! Welcome to the club!

I've had no issue with minky, so I guess we can start from the top! When you're pinning, is the pin exiting the fabric on the same side as it started on (I am assuming so, but best to check anyways).

As for the parts you have to hand-stitch, are they just ears and the tail and feet? Have you tried putting cuts into the body for the ears and tail?

Also, your cats are adorable :3

Since i've not posted in awhile, I made my first pokemon!

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Thank you, I've been working really hard on the pattern for this plushie!

But I'm pinning correctly, with pins as close as every 1/8 - 1/4 inch, and then when I run it through the sewing machine it will still shift up to 1/4 inch, especially on curves - and that's a lot on a small plush like this! So I've resorted to hand-sewing the feet and all the corners in the pattern. You can see the seams better on this fleece one:

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
A lot of issues I have with minky fabrics completely depends on the quality of the minky fabric in question.

I've used one similar to the white you're using for the kitties (super cute, by the way) and it was a nightmare. It barely held itself to together at the edges when cut.

If you order a minky fabric that's more solid on the back and only has a nap on one side, you will probably have better success. Search fabric.com for "minky" and you will see tons of results, all of which are not nearly as maddening to work with under a machine.

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
What horror has my first attempt brought into this world?

Just finished my first monstrosity and had to show someone. I finally mustered enough effort to start and finish one of these little guys after, what, a year+ of posting in this thread asking for advice. I made a lot of mistakes, but I learned a lot and know how to fix them for the next one. Lookin' forward to making one for my girlfriend tomorrow that hopefully isn't so adorably deformed and broken.

• Locked thread