Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Colorblind Pilot posted:

Yeah, the administration knows and doesn't like it, but there isn't much they can do. Especially since he is a huge rear end in a top hat and will yell when challenged.

Abovethelaw that stat. An administration 'can't do much about it'? gently caress them, yes they can, tenure or not.

For context, six or seven years ago, a visiting prof at Berkeley decided to randomly grade a class on his TTT home law school's curve and failed a few people. They went straight to the administration. I don't know what happened with their grades, but that prof was definitely never invited back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

Adar posted:

Abovethelaw that stat. An administration 'can't do much about it'? gently caress them, yes they can, tenure or not.

For context, six or seven years ago, a visiting prof at Berkeley decided to randomly grade a class on his TTT home law school's curve and failed a few people. They went straight to the administration. I don't know what happened with their grades, but that prof was definitely never invited back.

Hmm, I'll talk to some of my classmates. But I think I might wait until he re-normalizes our grades. Otherwise, he might get pissed and refuse to re-normalize our grades after OCI.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Colorblind Pilot posted:

Hmm, I'll talk to some of my classmates. But I think I might wait until he re-normalizes our grades. Otherwise, he might get pissed and refuse to re-normalize our grades after OCI.

I'd think you'd want that public so you could explain it to the people at OCI.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sue him for tortious interference for a lifetime of lost earning potential as a class action, problem solved.

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

evilweasel posted:

I'd think you'd want that public so you could explain it to the people at OCI.

I mention it to them, and they usually understand, especially since all of my interviewers went to my school and heard of the guy while they were there.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Omerta posted:

Got no offered :smith:. Firm cited fit reasons and some inconsistent work product at the beginning. I'm super bummed and scared that I'm going to become Hookars and have to take 40 bar exams.
Sorry to hear -- that really sucks. Do you think you'll want to stick around the Atlanta market?

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Colorblind Pilot posted:

I mention it to them, and they usually understand, especially since all of my interviewers went to my school and heard of the guy while they were there.

moglen spotted

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.

Boxman posted:

The secret is to join up with a firm that shovels all that work onto contract attorneys. I did that for the last 8 months, and I have it on good authority that the first years didn't have to deal with that poo poo.

PS ringtail sucks.

Anyway, I end my long, semi-nightmare of being underemployed and being supported by my significant other when I report for a job with the federal government Monday. I am now neither unemployed nor alone. Now that I have a job, this thread will probably depress me a lot less. :v:

We keep our contract attorneys literally in the basement. :smugdog:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Napoleon I posted:

We keep ours in other states. Why would you let the filth into your nice clean building?

(Also COL is way cheaper there, they actually make out okay on the deal - at least for a given definition of okay.)

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

Colorblind Pilot posted:

Tell me how awful this is. I had a professor during 1L that hates law firms and doesn't want his students to work there, so he artificially deflates the curve to give everyone bad grades to hurt their chances of working there.

Then he waits for OCI to happen and once its over, he re-normalizes everyone's grades to the actual curve, and submits grade changes to the registrar.

No callbacks yet. I really don't like him right now.

What a paternalistic rear end in a top hat. You should definitely send that in to ATL. Also, shouldn't the registrar refuse to let him submit grades if they don't fit the school's curve?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Napoleon I posted:

Do they work in conditions reminiscent of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory? If not, that's disappointing. :getin:

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 12, 2012

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Napoleon I posted:

Our offices were about 25 floors below the rest of the firm. It was actually a pretty upbeat work environment, and they helped assuage our otherwise crippling depression by making a near constant supply of candy an doughnuts available, but I still sometimes felt like Jack in 30 Rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmNn_bKg7VM

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

sigmachiev posted:

Sorry man that's really rough and honestly kind of unfair/unlucky because there's certainly a ton of other SAs out there who are getting offers and didn't to poo poo for it. I'm not sure what you mean by fit reasons but dollars to donuts the reasoning goes beyond your work product at the start or whatever to the fiscal side of things on the firm's end.

I doubt it. They just doubled their office space and seem like they're in good shape. There are only like 7-10 equity partners in the office I was in though, so I think I just did something to really piss one of them off. The partner who manages the litigation department seemed really pissed I didn't get an offer, volunteered to be a reference, and really went out of his way to try to be helpful. A partner in the corporate group asked for my phone number and said he'd call me next week to explain in further detail what happened. I'm not sure what happened, but other partners seem irate about it. Then again, I have no idea what I could have done to be so contentious.

I feel like the work product stuff at the beginning was total bs too. I screwed up this non-billable assignment for a junior associate that amounted to "write a two page memo about shares." It was such a vague and weird assignment it took me like four tries before the associate accepted what I turned in. Got very positive reviews on everything else.

Green Crayons posted:

Sorry to hear -- that really sucks. Do you think you'll want to stick around the Atlanta market?
The plan is to apply everywhere and see what sticks. I really have no interest in NY, but I think that market offers the best opportunities for locking down a spot as a 3L. Also applying to more clerkships; I was initially very selective because I was pretty sure I was going to get an offer.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Also, I forgot to post that a family friend had a nervous breakdown after failing the CA bar for the second time. She went missing for a while and a random guy on the interstate found her wandering on the side of the road about 40 miles from her car. Could be worse!

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Omerta posted:

Also, I forgot to post that a family friend had a nervous breakdown after failing the CA bar for the second time. She went missing for a while and a random guy on the interstate found her wandering on the side of the road about 40 miles from her car. Could be worse!

Growing up we were living in San Diego but my dad was doing some temporary work about an hour north of L.A. He was driving up one night and said he knew he was getting close to L.A. when local radio announced the southbound 5 was closed due to a man running across all lanes wearing nothing but a pair of pantyhose.

Maybe it was bar results time.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Omerta posted:

I doubt it. They just doubled their office space and seem like they're in good shape. There are only like 7-10 equity partners in the office I was in though, so I think I just did something to really piss one of them off. The partner who manages the litigation department seemed really pissed I didn't get an offer, volunteered to be a reference, and really went out of his way to try to be helpful. A partner in the corporate group asked for my phone number and said he'd call me next week to explain in further detail what happened. I'm not sure what happened, but other partners seem irate about it. Then again, I have no idea what I could have done to be so contentious.

Go talk to the partner who manages the litigation department. Ask him who else you should call. Use his name to get into other firms' doors.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Just read through 8 pages of posts after not having read this thread since the bar. Is there space in the fantasy football league?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CaptainScraps posted:

Go talk to the partner who manages the litigation department. Ask him who else you should call. Use his name to get into other firms' doors.

This is really good advice. A well-respected partner who thinks his partners screwed up will do a lot of good for you. If only because if you succeed he can go to the jackass who no offered you and rub it in his face.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

nm posted:

This is really good advice. A well-respected partner who thinks his partners screwed up will do a lot of good for you. If only because if you succeed he can go to the jackass who no offered you and rub it in his face.

Yeah, definitely doing that. What I'm doing right now is calling the more prominent firms in the city to get a feel for who is hiring and who isn't (answer: nobody. Nobody is hiring), so that way when he asks who I've checked with I don't sound like an idiot.

Sent out about 25 applications to NY firms today. Got in touch with a Quinn Emmanuel partner I worked with in school and he said he'd forward my information to other firms since his is full in the departments I want to work in.

Also sent my stuff to two other biglaw partners I know in other cities. They weren't sure if they had finished finished hiring, but getting a resume in through a partner sure beats a spam resume.

Also applying to tons more clerkships. My credentials make me competitive for the less-popular district courts. I've done lots of bankruptcy stuff, so I have an extremely strong resume for bankruptcy too.

edit: People I've talked to today: four biglaw partners, two senior associates, and a federal judge. I've definitely been doing the networking I need to in the past, so let's hope it leads to something.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 13, 2012

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
The air conditioner came on today at about 3:30. I couldn't feel any change but I could at least hear it, which is a huge step forward. I also put up my third preliminary hearing and realized for the first time that basically no one in that particular courtroom, myself obviously included, has any idea what the actual rules are.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
I spent more time in the office today than I spent in school in a week 2L/3L year.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Nero posted:

I spent more time in the office today than I spent in school in a week 2L/3L year.

I do this every day. Although, 3L year I only had class for the first semester...once a week...and skipped it.

Man...law school. :allears:

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
People who went to good schools all think work is harder than school

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
So this week I learned about a disciplinary action against an attorney I know. The lesson: apparently you have to actively work to lose your license.

A local solo bankruptcy attorney has a bankruptcy attorney husband. Except the husband has been disbarred for about a decade for double dealing. He'd convince clients to sell him their property at firesale prices right before filing 7's. The wife appears to run a solo practice, but in reality her disbarred husband would process many of the cases. He'd meet the clients, prepare the forms, and she'd swoop in at the last second and ask "have any questions?" before signing her name.

Well, after a decade of this he obviously got caught again double dealing. His clients only complained because he fell through on his promise to buy. And this is just the one case where he got caught.

The disciplinary action against the wife: public reprimand, with an order for husband to have zero contact with clients. Her defense: all of his work was pro bono, and there was no financial arrangement for gain. Yeah. That somehow loving worked. I don't even...

Here's the bar determination for the interested.

woozle wuzzle fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 15, 2012

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

J Miracle posted:

People who went to good schools all think work is harder than school

Yep. I've talked to kids from Cooley and I work with dudes from Wayne, and those schools are concentration camps compared to Michigan.

When I was a 2L I whined and cried ITT for like a month because my First Amendment professor busted me for skipping half a semester of his class. (I still got a B+.) Later Alaemon told us poo poo about mandatory attendance and homework and whatnot at Cooley. "Good schools" are a loving joke in comparison

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

woozle wuzzle posted:

A local solo bankruptcy attorney has a bankruptcy attorney husband. Except the husband has been disbarred for about a decade for double dealing. He'd convince clients to sell him their property at firesale prices right before filing 7's.

The Crassus of 2012!

Glowing Red Sign
Oct 26, 2008
Has anyone in LA heard of either of these firms, or this judge?

Bonnie, Bridges, Mueller, O’Keefe & Nichols

Matison, Margolese, & Korn

The Hon. Kevin C. Brazile, Dept. 20 at Stanley Mosk Courthouse

They'll each be supervising me during a fellowship, so I thought perhaps someone who knows LA might be able to tell me about them.

Glowing Red Sign fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 15, 2012

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Glowing Red Sign posted:

The Hon. Kevin C. Brazile, Dept. 20 at Stanley Mosk Courthouse

Only name that rings a bell is the Stanley Mosk Courthouse. It's nice and close to transit? :shobon:

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
I can think of very few courses I've taken where there wasn't a grade penalty for missing more than three or four classes. The ones that didn't set a specific number usually had unannounced reading quizzes that counted for roughly a quarter of your grade. Sometimes I read the posts here and I'm floored at how much folks get away with and think that they must be exaggerating.

The most annoying, though, were the "Your grade may be raised or lowered a third based on participation" classes. Okay, but don't tally participation or anything. Let's just give the brown-nosers who contribute an obnoxious amount of the time a free pass because you recognize their name in a class of forty. The syllabus always says it has to be meaningful contribution but pfffft.

I'm just going to make it a point this year to sneak in Lebowski quotes for my observations. "Uh, yes, professor, I just wanted to say that after reading [case], I don't think this aggression should stand. We need to draw a line in the loving sand."

/grumpy

Solid Lizzie fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 15, 2012

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
OCI OCI OCI. Aaaaaah.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

MoFauxHawk posted:

OCI OCI OCI. Aaaaaah.

"I want to work at this firm because of their excellent corporate tax department."

*firm doesn't have corporate tax department any more*

commish
Sep 17, 2009

MoFauxHawk posted:

OCI OCI OCI. Aaaaaah.

I'm so looking forward to having many more conversations with socially awkward law students. I cannot wait!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

MoFauxHawk posted:

OCI OCI OCI. Aaaaaah.

You don't want any of those jobs anyway.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Tetrix posted:

"I want to work at this firm because of their excellent corporate tax department."

*firm doesn't have corporate tax department any more*

"wtf do you know about tax law"

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
My favorite part of being a holier than thou public interest shitheel is lounging in my school's atrium in sweatpants during these 2 weeks.

Yes, that's right, while all you corporate shills are running around like trained rats, I sit here comfortable in the knowledge that I won't need/be able to afford a suit when I get my barista job.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
I think the worst thing you can do in OCI is try to talk business/be too specific. Just chat with them, have a couple stock questions for them ready and a bullshit/evasive response for the big questions you can expect ("Why [city]? Tell me about your 1L summer job!).

Every firm I got callbacks from was one where the interviewer and I talked about TV/philosophy/video games/karaoke/my embarassing Con Law Grade and shot the poo poo for 20 minutes. Whether or not you get a job is determined 98% by your 1L grades, and your interview performance can only drag you down by, for example, you asking a dumb question or being awkward.

Your interviewer is a person just like you, but a couple years older. Would you be impressed by some 1L sperging out about corporate tax, or the firms latest merger? Most people do exactly that, and it's dumb. They'll remember the guy who was chill or talked about <interesting topic>, not "TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PRIVATE EQUITY PRACTICE" dude.

Napoleon I fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 15, 2012

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Even worse than the interviews are the "hospitality suites" being run by firms that are mainly used by students who don't have an interview with that firm to drop their resume into the pile that's later going to be used to heat the partners' offices during the cold Chicago winter

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Just so you know, MFH, I'm about 80% sure I got the callback that turned into my summer job from a random hospitality suite conversation. And I didn't even really talk much.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

MoFauxHawk posted:

Even worse than the interviews are the "hospitality suites" being run by firms that are mainly used by students who don't have an interview with that firm to drop their resume into the pile that's later going to be used to heat the partners' offices during the cold Chicago winter

I got the job I took, where I eventually got an offer, because of a resume I dropped into a pile in the hospitality suite because I didn't get the firm in the bid process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Hey, didn't say I'm not still doing it. I guess I just got that impression because the Ropes recruiter was telling people that they recruit almost nobody outside of OCI. I'm glad to hear that's not completely true. I've been schmoozing as much as possible at these things and at networking events.

One of my interviewers (who seems cool) today brought up the pie-eating thing, and it turns out that his wife is from Catonsville, MD, which is the place I went with Sulecrist and got third place in a hot dog eating contest! The large trophy with the anthropomorphic wiener on it is what reminds me these days that life is worth living.