Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

JT Jag posted:

What is the Atlas' ranged capacity? Like TheParadigm said, could the Atlas at least withdraw to more of a supporting position?

The Atlas' long range capability is comprised of a single Gauss rifle, followed up by a severely shorter ranged MRM 40. After that its range gets even shorter, going down to 4 Mlas for close-in fighting. With a 0/1 pilot, it COULD safely retreat to 12-15 hexes to continue firing its primary weapons, but that'd still leave it vulnerable to Clan ER Mediums and other long ranged weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Why retreat it? zombie gonna zombie Just as a note any hit is liable to just blow off the torso and the atlas has plenty of armor everywhere but the CT... ptns dice don't do good at spreading out damage sadly.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 13, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Alchenar posted:

Except this is a do-or-die suicide mission. They're trying to win but story wise they can't really run away to survive.

It's a do-or-die campaign, which requires much more long-term thinking than a do-or-die battle, which is the scale of what we are currently watching. Keeping the Atlas functional has a much greater value to the campaign than if this were the first and last battle it was supposed to be in.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's a do-or-die campaign, which requires much more long-term thinking than a do-or-die battle, which is the scale of what we are currently watching. Keeping the Atlas functional has a much greater value to the campaign than if this were the first and last battle it was supposed to be in.

All of this is dependant on how fast things can get repaired.

I'm just gonna say this, I've been looking at the damage, and if you mob the mars and athena (athena first) the clans output is going to flatline.

Recommending: POUR IT ON. Every enemy down is one less guy to shoot at you, they are weak, begin the harvest.

Err I just see the incubus reversing and running... As far as I know you can't run if you use any reverse movement points... and reverse movement doesn't stack with regular movement... so you can't reverse 3 then turn and walk 2 more and get a +2 movemod.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 13, 2012

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Athena is definitely hosed. He's got 8 frontal armor left and is gonna take a bunch of fire.

The Mars is probably hosed. Even though he has a poo poo-ton of armor, he's gonna take a bunch of fire, and hits on vehicles tend to cause crits. Pour a lot of fire into even an assault-class vehicle, and it's likely to be crippled.

I'm going to go alpha T5. It's hosed.

H4 is probably going to live another round, but it's already lost an arm and is more of a nuisance at this point.

The scrum down at the south end of the map is pretty interesting, though. That Thresher is very annoying with its excellent weapons and excellent speed. We're gonna do what we can here.

I'd say there's a chance we could actually finish the mission this turn (unlikely but possible). The scary part is that we could lose quite a lot of our own force at this point: almost every mech has a critical location opened up. Ideally the crockett would take most of the heavy fire, since his armor is in the best shape, but he's just not positioned to be a likely priority for the heavy tanks, and probably the southern group will ignore him too.

I think the phoenix hawk will certainly survive this round too, he's gonna have a huge move mod and not many enemies that can target him.

Pretty much everyone else can die to a single unlucky shot from a heavy clan weapon, and that's not counting headshots. I feel like this is very much a win-or-lose round, if we roll decent dice we're going to eviscerate the clan forces, if they roll good dice we can lose several key units, if we roll bad and they roll well we could have a real pyrrhic victory next round or two.

And of course, every previous engagement in this LP has had PTN spring a surprise on us partway through the mission, so I'm dreading the other dropped shoe, whatever it winds up being.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

And of course, every previous engagement in this LP has had PTN spring a surprise on us partway through the mission, so I'm dreading the other dropped shoe, whatever it winds up being.

I thought I'd surprise you this time by not surprising you. A company vs. two Clan stars (even if one is almost entirely scout vehicles) is a rough fight.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

I thought I'd surprise you this time by not surprising you. A company vs. two Clan stars (even if one is almost entirely scout vehicles) is a rough fight.

What happened to the Eponas that you promised as reinforcements back at the beginning of the battle? Or was that just a joke?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

The Athena is definitely hosed. He's got 8 frontal armor left and is gonna take a bunch of fire.

The Mars is probably hosed. Even though he has a poo poo-ton of armor, he's gonna take a bunch of fire, and hits on vehicles tend to cause crits. Pour a lot of fire into even an assault-class vehicle, and it's likely to be crippled.

I'm going to go alpha T5. It's hosed.

H4 is probably going to live another round, but it's already lost an arm and is more of a nuisance at this point.

The scrum down at the south end of the map is pretty interesting, though. That Thresher is very annoying with its excellent weapons and excellent speed. We're gonna do what we can here.

I'd say there's a chance we could actually finish the mission this turn (unlikely but possible). The scary part is that we could lose quite a lot of our own force at this point: almost every mech has a critical location opened up. Ideally the crockett would take most of the heavy fire, since his armor is in the best shape, but he's just not positioned to be a likely priority for the heavy tanks, and probably the southern group will ignore him too.

I think the phoenix hawk will certainly survive this round too, he's gonna have a huge move mod and not many enemies that can target him.

Pretty much everyone else can die to a single unlucky shot from a heavy clan weapon, and that's not counting headshots. I feel like this is very much a win-or-lose round, if we roll decent dice we're going to eviscerate the clan forces, if they roll good dice we can lose several key units, if we roll bad and they roll well we could have a real pyrrhic victory next round or two.

Remember to Kick T5 as well.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gimmick Account posted:

What happened to the Eponas that you promised as reinforcements back at the beginning of the battle? Or was that just a joke?

Had to be a joke. A star of Eponas would likely wreck this group's poo poo fresh. Bringing them in with the group all beat down would just be a total gently caress you.

VVVVVV
Don't forget 9/14 :stonk:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 13, 2012

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Had to be a joke. A star of Eponas would likely wreck this group's poo poo fresh. Bringing them in with the group all beat down would just be a total gently caress you.

10 Eponas? I would run for the edge of the map as fast as possible. 40 MPLs + 10 SSRM racks = I want you to suffer and die horribly.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'd have to be some kind of a monster to make anyone fight ten Eponas on flat ground. The entire medium lance would've been dead by turn 4-5.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You don't gently caress with assault hovers. It's just not worth it. They will get behind you with stupid high move mods and ludicrous firepower since none of them mount more armor than a used poo poo rag.

The Epona effectively has a 450 engine but only has to pay for a 215 because hovercraft.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 13, 2012

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

You don't gently caress with assault hovers. It's just not worth it. They will get behind you with stupid high move mods and ludicrous firepower since none of them mount more armor than a used poo poo rag.

The Epona effectively has a 450 engine but only has to pay for a 215 because hovercraft.

I want to horrify you. Using SAW, stick an XL engine in an Epona and you can put 9.5 tons FF armor on it. Lolvehicles still comes into play, but without that....

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
You think that's bad? With XL engine, you can get 9.5 tons of FF armor, and for max critseeking funtimes 4 SSRM 6s with a ton of ammo each. Oh, and 10/15 move.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

Remember to Kick T5 as well.

Ain't my first dance, son. I'mma punt the sucker.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The other day I made a superheavy hover that was 7/11 with 400 points of armor, a snubnose ppc, an lb20x, ecm, c3 slave and because I couldn't think of anything else to cram on it, 3 machine guns in each arc (12 total) with half a ton of ammo to keep people from dropping infantry on it. It may have also had a targeting computer. I also made a double turreted lb20x version, but that's pretty much asking to start a fistfight at the table.

Though the other great thing about the Epona is that it doesn't have anything real fancy so it costs less than 3 million cbills. There are tech 1 light mechs that cost more than that.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 13, 2012

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Hover tanks are just amazing. Even in IS1 play you have things like the Saladin and the Pegasus.

VVV The Savannah Master is the most broken vee ever. People who field them are horrible monsters.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 13, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Katrina Steiner gave us the Savannah Master and the Banshee-3S. She clearly discovered the lost book of construction rules.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

The pilot disabled it. He didn't want his `Mech captured. :ssh: Also, I forgot about CASE entirely (which amazes me, since it was part of my 'it's OK to overheat' strategy) and errors in the players' favor remain.
It's possible that the salvage would outweight the chance of the Warhammer doing more damage for another turn. I'm not sure which would benefit the players more, but either way the arms are easily saved, as are the legs.

KnoxZone posted:

VVV The Savannah Master is the most broken vee ever. People who field them are horrible monsters.
I really am.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

KnoxZone posted:

Hover tanks are just amazing. Even in IS1 play you have things like the Saladin and the Pegasus.

They get even scarier once 3058 comes out.

Lvl 1 scary hovertanks:

Pegasus (2x SRM-6, ML on an 8/12 platform with decent armor)
Savanah Master (5 ton Medium Laser Jet Engine)
Plainsman (Faster Pegasus with a SRM-2 instead of a ML, thinner armor)
Saladin (AC/20, no turret, but you're a 8/12)
Zephyr (3x ML, SRM-6, SL, 9/14)
Harasser (Baby Pegasus/Plainsman, 2x SRM-6, 10/15, Fragile)
Drillson (LL, LRM-10, 2x SRM-2, 9/14)

Lvl 2 sees the introduction of the Regulator (Gauss rifle on a 45 ton hover), the LPL/streak version of the Drillson, the Fulcrum (ECM and TAG on a fast hover, oh and it has decent armor/weapons too! Very pricey though with an XL engine)

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Taerkar posted:

Lvl 2 sees the introduction of the Regulator (Gauss rifle on a 45 ton hover), the LPL/streak version of the Drillson, the Fulcrum (ECM and TAG on a fast hover, oh and it has decent armor/weapons too! Very pricey though with an XL engine)

As far as Level 2 Hovers go, the Tamerlane is a surprisingly nice machine as well. Not quite as fast as the Savannah Master but close, and it packs the medium laser on a turret which really opens it up for firing arcs. Even better is the variant that drops the SRM 2 for a pair of forward and a pair of rear mounted RL 10's to give it some extra alpha.

Hover tanks in general tend to be a real badass category.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Clearly one of the next scenario choices must include an assault lance vs equal bv in savanna masters of all kinds.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Clearly one of the next scenario choices must include an assault lance vs equal bv in savanna masters of all kinds.

Assuming the Goons are in the Savannah Masters, I approve. If not, you are a horrid monster.

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
Can't we just have a battalion of what would have been called Po tanks against a Binary of Clan mechs.

Or teach us about how awesome fighting mechs are as infantry in a urban area.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

Assuming the Goons are in the Savannah Masters, I approve. If not, you are a horrid monster.

SPOILER ALERT: That is the Lyran Commonwealth's plan to defeat the Steel Vipers.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

KnoxZone posted:

Do you really want this thread to disintegrate trying to manage orders from 40+ people?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Do you really want this thread to disintegrate trying to manage orders from 40+ people?

The number would quickly diminish. Preferably with collisions.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The easy way to handle that would be to use vehicles as "reinforcement waves" so there are only ever 5 out at a time.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Chronojam posted:

The easy way to handle that would be to use vehicles as "reinforcement waves" so there are only ever 5 out at a time.

That defeats the purpose :v:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Chronojam posted:

Or have one person handling multiple vehicles.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

To ensure maximum safety for the goon pilots, they all get Great Turtles.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I'm back in a place with 3G so I'll have my orders in significantly later tonight, and I'll be back in the google doc in a few hours as well.

On the upside, the week long music festival was GREAT.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Remember: We are already dead, fully disgraced. Do not shirk from battle, do not fall back: to do so is to be useless in the face of the long reach of the foe. Draw near, and blow their fragile machines apart, that we may pick up the pieces at leisure.

"Li Po" posted:

We fought for Mulberry Springs
Die now for Garlic River.
Wash our swords in Parthian Seas,
Feed our mounts on T’ien Shan snows.
Thousands of miles to and fro.
The Three Armies tired and old.
These Huns kill instead of ploughing,
Sow white bones in desert sand.
Ch’in built the Great Wall.
Han keeps the bright beacons.
These fires never die.
These wars never end.
Hand to hand we fight and fail,
Horses screaming to the skies.
Kites and crows pick at our flesh
Perch on dead trees with our dead.
We paint the grasses red,
Because our General had a plan.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Remember: We are already dead, fully disgraced. Do not shirk from battle, do not fall back: to do so is to be useless in the face of the long reach of the foe. Draw near, and blow their fragile machines apart, that we may pick up the pieces at leisure.

"The thing about Death Commandos is... they're supposed to die tonight. I'm on a real spiritual high right now brother. Real high. It's the prophecy! It was foretold like a thousand years before dinosaurs."

"As cool as that sounds, how awesome would it be to deny the prophecy?"

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Considering the fact I'm going into melee range this turn, I find this quite apropos. (Die, you drat hover tank, die!)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Taerkar posted:

Harasser (Baby Pegasus/Plainsman, 2x SRM-6, 10/15, Fragile)
In a stroke of weird they're all the same size.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Eh, when a PPC hit can one-shot you it's not quite the same.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Ok. So my left Torso has 9 structure left, that's workable. I had a big effort post about why I should go south over north because tactics and such, but no matter where I go I can't get out of the range of something that could tear off my left torso in one shot. So we're going gutsy and jumping up and down on a tank while I unload everything ever into the side of the Incubus. Luckily, Grandmaster Bullshit Ion Rush isn't here, so my rear armor is completely safe right?

Maybe if I explode my 100 ton frame will crush the tank beneath it.

Also, the Gyro maufacturers I had noted down to be shot for faulty craftsmanship might yet live. If by some chance the Atlas and Cat both make it through this mission without stumbling due to the Gyros, they may only be flogged. Anyone in the company that lives to see home again, be sure to see they are properly punished.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 14, 2012

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Ok. So my left Torso has 9 structure left, that's workable. I had a big effort post about why I should go south over north because tactics and such, but no matter where I go I can't get out of the range of something that could tear off my left torso in one shot. So we're going gutsy and jumping up and down on a tank while I unload everything ever into the side of the Incubus. Luckily, Grandmaster Bullshit Ion Rush isn't here, so my rear armor is completely safe right?

Maybe if I explode my 100 ton frame will crush the tank beneath it.

Also, the Gyro maufacturers I had noted down to be shot for faulty craftsmanship might yet live. If by some chance the Atlas and Cat both make it through this mission without stumbling due to the Gyros, they may only be flogged. Anyone in the company that lives to see home again, be sure to see they are properly punished.

PTN, you need to update the Atlas's status in the second half of the last update, as you list the Atlas as having 16/21 Structure in the LT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Also, the Gyro maufacturers I had noted down to be shot for faulty craftsmanship might yet live.

There's nothing wrong with the gyros.

... it was the armor that failed utterly when faced with a .50 caliber machine gun.

• Locked thread