Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

My favorite part of that scene has always been (paraphrasing):

Bartlett: Do you want to write my eulogy, or do you want to play some basketball?
Toby: Can I be honest with you, sir?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post

A million thank yous.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Did you just upload this? I searched "west wing basketball" not 2 hours ago and got nothing :xd:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes I did

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Does anyone know why season 5 is universally regarded as the worst?

I am on a rewatch with my wife, and we're almost done with season 4, and looking at the one sentence synopsis of the season 5 episodes, I don't see anything there that offends me, so I can't put my finger on why it's considered so bad.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I got a message from my girlfriend a couple days ago - "so when are we watching more West Wing?" She's a keeper... And we're only on episode 19 of season 1 - she hasn't even seen the best stuff.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Does anyone know why season 5 is universally regarded as the worst?

I am on a rewatch with my wife, and we're almost done with season 4, and looking at the one sentence synopsis of the season 5 episodes, I don't see anything there that offends me, so I can't put my finger on why it's considered so bad.

Sorkin isn't writing them, for one. I think the end of season 4 puts the show in a really depressing place and 5 doesn't pull it out of that funk really. It also does some questionable things with the characters, especially Leo.

It's not terrible, but almost every scene feels...incomplete. It's missing the polish that, for good or bad, Sorkin would bring to the table. It's still kind of evident in 6 and 7 too but I think 5 was a learning curve season.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Both times I've watched the show it's been in a giant bender and I couldn't really tell you what episodes are in which season. I think five is the Israel stuff?

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Season five also does a lot of things to Josh as well, including adding one of the worst characters in the show's history, Ryan Pierce. God I hate him.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Grand Fromage posted:

Both times I've watched the show it's been in a giant bender and I couldn't really tell you what episodes are in which season. I think five is the Israel stuff?

The Israel episodes start with the season 5 finale, the Camp David episodes (which I'd say are amongs the show's worst together with 90 Miles Away) are at the start of season 6.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

spamman posted:

Season five also does a lot of things to Josh as well, including adding one of the worst characters in the show's history, Ryan Pierce. God I hate him.

In one of his earlier episodes, Josh can't Get Something Done, and there's a quick scene of Pierce calling one of his family connections, and then later on It is Miraculously Done. Does this ever get mentioned at any stage afterwards?

Did the writers ever mention what he was all about / if he was a dropped plotline? I didn't find him terrible, just strange, watching this mostly inoffensive, self-assured rich kid breeze through without a care in the world, no drama or conflict whatsoever. He doesn't even get to pull a "seeya shitlords!" on the way out for all of Josh's abuse, just invites him to his awesome party and then commences being Secretary of State for Awesome Cars or whatever.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I didn't understand Pierce the first time, then I had worked in politics before watching the show again. He reminded me of a lot of the douchebags that blow through the office. I don't know if that's what they were going for but it worked for me on the rewatch.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I'm on my 5th watchthrough of this show, and I'm on 'In Excelsis Deo', and I know I'm beating a dead horse with this, but goddamn does Schiff do a fantastic job. His delivery of

"I'm...I'm an influential person I'm a...powerful person"

It's a crime against humanity that Schiff seems to have not gotten a ton of work because he really, really kills it in this show. Toby is one of TV's all time best characters imo

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

School Bully posted:

In one of his earlier episodes, Josh can't Get Something Done, and there's a quick scene of Pierce calling one of his family connections, and then later on It is Miraculously Done. Does this ever get mentioned at any stage afterwards?

Did the writers ever mention what he was all about / if he was a dropped plotline? I didn't find him terrible, just strange, watching this mostly inoffensive, self-assured rich kid breeze through without a care in the world, no drama or conflict whatsoever. He doesn't even get to pull a "seeya shitlords!" on the way out for all of Josh's abuse, just invites him to his awesome party and then commences being Secretary of State for Awesome Cars or whatever.

I can't bring myself to rewatch Season 5, but on first viewing, it seemed like Pierce was doing all of this stuff behind Josh's back as a way to try to make himself useful. The problem being that because Josh had no clue what was going on, he thought it was his actions that were making things happen; at which point, why wouldn't you keep on doing the same stuff.

Then when Josh did something without Pierce making a call, it went horribly wrong. Josh got blamed, but I couldn't really find fault with what he was doing - as far as he was concerned, he was on a pretty good streak. The plotline annoyed me and the character annoyed me.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
As someone said, Ses 5 is depressing, and a complete tone shift. I think its examplified by the episode The Supremes, the one episode everyone likes in season 5: Donna makes a passing reference to something unrelated, and the senior staff solves a problem in an elegant manner. Its a bit formulaic (its basically the same way they solved the land use rider in Season 1 by using an obscure law), but hey, both episodes end on a high note and everyone feels good.

In season 5, episodes ends with death and/or misery instead (Han in particular :smith:)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
But they put Donna's parents cats on the Supreme Court!

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Yeah, that's why that's the one of the few good episodes. It feels much more like West Wing than most other episodes.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The characters don't feel like themselves in Season 5. Everyone is just sad and angry the whole time, and it never really picks up. I have no problem with the subject matter, but it lost a lot of the joy that earlier seasons had.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
The only thing about Pierce I particularly enjoyed was in "The Supremes," after his introduces himself to the Judiciary Committee director, she's all like "Is he the one who flipped the car in Nice?"

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

kingturnip posted:

I can't bring myself to rewatch Season 5, but on first viewing, it seemed like Pierce was doing all of this stuff behind Josh's back as a way to try to make himself useful. The problem being that because Josh had no clue what was going on, he thought it was his actions that were making things happen; at which point, why wouldn't you keep on doing the same stuff.

Exactly, they never bother to round it off: Is he doing it to impress Josh? To spite him? Maybe he passionately believes in the Thing itself? Shits and giggles? He has absolutely nothing to prove so probably the latter.

Thinking about it made me snort at something from the start of Clancy's Hunt for Red October which was vaguely "The President trusted Jack Ryan completely as he came from old money and was thus bribe proof and obviously doing the job out of sheer patriotism". Suspect now shits n giggles would probably be more apt.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Watching the Newsroom just makes me long for the 30 second awesome WW intro. The Newsroom's titles, while a commendable effort, are just too boring. :(

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The SARS Volta posted:

The only thing about Pierce I particularly enjoyed was in "The Supremes," after his introduces himself to the Judiciary Committee director, she's all like "Is he the one who flipped the car in Nice?"

I've watched the West Wing a couple of times. Once on TV, Once on DVD and once again (where I skipped season five.)

Who the gently caress is Pierce? Have I just deleted season five and "pierce" out of my memory? Are you guys making up some character? Is it a nickname perhaps?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

LordPants posted:

I've watched the West Wing a couple of times. Once on TV, Once on DVD and once again (where I skipped season five.)

Who the gently caress is Pierce? Have I just deleted season five and "pierce" out of my memory? Are you guys making up some character? Is it a nickname perhaps?

He was Josh's intern in Season 5. Josh hated having him around, but the kid was very well-connected (a relative of the former president Pierce, I believe) and thus impossible to get rid of. I think he left to work for that senator who resigned from the Democratic Party, which was one of the final phases of that season's "poo poo all over Josh" plan.

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

I'm pretty sure his full name was Ryan Pierce, though I don't recall anyone really using his first name that often. He was played by Jesse Bradford if that helps.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I've been burning through the series since it came up for free on Amazon Prime, which has meant a lot of very late and sometimes very drunk nights with the series. I've just finished season 5; I didn't find it all that bad, but definitely not as compelling as the first 4 seasons. Anyway, I just realized that I haven't seen, or don't remember seeing, Amy in like 20 episodes (if at all in season 5). Did she leave for some specific reason, or did she just kind of disappear?

Can't say I'm disappointed since I never really liked her character, I just kind of realized that she was missing all the sudden.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Amy gets fired from the White House in early season 5 for not being entirely sure when to shut the hell up, and makes like one appearance each in season 6 and 7.

e: Oh yeah, she's not fired but then quits anyway. I remember it's in "Constituency of One", because I love that line when Josh is yelling at her, but also because it is probably the 2nd worst episode.

e2: Same episode.

CJ: "We are here to serve the country."
Leo: "We are the country."

Ooookay, so I guess for the purposes of these 43 minutes, Leo is a fascist? But for the tedium of 90 Miles Away, this would be the worst episode. It's loving close.

e: Two more from Leo in that episode. "The report will reflect administration views, that's the line." "I'm not apologizing to you." Seriously, how hard do you have to work to make John Spencer seem like the biggest oval office on the planet. I have seen the episode probably 5 times and have never once understood why he is that monumentally useless all of a sudden.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 15, 2012

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
They do that to Josh in season five a lot as well. He's suddenly the least competent guy in the world for like half a season.

Also, I don't remember anything about 90 Miles Away (Not rare for a S6/7 non-campaign episode). What's so bad about it?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I don't mind 90 Miles Away, it's just not that interesting. It's about Leo going to Cuba to try to reopen relations and also about his past with Kate Harper which he doesn't remember because he was drunk. Also there's a subplot about Charlie and termites, so yeah.

I rewatch the series basically all the time, and the episodes I skip every time are Slow News Day, which is the one in which Toby tries to save social security but gets screwed by Josh and Will because it's a secret, and The Long Goodbye, which is the one where CJ goes home for her reunion and her dad is worse off than she realized.

For anyone new, I wouldn't recommend skipping any episodes, but on multiple viewings, these really don't hold anything for me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Asiina posted:

I don't mind 90 Miles Away, it's just not that interesting. It's about Leo going to Cuba to try to reopen relations and also about his past with Kate Harper which he doesn't remember because he was drunk. Also there's a subplot about Charlie and termites, so yeah.

I rewatch the series basically all the time, and the episodes I skip every time are Slow News Day, which is the one in which Toby tries to save social security but gets screwed by Josh and Will because it's a secret, and The Long Goodbye, which is the one where CJ goes home for her reunion and her dad is worse off than she realized.

For anyone new, I wouldn't recommend skipping any episodes, but on multiple viewings, these really don't hold anything for me.

I watch Slow News Day on my rewatches, but just because it's such a weird episode. But I skip Access, because I really hate that one. Maybe it's just because it comes right after The Supremes, which made me think that maybe season 5 would get back on track, and then Access ruins my hopes. But I really can't stand that one.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Access wouldn't be nearly so bad if they didn't show the footage of CJ trying to explain her job like 4 times throughout the episode. It's just repetitive.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Maud Moonshine posted:

I'm pretty sure his full name was Ryan Pierce, though I don't recall anyone really using his first name that often. He was played by Jesse Bradford if that helps.

No I just have literally expunged season five from my brain. When I went back through it with my girlfriend I told her to skip it and I ran down the show as: "Everyone sucks, Leo has a heart-attack, Fitz dies, Donna is in a coma."

Killing Fitz was one of the most :psyduck: moments. Completely un-necessary and carries less weight than Bartlet's doctor dying in like the third episode. And we only knew the doctor for like five minutes. That's how far the show fell.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Finally getting into this show, and yeah, it's right up my alley. People don't talk like this in real life, not with any consistency, but it's fun to watch.

Also, I'm sure I'm not the first Friday Night Lights alum to catch Connie Britton as an assistant to Bruno Gianelli. Man, Mrs. Coach was a looker back in her day.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

isk posted:

Finally getting into this show, and yeah, it's right up my alley. People don't talk like this in real life, not with any consistency, but it's fun to watch.

Also, I'm sure I'm not the first Friday Night Lights alum to catch Connie Britton as an assistant to Bruno Gianelli. Man, Mrs. Coach was a looker back in her day.

The sun has yet to set on Mrs. Coach's day. :colbert:

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

"You know, if you don't want to run again, I respect that. But if you don't run because you think it's gonna be too hard, or you think you're gonna lose? Well, God, Jed, I don't even want to know you."

Every single time, that destroys me. This show is the best.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

I started watching this series recently, nearing the end of season 4 right now.

It's weird, I find much of the rhetoric pretty terrible and Aaron Sorkin such an rear end, but it has so many great moments it's hard to hate.

Newsroom is loving garbage, but this show is worthy of its accolades. There are so many instances of Bartlet being so loving presidential that it hits this emotional center, where you take a snapshot of American history and you think "I wish things worked this way."

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Holy poo poo, I wish every episode could be The Debate. All the same scenarios and circumstances that are presented in the show normally, but debated by opposing points of view. I would watch that. That said, I'm watching this and this show is awesome.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Wow, today I learned that Sidney Portier was originally supposed to play the president :monocle:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Just watched Slow News Day.

Wow, I know a few people said it was a skippable, but no sir, nothing wrong with that. That was a very season 1-ish episode. IE, you don't need back story or context, just a nice, all in one episode with no secondary plot of note. I really enjoyed it.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

az posted:

Wow, today I learned that Sidney Portier was originally supposed to play the president :monocle:

That would have been really cool. Along the same lines, Allison Janney may in fact be my alternate universe wife, but CCH Pounder would have kicked all kinds of rear end as press secretary. But Eugene Levy as Toby? Somebody was smoking crack that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Watching season 1 in HD and in widescreen on Amazon Prime is freaking me out :psyduck: This is awesome.

• Locked thread