Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

That sounds good, I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

While I'm on a roll here, I just bought a new Martin HD-35. Would it be suicidally stupid and reckless to try and remove the pickguard? I've done a bit of investigating and it seems like a simple process involving a hair dryer. Has anyone done that before?

stuart scott fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

stuart scott irl posted:

What's a good way to mic an acoustic fretless bass? It has a pickup that I'm not too in love with. I have a stereo pair of condensers that I use in an x/y setup to record my acoustic guitar, but I can't seem to find a sweet spot for mic'ing the bass like that; it comes off dull and doesn't really cut through.

Have you tried combined the signal from the pickup and the mics? Adding the pickup may give you enough presence to cut through.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Does anyone have any book suggestions for theory? In a perfect world it would have exercises or something.

I really dislike having to look at a web page for this sort of thing. I guess if there is an incredible site with exercises or questions or activities I'd be interested in knowing about that too.

I'm learning guitar if that matters.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

moctopus posted:

Does anyone have any book suggestions for theory? In a perfect world it would have exercises or something.

I really dislike having to look at a web page for this sort of thing. I guess if there is an incredible site with exercises or questions or activities I'd be interested in knowing about that too.

For guitar-centric chord theory you can't do much better than Ted Greene's stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Chord-Chemistry-Ted-Greene/dp/0898986966/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344943192&sr=8-1&keywords=ted+greene

and

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Chord-...ords=ted+greene

and finally

http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Guitar-Single-Soloing-Volume/dp/0769209726/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1344943192&sr=8-3&keywords=ted+greene

Ted Greene has literally forgotten more about guitar than most of us will ever learn. He's no longer with us but there's a website up with a lot of his lessons and stuff on it that is also very helpful.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
I want to learn how to play Banjo. What is a good first time Banjo and starters guide?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

moctopus posted:

Mark Sarnecki's "Complete Elementary Music Rudiments" is terrific. It's a 300 page workbook of pure exercises (with explanatory material) to take you from reading staff notation through intervals, chords, modes, scales, melody, and cadences.

Ricky Rooksby's "How to Write Songs on Guitar" is also great. It's guitar-specific, aimed at pop/rock players (in terms of examples), and focuses on how chords and chord progressions are constructed, scales, and general discussion of songwriting.

The Ted Greene books that butros recommended are excellent but HARD. They are aimed primarily at jazz players, they are awesomely chocked full of info, but they are extremely rigorous and challenging.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
This is probably a dumb question, but is it possible to control MIDI based VSTis with a regular rear end electric guitar? I know you can get a MIDI pickup, but I can't afford to be buying any gear at the moment. I've been getting into electronic stuff but I can't play keyboard with any sort of confidence, but I'm a decent guitar player. I like to improvise a lot too and guitar is my instrument of choice for that.

I mean, I have a MIDI controller, but I just plain suck at keys.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Thanks for the help!

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

cat doter posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but is it possible to control MIDI based VSTis with a regular rear end electric guitar? I know you can get a MIDI pickup, but I can't afford to be buying any gear at the moment. I've been getting into electronic stuff but I can't play keyboard with any sort of confidence, but I'm a decent guitar player. I like to improvise a lot too and guitar is my instrument of choice for that.

I mean, I have a MIDI controller, but I just plain suck at keys.

You can with this http://www.sonuus.com/products_g2m.html

The problem is that it's monophonic so you can do chords or even double stops.

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho
So I'm wanting to start the process of creating my own album. The problem is I don't really understand how to edit sounds and stuff in my DAW I guess. I can use their stock sounds, and pan stuff around to create a semi horrible mix but that's about it.

Where do I start to figure out how to create the exact bass sound I want or the synth sound that I'm looking for in Logic Express 8?

I want to do mostly everything midi except for strummed guitar parts which I'll have a buddy record for me. So yeah, any help? I'm not really sure where to start.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

HollisBrown posted:

You can with this http://www.sonuus.com/products_g2m.html

The problem is that it's monophonic so you can do chords or even double stops.

Probably better to just modify one of my cheap guitars with a midi pickup then.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Guitar-/3858/i.html?_nkw=rock+band+squier

You might be amazed how cheap a Rock Band Squier Stratocaster is these days. Fully functioning MIDI guitar.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Warcabbit posted:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Guitar-/3858/i.html?_nkw=rock+band+squier

You might be amazed how cheap a Rock Band Squier Stratocaster is these days. Fully functioning MIDI guitar.

I have Rock Band 3 so I guess it'd be cool to use it with that as well!

Anyone have one of these things? Do they feel cheap? What about the action? I hate lovely cheap guitars with high action. Not that I'm saying all squiers are like that though.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

cat doter posted:

I have Rock Band 3 so I guess it'd be cool to use it with that as well!

Anyone have one of these things? Do they feel cheap? What about the action? I hate lovely cheap guitars with high action. Not that I'm saying all squiers are like that though.
Mine is still set up like it was when I bought it new out of the box and I would say it's actually too low. The middle strings suffer from near unplayable fret buzz. I haven't done anything about it yet though cause you use a little foam pad to mute the strings when you play pro guitar anyway. I think you would do the same for any midi output cause the signals it sends in midi are based on where your fingers are on the fret board and which strings you pluck but not the actual sound they make.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I just bought my fiancee a ukulele and it's not staying in tune. I play guitar, but steel string, and her uke is nylon strings, so I'm not familiar with how they behave. Is it normal for nylon strings to take more time breaking in before they'll hold a tune consistently, or do we have other problems? Is it possible that it's how the strings are wound on the pegs or the bridge? I don't think the tuners themselves are slipping, but I'm not sure.

Whore Memorial
May 25, 2012
Yeah I have nylon strings on my acoustic and it can sometimes take a few tunings before you get them to stay in tune.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I'm looking for a non-leather strap that is built like a leather one (with no plastic/metal bits). Basically, I want to leave the strap on when I put my bass/guitar in their case and don't want parts to scuff/dent up the instrument. I have some leather straps but I find them a little too short and grippy on my clothes, so I would like to try a nylon or whatever one, but I can't find any at all.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Did you try turning your leather strap around so that the slippery side is against your clothes?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

muike posted:

Did you try turning your leather strap around so that the slippery side is against your clothes?

Yes, one of them does have a slippery side and it does help with that. I am trying to get into the habit of using strap locks more so I want to get a few more straps to keep with specific instruments, I'm just hoping to find some non-leather ones that meet my needs.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
If I'm not worried about a strap looking stylish, I'm happy with a basic polypropylene strap: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/ernie-ball-2-poly-strap

Sgt. Slaughter
Sep 3, 2008
I bought a pair of M-Audio BX8a's, and am experiencing some very faint static which I believe is from AC interference from my power source. I've read a bit about AC sound filters but don't really know what exactly I should buy. The sound persists whether or not the monitors are plugged into a sound source. I can't hear it unless i put my ear right up next to the tweeter, but I'd still like to get rid of it if feasibly possible.

Some googling lead me to this: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202-Audio-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI

Would it solve the problem I'm having? Other suggestions would be great.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

h_double posted:

If I'm not worried about a strap looking stylish, I'm happy with a basic polypropylene strap: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/ernie-ball-2-poly-strap
These have the plastic parts that I'm trying to avoid.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sgt. Slaughter posted:

I bought a pair of M-Audio BX8a's, and am experiencing some very faint static which I believe is from AC interference from my power source. I've read a bit about AC sound filters but don't really know what exactly I should buy. The sound persists whether or not the monitors are plugged into a sound source. I can't hear it unless i put my ear right up next to the tweeter, but I'd still like to get rid of it if feasibly possible.

Some googling lead me to this: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202-Audio-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI

Not really. That unit's not necessarily intended for that purpose, and Behringer gear generally introduces more noise in my experience. What are you outputting from to the BX8s? Do you have an audio interface? I have some 5as and have never really gotten rid of this problem, though using a power strip that does line isolation and delivers a consistent voltage helps. I also drive them through a PreSonus audiobox, which seems to be really susceptible to RF interference, so depending on your source you might be getting noise from other sources than the speakers themselves.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Sgt. Slaughter posted:

Definitely make sure you are are using an audio interface or mixer with balanced outputs to feed the monitors (that Behringer does not have balanced outs), using balanced (XLR or TRS) cables.

You might want to look into a power conditioner (Fuhrman makes several, I personally use one by Alesis); if you get one, try to get one locally from someplace that will let you return it if it doesn't do the trick.

Also, google "ground loop isolation" and do some reading.

h_double fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 3, 2012

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sgt. Slaughter posted:

Is it a constant humming or a high-pitched beeplybeep, a bit like a dial-up modem in the distance?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Why is it that when I listen to the sound of the microphones through the interface, the sound is slightly different when recorded on the DAW?

Using SONAR by the way...

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hammer Floyd posted:

Why is it that when I listen to the sound of the microphones through the interface, the sound is slightly different when recorded on the DAW?

Using SONAR by the way...

How is the sound different from one to the other? Are you listening to the same sources through the same outputs in both cases? Headphones or speakers?

Often it's got something to do with either your interface or your software's AD/DA conversion. Most interfaces send a fairly passive analog signal to the speaker and headphone outs, while converting to digital to send to your DAW. Usually the quality of the AD/DA converters can be a major price point factor with interfaces, so depending on how good your interface is that could definitely be a potential reason.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Comfortably Numb is in Bm, and seems to switch to D major for the bridge (which goes D - A - C - G). Isn't the C sharp in the key of D major? Why can we use a natural C?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Colonel J posted:

Comfortably Numb is in Bm, and seems to switch to D major for the bridge (which goes D - A - C - G). Isn't the C sharp in the key of D major? Why can we use a natural C?

Do you mean the C chord or the note C? If you mean why is there are C chord in the chorus, well the chorus just changes key. The D and the A are in D the C and the G are in C and you just have to change with the chords.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

HollisBrown posted:

Do you mean the C chord or the note C? If you mean why is there are C chord in the chorus, well the chorus just changes key. The D and the A are in D the C and the G are in C and you just have to change with the chords.

I meant the C chord in the bridge and chorus. All these key changes confuse me a bit but I'm getting the hang of it slowly.

edit:
Playing it right now I'm not less confused. The chorus goes
code:
A   C           G            D
I... have become comfortably numb
The A chord fits in with D major, but then it switches to C major when he plays the C chord and goes to Dmaj for the D chord?

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 7, 2012

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Colonel J posted:

I meant the C chord in the bridge and chorus. All these key changes confuse me a bit but I'm getting the hang of it slowly.

edit:
Playing it right now I'm not less confused. The chorus goes
code:
A   C           G            D
I... have become comfortably numb
The A chord fits in with D major, but then it switches to C major when he plays the C chord and goes to Dmaj for the D chord?

The G makes less sense to me, C would be a vii chord in the key of D, which makes sense to resolve to D, but since it goes to the G first it's a little odd. Though writing this out reminds me that we talked about something like this in my music theory classes in college, something about relative keys?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Epi Lepi posted:

The G makes less sense to me, C would be a vii chord in the key of D, which makes sense to resolve to D, but since it goes to the G first it's a little odd. Though writing this out reminds me that we talked about something like this in my music theory classes in college, something about relative keys?

Cm Would the vii not C maj. It basically just modulates down a whole step, there's not really a whole to "get" here. The G chord is the maj IV which makes a ton of sense. The G to D isn't really meant to be a resolution as the phrase doesn't really end there, but if you wanted to think of it as a resolution IV to I is called a plagal cadence. The G chord in this tune is in both keys so it can serve as place to move between the keys, but you don't really need to, just use a D major scale over the D and A or hell even an A major scale would work, then move everything down a whole step to a C maj scale. If you transcribe his solo you can see that he's basically just playing the notes out of the chord with some passing tones here and there.

Edit: You got me all hosed up. There would be a C#dim chord in D not Cm.

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 7, 2012

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
So to summarize: there's a key change in the chorus, but only for one bar, when they play the C chord. That's it?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Colonel J posted:

So to summarize: there's a key change in the chorus, but only for one bar, when they play the C chord. That's it?

No I would say for 2 bars. The G is the V chord of C, you could treat it as the IV of D but it will sound better as related to C.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

HollisBrown posted:

No I would say for 2 bars. The G is the V chord of C, you could treat it as the IV of D but it will sound better as related to C.

It's all my bad, for some reason I was thinking G was VI and screwing myself up. And then I wrote minor 7 chord instead of major. Looking at it again, wouldn't you say the C is fitting into that rule where you can substitute VII chords for V chords? In that case, it isn't really even changing keys. gently caress, I can't remember how it all works and it's only been a year since I took a theory class. I need to brush up.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Epi Lepi posted:

It's all my bad, for some reason I was thinking G was VI and screwing myself up. And then I wrote minor 7 chord instead of major. Looking at it again, wouldn't you say the C is fitting into that rule where you can substitute VII chords for V chords? In that case, it isn't really even changing keys. gently caress, I can't remember how it all works and it's only been a year since I took a theory class. I need to brush up.

Son, you are waaaaaay over thinking a rock progression. Also there wouldn't be a substitution since he is already using a natural V chord.

I'm not saying there aren't other ways to think about this, but for improvisational purposes I think thinking about it in 2 keys going I-V, I-V is the easiest.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

HollisBrown posted:

Son, you are waaaaaay over thinking a rock progression. Also there wouldn't be a substitution since he is already using a natural V chord.

I'm not saying there aren't other ways to think about this, but for improvisational purposes I think thinking about it in 2 keys going I-V, I-V is the easiest.

Thanks a lot Hollis, you've been very helpful! I didn't know changing keys like that right in the middle of a chorus was A Thing. I thought key changes were a bit more, "static" or predictable if you will, like at the start of a measure or something.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Colonel J posted:

Thanks a lot Hollis, you've been very helpful! I didn't know changing keys like that right in the middle of a chorus was A Thing. I thought key changes were a bit more, "static" or predictable if you will, like at the start of a measure or something.

Well you just have to remember it's rock music, so the "rules" are practically nonexistent.

Also that song is suuuuuper slow. If you had that same progression going by at 180 bpm I would approach it differently. It's all context.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
Would a djembe or bongos be better for jamming with an acoustic guitar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

HollisBrown posted:

Well you just have to remember it's rock music, so the "rules" are practically nonexistent.

Also that song is suuuuuper slow. If you had that same progression going by at 180 bpm I would approach it differently. It's all context.

Just out of curiosity, what would it change for you?