Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

And it's pretty freakin' awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixpodsix
Dec 4, 2008

BonoMan posted:

And it's pretty freakin' awesome!

Agreed. My first try, lots of ghosts and non-euclidean geometry everywhere but it's pretty drat easy to use. I've seen some really impressive panoramas on the site already.

Edit: I can't wait for the wraparound penis concept to pop up.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
When I went to install it it told me that it wanted to use a gyroscope that I don't have. Will it still work well enough without one?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Anonononomous posted:

When I went to install it it told me that it wanted to use a gyroscope that I don't have. Will it still work well enough without one?

Seems to work reasonably without one on my Omnia 7.

However after spending a few minutes snapping photos, I hit the button to stitch them together and it just crashed.

Ixpodsix
Dec 4, 2008
So it looks like Windows Phone/Windows 8 tablets will be getting some AirPlay-like functionality. I'd like to believe this will be Mango compatible if it releases in the fall, but who knows! Neat regardless.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Just read 2Do doesn't have any plans to go WP7.

Sad, really, as I use the 2Do app w/toodledeo daily. They said they don't have the resources and the market is too small. Good thing they use their resources to support a Symbian app!

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

hotsauce posted:

Just read 2Do doesn't have any plans to go WP7.

Sad, really, as I use the 2Do app w/toodledeo daily. They said they don't have the resources and the market is too small. Good thing they use their resources to support a Symbian app!

The lack of developer support for WP7 that still continues after, what, a year and a half since the OS launched is getting to be pretty disheartening. I get that a small marketshare is not the most appealing target to develop for if you want to sell apps, but shouldn't Microsoft be offering some sort of incentives to developers to help the OS expand, become more appealing, and get its foot in the door?

It didn't really bother me at first, because I had accepted the whole "new OS, time to grow" thing. But now time is ticking on and it doesn't feel a whole lot better than where it was when I got my phone around this time last year.

Ixpodsix
Dec 4, 2008
Final Fantasy for Xbox LIVE just came out. I've never played the original or the ports but this seems decent so far. I've had a few weird glitches after playing for about an hour; one lock-up and one instance of spazzed-out graphics with the gamma going all the way up and sprites popping out of the landscape. Also, the text seems super small and blurry. Other than than, it's pretty responsive and all the buttons work right.

I don't know how the iOS port did after launch but I'm hoping for a patch.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is there a way to force the Marketplace to check if any of my installed apps need updates? It seem to check for them at random intervals of 1-2 weeks or some such.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there a way to force the Marketplace to check if any of my installed apps need updates? It seem to check for them at random intervals of 1-2 weeks or some such.

You can force it on an app by app basis.

If you know a particular app needs to be updated, you can find that app in the marketplace, open up the listing, hit the back button and then open the listing again. The "share" button should change to an "update" button.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Maneki Neko posted:

You can force it on an app by app basis.

If you know a particular app needs to be updated, you can find that app in the marketplace, open up the listing, hit the back button and then open the listing again. The "share" button should change to an "update" button.

Thanks, already knew about this particular method. One of the many things I hope they update in WP8 or whatever it's called.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks, already knew about this particular method. One of the many things I hope they update in WP8 or whatever it's called.

It's in Windows 8 so that's a bit promising.

hokiehokiehokiehigh
Aug 3, 2007
tech tech vpi
Any suggestions for a good VoIP app?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Anonononomous posted:

What are some good games that don't need a connection to play? I rally like Wordament but whenever I try to play without a wireless connection it can't connect.

Would also like some suggestions on good and free games to play offline.

- - -

E: It's easier to score higher and get some of the achievements in Wordament by choosing one of the other languages as they have fewer players.

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 16, 2012

sarcasticsmoothie
Apr 7, 2011

Ringo R posted:

Would also like some suggestions on good and free games to play offline.

I played Minesweeper for quite a while to get all the achievements; it did start getting kind of boring after a while though.

Penguin is a good one, if you're into Tiny Wings clones.

Can't think of many other free games off the top of my head; I picked up Flight Control, having played it on iOS, and I've been having some fun with that lately.

Also, the main reason I decided to post today was because I finally understood the joke in the thread title.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

sarcasticsmoothie posted:

Penguin is a good one, if you're into Tiny Wings clones.

I picked up Rainbow Rapture Free and it's also pretty decent if somewhat Newgroundsy. It's like someone decided to make a Tiny Wings clone immediately after playing Rampage World Tour.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Hooray, Kindle app finally got updated for Mango, and has some live tile options now.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
I need an app to help me record my teachers in the classroom and then easily play it back at a faster speed later in the day. I'm trying to record and study mainly through audio (noting things that are stressed on a piece of paper to review later and to properly label the audio files) and listening to it throughout the day, that way I can pay more attention to the professor while she/he is speaking. The app would have to hold hours and hours of audio. And if possible lets me export the audio files somehow from my phone to store when I don't have enough room in my phone but want to return to it later for a mid term of final. I know the total room available depends on what I have in my phone but i don't know if all apps allow unlimited amount of authorized information to be kepy on the phone or if they have a limit built in.

Any help would be really appreciated.

edit: too out old information

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 26, 2012

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
I decided to go with Pocket Recorder. I'm having trouble syncing with Skydrive though. It's syncing over a wireless network (and I'm on atnt so I know it's not a very good network) not wifi, is that it? Every time I select a track to go to Skydrive I put my log in info and I'm told I can't log in. Every once in a while it says I need to connect with skydrive and their network, I think it's called Heartell. I can access Skydrive over the wireless no problem, it's only when I try to upload a file through this app that the poo poo starts. I also cannot use the sync option to move the files to my computer. I'll need one or the other (or ideally both) to speed up and reimport lectures on Zune. My Skydrive has a new folder named Pocket Recorder files so it registering somewhere.

Thanks.

edit: Found the website where I have to install a application on my pc to sync. Still does not work. This is a terribly designed app.

second edit: I think I'm going to buy a normal recorder, export the files, speed them up somehow then put them on skydrive and listen to them on my phone through it. Better recording (the mic on the phone really isn't meant for classrooms) and I dont have to deal with the really bad recording apps.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 26, 2012

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hey does anyone know if there is an offline GPS for Canada? I have Navigon for the U.S., I don't know why they wouldn't offer Canada.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

Hey does anyone know if there is an offline GPS for Canada? I have Navigon for the U.S., I don't know why they wouldn't offer Canada.

Nokia Drive should do the trick. I'm almost certain it is available for all WPs now.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

obeyasia posted:

Nokia Drive should do the trick. I'm almost certain it is available for all WPs now.

It isn't. That comes in WP8.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Has anyone with a first-gen WP7 device managed to install the WhatsApp 1.8 update? Won't install on my Omnia 7 and I think I'm detecting a pattern in similar complaints.

Alsen
Apr 3, 2011

Wheezle posted:

Has anyone with a first-gen WP7 device managed to install the WhatsApp 1.8 update? Won't install on my Omnia 7 and I think I'm detecting a pattern in similar complaints.

If you actually mean the 2.8 update then yeah, I've got it installed on my Omnia 7.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Sorry, yeah. 2.8.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Alsen posted:

If you actually mean the 2.8 update then yeah, I've got it installed on my Omnia 7.

:( Doesn't work for me. Bing translator won't update either.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Gold and a Pager posted:

:( Doesn't work for me. Bing translator won't update either.

Same for me, just noticed it today.

e:

quote:

If you’ve tried to download or update an app this week and keep getting an error message, I want to briefly explain why and what we’re doing about it.

We’ve run into an issue with the digital certificates used to sign apps, and this is preventing some phones from installing some apps published during the last couple of days.

We’ve investigated and determined the issue only affects phones that upgraded to Windows Phone 7.5 from an earlier version of the operating system. It does not appear to impact phones sold with Windows Phone 7.5 preinstalled.

source

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 15, 2012

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So, I'm a first time WP7 user (got my new phone the other day, a Lumia 710). Seems I've been missing out. The UI is so... buttery!

One question though; is there a goon recommended RSS reader app for WP7? Google's mobile view isn't cutting it for me. Looks like a few goons like 'Weave' after perusing the first couple pages :)

[Edit] Looks like I can't actually sync my google reader account with weave. drat.

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 15, 2012

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

teagone posted:

So, I'm a first time WP7 user (got my new phone the other day, a Lumia 710). Seems I've been missing out. The UI is so... buttery!

One question though; is there a goon recommended RSS reader app for WP7? Google's mobile view isn't cutting it for me. Looks like a few goons like 'Weave' after perusing the first couple pages :)

[Edit] Looks like I can't actually sync my google reader account with weave. drat.

I use Nextgen Reader, it's been well worth the 2 bux.

And just to clarify, were you using the iPhone view for Google reader? Is it a bit nicer and I believe it works fine in IE:

http://www.google.com/reader/i/

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

One question though; is there a goon recommended RSS reader app for WP7? Google's mobile view isn't cutting it for me.

Last time I look there were 2 or 3 that seemed pretty decent. I personally use Wonder Reader.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I use Wonder Reader but I hear good things about Feed Reader - which by the way is a terrible app name.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Can anyone recommend a good sleep cycle app? I'm thinking something that detects when you fall asleep and sets an alarm for the latest cycle before you need to wake up, rather than just a dumb calculator.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

I'm a heavy Google Reader user and have used most GReader apps on the Marketplace --- my favorite for a while was Feed Reader, but it used to be buggy. My current favorite is Nextgen Reader.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

General E posted:

I'm a heavy Google Reader user and have used most GReader apps on the Marketplace --- my favorite for a while was Feed Reader, but it used to be buggy. My current favorite is Nextgen Reader.

3rding NextGen Reader.

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Blah blah blah Nationstates is cool blah blah blah
Quite happy to see a lot of RSS reader app discussion on the last page, to answer my first query!

Has anyone here been forced to sporadically login to their Google Reader accounts, when using RSS apps linked to Google Reader? I have been using Flux for a long time, quite happy until recently because I could cache articles and images for reading while deep underground, but lately I've had this problem. Flux told me it was a known issue they were trying to replicate and provide a fix for, but it's just happening too often to stick with the app now. I was praying it isn't an occurrence with all Google Reader apps!

General E
Aug 25, 2003

jet_dee posted:

Quite happy to see a lot of RSS reader app discussion on the last page, to answer my first query!

Has anyone here been forced to sporadically login to their Google Reader accounts, when using RSS apps linked to Google Reader? I have been using Flux for a long time, quite happy until recently because I could cache articles and images for reading while deep underground, but lately I've had this problem. Flux told me it was a known issue they were trying to replicate and provide a fix for, but it's just happening too often to stick with the app now. I was praying it isn't an occurrence with all Google Reader apps!

I haven't supplied my credentials to Nextgen Reader since I installed it. I'm pretty sure Feed Reader didn't ask for them again either, except maybe after an update, so that sounds like a Flux problem.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

If you have a Nokia phone, Nokia music is up in the store finally.

It didn't show up in the Nokia Collection for me, but did show up in a search. Can't find it on the web either.

edit: It's also slow as poo poo.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 7, 2012

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
There's also a new wikipedia app called... "Wikipedia" (though it's unofficial), but is absolutely critical and a whole lot better than all of the other wikipedia alternatives thus far.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Jewmanji posted:

There's also a new wikipedia app called... "Wikipedia" (though it's unofficial), but is absolutely critical and a whole lot better than all of the other wikipedia alternatives thus far.

I'm assuming you're talking about this one?

Wikipedia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

I'm assuming you're talking about this one?

Wikipedia

That's the one, sorry for my link-less post, I keep forgetting you can do that with the WP marketplace.

• Locked thread